VISA Granted... now for the BIG ESCAPE...

GideonVD

Update: Seems CashKows and Exchange4Free don't do transfers for amounts below R30000. So now have to do it via the bank... o joy... this is gonna cost a bit more than I wanted to :(

Update: Seems CashKows and Exchange4Free don't do transfers for amounts below R30000. So now have to do it via the bank... o joy... this is gonna cost a bit more than I wanted to :(

I'm almost sure the guy at Exchange4Free told us that if we had to send a sum below R30000.00 we would just have to pay the full bank fee of R375.00. I didn't pay much attention to this as we already had an idea of when and how much cash would be in our account during this "liquidation" phase, maybe ask them if it's still possible...

Mailed them directly and they responded with the "Sorry, no transfers for amounts below R30000". :(

O well, guess I will not use Exchange4Free in the future...

• Like 1

7 May 2013

Finally went to ABSA in Menlyn to try and organise a transfer for my initial R10000. Got there, they helped me quite fast and nicely. The fee wasn't too bad either, only about R260. Well, at least I have the first $1,049 in our Australian bank account ;):D

Now to just wait for the beginning of June to cash in my two policies and my PPS funds and then have that transferred ASAP at the best possible rate/moment. :D

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 1

Congrats on your first transfer - at least the money that you've sent across is not losing value daily. Just check your account carefully for tax deductions - we found that we were being taxed (direct deduction from tax office) at an abnormal rate and it had to do with some info that was loaded incorrectly. We managed to sort it out, but not get the money back. Was told that we could eventually 'claim' it back when we submit our taxes.

Thanks, we've done all the necessary things but I will keep an eye on the account :)

13 May 2013

I must say, I love the level of personal attention we've received from our Migrant bankers at CommBank. :) I forwarded an enquiry about taxation of interest on accounts while we not yet in Australia. Brigitte, from CommBank, explained that as "non-residents" at this stage there is only the standard 10% taxation of interest only, the 46+% that some mention is for "residents" that have not provided "tax numbers or ATN's" to their branches. Her recommendation was just to get our ATN's as soon as we could and before presenting ourselves to our branch to finalise the account.

On another note, my Brother-In-Law left for England yesterday on a 1 week work session, basically preparing everything for him and his wife to settle there in the beginning of next year. His company has planned to transfer him there. My wife's a little jealous as she wanted to move to the UK first, but there wasn't any options available to us to go there. My wife wants to live in Europe, but I'm not so convinced on that idea, especially at these troubled times in the European economy. I really wish him all the best with their plans in the UK.

Yeah, my first choice would also have been Europe, but it's too hard to get into. My choices would be Ireland, UK, Germany or the Netherlands, (the USA is in there somewhere too) but it's really hard getting into them and then citizenship takes forever to get. I'm sure we will make Australia work though, and maybe after Australia, we might decide to give Europe a try, where when i get deported it's not back to RSA but to Aus :whome:

I'm sure Aus is going to be awesome though ;)

• Like 1

Agreed, we can only hope for the best :)

14 May 2013

Trying to sell the house is going very slowly. We decided today to drop the price slightly. Hope this sparks some renewed interest. I really would prefer to sell the place before we leave. -_-

Edited by GideonVD

16 May 2013

Applied for a job on Seek that nearly matches what I'm currently doing, in Melbourne. Nearly took me 2 hours to fill in all the online forms and upload all the documents. Here's keeping fingers crossed :)

Hey Gideon,

Id like to add my 2 cents worth regarding your initial preference for Europe over Aus.

It all obviously boils down to various personal likes and preferences. There is a lot of good to be said for Europe, and I can understand how many people would like to live here. But as is with many things in life, there are two sides to every story.

Weve been living in Belgium for about 11 years now and here are some of the things which really get to me.

It feels extremely crowded 5 large cities within an 80km radius, towns, houses, farms and industries everywhere. Major world cities within a couple of hundred kilometres. Im not a city person. To us it feels like we can never really get away from it all. Hard to go lose yourself in nature here.

