Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

1 hour ago, Eyebrow said:

The thing is, wherever you go, you take yourself with you...

I've been wondering about this and thinking about what has helped me with this topic...

I've been (and could say am going) through tough times with the old emotions on a roller coaster of their own some days.  Doc blames everything on perimenopause #YayNot!

The thing is that I've found the only way to stop the six lane super highway of negative thought roaring through my head is the following:

• focus on self care E.V.E.R.Y  D.A.Y  Something simple like mindfully drinking a cup of tea in my favourite mug, three deep breaths (nothing too big like go running urgh!)
  • Picking ONLY one big thing to do or focus on for the week and break it down into steps for each day.
  • Start a gratitude journal (I use an app on my phone as I am a very private person and don't want people to read it).  I type up a minimum of 3 things each night just before I go to bed.

Now this gratitude journal thing.  I wanted to slap the first person who suggested it to me.  I thought they must be deaf to have not heard me tell them about all my sorrows and I didn't feel particularly grateful right this minute.  Once I'd calmed down to a roar I discovered that doing the gratitude journal uses a different part of the brain to the "venting my sorrows" part of the brain.  So it didn't really matter too much what I was grateful for each day (and believe me some days it's just grateful that the day is over, that I'm safe and warm in my bed and I didn't kill the children - okay just kidding about that children).  I just needed to "switch on" that part of my brain every day until it became a habit.  I have been astounded at the difference it has made to my life.  I am a natural optimist fortunately but some of the medical and work issues my family has had over the past few years have sometimes been more than a person can take.  So as much as I have butted my head against the idea, doing this journal (almost) every day has saved me.  I've started doing it out loud with my kids too so that I model it for them to use.

Rainbow.jpg

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, RYLC said:

I've been wondering about this and thinking about what has helped me with this topic...

I've been (and could say am going) through tough times with the old emotions on a roller coaster of their own some days.  Doc blames everything on perimenopause #YayNot!

The thing is that I've found the only way to stop the six lane super highway of negative thought roaring through my head is the following:

• focus on self care E.V.E.R.Y  D.A.Y  Something simple like mindfully drinking a cup of tea in my favourite mug, three deep breaths (nothing too big like go running urgh!)
  • Picking ONLY one big thing to do or focus on for the week and break it down into steps for each day.
  • Start a gratitude journal (I use an app on my phone as I am a very private person and don't want people to read it).  I type up a minimum of 3 things each night just before I go to bed.

Now this gratitude journal thing.  I wanted to slap the first person who suggested it to me.  I thought they must be deaf to have not heard me tell them about all my sorrows and I didn't feel particularly grateful right this minute.  Once I'd calmed down to a roar I discovered that doing the gratitude journal uses a different part of the brain to the "venting my sorrows" part of the brain.  So it didn't really matter too much what I was grateful for each day (and believe me some days it's just grateful that the day is over, that I'm safe and warm in my bed and I didn't kill the children - okay just kidding about that children).  I just needed to "switch on" that part of my brain every day until it became a habit.  I have been astounded at the difference it has made to my life.  I am a natural optimist fortunately but some of the medical and work issues my family has had over the past few years have sometimes been more than a person can take.  So as much as I have butted my head against the idea, doing this journal (almost) every day has saved me.  I've started doing it out loud with my kids too so that I model it for them to use.

Rainbow.jpg

What a wonderful idea RYLC. We go through our lives taking things for granted that its nice to think of all the good things we should be grateful for. Fantastic that you are modelling this for your kids. I'll have to start doing this myself. ?

I think I may have to try this RYLC - also going through a bit of a downer at present. My teaching contract has not been renewed and so I will be back on the TRT treadmill-ugh. I am trying to remind myself that there are many positives to relief teaching .......spending time with my grandies is at the top of my list but there is a little bubble deep inside that feels like I am not finished with the classroom yet. I miss having those relationships with my students and their parents- finding ways to best meet their very different needs in the special ed world. Can't help but feel that my age is now against me as the department moves to try and accomodate the new graduates coming out of uni....but experience,patience and the ability to see the "bigger" picture is so important for kids with special needs and this I have in bucket loads as well as keeping up to date with latest technology, information and curriculum . Sometimes life is about accepting what you can't change ..........

