VISA Granted... now for the BIG ESCAPE...

GideonVD

Thanks for the info. And its GideonVD ;)

PM me your email addy to forward you my CV.

On the container, we're bringing a lot of "hardwood and collectable" furniture, the value is roughly over R800000 for the contents I'd hazard to guess.

Thanks again.

Yes. That changes it a bit, but you could still sell the furniture in SA. I'm not sure if it will be worth significantly more in Oz - people generally aren't that interested in old crap. Do you use it, or are they largely ornamental?

I've PM'd you my email address before, so have a look for it, if you're serious about finding a job.

Edited by Abha93

Their of a personal, sentimental value nature also, and that's what we like and use.

I've seemed to have accidentally deleted your last pm while cleaning up my inbox for space, so if you don't mind sending it again?

O don't worry, I'm as serious as any normal human being about finding employment, I just also like to ensure I trust the sources also.

28 June 2013

Got the SWIFT confirmation and also a confirmation email from CommBank stating the receipt and our new balance on the account. It's a neat little number and should serve us well in establishing a foothold in Melbourne. My policies' value will be kept aside to be used as a "deposit" to buy/build a new home one day. I'm so happy that our funds are mostly safe from RSA's volatile Rand value. :D

1 July 2013

The attorneys have communicated that the buyers have successfully gotten a 100% loan from FNB. So now the transfer papers are being set up to be signed next week Monday. I'm glad, now it's finally REAL :)

Also, we had to pick up our Jack Russel from my aunt, as she couldn't care for her anymore. :o We got there and she's making excuses about the dog acting like one that was "mistreated" and such and that she doesn't want to adjust. We tried our best not to tell her were to go with her allegations. The dog was in a poor state, thin, bloody (so called cut her tail on the barbed-wire). We just got out of there before I killed her. :censored: Took her home, wife bathed her. She slept the night and we wondered were we will try place her. Then we try our luck with my parents, and they accepted. My wife took her to them today to see how she reacts and acts in the new environment. She loves my dad to bits and follows him like a shadow. :ph34r: We're so relieved that she finally got a good home and at least we will see her when we come for visits :D

• Like 1

Great news, about the house and your furry child. Poor dog doesn't sound like she was cared for at all. Hope your dad spoils her.

All the best, things coming together for the big day.

• Like 1

Sterkte!! Nie lekker nie. Dinge sal uitwerk vir julle...glo net daaraan. Alles gebeur vir 'n rede. Ons gaan self deur die proses met ons plaas diere-kinders & nou wat oorbly is ons honde (3) & katte (3)...ongelukkig met die honde moet ons 'n ander proses afstaar die dag as ons moet gaan...hulle is net eenvoudig te oud. Gelukkig is die werk situasie so te se van ons skouers af, want ons gaan op "sponsorship", maar staan ook maar saam met julle almal in die groep met al hierdie dinge wat die finansies betref. Wat my erger laat bekommer is dat ons die plasie (ons grootste bate) moet eers los!! (dws- nie verkoop nie) Teminste totdat ons die 2yr vir die PR afgele het & burgers daardie kant word. Party dae wonder ek of dit 'n goeie besluit is of nie om te gaan...dan kyk ons na ons 2 jong dogters se toekoms hier & dit kyk heel & totaal bleek. Hou moed! Wanneer vlieg julle? Ons ook oppad Melbourne toe maar eers (hopelik) +- end Sept/Okt. (hang af van visa nou...) Ons gaan na plaaslike dorp toe +- 2ure uit Melbourne (Suid-Oos).

Hi, dankie, Ja nee... dis 'n stryd en 'n half.

Ons vlieg die 3rde Augustus uit RSA en land die 4de in Sydney en daarna Melbourne.

Sterkte vir jul ook, dis 'n groot kans om te vat maar ons moet maar almal net vasbyt en hoop vir die beste :)

Hi Gideon, sorry to hear about your dog. That is horrible but such a nice ending that he is finally in a place of happiness.

good luck with your house transfer. My buyer also went through FNB and I was less than impressed to put it lightly. I was told by the attorneys and my own bank (Standard Bank) that FNB is notorious for delaying the process and being difficult. So they delayed our transaction with a good 3 weeks.

Hopefully you dont get the same bad service, but be on their case a lot if you can.

Thanks Toitjie, will keep it in mind :)

8 July 2013

Well, today the transfer instruction and other papers for the sale of the house have been signed. We're aiming to get registration done for the 1st/2nd August. Hopefully all goes well.

