Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

@RosFam

Hey brother from another mother. Mate I left in Feb cos there was just no work, at least not at my rates. Disgusting clients trying to push me into 700-900 a day jobs. Yeah I get times are hard, but really. that is not what I am worth. So I took a FIFO job in Brissie, and mate, that is what we always wanted to be. In June I shipped the family over. Dude, the fishing, the beaches, the lifestyle, mate Brissie has Perth over a barrel ANY day.

If I think hard:

Perth:

• Dusty, dry, hot, little rain. Barren, that is the word that sticks in my head.
  • Work - post 2012, a joke, good luck in IT.
  • Super expensive. My Qld travel card lasts 9-12 weeks vs the same 3 1/2 to 4 week recharge in Perth. It was gobsmacking. Something else struck me, the bus drivers stop and wait here for you, I have been on crutches in Perth and limping towards the driver, waving my crutches, only to have the driver look at me and drive off. Been left in the pouring rain and in the heat by @sswipe drivers. NOT in Brissie, they stop and wait. Respect.
  • Merging lanes, pff.
  • I got a place on the Brisbane canals here for the same rental price as in Perth. Go figure. I have gazmillion dollar views for the same price.

Brisbane:

• Some SERIOSLY whack job road signs and rules. Forget J turns in Melbourne. This stuff will do your head in. E.g, Yield sign for oncoming traffic, WTH. The oncoming traffic has a yield sign. In other news, the traffic turning right at Tamborine Mountain has right of way.....which is freaky. :) 
  • Stunning beaches, creeks, mozzies like small birds and bats that resemble A380's at a Halloween party.
  • Magpies that are little areial witches right now due to chicks. On our lawn today watched mum and dad show the chick how to hunt grubs on our lawn. Respect. Have modified bike helmets with counter strike zip ties,. ala  Surferman. Wrapped in tinfoil and beefed up with a skewer, PMSL, the magpie attacked once, LOL.
  • Love the mud crabs I can catch from my front lawn. And the frigging big fish.
  • Easy going Brissy people.

Love it all!!!

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2016 at 10:31 PM, SurferMan said:

:offtopic:Oi Young Mara,

In the last 4 weeks I have been in and out of "Melgore"/Melbourne (yes kids movie..) the best part of 5 times. How about I warn you and shout you a coffee and a cake? Slice I meant! :P

I would have loved to! And you too RedPanda! :ilikeit:

But you may have missed the memo SurferMan...   :oops: I couldnt get a job in Melbourne. Well, not one where anyone wanted to go to the effort of sponsoring me...

So I am actually 1700km north of you at the moment. Yay, regional QLD! :P

One step further and I am in PNG. (Well almost, ^_^, I do like to embellish a bit)

So if you are flying to the Wet Tropics soon, I am there for cake and (probably iced) coffee!

• Like 3

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! It has been awhile.

It (almost) feels like a reunion! :wub:

RYLC, it is good to hear from you again. You are so wise! I still look at your "encouragement post" sometimes and get all warm and fuzzy.

ottg, thanks for breaking emotional things down to bullet points that takes you on a more logical less emotive journey. Thats a good idea.

RosFam, keep hoping please, the turning point will be that PR visa!

Red Panda, if you see me cycle you will be less inclined to wave and more to look on in horror. ;) It has been 25 years since I have last been on a bike, and I look like I am chasing my centre of gravity all the time! Turns out riding a bike again after so long, is NOT as easy as riding a bike!

• Like 1

@Eyebrow

I am on a mission to see all of my new homeland, and we go out about every weekend. Going up north is firmly on my list. PM as to your whereabouts, I will happily pay for that coffee and cake slice. :P

• Like 2

On 10/12/2016 at 1:11 AM, Eyebrow said:

Red Panda, if you see me cycle you will be less inclined to wave and more to look on in horror. ;) It has been 25 years since I have last been on a bike, and I look like I am chasing my centre of gravity all the time! Turns out riding a bike again after so long, is NOT as easy as riding a bike!

:lol:

Pfft...whatever... as long as it gets you out, and gets the juices flowing, even if it turns you into a red-faced steam train! (Uhm...ja..."redhead's first ride after months of idleness"...tra-la-la-la....) But if you can do it 2-3 times a week, then after a month it gets so much nicer, it just starts feeling wonderful. Keep at it! I will still stand next to the road waving Eyebrow-flags! (Maybe I should add a little lemonade stand?)

:D keep going!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Are you still on your bicycle every week??? Keep at it.

You can do it!!! (Go Eyebrow! Go Eyebrow!!!)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

11 months down. 15 to go.

I had a good Christmas with our family. This past year has been zillion times better than the one before.

I hope you guys had a good Christmas and New Year's as well?

• Like 4

Not 13 months to go? Nearly there. So glad life is treating you well.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2017 at 1:50 AM, Eyebrow said:

11 months down. 15 to go.

I had a good Christmas with our family. This past year has been zillion times better than the one before.

I hope you guys had a good Christmas and New Year's as well?

:wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:    :wub:   :wub:    :wub:     :wub:

I just love this post! Good news is the best news.

• Like 1

I was just thinking that this time last year you were just at the beginning of this fantastic change.  Time does heal and it's wonderful to hear that it has been a good year.  I'll press that fast forward button again for you and before you know it we'll be heralding in 2018.  Then it will only be ONE MONTH more...

inspiriation.jpg

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Husky said:

Not 13 months to go? Nearly there. So glad life is treating you well.