• Like 2

Eyebrow I would be happy to slap this fool who calls itself a boss. Just PM me. :D:P OBD and I could form a tag team. 

Check this out.

On 12/12/2015 at 6:42 AM, ottg said:

People like these meet their match often later in life

:P....hmmmm...and this terminator even held back against that douche-bag - it was obvious he could have caused much more damage. But then on the other hand, if he did that, then the douche-bag wouldn't be able to apologise in public on TV.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Eyebrow, how was the first week at the new work?

• Like 3

We all thinking of you @Eyebrow hope everything is going well and you have settled well.

• Like 1

Come on @Eyebrow we are all holding our breath for an update.... pretty pretty please!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while, but I am alive and kicking.

Not quite acclimatised yet, but that might take a while...

I have been inundated with things to do and I have hardly come up for air.

I thought moving WITHIN Australia would be fine. I mean it is not like moving from RSA to here, right? But in some ways Queensland does feel like another country! A lot of things are done differently here. Can anyone explain the CTP - compulsory third party insurance thing to me? This was not an issue in Victoria... Even the 100 points of ID are differently weighted here!

We are in our new house, but there are still boxes everywhere.

The house is lovely. It is in fact the best house we have EVER lived in. It is big with a pool! I cant believe it. And it costs almost the same as what we paid for a tiny place in Melbourne, with an hour commute to add to the pain.

The kids are happy. They swim every day. The pool (not heated) water temp is 34 degrees! They take the heat in there strides. But they dont carry the extra kilos like the 2 adults in the house. :ph34r:

It has been strange unpacking the boxes with coats and scarfs and hot water bottles when it is in the mid to high 30's everyday. I can not imagine ever having worn those! I just packed it straight back into the boxes, and it is in the garage now.

My son's school is not the same quality as he had in Melbourne, but the people are nice and friendly and he likes it.

My work has been super hectic. Working for the government comes with a lot of mandatory training. I now know how to operate a fire extinguisher and have had cultural sensitivity training. :huh:  

To go from bottom of the pile to managing my own dept and staff has been crazy! Suddenly people are informing me they are going for lunch, And I kept wondering why on earth are they telling me... Duh! I am the boss now. :wacko:

This move has cost a lot of money! What with buying 2 cars, school fees, bond on the house and advanced rent, it took our stuff 3 and a half week to get here as well. Money flowed like water. And  5 missed pay checks. It has been painful. I look forward to getting paid, let me tell you guys!

It is all still pretty surreal. IT is almost like our life before in Melbourne didnt exist. Like it was a figment of my imagination. And then at the same time it just feels as if we are on holiday here , and have to go back soon.

We are 20 days into the 2 years before we can apply for PR. This is going to be a long wait... :(

• Like 11

Yaay am glad things are much better for you in Queensland, God is good indeed and thanks for the update we were all worried here.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the forum and giving us a small glimpse into your new life. It sound all good and positive. Isn't it amazing where one (previous) employer made you felt inadequate for your job, to another, where they see strong leadership potential to give you a department to run. Well done! 

Bugger - 5 missed paychecks - must be tough but again when looking back in a few weeks, with biweekly payments, it may seems the same as with the scarfs & coats, just another passing phase!

Keep counting those 2 years before PR, that will also fly. BUT its the journey that counts so remember to have lots of fun on the way.

• Like 1

Glad things are looking up for you and the family. Welcome to QLD and all it's quirks. 

CTP just gets included in your rego and the only thing you have to worry about is choosing which one you want to use and if you happen to forget, Transport and Main Roads just use the last one as the default. 

