175 online - questions and answers

StefB

Hello all

I know I'm probably hijacking this thread but that is SO exciting. Been checking out the threads on the British Expats forum posted by Dedrei, the second one is awesome (for us onliners)!!! StefB thanks for this post, it gives me goosies from excitement. We are lodging in Oct after our IELTS!!! :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Cant wait..............

Hi there since you have managed to get your visa, if you dont mind my asking what did the process cast you bye the end of the day. I am a mechanic , what do my chances kook like on qualifying for a 175 visa.

thanks stephen

Hi Stephen

Mechanics are on the MODL list. My hubby is one as well and you will have no problem in getting the 175 visa, if you have enough points. Only thing is to get the skills assessment. We had to do it through TRA, but I believe it has changed.

I would work through this http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...n/175/index.htm and see if you qualify with points and then start with your skills assessment.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone maybe tell me how many months/weeks between lodging an ONLINE 175 and the request to submit your police clearance and medical documents?

And do they always get asked for together? Or do they sometimes ask for the police clearance only and then a couple of weeks later for the medicals?

Hi MMF

Have you seen any change on your document list from "Required" to "met"? Mine doesn't have any movement yet after we forwarded them the value statement mid April.

Regards,

Retha

No, No change at all. they recieved our value statement on 7 April and on documnet it still says required 2 April 08. But next to all other docs it states recieved. I am going to check again tomorrow morning.

1. What number do use for the IELTS test reference number with the online application? Is it your "candidate number" or is it your "test report form number"

2. With the competent or proficient, do you use average score or the minimum score across the different bands. (my average is 8 but scored 6.5 in one band)

Thanx

Pieter

Hi All,

One question:

Does the secondary applicant on the 175 have to have a degree or diploma and therefore have to go through the skill assesment and be on the SOL list?

Thanks

Hi All,

One question:

Does the secondary applicant on the 175 have to have a degree or diploma and therefore have to go through the skill assesment and be on the SOL list?

Thanks

Only if you want/need the extra 5 points to qualify:

Partner Skills - 05 POINTS

Your spouse or interdependent partner must also satisfy the basic requirements of age, English language ability, nominated occupation and recent work experience and obtained a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for his/her nominated occupation.

You cannot claim these points if your spouse or interdependent partner is an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or eligible New Zealand Citizen.

Edited by Legacy

Hi,

Has anyone been able to claim 10 points for "specific work experience" when the "nominated occupation" is a 50 point occupation? My wife was assessed in a 50 point occupation but has experience similar to that of a 60 point occupation. When trying to complete the online application we end up ay 115 points because we only get 5 out of 10 for "specific work experience". I got the GENERIC info below from DIAC when I explained the situation to them. Should I complete the online application and hope that they will add the 5 points when considering our application? What must I do? This is frustrating, please help?

"SKILLED WORK EXPERIENCE IN AN OCCUPATION OTHER THAN THE NOMINATED

Work experience requirements for General Skilled Migration specify that

you must be able to demonstrate skilled work experience.

To meet the General Skilled Migration threshold requirements and be

awarded 5 points, you may count any periods of skilled work experience,

regardless of whether or not it was in your nominated skilled occupation.

However if on the General Skilled Migration points test you are claiming:

* 10 points for specific work experience;

* 10 points for Australian work experience; or

* 15 or 20 points for work experience in an occupation on the Migration

Occupations in Demand List (MODL);

you must have worked in your nominated occupation, or a closely related

occupation, for the relevant period."

Just a question... I saw the visa fees ($1,280 ?I think). I guess that is per adult. What are the fees per kid (4yr &5yr). Maybe I am mis-reading it. :thumbdown:

Thanks!

Just a question... I saw the visa fees ($1,280 ?I think). I guess that is per adult. What are the fees per kid (4yr &5yr). Maybe I am mis-reading it. :blush:

Thanks!

That is for the entire application. I THINK that one may have to pay another 2nd installment if your other half (or any other dependent over the age of 18) did not pass the IELTS exam with a score of 6.5 or above.

Edited by Legacy

English requirements for secondary applicants

Secondary applicants, aged 18 years or over, who are included in your application must provide evidence of their current level of English.

