NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but I found it really helpful so I thought I will join.

I am currently in Australia and already an Australian citizen. My parents are both 63 y.o. now still in a good health so I thought that this is may be the last chance we would have to bring them over here. I am their only daughter and I moved to Australia 6 years ago.

I was thinking to start an application for parent contributory visa 143. Something that bothers me is of course reading that the total cost for 2 parents adds up to about $100 000.

I went online and I can add up the price to only $35 000 for 2 parents. Surely I am missing something.

Could someone help me by roughly breaking down the costs, please? I will really appreciate it.

Thank you

And good luck to all in the waiting list

Sylvia

• Like 1

Hi 

$45 000 per parent plus a $14 000 Assurance of Support payable to Centrelink which will be refunded after 10 years. This is just immi charges it does not include any application costs. It is indeed an enormous amount of money to pay

• Like 1

MomMuerte

If you were in Durban I swear the two of us would have been having champagne breakfast this morning after the date change.! I am so happy, :D

Welcome Sylvia and good luck with your application for your parents.

Hi Elna,

most definitely !!   did a rough count and came up with ca 10 mnths, 3 wks of processing before my lodgement date (24/06/2015) is reached.   keeping fingers crossed really hard that I'll have a case officer assigned by latest Aug 2017 and to get that application processed "like a speedy Gonzales" .:cowboy:.. . yeehaaaa.

• Like 1

@Sylvia

Hi Sylvia, welcome to the forum!

You can view the current Visa prices at the following link http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees. The notes that are pertinent to the usual Parent Visa application are 19d2 and 19j (line 8), which currently record this visa cost as being: 

APPLICATION FEE

First Applicant (i.e one parent) - AU$3,695

Additional Applicant (i.e second parent) - AU$1,245

...therefore visa appllication fee for two parents - AU$4,940

VISA GRANT FEE

First Applicant = AU$43,600

Second Applicant - AU$43,600

...therefore visa grant fee for two parents - AU$87,200

ASSURANCE OF SUPPORT BOND

First Applicant = AU$10,000

Second Applicant - AU$4,000

...therefore AOS bond for two parents - AU$14,000.  (Note: This is refundable with interest after 10 years)

TOTAL UPFRONT COST FOR TWO PARENTS - AU$106,140  

If you are intending to bring your parents across, you should not delay, as there are moves afoot to significantly increase the cost of this visa. Remember, the only amount you need to have to submit their application is AU$4,940. Thereafter you have a delay of between 2 and 3 years before the application is assessed, and having to pay in the balance.

• Like 2

Hi guys. Thank you for your worm welcoming and your help

Thank you very much Orphan,

You have been very helpful!

That explains what I missed when I began reading about the visa cost.

For some reason I didn't find anything for this Visa Grant Fee and it was doing my head in :-)

So I suppose the big chunk of the money $87,200 are owed towards the end of the process - lets say 2-3 years after submitting the application. Does the immigration department requesting these after the final medical test? I am just thinking is there any chance something to get wrong and we loose this amount...Or does this request mean that my parents are approved and the immigration department is ready to grant the visa once they pay the final fee?

As most ordinary people they are thinking to put their home on the market we will hope for the best.

• Like 1

You only pay the Visa fee of AU$87,200, and the Assurance of Support Bond of AU$14,000, right at the end of the process, once the visa has been approved, but before it is actually issued.

If your parents fail their medical examination (which takes place about 6 - 12 months before their visa application is considered), then everything comes to a halt and they will be advised that their application has been rejected.  In such event, all it will cost is the non-refundable initial fee of AU$4,940.         

• Like 2

Thank you so much Orphan and everyone else who have took time to write here.

I find this forum and particularly this thread very helpful.

I am planning to start my both parents application very soon.

I will post their time line soon.

Hopefully with a good end:-)

• Like 1

Hi Ashmount. Am I correct in assuming that since your acknowledgement letter with the first VAC, that you have had NO correspondence from Immi at all re police clearance or medicals and form 80?

Also I would like some advice please. Our passports expire in 2018.  I was wondering whether we shouldn't apply for new passports now since it will be 4 years before we can apply for citizenship in Australia if we do get our visas. Is it even possible to renew one's passports before the expiry date?

Thanks in advance  for any advice. Orphan

Hello Elna,

I wouldn't worry about renewing your passports before you leave.  

Firstly, because the process once you are in Australia (which is done via courier through the SA High Commission in Canberra) works very efficiently and only takes about 5-6 weeks.

