NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

Hi guys

Any updates yet on dates? 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2015 at 11:15 PM, ZIC said:

i everyone

Still no CO, but I think I know why. In their automated responses, they have mentioned that for some time, couple of weeks, they will rather try to finalise opened applications, than start allocating new ones for COs. So, I am guessing, I will have to wait a little more.

And yes, Merry Christmas to everyone!

Edited by Elna57
Mistake

We are currently assessing for finalization applications lodged up to 28 February 2014. 

On 12/23/2015 at 11:15 PM, ZIC said:

Sorry ZIC. Don't know what happened there. :wub:

We are currently assessing for finalization applications lodged up to 28 February 2014. 

Good to know we're moving forward :) 

On another note:   Firstly, was told by an acquaintance when his sister migrated to Melbourne, her wooden furniture was quarantined for 6 months, whilst the authorities tested samples taken from the wood itself for contamination of insects larvae, etc. all at the importer's/migrant's expense.   I have a number of furniture items (oak and laminated whatever wood) I would like to bring with me.   The thought of such an added expense is devastating to me.  I can sell off as many wooden items as possible (for peanuts) or check the items myself for obvious telltale signs of investation.  No guarantee there; for I'm no expert in this field.  The option of replacing these is a cost not budgeted for.    What experiences have those who have already passed the Australian scrutiny had?   Is it possible to have your personal effects fumigated in SA, before arriving in Australia?  Any suggestions most welcome.

Secondly, do we get a Medicare Card (presume on application) and if we use it, does that go against the Assurance of Support?   Or is it best to use private doctors for the first 10  years (whilst the Assurance of Support is in force)?

I know, questions, questions, questions - it's crazy what goes through your mind during the night.

On 1/23/2016 at 5:33 PM, MomMuerte said:

On another note:   Firstly, was told by an acquaintance when his sister migrated to Melbourne, her wooden furniture was quarantined for 6 months, whilst the authorities tested samples taken from the wood itself for contamination of insects larvae, etc. all at the importer's/migrant's expense.   I have a number of furniture items (oak and laminated whatever wood) I would like to bring with me.   The thought of such an added expense is devastating to me.  I can sell off as many wooden items as possible (for peanuts) or check the items myself for obvious telltale signs of investation.  No guarantee there; for I'm no expert in this field.  The option of replacing these is a cost not budgeted for.    What experiences have those who have already passed the Australian scrutiny had?   Is it possible to have your personal effects fumigated in SA, before arriving in Australia?  Any suggestions most welcome.

Secondly, do we get a Medicare Card (presume on application) and if we use it, does that go against the Assurance of Support?   Or is it best to use private doctors for the first 10  years (whilst the Assurance of Support is in force)?

I know, questions, questions, questions - it's crazy what goes through your mind during the night.

I have never heard of furniture been quarantined for 6 months. Yes containers are inspected (and this can cause a delay) and items testedand fumigated at the owners expenses IF they have risk, but not for 6 months. A South African urban legend gone crazy! If the items are obviously factory made, are not antiques,with a woodworm risk there should be no problem. Cane furniture is often considered risky as it is often untreated, and even if you varnish it there is a risk you wont get it all (think joints). The Australians are unlikley to accept fumigation from a RSA source.

Dear "19yearsoutofrsa" - thanks a mill for your feedback.  Every ounce of reassurance goes a long way :)

MomMuerte,

Regarding the furniture - urban legend.

Medicare - you apply at Centrelink after you have arrived. You will need your passport/s and visa grant document/s - if I remember correctly. A week later you get your Medicare card in the mail.

It is not a bad idea to get private medical insurance as well. Medicare pays for your eye test but not for the frame and lenses. Dental not covered by Medicare. Medicare does not "not go against the Assurance of Support".

Go to doctors who do Medicare bulk billing - no out of pocket expenses for doctor's appointments. Private doctors will charge you and Medicare will refund you their share - $34 I think. Go to chemists like Chemist Warehouse where you get good discount on script medication.

• Like 1

Thank you RichtB,  that's great news on both fronts.

