NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

Chin up Elna, you don't have much longer to go!

I read your post first thing this morning, drinking my cup of coffee, looking out  at a glorious sunny morning in lovely Buderim on the Sunshine Coast of Australia. As I did so, all the memories of our time in the waiting room came flooding back.  The frustration, the anxiety, the planning, the dreaming....And then I remembered the day of our departure, saying our goodbyes at the airport, waiting for our flight to be called, settling into our seats on the plane, the thrill of the takeoff, a final last look at the brown earth of South Africa, and then the realisation that our life had started afresh.

The bad memories fade fast, and are quickly replaced by new experiences in this wonderful country.

Its all worth it in the end

• Like 3

Orphan, I was thinking of you recently when our visa assessment date started to get extended - how you guys bought your tickets before you had your visa and how you wanted to be with your kids by Christmas. I thought we might end up in the same situation, but then realized that we had to just forget about it and take it as it comes. We're not going to make it for Christmas :(

Elna, our situation is even more uncertain, because my youngest son is getting married in Cayman Islands in January and we have to be there. We were hoping to fly from Brisbane with the other children and grand children to help them, but now we might not have our visa yet and have to fly from SA, come back and then pack for Aus. Doing our medicals somewhere in between...

But let me give you some positive thoughts which my wife and I have been surviving on: We enjoy the cheap cappuccinos and eat out as much as we can, converting the Rands to AU$ every time and know we won't be able to afford it once we're there ! So enjoy the last bit of cheap living while you can !!:D  

Another month or two (or three) in SA won't change our future much. Just be patient !

On the 21 June 2016 the assessment date was:

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 29 May 2014.

Today 2 August 2016 the assessment date (and comment) is (not good news again):

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 1 June 2014.  Please note that due to a very high number of 173 and 143 applications received in June 2014, the assessment date is expected to change at a much slower pace than usual.  We appreciate your patience and your understanding.

• Like 1

DirkZ.  Looking at the update notifications you post periodically, I wouldn't risk buying a plane ticket until my case officer made contact!   Seems like there are an awful lot of us old fogies hitting the road for Australia, and the end-of-waiting date is not so predictable anymore.

But I did enjoy your comment about the cheap Cappuccinos. Wise words indeed.  A bottle of ordinary Johnny Walker (Red), " ON SPECIAL"  nogal, will set you back the equivalent of R385.00,  Even worse, the bottle is only 700 milliliters in size!  And yesterday we bought one stick of Biltong from a local shop owned by SAffers. -cost us the equivalent of R500 a kilogram! Tasted really good though. 

• Like 1

Hi Orphan. Thank you for the positive response. If you compare prices there to these here, there is not much of a difference any more like it used to be a couple of years ago. My son came over from Brisbane last December and was shocked to see how expensive everything here is now unless you shop around for specials and often it isnt worth the extra fuel to chase the specials.

I can not wait to get to Austtalia and things are really slowing down badly. I so wish that Immi would at least provide us with more information. Do they not realise what a great expense it is for us 143 visa applicants and that we really miss our families terribly.  Even if they could perhaps have issued our Hap numbers so that we can get the medicals done it would have been so much easier on us. We could have gone over and waited for our visas even if we had to leave the country when it is time for our visas to be granted. Also it would bring us peace of mind and a little comfort knowing that there are no obstacles. (Healthwise). 

In the meantime the ZAR is doing its own thing and the money that we were hoping to bring over becomes another worry. Is the exchange rate going to steady?  O  top of everything else... conditions here are not getting any better. 

I am so sorry that I am being so negative but am so grateful that there is some place where I can air my frustration and people will understand since we are all in the same boat. 

Thank you to each and every one of you for your support and encouragement. I hope to be bouncing back to my normal self again soon. Good luck to all of you. Lets hope that Immi gets over this slow phase quickly and surprise us all. 

Hi Dirkz. I am glad that they think we are patient and understanding ?. 

I have family on The Rock ( as she likes to call the Cayman Islands).  Curious to know whether the wedding will be at the venue which she manages. 

Thank you for your support and encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi to all waiting for the Subclass 143 Visa

Last update received on 30 Aug - only just assessed a little past halfway through June 2014

"We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 17 June 2014.  Please note that due to a very high number of 173 and 143 applications received in June 2014, the assessment date is expected to change at a much slower pace than usual.  We appreciate your patience and your understanding."

