Parents Visa

rene321

Hi Maudei,

That prep letter is new to me too. Maybe it is part of speeding up the process. Or maybe it is a junior CO who has the task of pre-checking cases and getting all documents ready for the CO to check and rubber stamp. Who knows.

Would you mind checking exactly when you applied? You say about 14 months ago. What was your date of lodgement? The reason is we applied too 9 months ago and I am wanting to know how far behind in the queue we are.

Hi Jordy

Thank you so much for your response. Yes the letter does state that it will help speed up the process of assessment. My application was lodged right at the start of January 2012, so they counted that month as a whole month. The wait in the queue from lodgement is roughly 17 or 18 months at the moment until they do the assessment. If your wait has been 9 months then I guess you have 8 or 9 months to go for assessment.

So if they processing January 2012 and we applied in June 2012, we will have about 6 months wait. Cool thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maudei,

Glad to hear that there is some tasks you need to/can do to speed the process up. Requesting you to do PCC, medicals and getting ready for AoS sounds like the end is in sight. Just a couple of hoops (especially the last 2nd VAC payment), to jump through and then you have that visa grant letter. When are you thinking of moving to Aus?

All the best, I hope things happens quickly and you have the visa soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno... oops, got confused sorry :)

RichtB - Thank you so much for your message and wishes, sorry I took so long to reply.

I was advised that my assessment is in about mid June. Hoping for no other requests from them and definitely hoping for an approval of course soon after and then yes handing over the heart stopping 2nd VAC! After the Visa grant I would give myself about 4 weeks before flying out.

An update, I have now done everything that was requested in the prep letter, PCC clear, done and in Oz, AOS done and dusted, applied approved and Bond invested, Medical etc. done 2 weeks ago.

Only 2 and a half months to go for the assessment. Praying it will be in my favour.

I see you landed Oct in Perth, I have a few friends who have made it their home in the past 4 years. Hope it is all that you wished for and that you are settling in. My destination is Brisbane on the far other side.

All the very best to you.

Hi Maudei,

I am interested in your progress, well done! We posted off our CPV application at the end of December 2012 and just had a letter yesterday saying it was lodged 7 January 2013. So now we have the long wait, but much to do, so hopefully it will go quickly. House is currently on the market and we will rent in a complex until we leave. Had 3 burglaries last year, so we have been quite traumatised. Looking forward to a safer new life in Aus close to our children and grandchildren. We will hopefully settle in Sydney near our daughter and family. Son in Brisbane.

Hope the rest of your process goes smoothly and effortlessly. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you Jamie. I wish you all the best with you application and that you will be reunited with your children asap. You applied approximately a year after I did so hopefully this time next year you are at the same process stage that I am at right now. I see you live close to where I lived in Kloof DBN just before I moved to JHB. Good luck with your sale and rest of your plans. If you have any questions about any of the processes I have been through, feel free to ask at any time.

Hi Maudei & Jamie,

Maudei,

Yes we are settled in nicely. Medicare, Tax file numbers, driver licences (we still had to do the practical test) etc done. We opened a bank account in 2007 so at least that was sorted when we arrived last year. I am currently looking for something to keep me busy - and earn a couple of $'s hopefully.

Jamie,

Sounds like what drives you to move to Aus, is the same as our main reason - close to children and of course grand children. We are fortunate in that both our children live in Perth. It is so nice when they drop in for a visit on a Sunday morning/watch rugby with my son/enjoy the grand children.

All the best and may the progress of your applications be without any hicups and visa grant sooner than normal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi there, Just updating those who are following the Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa. My application was lodged at the beginning of 2012. In mid Feb 2013 (13 and a half months later) I received a preparation letter from immigration in which they advised that in the coming months a Case Officer would be assigned and that I should obtain a PCC, AOS and Medical in the mean time to speed up the final assessment of my application which was expected to be assessed in mid June 2013. I completed all the requests as well as my AOS approved and lodged and about a month ago when a Case Office was assigned, I was asked to also complete another form 80. There seemed to be more questions in the latest form 80 although none of them actually applied to me. I was also asked to repeat a urine test two weeks ago, it turns out that the first test had some strange reading, not sure if it was typed in wrong or what the problem was but long story short the 2nd test was all fine and has been sent off to Immigration 2 days after the lab results. I insisted this time that a copy of the test results where emailed to me. I am hoping that having had to redo this test has not delayed the process too much and that all is on schedule for final assessment soon.

• Like 4

Hi Maudei,

Thanks for the update. Please keep us updated on what happens cause I am following your timeline.

• Like 1

I presume you are referring to the Assurance of Support (AoS), which is $10 000 for the main applicant and $4 000 for the, in our case, 2nd applicant. This will be used, should the visa holders require any social benefits. This bond is paid back in 10 years with interest. It has nothing to do with Medicare.The 2nd VAC of plus minus $40k per person, for the contributory visa, is a contribution towards Medicare. Depending on the age and medical condition/requirements, private health insurance needs to be considered for dental and optics to name but two.Visit www.immi.gov.au and obtain Booklet 3, this contains all info relevant to parent migration. There are fact sheets wich explains AoS as well as other aspects of parents visa types. You can find the fact sheets under Media on the site.

in what stage do we have to pay the 2 nd VAC payment?

Hi Linda

The 2nd (BIG!) VAC payment is normaly made after medicals, PCC have been submitted and Assurance of Support (AoS) payment, via CentreLink, has been done.

If you have already done the AoS payment, then the 2nd VAC payment is soon. Not long after you made the 2nd payment the visa grant notice is issued.

The above is a rough guide/indicator on/of progress with the application.

All the best and keep us posted on progress.

