NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

hey orphan

Just wanna let you know, that today it has been exact 18 months and one week from the date of lodgement ( april 12, 2013 ) and i still havent recieved any mail from DIAC.I hope COs pick up their pace before the official processing time turns out 19 months :(

rich

Hi Orphan and others, I'd just like to thank you all for the wealth of information in this thread.

My wife and I are just finishing off our application for 143 Visa (my second child and her husband have just settled in Aus after getting their PR Visa in July). My oldest son, his wife and our 2 grand children are citizens already.

We are off to visit them in December for almost a month and were going to apply onshore for the Contributary Parent Visa(143), but found out just in time that it is more meant for immigrants who already have a Temporary Contributary Parent Visa(173).

We (and my kids) are super exited that the ball is eventually starting to roll.

There are still some high mountains to cross in the next 18 months or so, like getting rid of 40years of accumulated stuff, some properties and our house. Also lots of financial decisions to be made.

I'll be popping in every now and then to see how you guys are progressing and share the excitement with you. Thanks again !

• Like 1

Hello Dirkz!

A very warm welcome to both of you to this great website.

I am sure that you will have many hours of enjoyment trawling through the multitude of interesting posts present, and will find your waiting period a lot less tiresome as a result. And even though you do already have a support structure in Australia, there are many useful titbits on offer here which will ease your transition into that country.

Please feel free to post your own experiences and ask questions, as there are many contributors who have already gone before you and are most willing to provide assistance. Moreover, as people like us reach the end of our journey, we shall be looking to people like you to take up the baton and keep this CPV conversation going. There don't seem to be that many of us ol' fogies making the move, so we all need to stick together!

Here's wishing you guys everything of the very best for the months ahead.

Hi Orphan and others, is there anyone that went over before their CPV was granted ?

With the issuing of lenient tourist visas lately, we were thinking of going over on our tourist visa a few months before getting a CO.

Our Tourist Visa (received a week ago) is valid until 2022 with 12 months stay duration.

We were thinking of rounding up everything by the end of next year, store our stuff with the shipping agency (like Orhan has done), and go and "visit" our kids for a few months until our CPV is granted.

Obviously we'll have our PCC and Medicals done before we go (about 4 months before expecting to get a CO).

Once we receive the Visa, we'll hop out of the country (Aus) and return to activate the CPV.

Can anyone advise us on the pros and cons of such a move ?

Edited by Dirkz

Hi Dirkz,

It is my understanding in respect of an off-shore visa application, that you must be out of the country when your visa is issued; but that there is no restriction preventing you from visiting the country on a tourist visa prior to then.

I think the problem arises if you mess up the timing and are still in Australia when the visa is issued. But I have read somewhere about someone who circumvented this by informing their CO that they were still in Australia, resulting in the visa being delayed, and allowing them time to quickly pop across to New Zealand.

The only other issue I can see is having access to documents requested by the CO, which may be sitting in South Africa while you are overseas.

And now I am going to go out on a limb and tell you about people we know who got their visa via the "onshore" application route. Why I hesitate slightly is because although I know of their experience, I don't know whether this was an exception, or something anyone can do.

Our friends submitted an off-shore 143 Visa application from South Africa in early 2010. Later that same year, they put in a second off-shore visa application after realising that their daughter hadn't been living in Australia long enough at the time of the first application. Then they went to Australia as tourists to visit their daughter, While there, they received a call from someone at the Parent Visa centre querying why they had submitted two applications. But when this woman from the Centre heard that they were actually in Australia, she suggested they submit a letter to the Visa Centre, changing their application to an "on-shore" application, as this would, according to her, take only "3-6 months". They wrote the letter, got a bridging visa to allow them to remain in Australia, and were issued their Parent visa six months later.

I reiterate that this all took place at the end of 2010, and so the delay will probably be different today. However, if you intend to go and visit your children in Australia, and have the means to stay on there for a lengthy period (perhaps up to one year), perhaps it is worth investigating this option before submitting your off-shore application?

Thanks for the reply, Orphan.

Because I made the slip up of saying that I'm retired on my tourist visa application form, I got a "No further stay" clause.
On page 2 of the Parent Visa Application (47PA) under Legal Restrictions it stipulates that one can not apply onshore for any Parent Visa if you have a No Further Stay on a visa.
That's what changed our mind from applying onshore December when we'll be there for a few weeks.

It sounds quite feasible then according to what you mentioned on the personal contact with one's CO, that one might be able to time the issueing of the visa and therefore just slip out of the country for a week or two. We do have good friends in Auckland

You are correct Dirkz, in that if the 8503 (No further stay) condition has been imposed on your visitor's visa, you cannot apply for further visas while you are in Australia, which includes not being able to send an application from Australia to the Parent Visa processing centre in Perth.

So it looks like your "duck-and-dive" idea is all you have left.

If you are going to take this route, won't you keep us in this forum informed on the outcome? I am sure there are many who would be very interested in hearing how it turns out.

Edited by Orphan
  • Like 1

A lot of water still has to flow into the sea before we get to that final stage, but we'll be checking on the forum from time to time to keep abreast of the latest happenings and report on our progress.

