Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

Things are less than pleasant at work at the moment to say the least.

My boss is steadfastly refusing to believe that I am leaving. I resigned verbally and in writing. He is now contacting immigration lawyers to prove to me that I am making a mistake, And suggesting that I do higher billings to improve my income. Which is, of course, something I have been unable to do up till now. So how I miraculously am going to suddenly do it now is beyond me! And the harder I have tried to work, the less I am seeing the kids that I am trying to do all this for! And he also offer a nebulous "bonus", but he is not sure "what shape that will take"

He is still booking in clients to see me for Jan, while I have said I am not coming back next year... I have people ringing me asking what documentation to bring, and I am not sure what to say, as I, you know, WILL NOT BE THERE!

Someone at work has asked me what diet I am on, as apparently it is looking as if I have lost a ton of weight overnight! I might call it the R and R diet. As in resign and relocate. Guaranteed to eat those Australian extra kg's straight off you...

• Like 5

At least you know you are leaving that environment.

Sterkte vir die laaste rukkie!

• Like 2

At last, a diet that works!;)  Just amazes me that he is trying to hold on to an employee who, according to him, was not able to do the job....

So glad for you Eyebrow that you found another job!!  

• Like 2

Eyebrow, you are one tough cookie! this door is being closed.....in his face ? and a new one has opened.  I am cheering for you and your beautiful family.  A new year and new beginnings - you so deserve this second chance! ❤️

• Like 3

I guess the only reason why you get the reaction from the boss is because he now suddenly need to get a replacement in a hurry.....another desperate migrant.

This may take him 6 months+ and will have a direct impact on his business. You know what happens to prospects/clients you don't service - they go somewhere else!!

That is $$ he directly will miss out on! Hopefully he learned a lesson but usually they don't, they only get better in setting the clauses for the next employment contracts!

On a lighter note - you are now truly well informed & qualified to help other expats who experience similar situations on a 457!;)

• Like 3

Apologies if you've already thought of this - but why are you working harder during your notice period? You should restrict your hours to the bare minimum, make sure you spend time with your family/getting ready for the move and so on. 

Once you have resigned there is nothing he can do when the last day comes along and you never come back. In fact there's very little he can do if you don't even stay your whole notice period. This isn't prison, you are a free woman. 

• Like 4

Eyebrow, regarding your question of what to do when new clients call you to check what they need to bring to their appointments in January.... give them the bosses telephone number and tell them to call him, as you are leaving the company and their appointment will not be with you.

The boss can do nothing about it, as you are just telling the truth!

• Like 2

Not sure I agree with Mara on this one. Presumably the same info is required no matter who sees the client.  I would tell the client what to bring and leave it at that. If he is not making sure there is someone to take over your clients in January then so be it. Think about what happens when you see a gp in this country, half the time they job shareand you don't see the same person twice.

Donovan83, I don't think Eyebrow means she is working harder now, rather she has worked very hard the whole year but to no avail.

Eyebrow just think about how great you will feel when you leave that place for the last time - like an immense weight has lifted off your shoulders.

• Like 1

So how many more days then?  We can count down with you.  A bit like waiting for the new year with popping of champagne corks when the moment comes.

:D CAN'T WAIT!!!!:D

• Like 4

Friday night after work, I had a long talk with my boss. He walked into my office as soon as last client walked out, and said he "wanted to understand" why I should want to leave. I said my visa and more pay and more time with kids. He first pleaded and then threatened. Apparently I have bad work ethic and am leaving everyone in the lurch and I have clearly been planning this for months (which I have not, just got job offer couple of weeks ago) and now I am springing it on him as a surprise on order to ruin his business, but that I had to know that bad reports from clients would reflect on me and not him.

He also said he couldn't believe that they would create a job like the one I got in North Queensland, unless they want something from me that I am not anticipating. And that he had half a mind in ringing them and just checking the offer out for me, because he is worried that I am being taken advantage of. :o I asked him not to ring and said that if that is the case, it is my issue, not his. But now I am petrified that he will ring them and tell them I was a bad employee and that he is happy to get rid of me or something like that in order to spoil this job for me! And then I have to beg for my old job back. I have been stressing all weekend!

