Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

SAAussieGirl,

Thank you - you are just the best.....

So many kind and caring people on this forum-everyone of them deserves all the happiness in the world.

I will find my golden light and sunshine.

May you all have found yours!

• Like 1

Eyebrow, im so sorry things are not what you wanted them to be. Is there any way you could get a sponsor in another town? I would help if I could. I still have contacts at the recruitment company i worked for and now works at the university. Canberra is beautiful too. Some say very cold but it has 4 distinct seasons that i love. Im thinking of you a lot, if i can help , let me know

• Like 1

Eyebrow... All I can say is - "Wow, what a ride." We are arriving in less than a month (also on a 457), and your story keeps our feet on the ground.. But you know what... We decided to pull the clouds down towards us... There are so many people rooting for you.. All the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So.....

I turned up at work yesterday, and noticed on my computer diary (that magical thing that tell me when work wants me to be where, and why :angry2: ) that a late appointment has been booked for someone to see me.

I thought it is probably a mistake and will take to the manager later.

My boss is in Vancouver, so I was looking forward to a quite peaceful week.

Then I looked at the rest of the week and next week and there are late work commitments everywhere! WTH?

So I go to the manager and ask whats up?

And she said the boss had emailed her from Canada, and said that he said the other lady who worked there and I, are not working hard enough to justify our salaries. And to compensate, our workday should be half and hour longer.

I could not believe this guy! And he didnt even have the decency to tell us in person. :boxing:

I currently work 9 hours a day, with a one hour commute on either side( because affordable housing is further away out of the city, which equals long commute). My payslip says I work 7.6 hours x <$50 per hour. Not 9x, or 9 and a half times!

I am so fed up with this situation.

Mmmmm, did you know that the legal work week, by law, is actually 38 hours per week? I am amazed sometimes how many employers do not even realize that!

• Like 1

its amazing how often you hear this kind of story , of 457 human abuses as I call them. It give such a bad impression of people and what the country has to offer. At a time when people are at their most vulnerable they are treated like a disposable resourse, which after coming on incredible journey is not the way we would all want things to go. I imaging there is some sort of recourse in oz for this kind of situation but the truth is you are held to ransom by your sponsor holder.

Eybrow , what does your hubby do ? Has he been able to find decent work ... I know of a couple near where we are in they were in a similar situation until the wife managed to find work...7 months later and her employer offered to sponsor her as well taking the pressure of the hubby.

Not many people have it easy here at first , but of all the people I speak to who have put their time in here ... not many would go back to SA.

Keep us posted.

• Like 2

Just recently my kids have been asking more and more about their grandmother. All 3 of the kids. And having crying bouts for no reason.

I didnt think my 4j old would even remember granny. But she does!

Very hard to listen to that (in addition to everything else that is going on).

I tell them "we have to take 3 airplanes to get to granny" and whereas before they we reluctant(the horror of the long flight fresh in their minds), it suddenly seems easy to do... AS in "Yes, lets go mommy"

I certainly dont miss my MIL much. :closedeyes: But my kids seems to do!

257 days here...

Edited by Eyebrow
  • Like 1

I have the same issue. Contract says 38hrs a week but work hours are 8-5... Math does not quite add up!

• Like 1

@Tazzn - how is the new job going?

In general not unusual. On my first contract job for a large mining organisation - contractually I was only allowed to book max 8 hrs per day but we had to work 9 hour days. However the rates were great! This was irrelevant if on PR or citizen or 457. I think it has something to do with getting around the unions.

I do not think it is to get around the unions, it is just plain illegal, if you report them, they will be investigated. The actual federal employment laws state that the work week is 38 hours, this is not open to negotiation and cannot be signed away. In my last job, we enquired, and were given the rule in writing from a highly regarded employment lawyer. However, there is negotiation, as apparently you can have time off in lieu, or paid overtime, etc. If you work 8 to 5 with an hour for lunch, then you are working a 40 hour week, the company needs to compensate you for the extra 2 hours a week you are working, in some way, as far as I am concerned.

The problem is, most employees do not wish to bite the hand that feeds them, so they just comply, and what happens, the company gets away with it, unfortunately.

I worked as a financial manager in the cattle industry, we had lots of reps whose employment contracts had to be renewed when the company was sold. I got the employment lawyer to give me the details of the hours, so that I could ensure that contractually the reps were covered, as in the past the company expected them to work at least a 44 hour week. When management resisted, I offered to check with the Fair Work Ombudsman, they very quickly backed down and all went well from there. I have worked for four employers in Australia, all small companies, and of these there was only one that was not in breach of this law. That being said, the 38 hour week only came into law around 2009, I think.

If you wish to read more, here is a link: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employee-entitlements/hours-of-work-breaks-and-rosters/hours-of-work

Hi Mara, thanks for the explanation. You mentioned something else that attracts my attention - cattle industry. Will PM you

I do think there is an element of "am i being paid enough to justify the extra work", if yes you just do it because you are getting paid enough to justify it, if no, look for new work, or unfortunately as with Eyebrow if you cant move it it really lousy (We do feel for you eyebrow an holding thumbs it will improve).

Taking them on with fairwork in a smaller size business will almost certainly poison your relationship with that company going forwards, and they will reply to future references with "no comment" , perfectly legal but putting a big dent in your chances of getting future work.