Thanks again for your valuable information. I'm sure a lot of forum members appreciate it. It is a daunting process and most of us are not that young anymore and don't tolerate stress that well either.

So this uprooting oneself and making this big move is not for sissies :)

We learn from others and that makes life a lot easier by preventing making mistakes that could have been avoided.

Well the Visa 143 has been sent off to our son and sponsor. My 2 kids and their spouses are very eager to get the ball rolling.

A question I have for those who are in the waiting room: When does PVC take the money out of your Credit card ? Immediately when they receive the application or can it be anytime between receipt and acknowledgement of receipt which I noticed can take up to 3 months ?

I'm just worried my wife uses the money that's been put into that account in the mean time :angry2:

Hi Dirkz

Your first VAC payment will be deducted off your credit card sometime between lodgement date and acknowledgement date.

My timeline is:

Visa Lodgement Date: 17 May 2013

VAC1 Payment Date: 13 June 2013

Visa Acknowledgment Date 04 July 2013

In your case however it could take slightly longer for everything to be processed. According to my last notification from the Parent Visa Centre, they are now receipting offshore applications lodged on 18 September (about 5 weeks to receipt an application), and have a "6-month backlog of applications waiting for acknowledgement letters".

Suggest you hide the credit cards!

Thank you Orphan ! We'll keep the credit card topped up. Just a bit of waist on interest if the VAC1 lies there a long time....

I take it that the Lodgement Date is as shown on the Application Form, or is it when it arrives at PVC ?

The Lodgement Date is the day your application is officially received at the Parent Visa Centre (probably works on a postal date stamp basis)

This date will be recorded on your Acknowledgement Letter, which you will get from PVC in a few months. Included are instructions on what to do, as well as your official receipt for the first VAC payment.

Your Lodgement Date is the most critical date, as it signifies your place in the Waiting Room!

Cool and thanks ! Will be a few days now before we're in the Waiting Room too.

My son must just fill in his part as sponsor (Form40) and send to PVC

Hi Orphan,

I am so glad there are other people out there on the same boat or the "Waiting Room" I lodged my parents application and received our confirmation on the 3 June 2013 my brother and I have been trying to

keep our parents sane this whole time trying to reassure them that we need to stick to the time lines given so there are no delays at the time the CO has been appointed.

The only thing left for us to do is the Medicals which will be done next week, we have already done the AOS in June 2014 that was quite a scary process a lot of running around to Centrelink getting paperwork

and then they assessed my brother because he is the sponsor becasuse he is a citizen and I am in my 2nd year PR , I have the original police reports here with me in Australia as well as 2nd payment waiting

in my account.

Thank you again for all the effort put into starting this thread I have read every post made and now I can tell my parents they are not alone in this long wait - we are one month behind you so let us know when you

get your CO.

Thanks for your contribution, ShazPaz.

My 2 children and their spouses are also in the Gold Coast.

We have only started our process now and will be following this thread to pick up as many tips as we can.

Wish we were already where your parents and Orphan are :cry:

Hi Shazpas

Good to hear from you!

We certainly know how frustrated your parents must be (perhaps if you linked them to this website they might not feel so isolated?).

There are a number of us in this forum drawing close to our scheduled CO appointment date, and its going to become even more traumatic from that point on as we wait for "the email" to arrive. This will be made even worse by not knowing how long the delay really is. However, we should have our first bit of real information on this score in a few weeks time when "Rich/Niamatbir" posts his CO appointment date.

Thanks guys, I have told my folks to go to the forum and get reading as I did when we went through the process I would have been lost with out SA Australia.

I even met a few people when we did the Coffee club meetings in Durban and all the people I met there are all over Australia now it is so cool.

Dirkz, you will love the Gold Coast it is alot like KZN, just no humidity which is great.

Orphan, where about are your children living?

Children and grandchildren are all living just up the road from you - Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast

• Like 1

PROCESSING UPDATE as at 30 October 2014

According to the latest notification received from the Parent Visa Centre today, the current 143 visa processing date is 09 April 2013.

Based on this, there appears to have been an improvement/reduction in the processing delay of approximately one week, since the start of October month.

Edited by Orphan
  • Like 2

Medicals & PC done and dusted.....Does anyone know how long Centrelink take to contact AOS once she has dropped off the forms and evidence, are they quite efficient. Just wondering ...

Belinda

We shall have an answer for you pretty soon. Our son has just submitted his AOS sponsor documents to Centrelink.

But I have read elsewhere that it depends on where the documents go to, as the respnse delay seems to vary from one Centrelink depot to another.

HI Belinda,

Ours took about 1 month we did it in June 2014 after the tax year they assessed my brothers tax returns and employment then sent a letter accepting him as the AOS sponsor

then we recived the instruction from centrelink to pay over the $ 14 000 into a Commomwealth bank account once all the paperwork was done at the bank they had sent it back to

Centrelink who in turn notified the Parent Visa place I hope.

My parents are going today to do thier medicals so I hope all goes well.

• Mara pinned this topic