VISA Granted... now for the BIG ESCAPE...

GideonVD

Ek voel ONGELOOFLIK opgewonde vir jul part!!!! Sterkte, alles sal goed uitwerk, jul sal sien. Ek bid jul 'n veilige vlug en rustige harte toe.

• Like 1

Well done you've escaped CMax as you call it

Enjoy the flight and good luck with all the things you need to do on landing. Melbourne is currently cool and rainy.

Thanks all. We are safe and sound in Melbourne, no worries :)

Follow the next leg of our adventure on the following thread :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

8 March 2013

This day was long. Started with the packing and stuff. Waited for the planned time for my folks to come pick us up to drop us off at the Gautrain in Hatfield. Got there, loaded money on the cards to OR Tambo, got on and got there in just under and hour. Got to the check-in, did the booking in, went through passport control and then spent some time in the lounge drinking and eating for free. Got on the Airbus A380. Damn, hate flying and sleeping on these long-haul flights.

9 March 2013

Landed in Frankfurt. Waited for the connecting flight to Rome. Still impressed with how things just work in Europe. Got on the flight and landed in Rome a couple of hours later. Collected our baggage and found my suitcase's zip totally ripped. Seems somewhere between JHB and FCO someone had a rummage in my bag. Totally pissed off, but what could I do? Caught our transfer to the hotel and settled in. Figured out nothing got stolen thankfully. Couple of minute later we hit the streets of Rome. Got on the nearest bus towards the historical centre. Public transport works, but for some reason I don't like the busses, they take bloody long to get where you want to go. Walked around and did some shopping and photo snapping. Got back to the hotel via same bus. Tired and need to sleep.

10 March 2013

Up early, didn't sleep too well. Tried to find details of a proper shopping mall in Rome, found some info and directions. Had breakfast and then asked the reception assistant for directions to the nearest underground train. She gave us details for a bus that stopped near one of the stations. Got on and got off at the station. Underground much better than busses, lot faster. Got to the mall and did some shopping. Got back on the metro and went back to the historical centre to walk around some more. Got on the metro going back to the hotel and got off the nearest station... problem... that was about 20 minutes walk away from the hotel.

We walked that long distance, me gaining some nice blisters along the way and cramp in my calf. Met up later with the tour director and the other tour members... the tour now officially started.

One remark... Rome is a dirty city, not as bad as JHB or PTA, but dirty for European standards.

11 to 16 March 2013

The tour took us all through Rome, Venice, Pisa, Florence and Sienna. I loved Venice the most. Beautiful place. Even found a replacement suitcase. Had lots of fun and made a lot of new friends from the US and Australia. The Ozzy couple we met lived in Melbourne for 20 years and gave us some good tips. Will really miss them :) One thing though... our credit cards hated us by the end of it.

17 to 18 March

Reluctantly returned to airport via the tour bus. Got on the flight back to Frankfurt and had a 5 hour wait for our connecting flight to JHB. We were dead tired. Finally landed in JHB and got on the Gautrain to Hatfield. My folks got us there and took us home. Ate lunch and sorted out a couple of other things. My wife took a snooze, I didn't... wanted to catch up on some stuff.

Later the afternoon my wife realises with a start that there are people (2) in our back yard. I confront them and they say their from Telkom just connecting a new line to the box that's situated in the corner of our property. I asked them where the hell they got over and they showed me the neighbour's wall where 4 of their buddies there just grinning at me. I asked them who gave them permission to enter the property and they just shrugged and said they couldn't get a hold of us. I told them that's no excuse, and that they where tresspassing. I took their details and tried to contact their foreman... no use... just voicemail. Looked up Telkom's Crime Line and phoned to lay a complaint. Gave all the details and got a reference number. I don't think anything is going to come from it. Typical South Africa... do as you like :(

Later after chasing them off over the wall, and after calming my nerves with a glass of whiskey, I managed to sort out the deposit and booking of our 4 week temporary housing in Melbourne, Richmond. So at least we have a place to stay while we get our bearings.

PS: Also received notification the registration for the townhouse went through and the attorneys will be paying out tomorrow :) Happy Days :)

Hey Gideon,

Great feed thank you for sharing! Just wanted to find out how you managed to secure temporary housing in SA before going over? We are now in the same boat of trying to secure accommodation here before our flights to Sydney on 8 Jan and would love to find out whether there is any way that we can secure on this side?

We looked up furnished rentals and found Australia Home Away. Try them out, they might be able to assist.

• Like 1

We looked up furnished rentals and found Australia Home Away. Try them out, they might be able to assist.

Thank u GideonVD, will try them out!

How you settling in and enjoying Aus?

It's coming along slowly, but so far no regrets. :)

• Like 2