Eyebrow ring the new employer yourself and let them know that they might get such a call and to please ignore it.  Tell them that it is not your style to bag an ex employer but you can't be sure that this will be reciprocated and is one of the reasons you sought a new opportunity. You do not wish to go into detail about how things were for you with this now ex employer but suffice it to say that it was bad enough to want to leave. 

Be proactive about this. If ex employer asks again "reassure" him that you have representation (all of us ?) this time to ensure that the employment contract is all above board.  Remember that bagging an employee to the new boss will reflect badly on HIM not you as it is a very unaustralian thing to do.  

With all his comments in the future, just tune out. Start singing a song in your head and just tune out. Just nod and aha aha in all the right places but IGNORE IGNORE on the inside. He is like a radio that you have turned the dial on so that you no longer receive the signal and cannot "hear" what is said. Besides his message is that you have grown six purple heads overnight and one quick check of the mirror and any idiot (well except him) can see that's not true. 

Shut down the fear as it not serving you. Rather start googling tourist things to do in your new location and put your thoughts into the future. That beach or mountains or whatever with the breeze on your face is going to feel so good. 2016 is YOUR year so claim it out loud to yourself. We've got your back ?

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 4

He's a real piece of work.

Eyebrow, leaving him behind is going to be a good thing.  He sounds like the type who feels strong when he makes others feel weak.

You have been through the ringer and all of us here are behind you.  As much as he tries to push you down, and you can be sure he will continue to do so, know that we are behind you.  And we outnumber him.  

Close your eyes.  Imagine that man is standing in the middle of a meadow, medieval battle scene.  He is facing you, also wearing battle gear.  Now, zoom out.  Notice how he is a single man in that meadow, and you are facing him with ten thousand soldiers behind you.  Suddenly, you realise, no matter what he says, you will still be the one that comes out victorious.    

Another thing to take heart about:  If you were a boss and a terrible employee was leaving your employ, would you ring the next company (that you have absolutely no loyalty to), to warn them about the employee, and run the risk of the employee staying with you?  No, you would be glad to be rid of them. If I was a competitor and got a call like that, I would assume he was trying to avoid having a star employee go to the competition. So, whatever he does, he's going to look like a tool.  Keep your chin up, focus on finishing with your clients in a professional manner (and tell them you're leaving if they ask), and count down the days until you can smile and wave that jack&^% goodbye for the last time.

If he tells you he called, shrug and say "oh" (even though you're dying inside).  He is looking to freak you out and make you miserable so that he can make himself feel awesome. In the very unlikely event that he calls them, or they mention he'd called, and they seem curious for a comment from you, just smile and say something like "oh my, he begged me to stay, that conduct doesn't seem professional at all." And then enjoy every day you're at your new, lovely job.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Weddingtog said:

just smile and say something like "oh my, he begged me to stay, that conduct doesn't seem professional at all." And then enjoy every day you're at your new, lovely job.

Weddingtog, honestly, that must be, absolutely, the best comeback line, I have ever seen! Awesome stuff, just loved it!

• Like 2

The one positive out of all this is that you must see that you have made the right decision in leaving this boss in the first place. With every little put down or jibe you your decision is being made more firm. He is a complete bully. I think everyone's advice is spot on. Just try and ignore him and picture yourself feeling happy in your new job.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, and you're a strong person. ? Hang in there.

Eyebrow, 

I would be happy to slap this fool for you, free of charge. He wont call your new employer if he has 1/2 a brain cell. In Aus that is harassment and you can clean his bank account out on that. What an ass this fellow is. please share his details with me, I would like to serve him a knuckle sandwich with all the trimmings. :lol:

• Like 4

I have my own company now, after 4 years of continuous idiots and abusers. It is the best feeling on earth. All their schemes amounted to nothing in the end. keep that chin up and keep swinging, we are all supporting you!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Friday night after work, I had a long talk with my boss. He walked into my office as soon as last client walked out, and said he "wanted to understand" why I should want to leave. I said my visa and more pay and more time with kids. He first pleaded and then threatened. Apparently I have bad work ethic and am leaving everyone in the lurch and I have clearly been planning this for months (which I have not, just got job offer couple of weeks ago) and now I am springing it on him as a surprise on order to ruin his business, but that I had to know that bad reports from clients would reflect on me and not him.