Secondly, because (if I remember correctly) you are only allowed officially to renew your passport prior to expiry date if you will be out of the country on that date.  Normally they will allow a grace period of up to 6 months.  But if you try and do it too far in advance, you could come up against some bureaucratic obstinance!   

Hi Elna,

Our application is being done through an Agent.  They requested us in October last year to apply for our Police Clearance, which we have done.  Basically it is just the medicals which must be done, but that I have read you only do once your Case Officer is assigned??  Form 80 was submitted with our original application.

Good news - email which my daughter received this morning :

" OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)
When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 11 August 2014."

:D

• Like 1

Ow wow! Thank you so much Ashmount :) This is fantastic news! Yay! Especially for you! 

Orphan. Thank you so much for your great advice. Is it going well and are you enjoying Australia? I can not wait to get there. I am both excited and really scared at the same time. :lol:

Greetings from a cold, wet and very windy Durban.

Have a great week.

Hi all at the end of the waiting room, I've been keeping track of the assessment dates since 13 September last year to try and get an idea when we can expect our case officer. 

From the 13th Sep until the 13th Dec 2016 (90 days) the progress has been 41 days (from 19 June to 30 July 2014).

Then until 6 Jan 2017 they stood still and no progress was made.

From the 6th Jan until now (10 days) the progress has been 11 days (30 July to 11 August 2014).

You shouldn't base your estimates on that, but it is just to sum it up roughly until now.

Ashmount, we did our police clearance in May last year when we still thought our assessment date would be around Oct/Nov 2016. 

We've just come back from my son's wedding in the Cayman Islands now and are considering renewing our police clearance because we don't want it to expire if our assessment starts too close to May. Will keep an eye on the assessment dates regularly.

• Like 2

Hi Dirkz and all waiting roomies.

I can not WAIT to see someone reporting some kind of movement or communication from Immigration.

Dirkz, how was the Cayman wedding and experience?

Elna, the wedding was lovely thank you. My son from Oz was also there. Good to see some family again !

I noticed this morning that the assessment date is stationary at 11 August 2014. So no movement during the past week :( 

• Like 1

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has gone through the AOS process recently? Our sponsor gave in the documents late november and we still haven't heard back in regards to the telephone interview.

Thanks

On 1/16/2017 at 10:29 AM, Elna57 said:

Hi Ashmount. Am I correct in assuming that since your acknowledgement letter with the first VAC, that you have had NO correspondence from Immi at all re police clearance or medicals and form 80?

Also I would like some advice please. Our passports expire in 2018.  I was wondering whether we shouldn't apply for new passports now since it will be 4 years before we can apply for citizenship in Australia if we do get our visas. Is it even possible to renew one's passports before the expiry date?

Thanks in advance  for any advice. Orphan

Hi Elna57,  that is correct nothing received but our acknowledgment letter.

Good morning to all in "Waiting Room",

Email received back this morning  " OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 18 August 2014."

:)

• Like 1

Oh wow thank you very much Ashmount. That is great news! Soon you will out of the waiting room. ? Hope that you will get your CO soon. Please keep us updated.

Have a fantastic week roomies!!

• Like 1

OUR UPDATED LIST

Ashmount          Lodged 1 October 2014 
Colgill                Lodged 1 October 2014  
Dirkz                  Lodged 6 November 2014  
Elna57               Lodged 25 Feb 2015
Marchhawker     Lodged 25 March 2015
MomMuerte.      Lodged 24 Jun 2015
acmac
JIG                     Lodged   November 2015
Jarryd13             Lodged June 2016
PatPar                Lodged Nov 2016
Bdupreez
TheHoffs
Bigvan07

so glad to see the dates moving... hopefully the continue to keep moving at a faster rate!!

• Like 1

Wow at least they are still moving with the assessments! So it seems they sometimes just jump a week after standing still for a week?

Elna I saw on Facebook (Aussiekaners) where someone asked the same question about the passport renewal before they go to Aus. The reply was that they didn't think you can renew it long before it expires, and that it's not very difficult to get a new RSA one while in Aus through the RSA High Commission in Canberra -  https://www.sahc.org.au/passports.htm

Also search John Sydney on Facebook. He gives lots of valuable info on Aussiekaners.

:D:D Hello to all in the Waiting Room,

Good news, we received an email from our Agent this morning with the following "Invitation to Commence Document Preparation - Parent Visa Application" !!

We are so happy :D

• Like 1

Oh that is just so fantastic !!!!! Congratulations!!! Woohooo!                        Does this mean you have been assigned a case officer?? And what documents are they asking for? Did they send you a hap number for medicals?  Sorry about all the questions. Super excited.

• Mara pinned this topic