Now that your working environment is better,  you'll be happier which will make your kids happier and make the 2 years will fly by and before you know it you'll be applying for PR and actually have a shot at it.

Only up from here on in.

• Like 1

Awesome!!! Keep us updated and kick those 2 years in the behind! :) Lots to explore where you are now. Fun times ahead!

• Like 1

@Eyebrow I am so thankful that all of our prayers have been answered.... I know I prayed for an excellent outcome for you and especially for your son so that you could worry less. As you say the school may not be as great but he likes it there...job well done!

Wow, the house sounds awesome, and I had to chuckle at you wondering why people tell you they are going to lunch!

Hope the settling in phase is over quickly, that you acclimatise soon, that the family life is awesome and that your new employer ends up being the best you have ever had.

God speed :hug:

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

Wonderful, wonderful news @Eyebrow that your kids are happy and enjoying the pool.  Swimming is awesome as a multi sensory activity too.

Although you didn't go into a lot of detail, I'm reading between the lines that although work is challenging, the "fear" of being shouted at and made to feel small is gone.  And with virtually no commute and all that sunshine, you are bound to feel better soon.

So onwards and upwards towards your 2 year goal.  With happy kids, it will go faster than you think.  Only 2 Christmas' away so not long really.  I'll press the fast forward button for you...

66883315-6cac-49bb-a321-b83184842896.png

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2

So good to hear your news! I just know that the next 2 years will fly by and you will be on PR! Keep us updated! Enjoy being the boss!!

• Like 1

Eyebrow, it does sound like you are in a better place. 

Don't stress too much about the heat and humidity. Likewise we simply packed our woolies away (although have needed them on the odd trip down to Melbourne).

Sometimes the humidity will get to you, but then remember to jump in the pool when you get home (after your short commute).

Look forward to hearing happy stories.

• Like 1

We moved intrastate from hot to very hot.  I too am very happy that we managed to secure a rental house with a pool.  Best entertainment, backyard sport, etc. for the children ever!

Edited by cmh
  • Like 1

I'm also really glad to be able to read a 'tired-but-happy' post from you. It's so much easier to be tired when you are also happy, or genuinely hopeful. ;)

All the best!!!

• Like 1

Glad to read that the move has been on the whole great for all, and that you have seem to have found your place in Aus up in Queensland.

Hope the next 2 years fly by, with lots of happiness and upbeat moments.

• Like 1

Hi Eyebrow,

Glad to hear things are looking. All the best for the rest of your journey and may the 2 years to PR fly by.

• Like 1

So... Our new house fills pretty much the whole area it stands on. From fence to fence. So we are pretty close to our neighbours.

On Friday night quite late, a very loud verbal fight broke out on the one side's neighbours. Their accents sounded very Australian, and perhaps so also the insults... :censored:

Anyway, we debated whether to do anything about it (go over and ask them to keep it down, or ring the police, or, well, or I dont really know) , but in the end we ignored it. My eldest (13) still awake was kind of shocked at the shouting, but we reassured him, and he played on his ipad further with no apparent interest in the next door fight. Thank goodness, I thought.

On Sunday we drove past on our way to Coles and the husband was in the garden mowing and waved to us ever so friendly. I waved back awkwardly.

Then my son asks: "Aan wie se kant is hy?"

I look at him a bit confused and explained that I didnt understand the question.

"Wel", said he, "sy vrou was baie kwaad nou die aand oor dat hy aan iemand se kant was. En sy moet seker nie hou van die persoon aan wie se kant hy was nie!"

What could I say? :o

I didnt really think he had been listening. I was apparently wrong. But I could still not bring myself to explain that the "kant" he heard, was not the "kant" that his wife was yelling at him 23.30 at night, 2 metres from our window... :blink:

So I said: "Nee ek weet ook nie aan wie se kant hy is nie..."  :huh:

• Like 11