NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

22 December 2014: Mr & Mrs Orphan - with a Song on their Lips.......

post-20722-0-36008900-1419224180_thumb.j

• Like 4

:santa::whome::jester: What an awesome Christmas Present.......Merry Christmas Mr & Mrs Orphan....Safe trip and once again THANK YOU for all your information and advice to us all. :santa:Wishing you Everything of the best !!

• Like 1

Welcome to Australia Mr & Mrs Orphan.

KarinWise,

You have asked a very important question. Circumstances for each parent migrating to Aus are different.

Emigration Cost and Investment in Aus

In our case we financed the total migration cost from savings. For nearly 8 years we saved/invested every cent we could. Making use of an financial advisor helped a lot. Proceeds from the sale of the house, pension lumpsum payments and other funds were transferred here and invested. Again we made use of an australian financial advisor to invest our funds. Formal (financial) emigration allows me to have my monthly pension paid into my bank account and the transfer of anuities.

Accommodation

We stayed with one of the children for a bit longer than planned. This was mainly due to the fact that we were waiting for the right rental - price, house type and area. We are renting because we do not want to sink our investment into property. The investment will be used to supplement South African pension payments - for as long as that continue.

Employment

At 60+ you are lucky if you can find work in your area of expertise. There are many Information Architects in Perth, that are younger than you, applying for jobs!

It took me just over a year to find employment. The work I do is completely different to what I did in South Africa. I pick up and deliver parts for a company. It pays good money. I plan to continue with this job for another 12 months and then call it a day. After working more than 40 years the body is a bit tired.

I found the job through a contact. Often it is who you know that gives the break, so building up a network helps.

Other Factors

Close to children and grand children - priceless

• Like 1

One thing I forgot, is the investment golden rule - for parents

" The money (investments?) must be finished/depleted one day after you blew out your last breath"

How wonderful for you Mr & Mrs Orphan, children and grandkids... Don't you love it when a plan comes together? May the Lord Bless you greatly in your new adventure in Australia!

• Like 1

My application update:-

Today i recieved the aos acceptance letter (after 12 days) and it will be sent to parent immi tomorrow morning.This was the last document which was pending for my visa process.

Does anyone knows how many days does it takes to finalize the visa?

regards,

Richard.

Edited by Niamatbir

Hi Rich,

Once your AOS letter reaches the Visa Centre, it should only take only a day or two before you receive a request to pay in the second VAC.

Thereafter it all depends on where your VAC money is coming from. If you raise a bank guaranteed cheque against a local Australian bank, it will only take two days after your cheque reaches the Visa Centre for the visa to be issued. However, if your raise a cheque against your bank in England, you will have to wait 28 days for your cheque to clear, before the visa is issued.

Also, don't forget that Thursday is a holiday here, and there will only be a skeleton staff on duty on Friday. So it could take a day or two longer than I have projected.

• Like 1

aye aye captain! i dont mind if it takes few more days. This visa has taught me enough patience. lol

Orphan, perhaps your name should now change to Adopted?

• Like 1

Yes Mara...that would certainly be appropriate now!

We are however more "recognisable" to other forumites under this name, and hope to meet some of them soon. So, better to hang on to it.

No problem, I just could not resist!

Orphan look at what is written above your picture!

• Like 1

# 12 - SETTLING IN

We have now been in Australia for 8 days, and I cannot begin to tell all of you in the Waiting Room just how great this country is! Granted we arrived just before Christmas, and the past week the whole place has been in party-mode, but words cannot describe just how different things are here. Mrs Orphan and I feel truly liberated! And for those reading this who may still harbour some doubts whether you are doing the right thing - DONT! I absolutely guarantee you wont have any regrets coming here.

That being said, here are some pointers about what to do when you first get here.

1. Open a Bank Account

This was a very quick and painless exercise We went to the Commonwealth Bank, who pride themselves on eliminating the sort of bureaucratic red tape we are so used to in RSA. We were expecting to have to provide "100 points" of Identification, and although we took along everything we could think of (Visa Letter, Passport, Identity Book, old Credit Card, Letter from ABSA Bank, SA Drivers License, and my son's Utility Bill) all they wanted to see were our passports. (No need to FICA here!) It took us all of 30 minutes to open a joint "daily" (current) account, a savings account, and get on internet banking. Actually that part took about fifteen minutes, and we spent the rest of the time talking to the bank lady about her own parents who are in the throes of emigrating. And the Bank didn't need any money to open the account - "Just put some money in when you have it" was the response. We get our bank cards in four working days; but what was really useful was that the bank gave us a letter attesting to the new accounts, and reflecting my son's residential address, which we used for opening our new Mobile Phone and Data contract. Also, being a new client, we got all sorts of great deals, like an EXTRA 1.5% Interest for the first three months on our savings account.