One step closer it seems :)

Edited by GideonVD

13 July 2013

Decided to swap a bit of currency for cash and a currency card (debit card). BidVest didn't want to help since our tickets were one-way and they only service people with return tickets. Forced me to go to my bank and ask there... they helped, but at a fairly higher rate. O well, at least it's done and we will have some currency on hand when we land.

I have found that American Express is the cheapest of the forex shops.

• 2 weeks later...

26 July 2013

Today was my last day at work. It's kinda weird no being "unemployed". Usually I would have something lined up to move to, but now I'm in limbo... A little unsettling. :(

The house is also feeling truly empty. Our last dogs have left with my Mother-in-law. At least they are going to a good home, but we are missing them terribly.

Our cellphone contracts ended also, and now they are converted to Pre-paid. This just made the feeling of being unemployed just that more real.

These last few days will be taxing... :(

• Like 1

Good luck Gideon. I sommer feel anxious for your sake.

May God bless these last few days.

• Like 1

All the best Gideon!

Hope that you manage to finish the last couple of tasks quickly. Try to relax if at all possible and enjoy the experience!

We'll be following behind you 2 weeks later!

Cheers,

Johan.

good luck with the final stretch Gideon, it might be taxing but its also exciting.

Personally, I cannot wait for the ride to the airport, checking in, and finally boarding :)

• Like 1

Yip it's a little stressful when you realize this is it. But hang in there, it's going to be an exciting ride.

All the best.

26 July 2013

Today was my last day at work. It's kinda weird no being "unemployed". Usually I would have something lined up to move to, but now I'm in limbo... A little unsettling. :(

The house is also feeling truly empty. Our last dogs have left with my Mother-in-law. At least they are going to a good home, but we are missing them terribly.

Our cellphone contracts ended also, and now they are converted to Pre-paid. This just made the feeling of being unemployed just that more real.

These last few days will be taxing... :(

Ever get that feeling that everything you're doing may just be the last time you do it?

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 2

Ever get that feeling that everything you're doing may just be the last time you do it?

O most definitely...

27 July 2013

Flippen hell the house feels empty. The last couple of items sold. Just struggling with the wife's car. But have made a plan with my dad to sell it on our behalf. A lot of our 4 suitcases are packed... but still some things to sort out before we are done. Monday is going to be weird...

29 July 2013

Damn this packing is a drain. Bayley's came today and started the packing of all our worldly possessions. Very efficient. But it was totally weird seeing your whole life being packed up in boxes.

1 August 2013

This day took the most out of me. They finished packing and loaded the container. We had too much too much to fit in one 20ft container. The important stuff is in, but now the remaining 12 boxes we have to sift through to figure out what's worth taking via a MoveCube once we have a rental. This is so frustrating to me, but that is what will happen when you have a lot to take like us? This is an ominous start to our emigration... I hope the rest goes better.

Now I just need to pay Bayley's and transfer the remainder to Oz. i just hope I can get everything done tomorrow.

And the house registration went through today, so tomorrow morning we have to also give keys anol to the buyer... Jay... :(

Edited by GideonVD

congrats on the house sale...you had a considerably smoother transfer than we did so thats a good thing isnt it?

good luck with the rest...we cannot even fill a 20ft container and already Im stressed about where we will put all our furniture. It sure doesnt fit into our current rental so I worry about that too

but Im assuming there is storage facilities that side too...and garages etc.

good luck with your last leg of the journey!

Storage this side is a breeze and I suspect a national part time. There are all kinds of storage units available and it is often cheaper to store than to pay for the rental of a bigger house.

Edited by Sunnyskies

2 August 2013

The last things are done... the keys to the house handed to the buyer, Bayleys paid for the container, the remaining money transferred, travel insurance organised, the remaining boxes sorted to only select the needed items to send via Seven Seas at a later date, our suitcases finally packed (almost all are on the 22.xkg mark :o) and now we are trying to relax before the big day tomorrow.

We fly tomorrow afternoon around 18:15 on SAA flight SA7700, landing in Sydney around 14:15, transferring to our domestic Qantas flight QF453 around 17:00. We will finally land around 18:35 in Melbourne.

This will most likely be my 2nd last post on this thread till we are sorted that side and I start the next chapter of our journey into the heart of Australia.

Wish us luck and keep them fingers crossed mate :D

• Like 1