Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

Thanks guys.

I thought about the big picture and the ability to speak another language and to keep a bit of our culture going.

But at the same time I dont want to mess up his chances of getting into uni if he so wishes. I have already heard: "Why did we not come here earlier? Then it would have been easier to do the school work and fit in!", from him.

Great, all I need, more guilt.

I, too, wish we could have come earlier. That would have been easier financially for our future etc. But this are as they are. One cant change the past.

Can anyone explain to me how university exemption works here?

QLD has some sort of OP thing. But I dont know what that is. Feel totally out of depth. And also not sure how to guide my eldest. 

I dont even know what to advise him to study! What with X% of jobs today not even going to exist in 50y's time, or whatever other scary article one reads in the news.

Here is the website for QCAA who run the OP system

https://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/senior/tertiary-entrance/op

https://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/downloads/senior/te_op_fast_facts.pdf

If it was me I would visit the school and ask them to help you with this.  Also your child will go through a process of choosing subjects at school and they get a lot more info about pathways to uni then.  There are many pathways to uni.  OP is just one of them.  A popular choice in our state is to go through the Tafe pathway where you attend Tafe and complete a diploma (which is more hands on and structured learning) and then jump straight into the middle of second year of uni.  So the diploma buys you 1½ years of uni.  Tafe is cheaper, an easier transition straight from school etc.  Tafe can also be started through the school (so earlier than Year 12) so some students are halfway through their diploma by the time they finish Year 12.  Then there is joining the army/navy to get free education through them and finally there is mature age students where you can study at any age.  There are so many pathways to get to an occupation.

My kids are 9 and 11 and I know that future jobs don't even exist yet.  So I'm intent on teaching them to be big thinkers, to willingly make choices and know that they can change their minds (even if it is just ice-cream flavours this time around), to be adaptable to whatever comes along, to always look for the silver lining so that they become opportunity spotters, etc.  Games like "Imagine if...." where they get to make up whatever they want.  If something happens that they don't like or feel is unfair then I ask them what they would do instead if they could so that they are always thinking of constant improvement / new ways of being.  It's a constant conversation...

As for the mother guilt about "should have done things earlier":  that is just life and a life lesson you can help him learn.  The simple version is that we all do the best we can with what we know at the time and if we later learn a different or better way then we adjust our path.  A bit like sailing a boat.  We have to adjust the sails according to the prevailing wind.  We can't control the winds but we can control our sails.  Our whole lives are like this (more so than ever nowadays) and teaching our kids that things don't stay the same is important. 

I reiterate this with my kids all the time in the most arbitary and sometimes ridiculous ways to keep changing things up.  Some silly examples are that I regularly take a completely different route home from school.  So sometimes we get to an intersection and I say to them "left or right?"  Whatever they choose that's the road we take. We sometimes have breakfast for dinner or (their favourite) reverse dinner where we have dessert first.  I want them to know that it's okay to mix things up and do things differently.

• Like 5

Thanks so much RYLC!

This is super useful.

You sound like a fun and inventive mother.  B)

I am beyond angry. I feel like this is the last straw !

Probably out of proportion, but...

I have such a sense of fair and unfair, that when it is violated, I want to jump up and down!

This is not the first time it has happened. The previous agents were exactly the same, with oil patches and whatnot that they blamed on us!  And I have read other stuff on this forum ito incidents with rental agencies. But really!

We went away for a week, when we got back, there was some damage to our post box . It was slightly askew, and white paint transfer were on the side. It appeared that someone had hit it with something.We took photos and sent it to the rental agency immediately, offering to fix it with some screws. But we were not going to paint it. It wasnt our fault.

The lady who is looking after the property (picture a jaguar driving, mid twenties, model thin blonde, wearing high heels, stockings and a little suit fitted to a young lawyer vs the shorts and T-shirt the rest of the people here in rural Queensland are wearing) immediately hinted that " dont YOU have a white car?"Yes, we said, but we were away when it happened. She said nothing. So we had a routine inspection last week. And she ran around taking photos. Including in the garage. "For the owner". 

Today we received this letter in the mail!

She had gone and taken photos of the mailbox  AND our Ute!

And what a snotty letter!

Skye1.jpg

Skye a.jpg

This, however, is our Ute parked next to the post box.

The marks are nowhere near! :huh:

I wish I had a scary lawyer to write them a letter that they would never forget! :ilikeit:

I can tell you, this will never end here.:angry:

This lady will keep finding stuff. 

This is going to be a long tenancy! (and an expensive one at this rate...) :wacko:

IMG_3617.JPG

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts here. The property manager looks after the interests of the landlord.

That is their job to minimize the expenses to the landlord. However in Qld the lease contract is in favour of the tenant. 

That contract makes provision for daily wear and tear and but tenant is responsible for accidental damage caused self or by guest

The landlord will have insurance against damage to the property (although the mail box may or may not be covered) but that is not your concern.