Yes if you have been abused and you want something out of them on your way out, sure take them on, if not just move on

• 1 month later...

So I have an interview of sorts for s new job. In a new place.

I thought I would be happy, but I am just scared ?

Funny how we are? Funny thing fear as well...

Scared because of visa resetting to 2 years again, because now we have 15 months left before we can apply for PR...

• Like 2

I can imagine that you are scared! Sometimes it's better to stay with the devil you know BUT if you are miserable, 15 months is a long time!!!

Let us know how the interview goes!!!

I can imagine that you are scared! Sometimes it's better to stay with the devil you know BUT if you are miserable, 15 months is a long time!!!

Let us know how the interview goes!!!

There are regular devils and then there is Eyebrow's very special brand of devil. Hope your interview goes well so you can put in a official complaint agains that nasty piece of work. He should not be allowed to keep on doing what he has been clearly doing for a while.

• Like 3

Good luck Eyebrow, I hope it all comes out tops for you!

Good luck with the interview Eyebrow

All the best Eyebrow. I'm not surprised you're scared as you have had your confidence knocked by the way you have been treated.

I know that resetting the time is a pain but if the choice is between stress / unhappiness versus time then I'd choose time. Holding thumbs and crossing fingers and toes for you.

• Like 1

So... Went for interview in Queensland. And stayed with the 2 best forumites ever! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

But sadly although they were happy to give me the job, they wouldnt sponsor the visa... :(:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Back to square one. Getting a little bit more worse for wear every time.

Oh dear Eyebrow, so sorry to hear that. We will pray for you that something else comes along soon!

I have come to the point now where I am really tired.

I have a lot of fight in me. I have fallen down before (and quite spectacularly!) but I have made a plan. I have an out-of-the-box way of thinking, that has got me to places where I never would have been otherwise!

TO tell you a story...

I was about 13 or 14y old. We were on the farm in the Northern Transvaal (GOK what it is called now :glare: ), anyway, imagine beef farm and growing mielies for feed. I was already driving the bakkie (sorry "Ute" doesnt fit in this description) at that age, because my father needed help transporting things across the farm and I was the eldest, I had to help. We also had a small 80 cc kiddie scrambler bike. ANyway we also had a 500 CC Honda scrambler. Big thing with those off road tires and high mudguards. But it was a kick start type bike. And the recoil was such that my mother couldnt start it, only my dad could. I had my eye on this bike and was dying to have a ride. My father, not wanting to say No directly to an early teenager, decided to give the sage comment one night at the dinner table : "If you can start it, you can ride it", knowing full well I had an ice cubes chance in hell to start this bike! This P'd me off royally. If you want to say no, then say NO, not sugar coat it into a way that it seems like I am getting the opportunity, while really I am not! :angry2:

One day the bike was starting out in the skuur with the key in the ignition (not like anyone would take it right? ANd my father had enough bruises on his maermerrie to show that it is indeed difficult to start) , and my father was working 50 meters away on the kraal. And I had an out-of-box idea...

"Dad. CAn I ride the bike?"I shouted.

He yelled back: "you know the rules!"

Indeed I did.

I took the bike off its stand and pushed it some ways to the dirt road. The petrol switch was on, and i turned the ignition. My dad looked at me from a distance, probably wondering what I was up to, and also because my mom dropped the bike once and couldnt pick it up because it was so heavy! I then proceeded to push it downhill, jumped on , clutch in, toe up in second gear and... I let the clutch go and the thing started beautifully! I heard shouting in the background and saw my dad running towards me as fast as those boer legs could carry him. Yelling probably stop. But I was too far to hear. And it was amazing. I knew the rules indeed! And now he would also know that he should not make rules with legal loopholes. I rode for 2 hours. Got sun and wind burnt. It was a glorious day. I remember it like yesterday. Breaking convention and the freedom that I felt, in the way only a motorcycle can make you feel! The smell of the bloekom trees. I only came back because it ran out of petrol...

When I got back after this trip my dad was livid! Smoorkwaad. But I reminded him that he said "start" not which way I had to start it... Of course, needless to say, the rule then had an amendment, kickstart only! But I got my amazing trip through the whole of our farm on every dirt road, through the river, up the mountain.

I miss those times.

I am too tired to fight now. I cant fix our situation. My work, the visa, the money problems, nothing...

It is 18.35 and I am still at the office. Better get home right?

• Like 2

Aah Eyebrow, I feel for you! Great story! I hope you can somehow get your energy back and your will to fight in order to think of a way, "an out-of-the-box way" to get yourself out of this really destructive situation you are in now.

• Like 1

Eyebrow, I worked once for a crazy lady, she was nuts!!! Worked late every day, including Fridays until 8, and will hear the sarcastic remarks while she was drinking her tea, which I had to make for her!!! I feel for you, I really do!!

I do not live in Oz yet, so the stress is probably 10 times worse than I think it might be...

But know that you have a huge support group on this forum and I believe some of them are praying for you. I always keep the saying in mind... (and pin up at my desk when going through a tough time)

'Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it is not the end”

You sound like a tenacious person that will not let anyone stand in the way of reaching your goals.

And when you get that golden ticket, tell that guy EXACTLY what you think of him!!!

Keep that as a goal in mind!!

Edited by TacticJourney
  • Like 1