Parents Visa

rene321

Hi Jordy

I am hoping that you hear from DIAC soon. Only 6 months apart in our applications and there is already a difference in timing.

Maudei

• Like 1

Hi Guys!

I would like to find out - we are only moving to Aus in October and my parents now want to apply for the Contributing Parent Visa as my Dad is only 52. Can he apply as soon as we are in Aus or does he have to wait untill we have been there 2 years?

Thanks for the help

xoxox

Are you the only children or does your parents have other kids in OZ?

I was under the impression that the kid doing the sponsoring is the one that needs to be settled? Then for the balance of family test, 50% or more needs to be in OZ (but not settled)

Who is this visa for?

(this would be satisfied by the fact that my brother lives in OZ as a citizen)

This visa is for you if you are a parent of a child or stepchild

who, at the time the visa application is lodged, is 'settled' and either

an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand

citizen. This means your child must have been lawfully resident in

Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years, although a

shorter period can be considered for Australian citizen children if

there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.

In addition you must be able to demonstrate one of the following:

(this part would be satisfied by me, when we go over....it does not state that you have to be settled, but only that you need to be a residnet and usually resident in Aus)

• at least half of your children are Australian citizens,

Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are

usually resident in Australia

• you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens,

Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in

any other country.

Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.

Note: If you have been granted a Tourist (subclass

676) visa by the Minister through ministerial intervention, other

eligibility criteria may apply. If you are considering a parent visa

option, please contact the Parent Visa Centre in Perth to discuss your

specific circumstances.

See: Parent Visa Centre

From DIAC website:

The following information may assist you in working out if you will pass the balance of family test.

The balance of family test requires that at least half of your

children live permanently in Australia, or that more of your children

live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

In order to count as living permanently in Australia, your children must be:

• Australian citizens
  • Australian permanent residents who are usually resident in Australia
  • eligible New Zealand citizens who are normally resident in Australia.

Hi Jordy

I am hoping that you hear from DIAC soon. Only 6 months apart in our applications and there is already a difference in timing.

Maudei

Maudei, guess what?????? We got a CO who has requested more info and medicals and PCC's. And we have to make an appointment for the AoS. Awesome!!!!

Exactly 15 months from acknowledgement letter date.

• Like 3

Hey Jordy,

I'm so excited for you! I've been following your and Maudei's progress, since ours was lodged Jan 2012. Fantastic news.

I also wondered about, closer to the time, if it's worth applying for the PCC in advance, given that it's valid for a year or more?

We're always trying to be one step ahead ne?

Well done.

• Like 3

Hi Guys

just to fill you in our progress we lodged in July 2012 parental 173 they requested police clearances and medical army discharge for my husband in June 2013 .We provided info and after submitting everything 2nd vac requested our Visas granted on the 20th August.We in process of selling business and hope to be in Aus by latest end October.I wanted to ask does anybody know if we need any special visa to work in Aus or if we automatically qualify to work in know the visa does allow us to work but want to know if we need anything in writing to apply for work.We very excited but it is a scary process as we have spent a load of money getting to Aus and need to hit the ground running when we get there.

Jackie and Ian :grads:

• Like 2

Good on ya Jordy.

WilliamFin, you just need your passport and visa grant letter. The grant letter will specify ability to work.

Hoping to lodge parental visas in 2 years time.

Maudei, guess what?????? We got a CO who has requested more info and medicals and PCC's. And we have to make an appointment for the AoS. Awesome!!!!

Exactly 15 months from acknowledgement letter date.

Oh Jordy that is such awesome news!! I am so excited for you and your folks. Yay at last.... :) :) :)

So for your parents they did not ever get a preparation letter earlier on like I did. But I did get a CO at 15 months so it seems that must be the norm time frame for COs to be assigned.

Hi Jackie and Ian,

Exciting news for you too! I know what you mean, it is indeed a scary process. We just need to trust, trust, trust and keep focused on what we want to achieve. I do hope it all comes together well for you. Good luck x

ps Where in Aus do you hope to settle?