2. Register with Medicare

The second thing we did was register our arrival with Medicare. First we collected an application form from Medicare, which we filled in while having breakfast in the Shopping Centre. But this same form can be downloaded directly off the internet. On returning to Medicare, which looks more like a upmarket Doctors waiting room, the "concierge" met us at the door and showed us to a comfy settee in the reception area; took our names down on a Galaxy tablet, and apologised profusely for the "10 minute wait" Exactly on time, we were ushered to a booth, and efficiently dealt with by a very friendly lady. All she asked for were our passports and a copy of our 143 Visa Letter. It took her about ten minutes to punch our details into the computer, before we were presented with temporary Medicare Cards, "in case anything should happen in the seven working days it will take before your permanent cards arrive". And that was it! A very far cry from any government department in RSA!

Next on our list is to convert our driver's licenses, and find somewhere to stay......But more about this later

Edited by Orphan

Hi Orphan,

Add following to your list:

Convert Drivers Licence (how lucky you are, we had to do theory and practical tests in 2012)

Register with ATO

Apply for Seniors Card

Can anyone please give advice. I am helping with a parent visa. But the parents are divorced but both want to come to OZ.

the mother still looks after the child who is older than 18 he is cable to work but needs assistance as he had a operation many years ago on the brain.

If anyone can please give advice as to whether or not the parents can be done on one visa or must it be 2 separate applications.

Thanks

Hope for your sake I'm wrong but it sounds like two applications to me. Also adult child with brain injury could be problematic. Perhaps contact Stephen or Tee who are migration agents and can give your more of an idea.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/user/12753-sd-moa/
http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/user/17492-teetmi/

Hi BruceMK,

In answer to your questions, it is my understanding that:

1. If your parents are divorced, they will each need to apply separately

2. A "dependent" child over 18 can be included in the visa application; however, the extent to which he is deemed "dependent" is determined by the following criteria:

(i) He is "wholly or substantially reliant" on your mother for his basic needs (food, clothing and shelter) I.E. He usually lives with his mother, is more reliant on her for support than on any other person or source, and has relied on her for at least the 12 months immediately before the visa application is lodged

(ii) His mental disability stops him from earning a living to support himself.

(iii) He must still need to meet Australia’s health requirement.

(iv) He is NOT considered to be dependent if he is currently married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship.

You can read more about this at http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx and there is a comprehensive parent visa brochure you can download from the immi.gov website

Edited by Orphan
  • Like 2

I've just looked up that booklet and brain injury is going to be a problem.

However, the most common diseases to result in a failure to meet the health requirement for a permanent visa include:

• intellectual impairment

• HIV infection

• renal disease or failure

• cancer

• Alzheimer's/dementia.

Best to get an initial consultation from one of the migration agents. As far as I know it doesn't cost anything for the first consult.

• Like 1

Hey guys!

It has been 6 working days and i still havent got any response from PVC.

I thought after submitting the aos acceptance letter, i would recieve the request of 2vac payment on the very next working day.

The wait is getting frustrating everyday and im not sure how long pvc is gonna take fo finalize my case. :/

NOTE: Applicants who are about to get their CO in a month(approx.), please complete your AOS Process if you dont wanna get seemingly endless delay to your visa process.

Processing time for an AOS is +4weeks.

Good Luck (wish me luck as well)

Rich

Hi Rich,

It is likely that your whole visa process has been held up by all the public holidays

But if you are concerned, here is the telephone number of the Manager of the Parent Visa department in Perth:

Give her a call; she is very approachable.

Edited by Jordy
it is illegal to publish names of case officers
  • Like 1

Also getting extremely anxious, our 18months was mid Dec 2014. Was hoping they would open their offices Monday 5th Jan and hear something from our CO. We counting days ........delays clearly due to Christmas/New Year shut down. :angry2:

• Like 1

#13 - EXCHANGING YOUR SA DRIVER'S LICENCE

I have just exchanged my SA Driver's license for an Australian one, and the process is simple. quick and stress-free.......

The steps shown below are for Queensland State, but I would imagine that it won't be much different in other parts of the country.

(I) Note that you can legitimately drive using your SA Licence for 3 months. (Some forumites have recommended that you do so in order to familiarise yourself with the rules of the road without fear of having points docked.)

