175 online - questions and answers

StefB

Hi all,

I applied for our 175 online the 2nd September. Everything went smoothly. I also attached scanned copies of the following documents:

Birth certificates for everyone

Copy of page of passport containing personal details

Evidence of IELTS test

Evidence of wifes qualifications (degree)

Evidence of my own qualifications (degree)

Evidence of my skills assessment

Evidence of my work experience

Our Marriage certificate

Passport photos of everyone

After applying I got an automated email saying that my application has been received and that I should give them the following documents within 28 days. All of the above mentioned documents where asked just as I expected. The weird thing is they also listed the following ones:

Form 160EH - Radiologist report on chest x-ray

Form 26EH - Medical examination for an Australian visa

Character assessment

I was always under the impression one had to wait with these until instructed by your CO to get them. I did a bit of research and found that they say on the 175 document checklist the following:

"Health (do not undertake until requested to do so)" and "Character (do not apply for police clearances until requested to do so)"

I also found it on their website:

"When do I visit a panel doctor?

You should not have your visa medical examination until you have been formally requested to do so by the office processing your visa application."

I then went and posted the question on their website as a post-application question. I received a reference number and everything stating that someone will look at my question soon. It has now been almost two weeks and have not heard anything from them.

What to do? Listen to the automated email or follow my gut and wait for someone to contact me and ask for these?

Ideas please...

Stef

Hi Stef

Could u assist me with helping answer the questions attached from your experience please?

We've applied for a state sponsorship visa...

Regards

Shev

QUESTIONNAIRE___SPONSORSHIP_WA.doc

QUESTIONNAIRE___SPONSORSHIP_WA.doc

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody

I haven't been on the forum for so long - simply because we have been waiting years for our visa's to be approved and you reach a point when you decide that you have to get on with your life......otherwise the whole possibility of emigrating consumes your whole life and you end up spending hours on SA Australia :) I'm sure most of you know the drill.

Anyway, the CO has finally asked for our medicals which we did on the 1st of November and now we are waiting again (175 skilled). I'm just busy wondering when we are going to manage to do our LSD/activation trip. My question to you guys is: how long do you normally get to activate your visa? Is it really only 4 months?

Thanks!

Hi there, you do not have to stress about your activation, you will have 1 year from the date your medicals are finalized in by DIAC.

Hi there, you do not have to stress about your activation, you will have 1 year from the date your medicals are finalized in by DIAC.

Thanks for the reply Jitterbug!

Yup - you have quite a long time to activate the visa.

This thread is like ancient history to me now - almost a year ago now! Feels crazy that we got our visa *this* year and not centuries ago (feels like that LOL) :ilikeit:

• 5 months later...

Hi

I have one question regarding the 175 visa.

I will be starting my Visa soon and was looking at the costs:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm

1st installment = $2575

2nd installment = $3575

but just before that it says:

The 1st instalment of the Visa Application Charge must be paid at the time of application.

The 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge for dependents aged 18 years or over with less than functional English must be paid before the visa is granted.

My wife will be specified as partner on my visa .. we both speak, read and write English well - does this mean the 2nd installment is not applicable to us?

Thanks in advance for the information.

:)

• 3 months later...

I have got perm. res. and have 2 years of the five left before I MUST leave S.A. But I can't get my house sold in this poor market. I do own a property in Ozz, and will go live in it in Feb, 2012. Then having that permanent address, get my drivers licence, credit cards etc and I already have Banking accounts. Then I intend coming back here for extended holiday periods, in order to sell the house. What do I declare on the forms on entering, and I've heard one must only go in on a single, non return ticket ? Any opinions ?

• 2 weeks later...

Gee raad asb!

Ek wil aansoek doen vir die 175. My beroep as pre-primere onderwyseres is op die lys, maar ek het die afgelope 3 jaar as 'n junior primere onderwyseres gewerk, want ek is daarvoor ook gekwalifiseer. Ek het immigrasie geskakel, maar ek moes die laaste 12 maande van die afgelope 24 maande as 'n pre-primere onderwyseres gewerk het...ek het nou al 20 jaar onderwyservaring, waarvan die helfte in kleuter is....hoe nou gemaak?

