Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

What stared out badly turned out well. It's amazing how simple kindness can make ones day totally turn around!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, Eyebrow said:

Then the nicest Aussie bloke stopped and offered his help. And changed the tire for us. Also teaching my teenager how to do it in future. I was so thankful that people still do that here. Decent salt of the earth people.

We also find that people here are so much nicer. We love it.

Last week we went to the museum in Canberra and couldn't get the paid parking thing to work, it's not the same as all the others we used, and the guy behind us asked if we needed help and then showed us how, all with a smile worries"no worries". 

When we got into the museum the one lady that works there apologised for the noise since they had a bunch of kids on a field trip doing a scavenger hunt in the museum (I think its a brilliant idea) and when she heard we were out of town we spend the nest 45 min talking about nice places to see and things to do in Canberra. She also mentioned some good food places and the best shops. Very friendly people here, we love it!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Fidjet said:

We also find that people here are so much nicer. We love it.

Last week we went to the museum in Canberra and couldn't get the paid parking thing to work, it's not the same as all the others we used, and the guy behind us asked if we needed help and then showed us how, all with a smile worries"no worries". 

We once stopped at a parking spot where you had to prepay (which I really dislike because you have to guess how long you are going to be, and then, if you want more time, you have to drop everything and run back and buy a new ticket). 

As I was standing at the machine this lady came up to me and I immediately felt some sort of suspicion when approached by a stranger in a parking lot... This was especially strong when we just arrived and have waned a bit over the 4 years we have been here, but it is still there. :unsure:

Anyway, she said they were leaving early and had more than 2 hours left on their parking ticket. And the she offered it to me for free. :o

I thought that was really kind. Now I try and pay it forward too.

I feel a better person since I have been here. Not sure if that makes sense...

• Like 3

@Eyebrow.  When my husband could not find a job he also started delivering the fliers once a week with the kids.  When he did get a very temporary part time job they wanted a local reference and he gave his "manager" (who has never met him) from the fliers.  This person went out of his way to give my husband a glowing reference and he got the part time job.  Which was a great reference for the full time job that came along 2 months later.

The fliers pay really badly, but it adds up over time.  The children continued after dad got a job and still do it for their spending money.  They have between $300-400 a month between the two of them.  It is enough that I do not have to pay for their meals out with friends.  Which is great.  

Another advantage; dad still helps them to put the fliers together the night before.  It takes them about an hour.  And dad and boys chat away happily for the hour.  How many teenage sons and their father spend an hour per week just chatting? 

We feel a little bit guilty about the forests we are killing by delivering all these papers......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/05/2018 at 7:24 PM, Eyebrow said:

Anyway, she said they were leaving early and had more than 2 hours left on their parking ticket. And the she offered it to me for free. :o

I thought that was really kind. Now I try and pay it forward too.

I feel a better person since I have been here. Not sure if that makes sense...

Yup. The environment makes it so much easier to do nice things. It's what happens when you go out of 'survival mode'.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, Eyebrow said:

My OH has not been able to find work.

It has been a challenge for him and I think made him quite depro. He was in the police and couldnt work on my 457. We needed PR. Which, of course, we still dont have.

He was busy with the kids though. And while he enjoys them, I dont think it would have been his first choice.

He started volunteering at the SES once a week 3y ago. He quite enjoys that. Meets new people and do some challenging things. He got free training in chainsaws, boats, land searches, drone operation and flood management etc. He goes out often on weekends with the team looking for lost back packers, retrieving bodies and drug searches with the police. This is all done as volunteer.

One of the people there gave him a leaflet to deliver fliers (aka junk mail). It is sold as a "fitness pass-time" during which you can earn a nominal fee. So he walks and delivers these Woollies/Coles/Target etc ads. He will take 5 hours to walk a whole suburb and gets paid, wait for it, $20-50 for the whole time (depending on the amount of fliers). And he does that once a week. So for nothing really! But he said it gave him purpose, and he has done that for 6 months now. I was quite surprised at his determination, I have to admit. He greets everyone and waves at people driving past etc. He feels like it is "his valley" now. I just shake my head. I am an introvert and wish I never had to speak/wave to anyone (which makes my job a bit ironic, but leave that there... Although I find it very funny when the students thank me for my great lectures.)

Well 2 weeks ago he was walking again and waved at the postman as per usual. The guy abruptly stopped his bike, jumped off  and said he has noticed my OH's determination and has seen him in the neighbourhood on a regular basis. He went on to say that if he is so dedicated to such a low paid job, he must be a good worker. He then said he is actually a manager at the post office and doing this route because in difficulties recruiting. He asked my OH if he wanted the job! Luckily he had a motorcycle license and , well, the rest is history. He is now a postie! The hours are 10am -2pm. So perfect for school. And he gets $20/hr. He is so happy! A bit sore form being on a bike again after so many years, but otherwise having a great time.

So there you go. From volunteering to a job. Just goes to show.

I've always said that volunteering is way to a permanent job, but this has taken a really long time. But good on him.

