Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

:blink::lol: ... the joys of being a bilingual parent...

• Like 2

I am not someone that swears.  One evening when my husband came home from work, my eldest son couldn't wait to tell on me.  He informed his dad that I had used the "c" word.  I was dumbfounded, I could not believe that I would do such a thing and use that horrible word.  So of course we had to ask him to explain which "c" word I had used.  Turns out, I said "crap"!  Busted.

• Like 1

Hah I love it when stuff like this happens.

I was once on the Joondannesburg Joondalup train and overheard an Afrikaans guy having a big discussion with someone about which side of their web site the navigation bar should go - much "kant" this and "kant" that! There were a few very shellshocked older people on the train :D

• Like 2

Or try asking someone (who you have not seen in a few years) "of hulle al vak keuses gemaak het op skool".

• Like 2

You've been on my mind this week Eyebrow. Hope that you are all settling in enough to start to forget the misery of the previous employer.   On a scale of 1 to 10, I hope your days rate much higher nowadays. 

• Like 2

If that's the worst thing that happens, Eyebrow, it'll be great.     I do admit I laughed   :)

• Like 3

What I meant to imply is...... 

You have now reached the stage where many of us are shouting   "Is OZ the right place for us? People shout obscenities"  A first-world problem.  This the sort of thing that was trivial to you months ago .... You had REAL PROBLEMS

Hope you love it ....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking about you and your family Eyebrow.  I hope that no news is good news and that life is being kinder to you nowadays.  Take care ♥

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

it's terribly quiet here, isn't it?

• 4 weeks later...

We have been here over 3 months now. (Which means still 21 months until application for PR visa :unsure:)

It has been super busy.

My job has been so difficult. I have had sooo much to learn. It has been go go go ever since we got here!

I went from being a junior that got shouted at, to head of my department and manager of staff! :blink:

Going from a business where the bottom line was the be all and end all, to working for the government, where profit doesnt matter.

But mandatory training does! Goodness me, I have had everything from cultural training to fire training! Who new there were so many different fire extinguishers for so many purposes!!!??

But people have really appreciated me being here. The job position had been empty for a number of years before I turned up. 

I am working with lovely Australians. Regional people are the salt of the earth. Very grateful for everything I do for them and down to earth. I am glad I got to see this side of Australia.

I also have seen people in abject poverty. Not something that I expected of Australia. Mostly, I guess, because I always saw the cities when I saw Aus.

I am grateful for being here now.^_^

I am watching the Manus Island/Nauru thing playing out and Christopher Dutton's response. Anything related to immigration and visas makes me so anxious. And the budget... When there is not a lot of money for education and health, automatically it gets harder when you apply for a visa and fail their criteria. We don't need it any harder that it already is, thank you! :angry:

I think I have had a bit of PTSD after my last job. And then when that intense stress was taken away, I have almost fallen to bits. I have had difficulty sleeping and gained weight and been very disconnected. Things seem surreal. It was as if I had dreamt that part of my life! And the reset of my visa has made me feel as if this is a movie " Move to Australia" Take 2. Take it from the very beginning,  lights , camera, a clap of the black and white board, aaannd ACTION. 

And I am left with a WTH happened? - kind of feeling.

When we were in MElbourne I walked everywhere. Long distances to train and from station to work and back. And all day on my feet. I got home at night with my feet so swollen it felt as if I was walking on sausages (those big fat Russians you got at the corner chippie back home) that wanted to burst if I gave one more step on them! :wacko: But I did more. Cooked and bathed the kids etc. When I got up in the mornings they were still sore and it was painful to walk. But I got back up, I mean our visa depended on me going to work. I joke with my OH that this is what I get for being a lazy South African who used to drive everywhere.Now I am in pain and have to suck it up.

I had hoped that when we moved, this would get better, but it didnt. My one foot has been getting worse infact. So I went to the GP. (Now I actually have leave for stuff like that, and more money to afford it :ilikeit: ) But the Xrays came back with arthritis and joint damage. I was so taken aback! I am only young!! (oh well, I see you rolling your eyes! :huh: Young-ish to be precise then! ). He mentioned that I was a bit young, but too much wear and tear will do that to you. I have to wait until the joint is completely gone, and then they will fuse it, although that means I wont be able to bend my toes... Oh and 3 months strict bed-rest. Huh? I am a 457 visa holder. I am happy if I sleep in on a Saturday, I can certainly NOT be in bed for 3 months!! 

But, I said, every step is hurting and damaging me further! HOw can I keep walking knowing that it is bone on bone with no cartilage any more. ANd he said: Painkillers. Like the rest of the ageing population... 

I now walk with a limp. Which gives me back pain. And it hurts to swim even.

I miss being active! No Panadol/Brufen No play for me.

I cant help but think it was all that time on my feet, with no break, that did this...

The kids are happy.