So many people and so little space, every little inch has been allocated.

The climate we end up spending so much time indoors, even during summer. It frustrates me to see my boys get cabin fever just because they have been cooped up inside for weeks in summer.

Summers can be short & unpredictable. If you really want sunshine you have to drive or fly 1000km further south to join everyone else doing the same.

Weve braaied in December at -6°C out of desperation, it was a thrill, but would rather do it at 20°C

Insane rat race keeping up with the Jonses x10;. If you dont have a company car, youre a looser well here at least.

A social system which opens its doors to the rest of eastern Europe & the world, giving everyone rights (= money & free housing), but neglects its own citizens & economic well being hence some of the economic woes.

A 52% tax rate.

Jeez, what a rant. Probably went too far but had to get it out.

Why I think Aus is a brilliant choice..

Cities & lots of nature something for everyone.

Sunny outdoors lifestyle!

Lots of coastline!

Places where you can see the stars!!!!!!

Lots of likeminded people.

Ample opportunity to braai year round.

Better long term job prospects than in Europe.

So thats my 2 cents worth, if youd like the other 98 cents, well have to have to do it over a couple of beers in August (VBs)!

Regards,

John

Edited by jcl

Thanks for the input jcl. :)

19 May 2013

Today was a very sad day for us. We gave our Jack Russel to an Aunt of mine who currently has another Jack Russel who is "lonely". We are seriously going to miss her as she was one of the first couple of dogs we had as a couple together.

I truly hope she does well... and believe she's found a good place to live the rest of her life. :cry:

• Like 1

aaaahhhhh :( We're giving our cat to MIL - hasn't hit us yet as we have 2 weeks tomorrow before we leave and we're just frantically trying to pack and all that.

I think I'll be wearing dark glasses for a week with all the goodbyes on various days to be said

Indeed, these last months are going to be a bad one emotionally.

aaaahhhhh :( We're giving our cat to MIL - hasn't hit us yet as we have 2 weeks tomorrow before we leave and we're just frantically trying to pack and all that.

I think I'll be wearing dark glasses for a week with all the goodbyes on various days to be said

Wow! We're leaving exactly the same day - from a different part of the world to a different part of Australia.

We are running around like crazy now to get everything done.

• Like 1

23 May 2013

The selling of the house is going nowhere. 15 agents and all we've had were about 6 visits from prospective buyers. We've brought the asking price down by about R750k and still no real increase in interest. Another thing, seems that some agents really expect you to organise your life around them and they expect you to be waiting at the phone for them to call... yeah right :glare:

On the work application front, got 2 responses today. One from a company I approached directly which only said they have nothing available at the moment, and another one for a Seek ad that said thanks, but we needed you on Oz soil to continue the application, contact us again when you land. :cry:

So the struggle continues... :unsure:

28 May 2013

We had to make a big and tough decision. Things are going to be too "unknown" and "unpredictable" in the beginning to bring our dogs along, and I wouldn't want to put them through all the stress of flights and quarantine for nothing. So we've decided not to take them along and have now found people willing to take them. Although this is going to hurt like hell and we will miss them like crazy, basically almost like "giving" your "children" away... but we hope to God that they will be happy with their new homes and that they will have happy long lives. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Like 1

Maybe they can make the big move once you get a bit settled.

Thanks. We've decided to rather not do the dog moving. We have no certainty about the short term to 1st year and its better that we rather let them go.

Shame Gideon, that's awful. I know how you feel. Althou our Scotty is coming with us, I have to leave my 2 cats behind and they have been with me for 9 years. You are lucky to have found someone to take them in. To rehome adult cats are next to impossible, and what lies ahead breaks my heart. The reality of this move is slowly starting to hit home. We are sacrificing so much...and it hurts like hell. Good luck with your house, Meyerspark has so many properties fos sales, its scary, but it does take a while. Hats off to you for using an agent. If I ever see an agent again I will slap him :) after what some of them put us through

My apologies for the spelling....I'm typing on my blackberry....while I'm supposed to be packing :)

Thanks Toitjie, good luck with the packing :)