Hanti

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Well done on all your progress and making the huge step to leave SA. I have decided to follow suite and am wondering if it would be easier to get an immigration consultant or tackle the application myself? The consultant route is also a R25000 rand exercise and judging from all the mail, it cant be that difficult?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Wendy

Hi Folks

Well done on all your progress and making the huge step to leave SA. I have decided to follow suite and am wondering if it would be easier to get an immigration consultant or tackle the application myself? The consultant route is also a R25000 rand exercise and judging from all the mail, it cant be that difficult?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Wendy

Hi Wendy

I have no doubt that there will be a multitude of differing opinions (each with their own valid personal reasons) about the decision of using / not using an agent.

Many people process their own applications, and do so very successfully, so that is definitely one approach. However, in my personal opinion, if a person can scrape together the agent fees, it is worth every cent.

As you know, this service does not come cheap, and you must obviously only use highly recommended and registered agents etc (some people do not do enough homework in this regard when deciding on which agent to use, and pay the price at a later stage).

You still end up doing plenty of the "work" yourself (gathering the endless list of documentation etc), but by using a reputable agent you get the CORRECT guidance and advice. You know exactly what documentation to start gathering, the order in which things need to happen, you will have a very good idea if the documentation you have is probably going to be acceptable etc etc. You draw on all their years of experience, which is then applied to your own specific situation.

One of the major reasons I believe a reputable agent is worth the cost, is they are much "closer to the DIAC action" , and know much earlier than the layman about upcoming changes in the Immigration process / legislation, (and what the implications of these new changes are) and this is a huge benefit. Good agents are on top of these changes, normal laymen are not.

As recent history shows us, the Australian immigration requirements and processes are changing on a very regular basis. Personally, I did not want to invest (say) 2 years of my (and my families) time (not to mention the non refundable Visa application fees etc) in the whole application process, only to be told that our application has been declined because we missed a deadline or incorrectly submitted a document or did not follow the exact required procedure etc. I think it would be very disheartening and very difficult to start the whole long Visa application process if your first application is rejected on some issue which you probably could have addressed, had you known better.

We used a MARA registered agent and have been very happy with their service. Even though the use of an agent does not assist in getting a Visa finally approved, you know that you have done every aspect about your application by the book, and that, I believe, is your best chance of getting your application approved. I believe every person owes it to themselves to maximise their chances of having their application approved, whatever approach that might mean in their own personal circumstances.

If you decide to rather do your own application, thats also great, just take it one step at a time, and do each step right.

Just thought I would share my own opinion,

Basil

We did it ourselves and all went well.

The questions I would suggest you look at are:

Do you have any medical, criminal, odd problems that might need putting forward in a professional manner (use an agent)

Do you value your time DIY means that you really need to research and check everything yourself to make sure it is correct and that you have ticked all the boxes. It takes time and if you put a value on your time I would imagine that it may be cheaper for a professional to do that for you.

As said often on here if you use an agent make sure they are registered with MARA.

If you DIY you need to keep an eye on things that are happening and changes - major changes will be happening in July next year - it may benefit you to be able to ensure your application is in prior to then?

I would strongly recommend against using an agent. The most difficult part of the application is doing all the legwork - getting unabridged birth certificates, police clearance certificates, documents for your skills assessments, etc - and no agent does that. They'll just direct you on how to do it.

My agent charged me around R 32 000 and didn't do an awful lot. I fired them when I found that my name was spelled wrong on my skills assessment and they didn't bother to let me know or correct it. Absolutely useless.

You have a huge resource in these forums - save yourself some bucks and do it yourself :) You'll learn a lot in the process too!

• 1 month later...

I agree with Dono. We did our 457 ourselves and are about to do the 175. It is no more difficult than following a set of written instructions from your boss. Agents have their place, and to the agents on the forum, no offence guys, but really, an average person can do this with their eyes closed. Every last piece of information you need is on the www.immi.gov.au website, and forums like this one.

Just print the checklist out, and FOLLOW it word for word.

Deadeasy.

• 3 weeks later...

I would strongly recommend against using an agent. The most difficult part of the application is doing all the legwork - getting unabridged birth certificates, police clearance certificates, documents for your skills assessments, etc - and no agent does that. They'll just direct you on how to do it.

My agent charged me around R 32 000 and didn't do an awful lot. I fired them when I found that my name was spelled wrong on my skills assessment and they didn't bother to let me know or correct it. Absolutely useless.

You have a huge resource in these forums - save yourself some bucks and do it yourself :) You'll learn a lot in the process too!

I agree, and it's SOOO easy if you take it step by step... There is a reason you are applying for a 175.. use it