A very long long time to still wait....will probably only be leaving these shores end 2017 at best at this rate.   Hhmmm,  I wonder and wonder.  Seems to be no speeding up.

• Like 1

Hi MomMuerte,

This wait is really testing one's patience!! :( 

We submitted on 1 October 2014 and judging by the "speed" of the applications we should hear in December 2016.  Our house has been sold and we have to move out on 1 December 2016 :(  

Edited by Ashmount
  • Like 1

Hello Ashmount,

Luckily you're 9 months ahead of me in the queue and with a bit of luck you may well hear in December this year.  Fingers crossed.   :rolleyes:

Mine was only submitted 24 June 2015 (awaited the compulsory 2 year anniversary of my son living there) and the PC hasn't even completed June 2014 !!!

My home is new on the market - thought it best to stick to my original timeline - means one less thing to stress about for the next 14+ months (hopefully not longer). Am fortunate to squat with my other son in SA until departure (assuming I will be departing :) )

Good luck over the following three months.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in the waiting room who recently got their visa/ got allocated a case officer or heard anything from Immi? Does anyone have any idea what timeframe we are looking at now for the 143 visa? We applied in February 2015.

Yes, Progress has been very slow since July. 

On 25 August they were assessing 16 June 2014. On 13 September they were only at 19 June 2014.

I've sent Test emails yesterday and today but no response, which is strange, because I normally get a response email within minutes. Oh well....

Our plans have also been delayed due to the slow down. But whatever happens must happen. No use in getting nervous or unhappy.

Look at the bright side. New proposed legislation in Australia is aiming to reduce or do away with the contributory parental visa due to the financial liability on the government. They are changing it to long "visit" visas for parents and the sponsor child must qualify to host the parents (between 1 to 5 years at a time depending on the visa granted) and the parents must take out compulsory medical insurance in Australia for the time they visit. So it seems like we might be the last bunch who can still make use of visa 143 (that's the bright side!)

Ok I just now received a response from the WA Parents centre (today 27 September 2016):

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 24 June 2014.  Please note that due to a very high number of 173 and 143 applications received in June 2014, the assessment date is expected to change at a much slower pace than usual.  We appreciate your patience and your understanding.

So we are still going later....

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your reply Dirkz. I know we should be patient and yes we may just be some of the last lucky ones. It is just so hard to plan anything concrete. Have a lovely day. Regards. Elna

• Like 1

@Dirkz

I need to correct your comment posted above:

New proposed legislation in Australia is aiming to reduce or do away with the contributory parental visa due to the financial liability on the government. They are changing it to long "visit" visas for parents and the sponsor child must qualify to host the parents (between 1 to 5 years at a time depending on the visa granted) and the parents must take out compulsory medical insurance in Australia for the time they visit. So it seems like we might be the last bunch who can still make use of visa 143 (that's the bright side!)

There is currently no indication that the Australian Government intends to do away with the 143 Contributory Parent Visa.  

The Productivity Commission tasked with the job of reviewing the migrant intake into Australia, has put forward a number of recommendations, two of which are reprinted below..  What is under currently consideration is * the 143 Visa fee, * reducing the number of 143 visas granted each year, * narrowing eligibility for a non-contributory parent visa, and * a new temporary parent visa that could allow up to 5 years of continuous stay    

RECOMMENDATION 13.8
The Australian Government should amend arrangements for permanent parent visa applicants. In the short term, it should:
• increase substantially the charge for contributory parent visas
• narrow eligibility to non-contributory parent visas to cases where there are strong compassionate grounds to do so, accompanied by clear published criteria to limit applications for such visas
• consider lowering the caps for contributory parent visas
• introduce a more flexible temporary parent visa that would provide longer rights of residence, but with requirements, as for other temporary visas, that the parents or sponsoring child would meet the costs of any income or health supports during the period of residence.
The Australian Government should retain current arrangements for family reunions involving partners or children.

RECOMMENDATION 13.9
The Australian Government should request the Australian Government Actuary to update its actuarial analysis of the long-term fiscal consequences of immigrants arriving under the parent visa stream, eventually incorporating all expenditures and revenues, including at the state and territory government level.

