Visas Lodged DECEMBER 2016

MvR89

Seems like when we just start to wonder if we have been forgotten, it happens!

There seems to have been a lot of movement this week!  So they are gaining some momentum in the promised land.

@Enigma Such AWESOME NEWS!! Well done! 

Only a few more left in the group! And i am the baby of the family - Will get news probably last. :o As long as it is good news :)

Hoping we hear more news soon for us all!!! 

• Like 2

So while we try find patience SOMEWHERE (For those still waiting) - Can we get a bit of feedback from everyone on the group as to future plans.

We are looking at Dec 17 - LSD Trip. Deciding either Sydney or Melbourne. Then Dec 18 relocate.

Anyone else willing to share?  

• Like 3

Of course, the plan was always to leave end of May 2017 (Expected to hear in March), so we've been selling off our things since November.  Still a small ways to go on the sale of items - like couches and things. 

At this stage looks like we won't ship a thing, having priced around for new items, fairly confident the de-clutter will be a good thing and life fairly quick to build up again.  The bonus is everything will be purchased to fit the new lifestyle we wont HAVE to find a spot for things we don't really need.

Only stuff we're not getting rid of are literature and a handful of personal items.  All in all a couple of boxes which we will ship from SA to AUS monthly under the 1000 AUD limit (to avoid duties even on used items)

In terms of settlement, already have the main area we're looking at central Melbourne with enough cash flow to sustain us for the first 6 months comfortably.  The wife will most likely not work immediately and I've already got some offers on the table - will make a decision on which shortly.

Hope that helps? Ask questions if any.

• Like 2

For us, it's a bit of a timing juggle; my son will write Matric this year and (if granted) our initial entry date will be 14/12/17... so it gives us a brief window to let him finish Matric and get there... hubby going first in about August and we will follow at the end of the school year.

we are going to Adelaide (hopefully - God-willing)....!

• Like 3

Our home will be going on the market in 2 weeks time, really hoping to sell before July :-)

Will also look to obtain quotes from movers in the next two weeks as well as we are considering a container.

We have booked a trip for end July for my wife and I. Will be looking to use this trip mainly for interviews which I am HOPING to prearrange before landing (open to ideas).

The plan is for me to hopefully find employment from July onwards and I will then go over alone with the rest of the family to follow in the first two weeks of Jan 2018 in time to settle in a bit just before the school year starts.

well that's the plan anyway lol...universe may have other ideas :-)

• Like 2

Congrats @Enigma

Our house is sold and the new owners take ownership around the 27th March. We fly 26th and the transfer will only be complete in April somewhere, so tight budget for the wife and I until I find employment :)

I will just say though that I had no idea I had accumulated so much c**p. Anyone need a USB printer cable? I have found about 6 today :lol:

• Like 5

So we were hoping to make the move in May this year, but our application seems to be taking a bit longer than we'd hoped it would, and so will fly out to Melbourne anytime thereafter. We'll be staying with family friends initially so that's one less stress, just to get us on our feet.

We've already sold our house, the new owners are moving in mid April, so we will either rent a place or stay with my parents in the interim, but hopefully we'll have our grant by then at least ^_^ so that hubby can start applying for jobs...

On 2/24/2017 at 0:52 PM, Enigma said:

Only stuff we're not getting rid of are literature and a handful of personal items.  All in all a couple of boxes which we will ship from SA to AUS monthly under the 1000 AUD limit (to avoid duties even on used items)

@Enigma - please elaborate, and who will you be using to send your items? We may have to do the same, as we weren't planning to take anything other than our suitcases, but would love to keep our books & a few personal items

• Like 2

Hi Chezzy,

We are storing books with folks and using FedEx / DHL later.  IE: sending a box worth every month or two.  Going to cost but at least we don't have to find storage for everything this side for stuff that doesn't have a place.

• Like 1

Hi @Enigma

Just a quick on. You mentioned on the updated statuses of the group that your visa was granted in 32 business days. Is that from the day you clicked "All info provided" button in your immiaccount? 

Thanks. 

Hi @JJDLmoving, 32 working days from the last time the VPO contacted our agent.  We had a deadline of submitting all documentation by the 6th February 2017, which we made by the 1st.

So without being sure what time they picked up the case again, just did a delta for working days from the 09/01/2017 to the date we got the VISA granted notification email.

Hope that helps somewhat?

Edited by Enigma
@ name link didn't pick up

Today is officially 3 months since we lodged our Visa, 20 days since last VPO contact.  Waiting room is not a fun place!  Wonder how much longer, it's enough already.  Wish they had that counter which says "you are number X out Y in the queue".

@MichKen - Glad to see someone else is an early riser! 

Today is day 25 since last VPO contact for us. i have pegged my money on feedback next week for myself!

ANYDAY my friend. Hang in there! 

• Like 1

Hang in there guys, you will surely pop some bubbly soon. As an aside, anyone willing to share some ball park figures te. Costs of sale of their hone? Specifically agents costs...

• Like 1

Really, really hope so @JJDLmoving, and I agree that next week should definitely be your week!

Early riser? - open my eyes to log in to my immiaccount, lol! I think I'm trying to see how many "successful login" mails I can accumulate in the shortest possible time....

• Like 2

We have decided not to sell our home, not yet anyway.

@MichKen why are you not selling? I was toying with that idea too. Are you going to rent it out? Can you give me a tour of your mind in this regard :)

Sure, we have decided the market is currently a rental market and not a good time to sell, so we can get some income from our home, which we believe may assist us financially once we land, albeit that there's an exchange rate issue.  In saying this I must state our bond is low and we can get well more than our bond payment as a rental income.... we bought 20 years ago when house prices were still really low.

We feel that we will rather hold onto our home and let it pay for itself and get some income from it and sell if and when we decide to buy in Oz, or if the market turns in the favour of the seller.  Alternatively, it is soon paid off and we can then get even more pocket money from it.

@MichKen, seems like solid thinking. Just remember that (by what I have heard so don't take this as given), Aus Capital gains tax is quite a bit higher and selling your house in SA, even if it was your primary residence, it is no longer because you are renting in Aus. So you need to just take that into consideration when thinking about the losses of selling an SA property and moving the money to Aus.

• Like 2

Thanks @JonathanR!  I will have to investigate this further.... thanks for the heads up, didn't actually even consider that as an issue.

Thanks again!

Vasbyt guys. From lodging our visas, we eventually got our grants after 123 days. Hoping you don't have to wait that long :D

• Like 3

So today is exactly 1 month since i clicked that little button "All information provided" - I hate that little button!!! :P

It is so frustrating the way time goes by so so soooooooooooooooo slowly when you are desperately awaiting something. 

TIck Tock, Tick Tock...

Hope this is a great week for everyone in the group with great success all round!

• Like 1