The schools seem easier than in Melbourne.:thumbdown: Not sure that is good.

My middle son is no longer in a special school, because here are none... He likes being in a normal school, but he is not getting the attention he had before.

He plays outside lots (it was 30 degrees here today on the 10th of MAy and I have had to put the aircon on to cool the house) and have learned to ride a bike! :ilikeit:

We can afford a huge house with a pool (for the same that we paid for tiny house in Melbourne)  My eldest keep telling me that this is the best house we have EVER lived in!         (I just hope we can pay the electricity bill for all the airconning that I do!!! :P)

I am going to Perth for a week with work in two days' time. I have never been there, so that will be interesting! What shall I see while I am there (without a car and not too far walking distance, obviously, the arthritis duh :()?

Take care forumites. And as always, thank you...

• Like 8

so sorry about your leg eyebrow maybe you should get a 2nd opinion just in case, it's good to hear things are going well at work and at school for the kids and a better salary. In Perth l loved king's park you can go in the evening it will be very nice with all the lights loved the river too swan you can talk a walk along it on a lazy Saturday or Sunday. Safe flight 

What a change from your previous experiences. Sorry to hear about your ankle and as Chips says perhaps to get a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion.

For Perth I assume you will be in the city centre. How much free time do you have? Take the CAT buss services which is a free bus services around the city for an overview. As they drive a set route (depending on the color of the bus) just get on and stay on. They even go near Kings Park.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/portals/0/asset/documents/tickets%20&%20fares/perth_cat_map_2013-2.pdf

Take the ferry across the Swan to South Perth and treat yourself with a glass of wine at the Windsor Hotel. That is 500m from the jetty & further 100m to the Perth zoo. Pity about you ankle (but you can hire a bicycle in Riverside Drive) and ride around the Swan from upper bridge (Burswood) to lower bridge (~10km)

Then there is the newly opened Elizabeth Quay walkway on the Swan and a boat cruise/meal on the Swan (bit over priced). Also a short bicycle ride to Matlida bay Breweries with good beer. Depending how much free time you have taking the train north to say Yanchep and/or the train to Fremantle and then to Mandurah. That will give you a good idea about Perth surroundings. Then there are wineries, beaches, shows, sport events etc. depending on your taste. Enjoy Perth!

Good to hear that your family is happy in your new home. Sorry about the anthritis, hope the doc finds a way to help.

• Like 1

I'm so glad that you guys are happy! Sorry re your foot, hopefully it will settle soon!

It's like a different person wrote this post compared to the others we've had from you.  I'm so so so glad you are happier.  Even though you have a painful foot.  Perhaps google a bit and see if you can't find a home remedy that will help.  I know collagen and gelatine and magnesium can help alot with joints, so maybe look at that.  And also cutting out sugar.  Sugar causes inflammation too.  Eat food that grows on animals or in the ground only - maybe that will help.

Glad that the kids are happy too. I'm sure they are happy because you are happy. 

Please keep posting updates - you really do give us such a good overall view of Aus.  I know you had an awful experience but it really is good for us to see that we have to be prepared for anything when emigrating. 

Take care.

I totally support a second opinion.  I had a GP misdiagnose an issue on my knee as being osteoarthritis based on the x-ray.  After an MRI (which Medicare won't pay for anyway so you can do it on a 457) and referral to an orthopaedic surgeon, a cyst was removed from my ACL.  Better prognosis, but something which required surgery rather than long term medication and rehabilitation.

• Like 1

I'm so glad to hear your family is doing better! :D 

Weirdly, I was just thinking of you guys this morning! I am so glad to hear that things are going well... I am sure your sore foot will come right. What a lovely outcome.

I won't lie, I am super jealous that you're still outside and enjoying 30 degree, sunny days. I'm giving myself another year in Melbourne and then it's time to leave this... *clenches teeth* delightful place :P

• Like 1

Eyebrow I hope you get that foot sorted soon :( What a bummer.

The job and house and life in general apart from your foot sounds great, so chuffed for you.

Donovan are we living in the same Melbourne? I am so in love with this city LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

@Mel-B please ignore Donovan's moan.... he is from Perth.... loved it there.... only came here for a job and money.... cannot stand Melbourne, do not think I have ever heard him like anything about the place.... I guess.... he will be much happier back in Perth...:rolleyes:

We have been here for 8 months and in that time Melbourne has had some beautiful weather. Yes it is getting a bit cold now but it is Winter. Not sure if this is the norm for Melbourne but if it is its pretty good weather. ?

Wow Mara, 

Do you not think your comment on Donovans post is just a tad dismissive?

You talk about him as if he was a wayward child, not worthy of being taken seriously.

I am very disappointed with that comment, I thought this was an open forum, and anyone opion is valid , no matter how much you  might disagree with this.

Doubly disappointing coming from an administrator.