Edited by OubaasDik
spelling idiocy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK. So, this waiting thing is just excruciating.:huh:

Interesting process. This urgent pressure to get all the documents together and submit for a deadline. Scratching in old boxes for one payslip form a job 20 years ago and looking for a decades old cancelled passport which still has your 18year old beaming full-of-life-face photo and bad 80's hairdo, all because Form 80 seems to think that is important. Have doctors prod you and have yet another chest X ray. Transfer large amounts of money never to be seen again.

And then... Just nothing.

Wait and wait.

Oh well. Patience is a virtue right? ;)

Life is going on as if it is normal at the moment, but in the background it niggles.

• Like 2

You'll get it @Eyebrow , we're all keeping up with your story and keeping the faith with you.

• Like 2

Very big hug. And lots of 'good vibrations' sent your way!

• Like 1

I just want to say that you guys on this forum have been invaluable to me. All the advice and support have carried me through many a dark night!

Thanks so much! :wub:

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

So...

My immiaccount, where it shows my application for PR, has gone from an estimated wait of 9 months (when I last checked 3 months ago) to  a wopping 17 months!

What is going on?

Am in Sydney at the moment. How lovely!

Colder  than I am used to, but enjoying it. What a wonderful country. 

Sitting at a café drinking coffee and eating key lime pie(first time ever) and counting my blessings...

🤗

• Like 3

On 8/14/2018 at 9:08 PM, Bonny said:

Can you try phoning them? That sounds strange. 

No. Apparently this is the new timeframe for 187. I am just upset because we have front loaded the police clearance and medicals, and now they may expire before we even get a case officer! $2.5k down the drain.

14 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Am in Sydney at the moment. How lovely!

Colder  than I am used to, but enjoying it. What a wonderful country. 

Sitting at a café drinking coffee and eating key lime pie(first time ever) and counting my blessings...

🤗

Welcome to Sydney! Let me know if you want to meet up for lunch, I work in the CBD if you're around here somewhere :) 

No man that’s unacceptable. I get really fed up when I hear of people being actually financially screwed by this messed-up system. I mean you don’t mind paying but it has to be fair!! 😢 I would write and complain, you never know.

In our case they took our visa fee, didn’t include my husband’s son in the visa (no reason given), then made us pay again for him alone. So we paid double.

On 8/13/2018 at 12:56 AM, Eyebrow said:

So...

My immiaccount, where it shows my application for PR, has gone from an estimated wait of 9 months (when I last checked 3 months ago) to  a wopping 17 months!

What is going on?

Whaat?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been at this for 6 years now. And still no PR visa.

I find it hard to read how others are getting theirs after only a few months...

People who joined the forum long after us, are now citizens and have Aussie passports.

I am happy for the sake of every single person that makes it out of RSA. Especially now as things seemed to have gotten worse very rapidly just recently. So please excuse my envy! :unsure:

OK pity party over.

Am so busy at work, doing stuff I would never have had the opportunity to do in RSA. But I am working like I have never done before in terms of workload.

My youngest (7y now. So more Aussie than Saffer) says: "I love the cultcha hie, mom."  (You have to read that in full Aussie accent to understand)

Me, rolling my eyes, reply: "Did you by any chance mean the 'culture' and 'here'???"

Her, frowning: "That is what I said!"

Oh well...:huh:

• Haha 2

Look, the day you get your PR, there will be fireworks all over Australia! I'm sure there is someone in just about every one of the major cities cheering you on! I'm crossing all my fingers and sitting on my tail for you!

Good luck!

And don't give your children grief about their pronunciation, language is a living, changing thing and "correct" depends on the context: we're in Australia now. ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Am super kranky these days. Think it is due to stress and the fact that my last annual leave was over Christmas!

When I started in my new role, I was the lone ranger. 

But now I have 3 Aussies working under me as direct result of my being there and a fourth one starting in October. 

Who’d’ve thunk?

If they chuck me out of the country, all these people will lose their jobs...

Oh well, the waiting game continues. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Al die 'strongs'!!! ;) 

Hope they come through on a good decision for you soon! It's obvious that you're having a positive effect in your workplace.

• Like 1

Some days!

A member of the public used our service and after us having done everything possible, he found the smallest little thing to complain about.

When the other team member informed me I was just at the end of my tether and said "He is complaining with a white bread under the arm".

You guys should have seen the looks of confusion!!!

"Well I would complain too, if I had to eat a white bread which is wet with armpit sweat!"

Took me a millisecond to realize that I had directly translated an Afrikaans saying and it obviously did not get my point across. :thumbdown:

So then I just had to laugh at the situation and explain what I meant.

But I still dont know the English equivalent for that saying...

• Like 1

:lol: Yes! This exactly!

Just remember it's because in Australia they all start out eating white bread and then progress to cake... :ilikeit:

But my hubby had the whole family on WhatsApp the other day scratching their heads, and even looking in the idiom dictionary to find a suitable translation!!! (We haven't heard back from them yet)

8 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Just remember it's because in Australia they all start out eating white bread and then progress to cake... :ilikeit:

Not so sure about that.  Because it is Australia, they are looking for something gluten free.  Thus neither white bread nor cake !

I said at work that I was so angry I could catch snakes and I was met with blank stares and then they could not stop laughing.  Not all idioms can be translated. 

• Haha 1