Also the landlord insurance covers deliberate damage by a tenant which needs to be proven by the landlord. Good chance that not even the magistrate will allocate cost for unproofen damage. (read the Qld Residential Tenancies Authority Act)

You already have the proof that you are not liable for the damage to the letter box

a. The high of your ute vs the marks

b. Some proof that you weren't there that week (eg show petrol slip from elsewhere with dates etc)

c. There were no guests during that time

Just reply in a letter with the proof attached and say you don't accept responsibility for the damage.

Also state what good tenants you are eg pay on time, maintain the garden and always ready for inspection.

Also state how you guys enjoy the property and will consider extent the lease :-)

Further state that the statement in the letter made by the property manager is considered as inflammatory of nature based on the proof you provided. Say nothing more.

Now post the letter to both the property manager and the head of the estate agency. Follow up with the head to make sure they have received the letter.

Then leave it there.

The landlord may try to settle for a 50% split of costs :-) Just ignore it.

• Like 5

Your estate agent is way out of line. Look on this site for all rent regulations. https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/ You will find what your responsibilities are and what the landlords are.. By the sounds of it, your estate (bimbo) agent needs to read it too. The regulations governing an estate agent are on there as well. The estate agent is not allowed to take photo's of any personal belongings at all. So photographing your car is against regulations. They are only allowed to take pictures of the property, excluding your belongings. This would be things like holes in wall, cracks in floor, etc. If nothing is wrong no pictures are needed. Estate Agents take liberties as most tenants don't know what their rights are and therefore they do what they like. I've put our agent in place quite a few times already, she even asks what days will suit for inspections now. Read the website, know your rights and then tell your estate agent where to get off. If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about. If your agent persists being a nuisance then you can open up a dispute with the RTA and get it sorted. The estate agents hate the mention of the RTA, especially when they are in the wrong and by the sounds of it , your one is. Don't be bullied, estate agents all seem to look down on renters but you have rights and you should stick to those. Also remember to keep all correspondence you have between you and your agent. You may need it later when it comes time to put her in her place.

• Like 4

@Peterthe1 great advice... well done... @Eyebrow I would definitely follow this advice if it was me!

Our estate agent tried the whole "I will be doing an inspection on Friday at some unspecified time and I will let myself in if you aren't home" bit.

I let her know in no uncertain terms that I did not consent to her entering the property without me being present.

She very quickly rescheduled with a specific time.

You have to be firm with them.

• Like 2

I like @ottg's advice, just send them a polite letter, and visibly/openly copy in the head of the agency. It takes two to tango, and if one partner is not dancing the other just looks silly, so don't be rude or angry in your letter, the proof is obvious. I do agree that it might be good to remind them that the lady crossed the line of what she is allowed to do wrt the photos of your vehicle, just to show them in an offhand way that you know your rights, when it comes down to it.

Good luck, and sterkte!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BrendanH said:

Our estate agent tried the whole "I will be doing an inspection on Friday at some unspecified time and I will let myself in if you aren't home" bit.

I let her know in no uncertain terms that I did not consent to her entering the property without me being present.

She very quickly rescheduled with a specific time.

You have to be firm with them.

Regarding time slots, estate agents have to give 2hr windows, if they don't arrive in that time they have to reschedule. They can enter the property without you being there although you may request to be there. Whether the agents agree to this is another thing. I solved this problem by putting security chains on all outside doors. These can be locked from the outside therefore no unwanted entry when we're not there.

3 hours ago, Peterthe1 said:

Regarding time slots, estate agents have to give 2hr windows, if they don't arrive in that time they have to reschedule. They can enter the property without you being there although you may request to be there. Whether the agents agree to this is another thing. I solved this problem by putting security chains on all outside doors. These can be locked from the outside therefore no unwanted entry when we're not there.

It may be state specific.

I read this particular site for ACT : http://118.127.41.41/~tenantsa/renting-advice/tenancy-factsheets/access-and-privacy/

See the section on "Reasonable Access" which dealt with my particular example very explicitly.

4 hours ago, Peterthe1 said:

From my experience it`s the same in NSW.

We had a really great property manager thank goodness. Always very friendly and courteous and when we were vacating the premises asked what dates would be suitable for inspection atleast 3-4 days before. She even offered to be our reference for our other landlord in Perth. They are not all the same.

Well, we sent an email with the photos and said it couldnt be our fault, given the height disparity between our bumper and the transfer marks. 

Nothing else.

She sent back:  

Thank you for your email. Let's agree to disagree. Be it as it may, as you were the tendants when this occured, it is your responsibility to return the post box to its original state.

And she signed her name.

"Lets agree to disagree" my backside! Grrrrr. Obviously still hinting that she "knows" we did it anyway. I feel insulted.

I want to go and drive over the postbox now and then send new photos stating: THIS is what it would have looked like, had we driven over it! See how my car wheel is still on top of the newly broken wood? And me jumping on the bonnet ,on top of the car, that is now on top of the post box? Now that is evidence of foul play. Not your amateur crummy photos and slimy insinuations...

Edited by Eyebrow
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

She sent back:  

Thank you for your email. Let's agree to disagree. Be it as it may, as you were the tendants when this occured, it is your responsibility to return the post box to its original state.