Hi Not sure if this is the best place to ask but need some help. We put our application for a contributory 173 visa in July 2012 we have just sold our business and I am thinking of going to America to visit my sister for 9 weeks.Should I go for police clearance and medical before I go to America and do they always ask for medicals with a 173 Visa.Please need some advice on this matter,not sure what to do I know they are both valid for 12 months but not sure what to do.

Hi Maudei,

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and hoping all is progressing well. I'm sure I replied somewhere else to one of your messages, but I'm not entirely sure of my way around the topics yet! We are a year behind you, having applied for a 173 in Dec 2012. We have an offer on our house subject to bond approval, so hoping that things are beginning to move. We just want to be in a position to move without delay once our visa comes through.

Thank you for the update and may the rest be plain sailing. Jx

• Like 1

Hi William,

I'm sure there are many others on the forum far better qualified to answer your questions, but I'm sure the medicals are compulsory. Tough to know how to proceed with your trip to the States as you could hear any time soon I guess from a Case Officer given your timing???

Hope one of the others who are more experienced can give their opinion too.

Good luck. We are not far behind you, having applied for a 173 in Dec 2012.

Cheers for now,

J

• Like 1

Hi all

Can anybody tell me how the 2nd vac works I was under impression we could put 60% down and pay the other 40% while in Aus earning dollars I know the 2nd vac is 50660.00AUD but not sure on options to pay HELP.

Hi all

Can anybody tell me how the 2nd vac works I was under impression we could put 60% down and pay the other 40% while in Aus earning dollars I know the 2nd vac is 50660.00AUD but not sure on options to pay HELP.

Hi William, as far as I am aware if you have applied for 173 visa your 2nd VAC is the 60% as you mentioned which is due as you know just before visa is granted. You would then need to apply for a permanent 143 visa while in Australia and that will then require a small application fee when applying and then also a 2nd VAC which will be approx. the 40% or so like you said. I am not sure however if the 40% that it works out to be now, will increase accordingly to the date when you eventually officially apply for the 143 visa, since fees increase every year.

Regarding PCC and medicals, perhaps better to wait for your case officer's prompt. Medicals & PCC was compulsory for our the subclass 143 at least.

Also for the 143 visa the 2nd VAC we paid was that that was listed on form 990i for the year (qtr) we submitted the application. So the charge is fixed based on the date of your application submission - for the class 143 anyway. For the 143 visa the 2nd VAC is not paid in instalments. Does booklet 3 or some of the fact sheets not contain info on this?

Hi all

Hi William, as far as I am aware if you have applied for 173 visa your 2nd VAC is the 60% as you mentioned which is due as you know just before visa is granted. You would then need to apply for a permanent 143 visa while in Australia and that will then require a small application fee when applying and then also a 2nd VAC which will be approx. the 40% or so like you said. I am not sure however if the 40% that it works out to be now, will increase accordingly to the date when you eventually officially apply for the 143 visa, since fees increase every year.

Regarding PCC and medicals, perhaps better to wait for your case officer's prompt. Medicals & PCC was compulsory for our the subclass 143 at least.

Also for the 143 visa the 2nd VAC we paid was that that was listed on form 990i for the year (qtr) we submitted the application. So the charge is fixed based on the date of your application submission - for the class 143 anyway. For the 143 visa the 2nd VAC is not paid in instalments. Does booklet 3 or some of the fact sheets not contain info on this?

Yes both 173 and 143 visas do not have "instalments".

Someone had no doubt used the "60%" "40%" and term "instalments" explanation to William to show that ultimately which ever way you reach the 143 visa, directly one way or either via firstly going with the 173 temp visa and then applying for the 143 visa, the cost in the end is very similar.

1. If you apply for the 143 visa from day one your 2nd VAC will cost you "X" amount

2. If you apply for the 173 visa then your 2nd VAC will cost you "60%" of "X"

3. If you are a 173 visa holder and then apply for a 143 visa then your 2nd VAC will cost you the remaining "40%" of "X"

Why would anyone go the 173 route? If you do not have immediate sufficient funds for "X", while you have a 173 visa you can work to earn dollars to cover the balance of the final 143 application that will ultimately follow. However in the end due to the fact that you have to make another application for the 143 visa later, the "40%" will actually be slightly more due to increases in fees by then. Not a big deal, the "40%" is a guideline and you will know to ensure you have a little bit more to cover the application fee and increase. Earning in dollars is also way better than using the current exchange rate so going this route could even turn out more cost effective in the end. Also you have a chance of deciding whether you want to stay in Australia for good before paying the additional "40%".

For some, the $$$$ to pay X is not easily available, especially in the first 2 years.

Hi All

We have got a letter from a case officer requiring more documents Medical (fairly easy) anew form (more complicated then the last) and more detail.They also request police clearance (they take longer then we thought) they have also requested a discharge from the army (compulsory training 40 years ago.) and all this must be done in 28 days.We are going to have to ask for a extension because although we have speed mailed for police clearances and army discharge they are talking 4 to 6 weeks.I want to ask does anybody know how long it take once the documents have all been submitted to Australia before visa is granted.We have sold our business but need to have some income coming in if it is going to take longer then a month or two.

Help help

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All...Just a quick update, today I received a request to pay my 2nd VAC. Trying everything to keep calm and not scream the place down with excitement!!! It is not the visa grant letter that I need so desperately in my hands, so I am not celebrating just yet. The letter once again reminds you of all of that. Next few days will be rushing around organising the funds to be in the right place at the right time.

Pity that there are only two payment options, credit card or bank cheque. Is there anyone that has paid their 2nd VAC and could give their advise on which is the better payment option as far as speed and reliability is concerned? Thank You in Advance :)

• Like 2