Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

RedPanda, for other people with 457's it is possible to do it sooner. It depends on your points then and whether your qualification has been fully accepted. But in our case we need 2 years working for the same employer.

I, of course, now have nightmares of getting fired and wake up sweating in the early morning hours in a panic. If I have to change employers again, our visa would expire during that two years. And I would have to re-apply for another 457 and risk the same issues as before. Too complicated and stressful. 

Wenkbrou??? Haha. Maybe one day I will be able to tell the story about my pseudonym. ;)

• Like 1

Well, sterkte anyway! I hope you are happy at your new workplace. :) 

(And yes, of course now I am curious about your name... Mevrou Wenkbrou...although I've actually always been a little curious [curiosity only started killing off cats after all the pandas had gone into hiding])

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Well, sterkte anyway! I hope you are happy at your new workplace. :) 

(And yes, of course now I am curious about your name... Mevrou Wenkbrou...although I've actually always been a little curious [curiosity only started killing off cats after all the pandas had gone into hiding])

I knew someone called Alise, who had the nickname Eyelash.   I suspect its something along these lines...

• Like 1

My parents in law have left this last week.

It was so quick. Well that is the way it felt anyway.

I feel bereft.

I didnt know I was missing grandparents, until they were here and left.

The kids loved them being here. And the house is now suddenly still and has 5 moping people in it!

They really liked it here. And remarked on things, like how much gas the Coke here has in it etc.

The last few days were just random crying bouts. And Poofff! They are gone, as if they never were.

Makes me sad. :(

My mother turned 70 this month. She asked me to come. I couldnt.

Makes me sad. :(

My brother had his second baby this week. (Well not so much him as his wife... :P)

But I havent even seen the first one.

Major life event missed.

Makes me sad.:(

Who said moving to a whole other country is for sissies, huh?

We have been here 691 days now, not that I am counting...

Does it get better? 

Have just discovered White chocolate Mud Cake at the Cheesecake Factory.

Makes me want to comfort eat.

On that note, let me go to the fridge... 

Hi Eyebrow, hope your spirit lifts soon, it is always sad when family leaves. But in the mean time, have that cake...try and focus on why you are away from the family in the first place and place things in the right perspective again. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

I find myself coming back to these forums more than I probably should, but your post really captured how it is to live far away from the fabric we called life. The human connections that had taken for granted that are now so far away. I think it does get easier but never goes away , and is probably worse around times of 'events' back home. To watch parents getting older , and living with the void that is no grand parents is a biggie. I sometimes find myself wondering if it is all worth it, but know ultimately this was our path. 

ps. a good run works better than cheesecake ;)

• Like 1

I know what you guys mean........ the grandparent one is the biggest void. 

Eyebrow, I dont know it all, but what I (sorta) know is that the cake will make it worse. The sugar, white flour, alcohol, etc is like a momentary escape and then its right back, bigger and worse than before. You are the science lady, you know how this stuff messes with mind and body. Wish you were closer so we could go for a regular walk. Please dont buy these foods that will pull you down. Like dont even have them in the house. Make a date to go walking with your family ( kids on bikes) or a neighbour.  Set yourself a 10min a day walking challence at first and move up from there. Make a walking/talking date with your husband. Get out and let your body access its feel good hormones.  Not fitting in your clothes are the most depressing thing. Makes me think of the saying " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". Dont aim for skinny, aim for fitting in your clothes, having a healthy mind and body. The effect will benefit the whole family and more energy will follow.  Sorry for the intervention, but you needed the reminder.  You can do it! 

Ps Mr Ross, how is life in Sydney the second time around? 

• Like 5

I actually have a note in one of my diary/notebooks to remind myself that exercise for me is not optional, something to do if I should feel like it, it's mandatory! Because it gets you moving, thinking better things, circulates all your fluids through your body, generates 'feel good' chems...and the bonus is that once you are home you feel like you have 'unlocked an achievement', and it makes you feel better about yourself too. (It also helps keep weight under control, but compared to the other things it does that's almost like an aside) And I don't mean you have to get out there and run and sweat and gasp for air, literally just go for a walk and keep walking for 30-40min, and do this 3x a week. That is do-able.

Go for it!

Edited by RedPanda
  • Like 1

@RedPanda Now I am literally laughing out loud! "Unlocked an achievement"? 

You gamer, you! 

Reminds me of the other day when my 5y old daughter was feeling unwell and holding her head. 

Whats wrong? I ask

And she answers in a sad voice "my health is low". Well if that is not proof that we are using the ipad too much as a baby sitter, I dont know what is!

i do walk some at lunch time. Mainly to get to poke stops to get balls for my eldest who plays on my phone (because we wont get him a phone) and there is not a lot of poke stops in regional areas, let me tell u. There is none in our entire neighbourhood where we live!

But I do know what u mean with feeling better about yourself when u exercise... Problem is I have osteo in my one foot and walking/running is painful, but I need to lose weight to make it better. Welcome to catch-22!

• Like 2

As you guys know, the visa thing is always on my mind. I live and breathe it!

With this background, I was in the office today and some people were talking at the front desk. I could see them and clearly hear the conversation.

An Aussie bloke says: "Sorry we are late, but we were driving behind some temporary Australians."   He said this with total disdain in his voice.

I turned to see how the lady at the desk would respond to this guy's - what I perceived to be - discrimination against people with temporary visa's.

(Especially since she knows about my situation.)

To my surprise she rolled her eyes, agreed fully with him and then said: "Yeah, dont you just hate them!" I was taken aback! :huh:

"And", she said "the mountain pass just seems to attract them."