(ii) Download and complete a Form 3000 from the Department of Transport website

(iii) Go into your nearest Department of Transport Service Centre, and present this form together with your old SA Driver's Licence, and sufficient evidence of your identity. In terms of such evidence, you will need the following:

- Passport

- Two different SA (or Oz) bank cards which have your name printed. (They are very strict about this and wont accept things like letters from your bank; it seems that it MUST be an official bank plastic card of some sort. So hang onto your credit cards, and don't let your bank cut them up when you close your SA accounts!)

- Proof of Residence (I showed them my first Mobile phone statement)

- Cash or Debit/Credit card. (There is an annual licence fee, and you can select to pay from one year ($68.80) up to five years ($154).

- Combed hair (they take a photo of you!)

Once again, the whole process was very slick and friendly - it only took us about 30 minutes, despite quite a few people ahead of us in the queue.

More importantly - no tests needed!

• Like 1

Your boat licence and your driver' licence are the same card. So if you are planning to get a boat licence, do it before you get your drivers licence, otherwise you will end up paying twice.

• Like 1

Hi all, I am new to this thread and have been living in Australia for nearly 3 years now doing all the research w.r.t doing a parental visa application. My Dad was here for his first visit in April/May 2014 and fell in love with Brisbane and whats not to love....

First of all, Orphan congratulations and welcome to Australia. Thank you so much for your detailed, yet simple explanations and advice to everyone out there. I am so pleased to have come across your posts.

I have 'thousands' of questions having recently completed our visa applications, having come over on a work visa and transitioned to a skilled visa, so as of November 2014 we have permanent residency and in just over a year will be able to apply for citizenship. So having applied for two visas in two years, its quite daunting facing this application which is far more complicated than ours.

I am going to start with two burning questions:

VAC and AOS payments

I have trawled through this thread and would like to confirm my understanding of the payments to be as follows:

1. VAC Payment 1 is basically the initial visa application fee, where immigration probably verify core information, request medicals and police clearance before proceeding?

2. VAC Payment 2: now this may be me living in my ideal world, but by being asked to pay VAC Payment 2 and the AOS Bond is the last step, in principle you will be granted residency once this payment has cleared

Is this correct?

Medicals

My Mom has type 2 diabetes, managed with basic daily medication and no other complications, does anyone know if this is an issue?

TIA

Hello "TheHoffs"

Welcome to our 147 Parent Visa site. On behalf of all the parents & grandparent, I sincerely hope that your visa application is successful - its worth the effort!

Firstly, let me say that the process is not that onerous, and certainly not as complicated as getting the 457 visa. From what you say, you now have good experience in dealing with Australian Immigration, and provided you follow their guidelines to the letter, you will be able to complete all the requirements on your own, without problems, and without the need of an immigration agent.

You will find a lot of the information you need to get started already in this thread; so download the various brochures and forms, and you will soon be on your way. And if you get stuck, there are many forumites here who will be happy to help.

To answer your questions:

1. The VAC1 payment is exactly as you have described it - a non-refundable application fee for purposes of receiving and lodging your Form 47PA (Permanent) or Form 47PT (Temporary) Visa Application. This payment will be deducted off your credit card by the Parent Visa Centre approximately 2-4 weeks* after you submit your application, following which you will receive your application acknowledgement letter about 2-4 weeks* later. (*Note: response times from the authorities may vary according to the volume of applications received)

2. The AoS Bond payment is a separate process to the VAC 1 & 2 payments. This refundable, interest-bearing payment goes into a special frozen bond account at the Commonwealth Bank, who holds these funds for 10 years after the parent visa is activated. The bank will only open the bond account when it receives written instructions from Centrelink (note - not the Parent Visa Centre). This only happens once Centrelink has completed the sponsorship process with your parents' designated sponsor (presumably you). I recommend you start this process as soon as you are permitted to (i.e. one year after your parent visa lodgement date) because of the potential issues and delay. You could however wait until the end of the application process if finances are an issue.

3. The VAC2 payment comes right at the very end of the entire visa process, once everything has been approved by the Parent Visa Centre in Perth. Normally you will receive the visa(s) a day or two after this payment via a bank guaranteed cheque has cleared. This non-refundable payment makes up the bulk of the visa cost, and as it usually increases on an annual basis, the sooner you submit your application, the better, as this "fixes" the amount you will have to pay.

4. On the question of your Mom's diabetes, I do not believe that this will be an issue at all. Type-2 Diabetes - also known as Adult-onset diabetes - is very common among the elderly, and does not pose any risk to Australia; nor is it costly to control, which are their two main concerns. I am aware of another parent with type-2 diabetes who was granted a visa.

So, if that answers three of your "thousand" questions, keep sending the rest, and perhaps we can make your journey easier!

• Like 2

• Mara pinned this topic