As this is likely to result in a significant increase in the 143 Visa fee, those intending to apply for this visa should do so without further delay.  The likely date of implementation of the new fee structure is 01 July 2017, but it could be earlier than that.  Those with applications already lodged, should not be affected by this increase.

• Like 1

Just got a response from : parents@border.gov.au

ONSHORE APPLICANTS (Subclass 804)

Once your application is allocated to a case officer (which may take up to 12 months) you or your authorised contact will be contacted and asked to provide more documents including police certificates and health clearances to complete your application.  As soon as you are assessed as meeting all requirements your application will be placed in a queue and assigned a queue date to wait for a visa place.  

We are currently assessing for a queue date applications lodged up to 24 December 2015

We are currently assessing for finalization applications with a queue date up to October 2009

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (Subclass 103)

Once your application is allocated to a case officer (which may take up to 17 months) your eligibility for a visa will be assessed and if you are found to meet eligibility requirements your application will be placed in a queue and assigned a queue date to wait for a visa place. 

We are currently assessing for a queue date applications lodged on 27 March 2015

We are currently assessing for finalization applications with a queue date including July 2009

There are 7175 places allocated to Contributory Parent visa category in  the 2016-17 Migration Programme. 

Due to high numbers of  Contributory Parent visa applications lodged in May and June 2014,  processing times for these is expected to exceed 24 months.

Hello to all in the waiting room,

my test mails have also been ignored. Progress is almost at a standstill and will, I assume, worsen if this window of opportunity is taken advantage of. My application was lodged 24 June 2015. Just short of year for the IMMI to catch up on - no telling how long that will take.

On the bright side, I'm still in the running.

• Like 1

Well, my home received an offer this past Saturday (subject to finance approval) and seeing some of the sold furniture items moving out bit by bit, leaves me feeling almost detached at the moment. Rooms feel strangley alien and sparse.  It hasn't really sunken in yet - no doubt it'll hit me like a freight train when it does.

Chins up to all.  Good times to come.:blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

Thanks Orphan for the correction of my crude summary of the recommendations !

I also noted that the Dept of Immigration and Border Protection is inviting the Australian public to provide views on the development of a new visa for parents of Australians by providing a written submission before midnight on 31 October 2016.

At least they are not just doing things before getting input from the public.

The discussion paper can be found here

We'll see what transpires, but at least we should be safe as Orphan mentioned 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi jolly good hello to everyone in the waiting room

The response to my test mail yesterday :

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 27 June 2014.  Please note that due to a very high number of 173 and 143 applications received in June 2014, the assessment date is expected to change at a much slower pace than usual.  We appreciate your patience and your understanding.

and so the month of June 2014 drags on ......<_<
  • Like 1

Got the same one last night! 

I'm just getting worried that they will exhaust their limit of 7175 visas for the 2016/17 allowance!

We have been getting everything ready for about this time to get our visa and be with the family by Christmas this year. But now we'll be lucky if we get there by March-May next year.....

Our plans are being tested and we need to be wise and patient :)

• Like 1

Good news guys, only 1 working day left in June 2014.  :)

Hopefully they will gain a bit of speed when dealing with July as June has been an extremely slow month.  

I know we have to be patient but my patience is wearing thin. :rolleyes:  It feels as though our lives are "on hold" as one cannot make definite plans.  

• Like 1

Hi Guys and Gals. Hope you are all well. I am actually too scared to see July 2014 reply from Immi. What if we get more of "large number of applications received"? Lets be positive and hope not. That Immi will catch up and surprise us all. :)

Yes Elna, if only it was a steady movement of assessing the visas, we could plan ahead.

But with the excessive increase of applications during May and June 2014, and not knowing what will happen from July onwards, anything is possible. 

It's difficult to speculate whether the 43% increase during June 2014 had anything to do with their financial year end or not. Let's hope so and that from July they will step it up again ?

Hi Dirkz, Mommeurte et al.

We are battling to sell our house so the delay with the processing is working a little bit in our favour. I can not wait to see what the processing speed is going to be like once Immi got over the June hiccups. Hope it will be a nice surprise. 

Dirkz, I would like to ask............ since your Acknowledgement letter...... you have had NO correspondence from Immi at all? 

Can someone please advise as well... once our house has been sold and we move into a temporary place, do we have to inform Immi of our change of address?

TIA

Kind regards to all.

Elna

• Mara pinned this topic