He also said he couldn't believe that they would create a job like the one I got in North Queensland, unless they want something from me that I am not anticipating. And that he had half a mind in ringing them and just checking the offer out for me, because he is worried that I am being taken advantage of. :o I asked him not to ring and said that if that is the case, it is my issue, not his. But now I am petrified that he will ring them and tell them I was a bad employee and that he is happy to get rid of me or something like that in order to spoil this job for me! And then I have to beg for my old job back. I have been stressing all weekend!

If I was you I would be contacting Fairwork Australia and reporting your employer. He must be a proper :censored:. What he is doing is workplace harassment and it is highly illegal. He is also not allowed to contact your future employer without your consent to bad mouth you(highly illegal). Speak to the people at Fairwork Australia, they are very helpful and knowledgable and will guide you through these problems. This service is for free. Remember you have rights here and these are actually enforced unlike in SA where you would have to get an expensive lawyer. You can also make your employer aware that you will be contacting Fairwork either before or after you have contacted them. Give your new employer a call, as RYLC suggested, and inform them of your current employer's intended action.

The best part will be that on the day that you leave, you can flick him the bird! (give him the finger).

Good luck and the best with your new job in the new year.

• Like 2

Today got email fom boss (also owner) 

He has just looked at my billings and realised that i could get paid double what I get now. Which, incidently, is more than what I would get at new job.

I am spitting. How could he? He paid me 25% of my billings, and when I started he showed me income projections on how it is actually a loss for him to have a 457 worker, and he is doing me such a favour.

But now he can pay 50% and is is still ok?

We have been struggling for soooo long. Cant afford speech therapy. Cars breaking down. And I could have been paid more!

And taking annual leave off my allowance when I had to go to dentist. Those precious 20 days a year go very fast! 

Oh and if I dont get pr, i can just keep applying for 457's and the salary increase would ofset the financial benefits of being a permanent resident... :o:o:o:o:o

• Like 1

Eyebrow,  this man sounds like an absolute master manipulator. You know from first hand experience he has broken promises in the past and how he treats his staff. Do not be fooled, a leopard never changes it's spots. He is trying everything in his power to make you feel guilty, confuse you and get his own way. 

Don't fall for it or belive anything he says. He may promise you the earth, moon and stars now to get you to stay but there is nothing stopping him from breaking those promises down the line. As I said, he's done it before,  he'll do it again.

If he does contact your new employer and bad mouths you, he will open himself to a slander suit that he has no chance of winning, no matter who he knows. And remember, immigration are not scared of anyone, they will nail anyone who tries to buck the system. 

You need to get out of that place. It is a toxic environment and very unhealthy for you and your family. Stop doubting yourself and your ability to bounce back. Your a professional with a uni degree and capable of far more than you give yourself credit for.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 4

Mail him and ask him for the calculation of how much he owes you to date (since he's clearly been "miscalculating" up to now).

When you get that, tell him great, you'd appreciate all the back pay, thank you!  He can't backpedal out of that one, he's already admitted he's miscalculated.  If he tries, mention how you'll double check with fairwork about how it works if he admits to making a miscalculation and actually owes you money, perhaps they would want to audit him, who knows......

You have it in writing after all!

• Like 5

Yes absolutely agree! What a jerk. I get furious when I hear about people struggling and when they leave get offered double. It has happened to me as well. If you even consider it he would have to give you payback on that amount from day 1 or shove it. But honestly it would probably be best to move on.

• Like 1

Eyebrow,  did you know that you are entitled to 10 days personal/sick leave, 2 days compassionate leave and 20 days annual leave? If you are going to see a health practitioner then it has to be as personal/sick leave.

You can Google this "leave entitlements on a 457". 

I agree with everyone above, please do not believe a word he says... he is yanking your chain and just does not wish to let go!

• Like 1