Huh? Now I was fully confused. WTH did the mountain pass have to do with 457 visa holders? :o

"Yeah", he said, "and it is their fault they have to close the pass ever so often and then traffic is backed up for hours".

OK. At this point I realized that I needed an Aussie local to 'translate' this conversation.

So I walked to another lady and asked her (fully expecting to get laughed at): "What is a, uhm, temporary Australian?"

At which point SHE does indeed crack up laughing (that happens a lot actually, local Aussies laughing at me, Although never maliciously :P) and explained that is what they call young guys on motorbikes who drive recklessly and pass on a solid line. Especially in the mountain pass with its many blind turns. Because they are going to get themselves killed!

So there you go!

Another Aussie slang lesson learned. Who knew Australian was such a foreign language! :lol:

• Like 8

Haha I don't blame you for interpreting your version of the story @Eyebrow!  It's amazing how we have to relearn the basics from scratch.

I guess its just as easy to offend somebody there with something you're not aware would be offensive!

Edited by ChrisH
  • Like 2

Now I wonder how many of those racism scare stories about Aus could be explained with this new information. "Temporary Australians"....  who would have thought! :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This weekend just past was the 8 month mark at my new job.

8 out of 24 months means we have passed one third of the time needed before our PR application. Just 16 months to go...

(We would have been eligible to apply for PR on the 5th of Nov this year if I had stayed with my old job... But my OH says not to think about it that way. I worry though as the visa's and changes in the visa system and proposed changes by  review committees stresses me out every time I read it in the paper!)

We are reasonably happy.

I have lost 4kg. So am trying to reverse the weight gain trend! And my arthritis is already a bit better. Yay!

My OH still doesnt have work, but I earn more so things are much less tight financially. He is still a bit down about it though. I think he misses being at work.

We live in a stunning part of the country. And have adopted this outdoor lifestyle. All 5 on bikes riding to the beach. How idyllic is that?

We have had the in-laws over. And the kids enjoyed seeing them.

We have even traveled to the Gold Coast! Something we would not have been able to do/afford before.

• Like 8

Wonderful news :D.  I think that, despite the extra time needed, you are in a better position to get PR where you are now as opposed to Melbourne.  My reasons for thinking this are that sponsorship requires proving the need for your services.  Where you are now had been vacant for a long time so that is proof that finding somebody for your position was difficult and having you there is a godsend.  In Melbourne your previous employer has proved that he regularly has a revolving door of people willing to take the opportunity to work for him for the chance of PR so no need to actually go through with sponsoring anybody to PR really.  Your future is MUCH more certain where you are now.  You are truly needed in the community there as opposed to just another one of his workers in Melbourne.  Although extremely stressful, I think that the situation has unfolded in a way to assure successful PR.  You are not easily replaced where you are now and they know this first hand.  It's going to be okay.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 3

Re work for OH: Have you tried some local Facebook groups?  Word of mouth type opportunities?

Otherwise can he change his mindset to allow himself this career break in the same way that a lot of people do when their kids are young?  @AFreshStart truly embraced his role as a stay at home parent and it is not unusual in Australia for the father to stay home.

• Like 2

Cant believe that 8 months have flown by so quickly!!.It seems like only a short time since we were reading about the terrible experiences you had been having with your previous employer. Although you had many reservations about the move, it has proved to be really beneficial for your family and I am really thrilled that all is well with you. Is it possible for your husband to take time out to study or use the opportunity to completely reinvent himself, or as suggested try and enjoy it. Well done on your weight loss, comfort eating when stressed is something I think we can all relate to:-)

All the best :-)

@Eyebrow

Is OH in IT? If so, I may be able to help.

@RosFamWe miss the support base too, and more so being in Brissie with ZERO family at all. But we will make it, be it by crying, brute strength or sheer force of will. We are not the first to make the crossing and wont be the last. The key is one foot in front of the other, one day at a time. :)

• Like 5

:offtopic:Oi Young Mara,

In the last 4 weeks I have been in and out of "Melgore"/Melbourne (yes kids movie..) the best part of 5 times. How about I warn you and shout you a coffee and a cake? Slice I meant! :P

@Eyebrow Glad that you are all happy and counting the days off to PR - guess there will be a virtual party on SAAus.

Regards hubby and not knowing your regional area:

a. Are there (enough) jobs going around in your regional area that he can align with

b. Those that he applied for - how many resulted in interviews and which once did he really hoped to get

c. Is he willing to reinvent himself in order to get the once he really wanted

d. Are there self-employment opportunities in your region and does the market/economy allow for that

I have done some work on (c ) lately and if of interest then send a PM and will share some notes.

Oh @Eyebrow, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to read this! I am so happy for you :ilikeit: Count your months down! And keep cycling! Way to go!!!

Panda stands next to the road, madly waving "Eyebrow" flags!!! GO GO GO!!! :santa::jester::santa:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SurferMan said:

:offtopic:Oi Young Mara,

In the last 4 weeks I have been in and out of "Melgore"/Melbourne (yes kids movie..) the best part of 5 times. How about I warn you and shout you a coffee and a cake? Slice I meant! :P

Me too, me too! Can I sit in and 'count teeth' with the grownups? :D

• Like 2

Its good to hear that things are going well for you Eyebrow you deserve that. Before you know it you will be applying for pr continue to hold on and enjoy every bit :ilikeit:

• Like 2

@Eyebrow good to read some positive news from your journey, it brings me hope that even the most difficult stories have a turning point...

@SurferMan when did you leave Perth ? You loved the place ... Hows Brissie?

• Like 2

@Eyebrow - really glad to hear that you have found some happiness in the new job. As forr your husband - maybe he can try studying something to keep his mind sharp, stay motivated and keep out of mischief.

• Like 2