Ah, yes! Clearly maths is not my thing. 

Is indeed 13 months. Feeling very happy now, lost 2 months off the time in a matter of seconds! :ilikeit:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

And...

Today I have reached the halfway mark of the 2 years needed to do before the visa application, it is all the way down hill from here.

Cant believe I have been in my new job for a year already!

I still sometimes wake up in a cold sweat dreaming about my previous situation. I am so much better off now and we feel pretty settled.

I just soooo wish we had a PR visa. Or any sort of assurance that we could actually get one. That would make it all complete!

Take care all you lovely forumites! :)

• Like 2

Eyebrow, how does the local education options compare to what your son/kids have in Melbourne? I remember you being very worried about that before the move. 

1 hour ago, rozellem said:

Eyebrow, how does the local education options compare to what your son/kids have in Melbourne? I remember you being very worried about that before the move. 

Melbourne was better. No 2 ways about it.

The school staff here is amazing. Salt of the earth. But QLD is under resourced when compared to VIC ad NSW. And where there is no funding...

I try and think of the positives. Better salary, shorter commute, more annual leave allowance, year round outdoor life style, much bigger house with a pool at same rent as we paid in Melbourne so kids have become water babies.:ilikeit:

We will see what happens next year Feb with visa aka the guillotine hanging over our heads.

• Like 4

I know it must be stressful to have your PR waiting unresolved out there.

But... I am so happy to read that your life has improved drastically, and that your family is much happier. Vasbyt vir die laaste jaar! You can do it!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My kids are getting more Australian by the minute. Maybe too much.

My youngest (6y) asks for wah-dah. As in: Can I have wah-dah with ice please?

Really? :huh:

I answer with: If you can show me the "d" in water, you can certainly have some!

And my eldest (14y) has eczema. 

He helps in the garden by weeding, but has to rinse himself off afterwards, or he will get a red rash the next day.The sap of some these plants are just lethal! He is lazy though and will go straight from garden to slouching on the couch with his ipad and then the next day looks all rashy!

I picked him up on this one day, and he turns to me and answers back: If you had supplied me with adequate personal protective equipment fit for task, this would never have happened.

Thats very Australian if you ask me!

He changed his tune and made a run for it, when I said: as ek jou nou beetkry gaan jy wrintie waar wel PPE nodig he!!! :angry:

11 months left of our 2 years.

There is all sorts of 457 visa changes being mentioned recently in the news. Makes me uneasy...

• Like 5

Hi Eyebrow

Fortunately you are not on a 457s to work in an IGA, so I wouldn't worry too much about your status.  Remember that your employer couldn't find anyone for your post for quite some time and you are now employed by the state.

Here is crossing fingers (no more holding thumbs in Australia) that all goes well and to plan and that they sponsor you for PR and the benefit that you have given to the state far outweighs the potential additional cost of your child.  If I remember correctly it is your oldest that has autism, so hopefully by the time he is 15 the additional cost of educating him is not regarded too negatively.  Did you get confirmation that your baby is fine?

• Like 1

Hi Sunny

Yes I am extremely lucky in that I dont work for IGA or McD's.

And I hope my benefit to the state will be sufficient.

Employer happy to sponsor, so that is a plus!

It is my middle child who has it, so many years to go...

I will be happy once this is over. I dont sleep well.

I am over 45 now, so if they decide to implement the points system across the board, even for onshore 457 holders, I might not make the 60 points!

I was supposed to have applied before turning 45, but then had to change employers and you know the rest of the story...

Cheers

Edited by Eyebrow

22 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

And my eldest (14y) has eczema. 

He helps in the garden by weeding, but has to rinse himself off afterwards, or he will get a red rash the next day.The sap of some these plants are just lethal! He is lazy though and will go straight from garden to slouching on the couch with his ipad and then the next day looks all rashy!

I picked him up on this one day, and he turns to me and answers back: If you had supplied me with adequate personal protective equipment fit for task, this would never have happened.

Thats very Australian if you ask me!

He changed his tune and made a run for it, when I said: as ek jou nou beetkry gaan jy wrintie waar wel PPE nodig he!!! :angry:

This is priceless!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hello kind lady... how are you faring?

Hi Red!

Thanks for thinking about me.

My pulse rate isnt as low as yours! :P Still 98/min and sitting behind computer at work. I think it is the PR that slows it down... -_-

Our lives are so much better than before, so I am grateful for that.

Take care

• Like 1

At least your PR is creeping slowly closer to you now... :D keep well in the meantime. (and ride that bicycle! it doesn't have a say in the matter)

Am very despondent.

Our hurdle before was almost insurmountable.

Now the goal posts have suddenly been changed. In one speech by the prime minister. Just like that.

Our finely tuned and considered pathway now no longer holds true. 

Now my age is a problem too. And the English criteria.

There is no clarity on the DIBP website. With certain pages still having the old info and therefore contradicting the new position statements released last week.

Uncertainty. 

Getting too old for this (apparently in more way than one, thanks Malcolm)

@Eyebrowand in all of this, you need to remember that you work for a government department, in a job that they could not fill, so must still stress, that I would not be surprised if all your fears, do not come true! I know that does not relieve your stress.. but hang in there!

• Like 2