VISA Granted... now for the BIG ESCAPE...

GideonVD

1 June 2013

We finally have an offer! :D Yippeee!!!! And no dependency on them having to sell a place first! Cool beans!!!!

We missed our mark by R50k, but it's worth it to just get this off our shoulders! :D

We are flippen ecstatic!

• Like 1

congrats on the offer!! I really hope this is the one for you..

• Like 1

Here is holding thumbs (another expression Aussies don't use) and crossing fingers (one they do use).

• Like 2

Thanks all... we are seriously hoping all goes smooth

• Like 1

05 June 2013

Things are flying out of the house now. With the offer to purchase and our flight date in August looming closer we're renewing our effort to sell anything that's not going along. So a couple of things have been advertised and more than half of the items have already been sold within a week. Good! :D

At this rate we'll be sitting in an almost empty house before the movers come to pack the container :o

Congrats on selling the house. That's one of the biggest things out of the way.

So sorry to read you are having to rehome your pets, we rehomed our cats, I cried for days -

I was going to bring my girls with but hubby didn't want to put them thru the hassles and separation of quarantine - so I just went with it, at the end of the day if we had bought them with we would have battled securing a pet friendly rental.

Happy packing and camping out in the half empty house.

Technically not sold the house yet, still waiting for the buyer to get his loan and such. :)

...at the end of the day if we had bought them with we would have battled securing a pet friendly rental.

This is so true, we would also seriously be struggling to find a nice place that was pet friendly. Their very scarce.

9 June 2013

Our house is feeling slightly more and more emptier as we start getting rid of things that we aren't taking with to Oz in the container. Sold our sofas, dining room set, our LPG generator and the home entertainment system. We've got buyers lined up for the fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer. The people who would have bought my wife's car dropped us, but I reckon we should be able to sell it as the Nissan Juke's are very popular.

With each piece that's gone we feel like something we have accomplished in our lives to get it has now been taken away. It hurts a little, but then again... we are getting something back to contribute to our new lives in Oz.

On the doggies front, we no longer have to give the two smaller Dachshunds to strangers anymore. My Mother-in-Law (MIL) has offered to take all our remaining kids to look after them. It's still gonna hurt to let them go, but at least it's with family and we will see them when we come back for visits. :D

I've cashed in two policies and they've paid out. Now just waiting for the ZAR/AUD exchange rate to improve a bit before I transfer that money to Oz. Still waiting for my PPS membership to be cancelled and the surplus account funds to be paid out. All in all, this amount will go towards saving for a nice deposit on a new home. Still have to decide if we will buy or build one day.

The time is getting closer. One side I can't wait, and on the other I'm a little hesitant... the unknown usually scares me slightly.

Just hoping for the best...

• Like 1

Hi Gideon, Hoop jul koper se lening word sommer gou goedgekeur sonder enige snaakse voorwaardes... Ons hou duime vas. Waar het jul jul meubels ens. geadverteer, op bid or buy? Ons wil ook nou al solank begin uitdun. My man is nou besig om te kyk na vlugkaartjies vir die activation trip. Hy wil Oktober vir 'n week gaan - ek het heimlik gehoop ons kan sommer 'n eenrigting-ding doen in Januarie, maar ons huis is nog nie in die mark nie en ek weet nie of ons dan al gereed sal wees nie. Die vlugkaartjie pryse laat my skoon na my asem snak! Sterkte en groete.

Hi Kanniewagnie... dankie. Beste wat ons doen is op OLX en Gumtree :)

Selfde vir jul, sien jul dalk by die 21ste Julie se storie. :)

• 2 weeks later...

21 June 2013

This issue with the exchange rate is giving me a stomach ulcer! We are soon to move a major bit of our freed-up assets to Oz next week. The rest I'm leaving still to cover the amounts to be paid this side. After that I'll move the remaining rest just before we leave. Just hope to the heavens the rate remains "fairly" stable.

I just fear that when we finally call up our RA's, their value will be severely lessened by the worsening rates :(

O the joys of immigration :P

Edited by GideonVD

We are in the same boat...only later...I can only move my money when my pension fund pays out, which will be November...who knows what the exchange rate will be by then!

Lets hope Zuma doesn't speak in public before you move your money :P

Lets hope Zuma doesn't speak in public before you move your money :P

That, or Mandela dropping the bucket or the miners striking... :o

I'm seriously needing a Valium now

22 June 2013

This day was a total surprise to us. We initially thought we were going to have a nice braai and social with some good friends, but low and behold. When we got out of the car I hear the sentence: "Ah, the guests of honour." Ok, weird. But then I also see my cousin and others that I didn't expect to see. My best friends actually made today like a "going away" party for us.

I was totally stumped... I didn't expect this and was so happy they did surprise us. We will seriously miss them... :cry: :cry:

• Like 2

That, or Mandela dropping the bucket or the miners striking... :o

I'm seriously needing a Valium now

I am afaid it looks certain that Mandela might be leaving us very soon and the rand is already tumbling!

It is midday and the rand if 10.15. The weakness in the rand has got nothing to do with Mandela, it to do with the US plans to turn off the QE funding and the commodity market softening due to China concerns. The AUD to the ZAR is trading at 9.42 which is about the level it was last week.

The AUD has weekend quite considerably against the USD about 13 % in a couple of weeks.

Edited by chzaau

Gideon - you truly have amazing friends to do this for you guys!

Actually, the AUD/ZAR rate is R9.32 at the moment :)

Gideon - you truly have amazing friends to do this for you guys!

Thanks, and agreed ;):)

Gideonsclaw, I don't want to depress you, but the Melbourne IT job market is a bit stagnant at the moment. It actually goes for the wider market. Lots of retrenchments and position freezes too :(

I was fortunate enough to secure a position before we moved over, but that's becoming the exception rather than the rule, especially with the uncertainty and politics around 457 visa grants. You're welcome to send me your CV, and I can pass it on internally.

We were put up in a corporate apartment for the first month of our stay here, and only just managed to secure a rental before the end of that period. Very few rental properties allow pets either, so your call to leave the dogs behind is probably a good one - we did the same :cry:

Lastly, how much is the house content worth that you're planning to bring over? We found it much more convenient, cheaper and less stressful to just come over with our luggage. We were able to furnish our rental for quite a bit less than what the container cost would have been.

Thanks for the info. And its GideonVD ;)

PM me your email addy to forward you my CV.

On the container, we're bringing a lot of "hardwood and collectable" furniture, the value is roughly over R800000 for the contents I'd hazard to guess.

Thanks again.

25 July 2013

Today was one of the most nerve racking days of my life. I transferred about 75% of our cashed assets over to Australia via CashKows. The process was fairly easy. Their forex team, FX Capital contacted me, gave me all the necessary forms to fill in. Give them a certified copy of my ID and proof or residence. They established an Investec CCM account that I transferred the money to via my Internet Banking. They transferred the amount at a rate of just a bit under R9.40/AUD, subtracting the R250 SWIFT fee. The SWIFT confirmation should be received by Thursday and then I can confirm our new bank balance with CommBank. Slowly but surely it's happening.

But damn the amounts of money and the waiting is seriously eating away at my nerves. :blush:

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 2

Don't stress. Even with FNB complicating our stuff, our money is already safely in Aus. No mess, no fuss.

You got a lot better rate than I did a week ago <_<

You got a lot better rate than I did a week ago <_<

Well, the rate has gone up again... so good thing I moved money yesterday :D

Edited by GideonVD