189's lodged July 2015

A big congratulations to you @GranvilleMay15!!!!! Finally some good news on the thread.

How does it feel to finally have it? Enjoy and savour this moment..

Granville, what time did you get the email?

Now that my PCC is loaded, I sleep with m phone close by, check when I hear an email notification....(I am only in week 4)

I finally am starting to understand what you were all experiencing. I tell myself it will come when the time is righ, still starting to formulate the habits. Praying it wont be for tooo long!!!

• Like 1

With the time difference, I have always known that if I don't see anything in the mail when I wake up then I live to wait another day....

• Like 1

Gwyn, and waiting for the next day to come takes forever. TashL hoping you will get a direct grant.

• Like 2

awesome news granville!!!!! so exciting!

chips and Gwynn, our grant mails came through on a Saturday afternoon...!. so you just NEVER know.

• Like 3

It's good to know that they are working 6 days a week :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting forever for the visa grant has reminded me of a story my Management  Accounting lecturer used to love to tell on the topic of Performance Evaluation. And so the story goes about a factory manager who had a problem with rats running around everywhere and needed to get rid of them as they were a nuisance besides eating up stock reserves. So this manager came up with an idea. He got all the factory workers assembled and announced that anyone who brought him a dead rat would be rewarded with a 100 rand for each rat. Within a week, workers had brought a couple of dead rats much to the excitement of the manager. After several weeks, scores of dead rats had been brought to the manager and workers  duly compensated. Sadly though for the manager, the rat problem in the factory had hardly gone away, there still seemed to be as many rats as before if not more.... To cut a long story short, upon further investigation, the manager soon realised that workers were simply bringing dead rats from home and getting a 100 rand for them at work.

The moral of the story is that if you word your workers' objectives carelessly your employees will simply satisfy the requirements as per the wording without benefitting the employer. Performance evaluation should be such that it aligns the objectives of  the employer and its employees by incentivising and rewarding them accordingly.

Now why am i telling this story?? Its because i believe the reason we are all sitting here 90+ days still waiting for our grants is poor performance evaluation of the DIBP. The DIBP is expected to process 75% of applications within 3 months. Now you tell me, if the DIBP was under pressure and needed to meet this evaluation point, which applications would they process first today? The November application or the July application? Suffice to say that they will process the newer application first because they have already  missed out on the 90day threshold on the July application. And this is consistent with what we are seeing isn't  it. Now that they are clearing August applications do yourself a favour and check on Immitracker  which Aug dates they have been doing first in the last week or so - it was the late 20s August dates granted before the mid and early Aug dates...and why is that? Because a week ago, the late 20s dates were within the 90 day threshold whereas early aug lodgers were already 90+ days so tough luck for those dates for now.

In my view, the DIBP should simply be evaluated based on the average ageing of lodged cases at any point in time. This would incentivise them to process the oldest cases first which they dont do currently. The 75% rule was meant to speed up the department's processes but it does so in a sub optimal way - a way that allows for some grants to be granted in 17 days while others wait 117 days causing COs to spend unnecessary time responding to calls and 5000 emails from disgruntled customers and rightly so...

I understand there are many factors that play a part in the application waiting  period but the above surely plays a part.. 

What i will take from this is learning to be patient and having that excitement of knowing that today could be the day but hate that emptiness that comes when you realise today's not the day. Unfortunately for me I've had to cancel an LSD trip for December coz the grant has not come on time...

When all is said and done all we can do is wait, be patient and wait some more.... hope to hear some good news from those  still waiting this week....

• Like 4

You really described all that am feeling right now and more, was telling my husband the same thing too that why rush to new cases and appoint officers when they have 100's of cases waiting,why not finish those cases first? But like you said let's all be patient and see how it goes,but honestly l have ran out patience every morning l wake up with hope which always quickly dies done when clock strikes 8am. Glad to know someone out there is feeling and thinking what am thinking......here is to waiting Gwynn 

Gwynn I think you're right. As in 'dead on'!

I will be holding thumbs and toes in the hopes you get your grants ASAP. 

• Like 1

@SassyninjaI must have missed your announcement of the good news - a big congratulations on your grant! And all the best for your future plans.... 

Any news Shehraan and TinaB, seems most of the people here got there grants.

Nothing as yet Chips. Just checking my mail every morning but every morning seem to get disappointed all over again.

anyone else heard anything as yet?

I know the feeling and having to wait again for the next morning seems forever :angry::unsure:

Sorry TinaB - not that its any consolation but we're planning on March too. Where are you going to?

Ooohh no so have you paid the school fees deposit, hopefully it will come any day now. Have the called your hubby's work again?fingers crossed for u.

Hey guys.. I am relieved to say my fiancee and I received our grants at 4am this morning!!!

I would like to thank everyone on this thread and the forum at large for all the support. I wouldn't have kept sane without the experience of others in this application process to lean on.

One thing I can say is that I wouldn't have got this visa today if I had not given them a call yesterday. I was fortunate to speak to a very friendly person who was willing to listen before dismissing my call with a generic answer. I said to him that I was just following up on my application to ensure all is in order given that it has now exceeded the department's service standards. Then the guy was like yes i understand we may not always meet the 28 day response time although we try not to deviate too much from that timeline then he asked how long since CO requests and when i told him it was in excess of 60 days, he was surprised and told me it should not be that long. That is when he asked for my details, passport number and everything. He looked through the application and noted that there was nothing outstanding or any notes left by CO to warrant any delay. Then he asked me to hold while he audibly typed on his keyboard. After a few moments he let me know that he had escalated my case and would come to the attention of my CO and I thanked him profusely and hung up. Then this morning I woke up to the good news.

So in my view its not only the calling that helped, its having the ammunition for the call i.e. how long you have waited already. If it had only been 35 days I am sure it would have seemed usual for him and he might have just asked me to be patient. So my advice would be dont call too often especially before the suggested timelines are up.

• Like 4