And she signed her name.

How ridiculous, what if an 18 wheeler comes barrelling down the road straight through the house???  According to her logic you are liable for that damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...

My in-laws are here. I had almost forgotten about them coming. (YEah-YEah, Almost... B))

And so they have been here a week.

It has been super stressful. I am cooking and cleaning in a very exhausting and continuous fashion. If you knew me, you would know that that is very much against my grain, but nou ja.

They had never been out of RSA before and had to get passports and everything. 

But they are enjoying it. Little bit subdued. (Which I am quite happy with, because they are not the easiest of people... <_<)

It has been interesting to see Aus again through there eyes.

On Saturday afternoon driving to our house, my MIL asks " why are all these people are walking everywhere you look?" 

I looked at our suburb and saw through her eyes all the people. It did look busy. People walking their dogs, Kids on little bikes with training wheels and bike helmets, and parents running behind them (some looking harassed and red faced and sweaty  - yelling at the kids to slow down, and other sleek mom's in all the right exercise gear running in front of the kids urging them to go faster!) Teenagers skateboarding - not very well, but trying. There were cars in front of the IGA and people buying food and drinks and brikettes, other people standing at the bus stop waiting for the bus and foreign people - judging by their photo snapping AND the fact that we have a school teaching English to foreigners in our suburb - walking around pointing at random tropical birds and plants, and kids with phones standing crowding in the middle of nowhere to the untrained eye, but right at the local poke-stop to those in the know! And I realised that people here can just walk outside... That is freedom.

And then the talks about people back home. Auntie so-and-so and do you remember your 3rd cousin twice removed? They all had something stolen, were high-jacked, or some home invasion. My parents in-law themselves has had 3 burglaries in a year. They have state of the art surveillance and alarms and trellidoors. And as much as we wanted to impress them with where we live now , our every sentence starting with "In Australia they do this" and " In Australia the call it that...", so much I feel fear for them going back and fear for my family there.

As they were talking about the crime, I was briefly angry. Not just angry that they have to put up with it, but also that they have brought it with them here. To Aus. To where we try and forget and feel safe again. And to remind me that we might still have to go back there. If this whole visa thing doesnt work out.:(

I also feel guilty that I am here and they (and almost everyone else that is dear to us) is still there. Not sure why I feel that... Does anyone else have this, almost, survivors guilt???

• Like 3

On 8/8/2016 at 9:08 PM, Eyebrow said:

to remind me that we might still have to go back there. If this whole visa thing doesnt work out

If I may ask, do you have a Fixed term Full time contract or a Full Time contract?

Ottg, My contract expires the day my 457 expires.

It was full time, but then they realized I had an expiring visa.

No one at work knows this(other than human resource lady), neither do I tell people who are interested in my job.

I keep it very quiet.

But apparently it is illegal to have a contract that extends beyond your visa expiry...

So it ways heavily on me. -_-

18 months to go now

Can see why you stressing. 

I noted that people on the 457 skilled immigration visa are able to transition to permanent residency if they have two years with the employer who has sponsored them and if the employer provides a full-time position in the 457 visa holder's nominated occupation.

So the 18 months you mentioned will provide you the 2 years you need and that occurs before the 457 expires.

I believe that it's just a formality as you are with a great employer (that will also count in your favor for the health issue)

This all said doesnt make the wait any easier as nothing is under your control. However you can influence the outcome by being a great indispensable employee and team-leader - which I bet you are!! So vasbyt!!

Yes OTTG! I am stressing! (Nothing new there then <_<)

And again "yes" , we ARE doing the 2 year work for employer thing.

The 2y expires in Feb 2018 and 457 expires March 2018.

So cutting it close.

On 8/17/2016 at 7:20 PM, ottg said:

Can see why you stressing. 

I noted that people on the 457 skilled immigration visa are able to transition to permanent residency if they have two years with the employer who has sponsored them and if the employer provides a full-time position in the 457 visa holder's nominated occupation.

So the 18 months you mentioned will provide you the 2 years you need and that occurs before the 457 expires.

I believe that it's just a formality as you are with a great employer (that will also count in your favor for the health issue)

This all said doesnt make the wait any easier as nothing is under your control. However you can influence the outcome by being a great indispensable employee and team-leader - which I bet you are!! So vasbyt!!

Do you mean transition before the time is over? As in, much sooner than the 2 years?

@RedPanda No, you cannot shorten the prescribed 2 years transition from 457 to PR. This particular situation is more complex and not for me to comment on. However if you on an 457 and 6 months with an employer you still need 18 months to fulfill the said requirements. 

1 minute ago, ottg said:

@RedPanda No, you cannot shorten the prescribed 2 years transition from 457 to PR. This particular situation is more complex and not for me to comment on. However if you on an 457 and 6 months with an employer you still need 18 months to fulfill the said requirements. 

ahw..damn...

Vasbyt Wenkbrou! Ons skree almal vir jou!!!
(And the day you get your citizenship, it wouldn't surprise me if a whole bunch of forum members collude to pitch up at the ceremony for you.)

• Like 1