Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

People,

Eyebrow is living the 457 dream.

More intensely than PR, but the same thing except for .... So not much like the same thing

Those of you who came over on PR visas hve NO idea of the stresses the 457ers may have.

I do NOT include the 457ers from Europe who may be over for a year or two before they retrurn to take over a banking empire - or whatever ...................

I admire Eyerow - I fear her single-mindedness, and I would hate to be around when her ire is raised ...

Luvya - eyebrow,

• Like 4

I second that , she is a strong and very brave woman!

• Like 2

Not like that was in ANY doubt whatsoever.

Eyebrow's journey is amazing.

• Like 2

People,

Eyebrow is living the 457 dream.

More intensely than PR, but the same thing except for .... So not much like the same thing

Those of you who came over on PR visas hve NO idea of the stresses the 457ers may have.

I do NOT include the 457ers from Europe who may be over for a year or two before they retrurn to take over a banking empire - or whatever ...................

I admire Eyerow - I fear her single-mindedness, and I would hate to be around when her ire is raised ...

Luvya - eyebrow,

Eyebrow for Ironwoman!

You keep going girl!!!!

:blush-anim-cl:

Thank you for your kind words.

I have been down the last few days. SO it came at just the right moment. Maybe you guys have some 6th sense or something? :ph34r:

Not sure it is deserved. I am the most average non-descript person you will ever meet.

You know, "the WTH have I done?-phase" hitting hard and fast and without warning... :cry:

I have days when things look familiar, and then other days when everything is new and strange.

Also the moment I think: "This place is great!" I have another thought that says: "Dont you dare get too attached to this country, because you might never qualify for PR. And then you will only get hurt when you are thrown out of Aus, kids and all." :unsure:

I went to one of the periheral sites in rural Victoria where I will be working yesterday, and the people werent speaking English! :o

(Well, OK, they were. But not a version that I was familiar with. :blink: . I kept asking them to repeat themselves... O goodness, here comes trouble)

And I am starting work next week... :(

• Like 2

I remember that feeling of not knowing what is being said all too well! When we arrived, I had been an English teacher for nearly 13 years. I was totally bewildered in the presence of any Aussies and I refused to answer the phone. I felt like a right royal idiot asking everyone to repeat everything they said! I couldn't even hear what that nice handyman on Better Homes & Gardens said. It was awful!

My poor brain was so overwhelmed that EVERYBODY sounded Aussie to me...even the Saffas :D !

Give it some time. It took me about 3 months to "acclimatize". (I wasn't working so I didn't encounter too many people every day. It will be quicker for you).

And I am also part of the :yourock: team :)

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 1

Eyebrow, a BIG tip, dont say "excuse me" when you didn't get what was said and want them to repeat it. This, especially delivered in a RSA accent, can be perceived as aggressive. Just say "pardon?". Not even "I beg your pardon", which has the same issues as excuse me, just pardon. You can say "excuse me" at the beginning of a sentence , followed by something non aggressive like "you have dropped your wallet" or "do you know where the post office is?".

• Like 1

Today I want to talk about... Skins!

Mine, kids', everyone's.

My skin has been so dry ever since we got here! Good thing in a way, since the odd pimple that I used to get is now gone. :whome:

But it is grey and flaky, and I use a lot of cream. The moisturisers here dont seem to be as thick as I remember RSA's to be. Or, I could just be imagining it? Did other people feel the same way?

Also, I am a lot darker! And the kids are darker and my 6y old is getting freckles around his nose for the first time. There truly is a lot more sun exposure here than in South Africa.

Kids have PT everyday at school. My 3y old had to walk to another school today to see their selfsustaining organic garden. (Which is great, but led to her watering everything she can find, plant or de not, in our house! :( )

And I find myself in the sun a lot. Incidentally. I dont intend to, but lots of walking and waiting at bus stations and walking to pick up kids from school. Sun, sun, sun!

In South africa I got into the car in the garage which was attached to the house, and drove to work and parked in indoor parking garage and worked in same building. and reverse in the evenings. Stayed in the house on weekends (behind locked gates of course) except for odd trip to Pick and Pay, which also had parking garage attached to it at N1 city. I was as pale as a baby's bum! :P

Skin cancer looks to be a reality for the us one day!

I hate sunscreen (ironic but I do). The smell, the feel of it on your skin, the way it messes up your clothing, how the kids fight you and wriggle when you try and put it on them. And dont even talk about a :cowboy: !

Oh dear, what to do?

• Like 3

Eyebrow I was thinking the same thing the other day. I'm very fair skinned, and I don't tan, ever :glare: At least you're brown. I become red for a week, then my skin peels for another week, then I get freckles and moles as the very end result! Not nice.

Don't like hats because they make my head sweat and itch. Don't like sunscreen, especially on face, because it gives me pimples, makes me sweaty/oily and gives a general feel like my skin cant breath. I've learnt to become an indoor person, but crave freedom too much. So I'd rather have freedom, even if it comes with freckly sweaty pimply skin :P

• Like 1

Nee man girlz..!

It takes about 3 weeks to get into a new habit, and then a habit becomes part of your routine. Even before you know it, you won't even notice you're doing it (wait that sounds like married life... :whome: )

But seriously it's worth it... When last did you see somebody who's had a part of their nose or earlobe amputated? Very unCool!