Secondary applicants who have been assessed as not having functional English will be required to pay a second instalment visa application charge.

Functional You must provide one of the following:

your IELTS TRF Number to show you have a band score of at least four and a half (4.5) based on all four components.

evidence that you have a degree, diploma or trade qualification requiring at least two (2) years of full time study or training with all instruction conducted in English

evidence that you have completed at least one (1) year of full time study in Australia towards a degree or diploma qualification with all instruction conducted in English

evidence that you have completed:

your primary education and at least three (3) years of secondary education

or

at least five (5) years of secondary education

at an educational institution where all instruction was conducted in English.

• 2 weeks later...
1. What number do use for the IELTS test reference number with the online application? Is it your "candidate number" or is it your "test report form number"

2. With the competent or proficient, do you use average score or the minimum score across the different bands. (my average is 8 but scored 6.5 in one band)

Thanx

Pieter

Hi Overberger,

For a 175 visa you have to be a proficient user and have to have a 7 for each of the 4 areas respectively, else you will be rejected. We had to rewrite the test as we did not make a 7 for each area either. While you still have time and the delay on DIAC side, you still have time to rebook and rewrite. Just remember if you have applied and they get to your application before you have received your results they could reject your application.

"If you lodge your General Skilled Migration visa application without your

IELTS test results, and subsequently fail to achieve the required results

on your IELTS test, the decision maker assessing your application need

only allow you that one opportunity (one examination) to demonstrate that

you meet the required level of English language ability. Research

indicates that scores are unlikely to improve dramatically without

extensive English language tuition in the interim."

Their last statement is not exactly true!

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but that was our interpretation of what is stated under the IELTS docs on the immigration website.

Hi All 175 experts!

I am curious, if we have applied for a 175, and receive a job offer in the interim (the company cannot sponsor), will this help speed up the application in any way?

Does anyone have this sort of experience that they can share?

Yes please... I would like to know the answer to Kerry- Lea's question too.

As far as I know, it will not help a bit. Sorry.

Hi all 175 online applicants

Can anyone tell me if they were asked to complete the form 80 (character assessment)?

If I look at the form, most of the questions were asked during the online application, but some of the other guys have said they submitted it.

I dont want to submit if not necessary as I've used up nearly all of my files, but I dont want to leave it off the list if its going to mean a delay when we FINALLY get a CO.

Can anyone give me thier experiences with the Form 80???

Hi all 175 online applicants

Can anyone tell me if they were asked to complete the form 80 (character assessment)?

If I look at the form, most of the questions were asked during the online application, but some of the other guys have said they submitted it.

I dont want to submit if not necessary as I've used up nearly all of my files, but I dont want to leave it off the list if its going to mean a delay when we FINALLY get a CO.

Can anyone give me thier experiences with the Form 80???

Is there a limit to the number of files you can attach?

Let me answer my own question:

Maximum number of files

Maximum size each file

1000 KB

Photos

500 KB

He He - that is correct - there is a limit!

We have used up so many of ours as hubby's birth was registered in UK & SA so we have loads of birth certificates, passports etc and have uploaded EVERYTHING.

I dont want to do a form 80 if its not necssary?

Edited by Kerry-Lea

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I find this thread absolutely fascinating!

Do you think with the online application facility it still makes sense to use an agent? To me it does not seem to make sense. What are your expert opinion.

Thanks!

If your application is complicated it may help to use and agent as they may be able to assist with the finer details. Remember, though, the onus is still on you to do all the running around and gathering of paperwork which to us was the hardest part of the application (this is now forgotten as the current hardest part is the waiting!!).

Start gathering your documentation together and go from there. It is really quite easy - you just need to check everything carefully.

All the best whatever your decision............

Hey Dud

We DIY'ed it and it was easy as pie - but nothing complicated or dodgy about our application.

As the B's said - there is LOADS of grunt-work to be done beforehand - getting your skill recognised can take some time, as does waiting on Home Affiars for any docs you dont yet have from them.

Read throught the forum and the "100 Steps" - its a load of work (which you have to do regardless of whether or not you have an agent) and thereafter you will know whetehr you are confident enought to proceed on your own.