Hi Guys

just to fill you in our progress we lodged in July 2012 parental 173 they requested police clearances and medical army discharge for my husband in June 2013 .We provided info and after submitting everything 2nd vac requested our Visas granted on the 20th August.We in process of selling business and hope to be in Aus by latest end October.I wanted to ask does anybody know if we need any special visa to work in Aus or if we automatically qualify to work in know the visa does allow us to work but want to know if we need anything in writing to apply for work.We very excited but it is a scary process as we have spent a load of money getting to Aus and need to hit the ground running when we get there.

Jackie and Ian :grads:

Fantastic news Jackie and Ian... Congratulations!!! :)

The 173 visas do process a little quicker so I have heard. All you need is your passport and visa grant letter which proves that you are allowed to work in Australia. What you should know and do is apply for a Tax Number online immediately when you arrive, Not sure if you can do that perhaps before you arrive, I did not need to know that when I applied so was not taking notice. The Tax number arrives in the mail pretty soon after you apply for it so there is really no big panic and you only need it by when you by the time you actually start earning....Perhaps you can go have a look see if you can do it in advance. You need a postal address for the Tax number to be posted to, so you can use your Children's address I presume.

All the best with the sale of your business and final arrangements. You must be soooo excited :)

Hi Jamie

We are starting in Brisbane as we can stay with my sister till we have jobs etc, Ian and I are on different pages I would like to be closer to my son and grandkids they are in Sydney but we have to be practical and see were we can get jobs,I must admit it will be different living in a city again as we live in Underberg so it is going to be very strange where we live our nearest neighbour is probably about a km away.Have you not heard anything back have you got a case officer yet.Thanks for the reply and good luck with yours.

Jackie

Hi Maudei

Thanks for the well wishes and advice will definitely look into that.How you going have you found work yet and are you enjoying Australia.

Chat soon

Jackie

Oh Jackie, you sound just like me! We have a daughter with 4 children in Sydney, and our son with 1 little boy in Brisbane! We are hoping to settle in Sydney as my husband's sister and large family are there too, but we will just have to see when we get there how things work out. I am learning to flow with the go like never before and to let go of my preconceived expectations! Trying to enjoy the ride in the meantime. Sometimes easier than others.

Underberg is one of my fav places in the world, so I do understand how different it will be for you. I think we both have to be comforted by the fact that we will be closer to our children and grandchildren, a huge blessing!

We haven't heard anything except for our initial acknowledgement letter in March 2013. Hoping to hear from a CO around January 2014 onwards, so we anticipate being in Aus middle of next year.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Jx

Hi Jamie

It seems we have been really lucky we lodged application in July 2012 and got the request for police clearances medical etc in June 2013.We hassled with the army clearance so if your husband did compulsory military training apply for a discharge know because that lasts forever the Police clearance however also took a long time but that is only valid for 6 months but not to expensive so maybe think of applying in the next few months.The next form you get is actually more detailed then the 1st but I must say the process has been a lot less complicated then I thought we did it ourselves and never went through a agent (to expensive).Good luck hope you hear soon

Jax

• Like 1

Thanks Jax. We are also doing everything ourselves. I had thought of applying early for police clearance, but didn't realise it is only valid 6 months. We submitted the military discharge with our initial application ... bit of a mission getting that one!

Good luck with the sale of your business. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Maybe we can meet for a cappac on the other side and compare notes!

love J

Hi Jamie

That will be great we just waiting till the end of this month and then we will pull the plug take the gamble and go hope we get jobs on the other side fast.Who are you booking your tickets through because remember if you book with iom you can take a lot more luggage with, we are hoping to book in the next 10 day have made enquiries in the mean time.

Hope we get to have a cuppa on the other side

Good luck

Jax

Oh good! So excited for you. You must have permanent butterflies at this stage!

We will probably book with IOM given the luggage allowance.

Right now I am packing packing packing. We move into our rental in a complex in 2 weeks. The waiting room, as someone said! We were lucky to sell our house quickly. Big relief!

Let me know when you've booked tickets. Hopefully the jobs will be just waiting for you.

Take care and remember to breathe!

J

The business is a concern we also sold house quick but are lucky there as we built on a friends farm and he paid us out and we are staying on until we go so at least one move.We have also already got rid of most of furniture and stuff that is not worth taking sewing machines etc.If we have not sold we have made the decision we will close at the end of the month not ideal but sometimes have to make the call.It will be sad as we have worked hard and built it up we have the animal farm and restaurant on the Drak gardens road The Duck and Spoors and it is going really well so will be a sad day to just close it.Good luck with 1st move hope 2nd soon.