• Like 4

Hey ! Did you know that rubbing avocado on your skin is wonderful sunblock ? Also eating lots of orange fruit like cantaloupe (spanspek) and mangoes - it increases beta carotenes, protects your skin from the inside against sunburn. :)

post-13161-0-59177500-1414701083_thumb.j

Eyebrow. Go down to your new favourite shop, Aldi. Buy at least 10 of this (very cheap) factor 50 and put it EVERYWHERE (nex to your toothbrush, inside your wardrobe, next to your vitamins in the kitchen, in every bedroom, in all the bags of the family, one by the front door and one in the car. The spray action makes it easy to apply on bodies and for the face I spray it in my hand and then spread (while saying "close your eyes and mouth!". Go to Kmart/Target/bigW and buy cheap hats for the kids, or the Cancer Council Shop once your ship has come in, and also place them everywhere. Have a set of hats that live in the car and one in everybody's bag. You can get hats that are gauzy around the head for heat. I have a Hurley (factory shop of course, $10) that looks like it was crochet, its holey all over. The dry skin thing can be what I used to get as soon as I left the Cape province, it will probably settle down soon. Drink lots of tap water, decant in bottles and leave on your desk at work etc. Aldi has a highly regarded beauty range, dirt cheap and in industry comparisons often outshine the fancy brands. Wont hurt to go have a look there. Good luck. Min dae.

PS. I am a redhead and a melanoma survivor, so this is a topic I have researched to a T. :grads:

Edited by rozellem
  • Like 4

Sjoe Rozellem! Glad that you are ok now!

Australia is an interesting choice of country to live in with such a history...

I did go to Aldi's (although to be fair it is my SECOND favourite shop, K-mart is still my favourite! :ilikeit: ) and got 1 litre of above Ombra sunscreen for $6.99. One of their specials (in the centre bit) at the moment. Now all we have to do is ... put it on :whome:

The weather in Melbourne is strange. In a big way!

It was freezing on Thursday. 3 degrees at night. Which meant 2 duvets and a blanket. Especially since we are still sleeping on the floor. And I slept with a fleece jacket on. The Friday it got hotter and hotter.And then at 5 pm it was measuring 33 degrees. Like properly hot! And musquitos and funny small black fly-type things everywhere. I was sweating like nothing.

Then we went to bed and woke up to sleet-like rain and heavy winds. in fact the neighbours phone cable was blown off and landed behind our car!

A friend rang and said to come for lunch and bring our "bathers"(apparetly swimming clothes :blush-anim-cl: ). Which I didnt do. Because, halllooo, it is freezing!

We drove to them 23km and 30 min away. and got there to a pool party. It was warm. :blink:

Nothing has prepared me for this.

I literally dont know what to put on in the morning. And not in the usual female way. I really mean I dont know!!!

• Like 6

Learn to watch the weather report on the evening news or get a weather app for your mobile!

Aveeno is one of the best moisturising creams I have come across.

• Like 1

I literally dont know what to put on in the morning. And not in the usual female way. I really mean I dont know!!!

People from Melbourne often say you should put it all on if going out...and then take layers off or put back on as applicable as the day progresses. :)

• Like 1

Eyebrow, I know exactly how you feel. When we first arrived I felt like my bone marrow had frozen and even now after 4 months, I'm still wearing way more layers than the locals. And the sunscreen will take a while to get used to but don't worry, it will come.

Suggestions

- if you are driving around with a car, keep a backup pack in the boot. I have one with ponchos and umbrellas.

- if not with car, start travelling with a biiiiiiiiiig bag on the Kim Kardashian scale. That way you will have somewhere to put your layers as you peel them off.

- try to keep the sunscreen in the same place as you keep your house keys. Reach for one, reach for the other.

You will acclimatise quite quickly to the temperature. Already I'm finding that 10 degrees now is not the same as 10 degrees was. As Fish says, layers, layers, layers.

My most reliable weather report has been my standard weather on my iphone. But I have learned on the day to look at the hourly tracker. That gives me a far better indicator of what the day will bring. Did go out and get the Melbourne weather app, but not impressed at all.

The standard saying in Melbourne - if you don't like the weather, wait a minute

• Like 2

Today is a public holiday here in Melbourne.

And tomorrow?

It is D-day.

I am starting my new job.

Wish I could say I was excited, but I am petrified.

This move has taken a lot out of me, and I feel drained. :sleep1:

NOT READY!

• Like 1

Wow, time has flown!!! Yes, definitely find rescue, pick me ups and whatever boosters you can find :).

I hope you have a fantastic first day, meet great people and feel at home! Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Eyebrow :yourock: , all the best on your first day.. And if it goes bad, just do it better the next day.

You are more ready than you think! Why? Because you're a boertjie in Aussie - the best kind of people in the best kind of land - just do it!

• Like 2

Work...

It has been phenominally hard.

Unexpectedly so.

I am out of my depth.

But what can one do? Just stick with it I guess.

Can only get better, right?

Oh Eyebrow, sorry to hear it's been hard! :(

But you're right... take it one day at a time, and remember this may not be the last job you ever have. Think about the journey you've been on so far - I know you can do it!

They may just need some time to realise how awesome you are :D

Hi Eyebrow,

I remember the first 3 months of my work here in SA was terrible. Very overwhelming, physically and mentally exhausting (cried the first week and told my hubby I'm quitting) I stuck with it and its now 2 years later and I love it. I am very heartbroken to leave - its my dream job. I look forward to Mondays so that I'm back at work again (very weird I know!).

So yes I believe it will only get better.

Keep strong

• Like 1