189's lodged July 2015

Just make sure when you submit your  application front load everything all forms and all so that you get a direct grant waiting for a VPO is a nightmare.

Thanks Chips.  Sadly it makes me feel better knowing that there are still others out there waiting like us. 

I think our last document the PCC's, were uploaded towards the end of October so I suppose we're still basically in the "3 month" period.

Hopefully not much longer to wait.

Just FYI, for those not taking all their stuff.  In December we dropped off a few "donations" at a place called the Danville Liggiehuis in Danville Centurion/Pretoria.

They do a huge collection during December for families in the community that have nothing, but they said they will gladly take donations throughout the year.  In fact the guy offered to buy our car when we leave as well :)  So if anyone still has stuff they are trying to get rid of, you can donate there.  They take ANYTHING, but mostly household goods, clothes, and obviously school things and toys for kids. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chips

I've been avoiding the forum for a while because it makes me a bit sad.  Any news on your application?  We're still waiting :(  I contacted the agent the other day again and he assures me that this is "normal". 

How are you keeping sane?

Hi @TinaB am sorry to hear that you haven't received your grant yet, but am sure it's on the way the day will eventually come. Yes we received our grant last week Friday and so relieved the long wait is over. Any day now the email will be in your inbox try and enjoy your last days in SA l know it's not easy.

• Like 2

OH CONGRATS!! At least I know then that they haven't just filed all July applications in "file 13" and moved on.  Flip, I hope you're right and we get ours soon.  I do think our application doesn't fit into the "standard family" box so maybe that's why ours is taking so long.  Taking a minor child from a previous marriage I'm sure requires more stringent checks.  Still ........... doesn't make the time move any faster for us.

• Like 1

Thank you it will come one way or the other, l know how hard it is to wait but remember good things come to those who wait ?

• Like 1

Thank you @Sassyninja wI'll probably leave when kids close schools, howz your lcd trip coming along?

22 minutes ago, GranvilleMay15 said:

O Good!!!!! Well done Chips!!! Finally your patience has paid off......Hang in there TinaB

Thank you @GranvilleMay15 hope you guys are doing great down under. You should give us an update soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi my old friends,

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? Who is over there already?

Our container is getting packed next week and we're flying out on the 12th of April to Brisbane! So we'll be homeless and destitute for 4 weeks, but have a bright shining light at the end of the tunnel.

How is everyone enjoying the roller-coaster? I knew it would be difficult with uprooting everything, but man: knowing and feeling it are two different things!

Well, I wish all of you all the best for your futures and I hope you enjoy every step of the next adventure!

• Like 1

Hi MSL, 

That's awesome, time has flown, it's around the corner now for you. Good luck with the container packing! The roller-coaster has begun but we're are still very excited for the adventure ahead:). We start with the container packing end April and fly out second week of May. 

All the best for the journey :)

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Congrats MSL. Wishing you and everyone else on the forum Everything of the best!!

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments MSL. Also Can't believe how you're joking about being homeless.

We leave first week in May and that's the part that's freaking me out the most. Also clearing the house and applying for jobs and panicking about where we go to, when we land, ALL feels soooooooo overwhelming. 

Its like I've waited for this moment, for what seems like all eternity, and now as its draws near there's so much more to think about.

Ah well as you say we gotta enjoy this every step of the way caus we know there is light at the end of this tunnel.?

Please keep us updated on what happens once you land.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

So we had our container packed 27 Jan and left 30th of Jan for Brisbane.

As we speak we are settling in nicely. My husband was fortunate to get a job on the 1st of Feb. We stayed with friends for a month where after we found the place we are renting now, we also bought a car. Our container arrived on Monday and we are still unpacking. That gives you 7 weeks in total for container. We were very lucky that customs only opened our garden furniture. Unpacking was like opening a lucky packet.

The hardest parts so far:

Brisbane is extremely hot

I'm full term pregnant and still don't know when they want to do my cesarean (high risk pregnancy)

some big furniture items got damaged which held sentimental value to them

Money is very tight, there are a lot of upfront cost that you don't think of or realise till you are here and yes it is expensive in Aus.

We are loving Aus and really made the right decision, but it doesn't make it any easier.  

Good luck to everyone starting that process now. Start it off with being excited for it gets harder first and then it will get easier again as you settle.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Found our grant letters in our inbox!!! Such a relief after such a long wait!!! So glad that it has come through though. We can finally start making plans. 

Hope to to do our LSD trip very soon.

Will keep you posted.

• Like 4

Congratulations @Shehraan awesome news hope the little one is great.

• Like 1

I know you've all been losing sleep over our application, so I thought it best to let you know that we GOT A VISA!! Officially the longest application in the history of the world, but it's here now.

We have to enter by 9 October 2016, so that leaves NO TIME AT ALL to get our asses into gear and get sorted.

I haven't really had time to process it all, but safe to say that we are delighted and the kids are super excited (probably at the prospect of not having to do Afrikaans again - shame they both struggle with that).

Anyway, this morning while enjoying our morning cuddles with the 8 year old, he says "I don't know how to speak Australian" so we say "they speak English there, it's ok" and he says "so I just have to say "Heya mate" :) He's already got this Aussie thing waxed.

I'll be getting my "100 things to do" list out again this evening and start going through it.  Luckily we have been living in limbo for almost two years now, so we have already taken care of quite a few things on the list but I'm sure there is still LOADS to do.

Sadly we were broken into at our home while we slept about 10 days ago, and the bugger stole our booze so we couldn't even celebrate with a Whisky last night.  One less thing to get rid of, I say :)

It feels good to FINALLY be in the same boat and start planning our departure. 

• Like 8

Good is good indeed, it was a long ride :congratulations: @TinaB very happy for you 

Congratulations @TinaB!!

@Chips, little one is doing very well thanks. Leaving this Friday to do our activation trip. Going to Melbourne and Brisbane. As we probably will decide between the 2 places.