Regard

Jax

• Like 1

Hi Jordy,

Good news I see!

Once they ask for PCC and medicals, things start moving quicker or so it seems after the months of waiting without hearing anything.

All the best and hope the visa grant is soon.

Jamie,

Rather wait till the PCC is requested as you never know how long the process takes.

• Like 1

Hi Jax. just wanted to say I'm thinking about you as the days fly past. I know you will be sad to leave your business, I think I know the spot, it's so beautiful there. Still, it's all meant to be, even though there are difficult choices to be made. Trust there is something amazing waiting for you.

Have you booked tickets yet?

Sending you big hugs,

Jx

Hi Jamie

We have not booked but will in the next 2 or 3 days.We close business on the 30th.It is beautiful,we will make it work on the other side.I see you cycle this is one of the most amazing cycle area.

chat soon

Jax

Meant to ask have you moved yet.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: We have been accepted as AoS by Centrelink and were instructed to pay the $10000 bond. Process at Commonwealth Bank was painful and took over two hours because the lady had never done one before and had to follow instructions step by step on their system. But all got done in the end. Received an email from Human Services saying all was good and that they would notify DIAC we were approved and bond had been paid.

Now just waiting on the PCC from Pretoria and once that is submitted we wait again. But nearly there.

EDIT: One of the things that confused the poor lady from Commonwealth was that all the instructions and forms on their systems refer to DIMA, which is what DIBP was previously known as before it was called DIAC.

• Like 1

Hi Jordy,

Good news indeed. Couple of weeks and the request for the 2nd payment will arrive, and then visa grant. Happy for you.

Hi Jo

UPDATE: We have been accepted as AoS by Centrelink and were instructed to pay the $10000 bond. Process at Commonwealth Bank was painful and took over two hours because the lady had never done one before and had to follow instructions step by step on their system. But all got done in the end. Received an email from Human Services saying all was good and that they would notify DIAC we were approved and bond had been paid.

Now just waiting on the PCC from Pretoria and once that is submitted we wait again. But nearly there.

EDIT: One of the things that confused the poor lady from Commonwealth was that all the instructions and forms on their systems refer to DIMA, which is what DIBP was previously known as before it was called DIAC.

Fantastic News Jordy.... lovely to hear.... you must all be so excited that it is so close now. I am sure you have already done this, but if not, send a copy of the acceptance letter from Centrelink to the Case Officer to tie up just in case things do not link up. For some reason my CO did not receive notice from Centrelink or rather who ever was to link the two had not done so, something like that. I know about the recent DIBP change, so difficult to sound :) but had no idea that the Commonwealth bank still referred to DIMA wow..... All the Best Jordy and cannot wait to hear more good news from you soon.

Hi Jordy,

So glad all is coming together. Your MIL must be very excited. Not long and the visa will be granted. Happy days :)

Can you tell me once the visa is granted, how long do we have before we need to land in Aus??

Thanks,

J

Jordy,

Good advice from Maudei regarding informing the CO. We experienced a delay of nearly 3 weeks :angry2: , because Centrelink did not/delayed inform/informing the CO.

How are things Maudei, settled in already?

Hi All

I am so pleased to have found this forum. I have been feeling as though our application has been lost in the system, but reading all your experiences and timelines give me hope that maybe we can expect some news soon. We did not use an agent but we did sign a Form 956 for my daughter in Perth to act as the authorised recipient. The only communication we have received so far is a letter of acknowledgment of Application Lodgement Date 07 August 2012 and a case no.

In July 2013 we decided to apply for our Police Clearance and received them back within 2 weeks. (We arranged the courier service ourselves.) I would just like to confirm if they are valid for a year or 6 months?

When the DIAC request the second vac how long are you given to make the payment and what is the best method of making the payment? What description/reason do you give and is it taken out of your yearly forex allowance? Any suggestions on what is the most cost effective way of transferring any excess fund you might have? Sorry for all the questions, but this is all so confusing.

To all of you who have made it to “the other side” congratulations and may you always feel that it was the best decision you ever made. For those still in the queue good luck and may we all be able to join our loved ones soon.

Regards

Chippy