Hi All,

just a quick update on our case. We have received the email from the CO. CO has asked for new form 80. It seems rest documents are all good but lets see what happens from here. Fingers crossed hope everything goes smooth once we submit our new form 80. At this stage bit confused though any suggestions for me :unsure:

Edited by myth

Hi All

My wife and I currently have been issued with our 189 PR visa's and will be landing in Brisbane in April 2016. The plans are for her mum and sister to follow ASAP. I have two questions that I would like some clarity on:

• I see that the requirements are that we need to be residents for two years before my wife's mum can qualify for the Parent visa class. Her mum is currently in her 50's. My question is, since the processing time to get the visa is approximately 22 months, can we start the process in maybe 6 months time or do we have to physically be in Oz for 2 years before we can start anything?
  • My wife's sister is currently in her mid twenties and is currently studying. She is fully dependent on my wife and her mum. Can she be included on her mums visa application as a dependent since she has no form of income and has never worked before?

Thanks and good luck with the waiting..... its nerve wrecking ......

Question 1 :  My understanding is that you have to physically be here for two years before you can apply and if approved, it would take around another two years for visa approval. That is for the contributory parent visa. The non-contributory visa now has a waiting time of 50 years!

Question 2 : My understanding is that this could be a problem, as by then she would surely have finished studying and therefore cannot claim to be dependant?

Your problem then would be the balance of family, if they are only the two sisters, one in Australia and one in RSA, I have an idea that mother will not be eligible for a visa.

These are just my assumptions from what I have seen on the forum, if I am wrong, someone will be sure to correct me. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The balance of family test is that 50% or more of your children must be resident in Australia. So your MIL qualifies on this one - if there are only two children. However your wife needs to be in Australia for 2 years or more before your MIL can start the application process.

Regarding your wife's sister being included as a dependent - I think Mara has a point

Thanks Mara

I am pretty sure that in the balance of family test if there are 2 children, and with 1 in Oz and the other in RSA, that criteria is met. i.e. 50% or more. With regards to her sister, I think her studies will be done but the challenge will then be for her to apply for a 189 visa on her own, with pretty much no work experience.

In our case my son was a citizen and my second child (out of three) was just resident for 3 months before we applied.

As far as I could find out, your sponsor child must be able to convince them that they are permanently resident (which NORMALLY is 2 years), but you may want to research this a bit more. There might be a way that you can prove you are there permanently after a few months and your mother could apply sooner.

As far as your dependent daughter is concerned, she can also try for a study visa in Aus which is readily available it seems, until you've figured a way for her to stay permanently. See:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud

It really looks like the study visa is our best bet. Has anyone had any experience on converting their study visa into a PR. I foresee this a a long road with plenty of "if's" and "buts"

Studying as a foreign student, which the sister would be, is going to be horrendously expensive, you will have to check on the costs of whatever degree she may be interested in..

Thanks Mara, I guess if it is the only way then I better start saving:stretcher:. At the end of the day it is about making sure she can come over and have a life that is worth living! Thanks so much for the advice

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask so that we can arrange everything in time. We have submitted the requested documents. Now it shouldn't take long for CO next email asking for second Visa charge !!

To all who have been here for at least 2 years or more, but not yet 10 years, on the 143 contributory visa,

1. Besides the normal discounts one can get with your seniors card, what other Centrelink benefits would one qualify for?
  2. If one qualify for some how do you apply?
  3. Which of you are considering Australian Citizenship?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys. I was just wondering.... so many things have changed since Orphan has gone over to Australia. I read on the border website that one should not go for medicals before requested to so so. I was hoping to go for medicals about three to four months before we expect to get a case officer, but it says that doing that could slow the process down?. We also won't have HAP numbers yet. Is there anyone here who has been through or in the process at the moment who could shed some light on the matter? Would one have to wait for a case officer to be appointed before one would get any correspondence from them? Our lodgement date is 25th February 2015 so i suppose the absolute latest we should hear anything is February 2017. Am I correct? Please, any advise will be gratefully accepted. The time in the waiting room is getting harder and harder the longer we have to wait.

Also, we wish to renew our Visitors visas in case there is an emergency and we HAVE to travel to Australia. Is that advisable or is there a way one could get an emergency visa should the need arise?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Elna57
spelling

Oh, by the way, the date currently being processed is 1st April and has been for more than 10 days now. The processing seem to be very slow at the moment.

Hello Elna57,

I echo your feelings; my application was lodged exactly 4 months after yours and have heaps of months longer to wait.  So much time on the one hand and so little when it comes to selling off, sorting out and getting rid of belongings.

Stay strong.

• Mara pinned this topic