Parents Visa

rene321

Jordy,

Good advice from Maudei regarding informing the CO. We experienced a delay of nearly 3 weeks :angry2: , because Centrelink did not/delayed inform/informing the CO.

How are things Maudei, settled in already?

Hi Richt

Settled mostly thank you.... doing the work search now

Hi Maudei,

Good luck with the job search - it can be a bit fustrating. I sometimes think the recruitment process in Australia marches to the beat of a different drum.

Chippie,

Not sure exactly how long you are given to pay the 2nd VAC. Regarding the method of payment, you could transfer the amount to your daughter's account in Australia and ask her to pay DIAC. Make use of Exchange4Free to do the transfer should you use this method.

Hi All

I am so pleased to have found this forum. I have been feeling as though our application has been lost in the system, but reading all your experiences and timelines give me hope that maybe we can expect some news soon. We did not use an agent but we did sign a Form 956 for my daughter in Perth to act as the authorised recipient. The only communication we have received so far is a letter of acknowledgment of Application Lodgement Date 07 August 2012 and a case no.

In July 2013 we decided to apply for our Police Clearance and received them back within 2 weeks. (We arranged the courier service ourselves.) I would just like to confirm if they are valid for a year or 6 months?

When the DIAC request the second vac how long are you given to make the payment and what is the best method of making the payment? What description/reason do you give and is it taken out of your yearly forex allowance? Any suggestions on what is the most cost effective way of transferring any excess fund you might have? Sorry for all the questions, but this is all so confusing.

To all of you who have made it to “the other side” congratulations and may you always feel that it was the best decision you ever made. For those still in the queue good luck and may we all be able to join our loved ones soon.

Regards

Chippy

Hi Chippy

Did you apply for a Contributory Parent - Temporary or Permanent Resident visa?.... for the temp visa usually they come back to you a little earlier than the PR visa.

A lot of SA people get confused with PCC validity periods..... South African PCC's inside of South Africa (although it is not shown on the actual certificate itself) are only valid for 6 months as far as SA Police are concerned... if you ask them they will always reply the same "valid for 6 months". That is within SA.

However the important part here is that you are applying to DIBP in Australia (DIPD is the new abbreviation for the previous DIAC which changed its name recently) and DIBP (DIAC) as far as I know accept PCC's for a period of 12 months from date of issue. However the last time I confirmed this point was in February 2013 and I am not aware of any changes since then. For interest sake: After arriving in Australia 2 months ago I did enquire about how long a period an Australian PCC is valid for and the answer I was given is that the police do not give a validity period and it depends on the organisation asking you for the Police Clearance as to the period they wish to adopt.

The 2nd VAC is required to be paid within 28 days from date of letter requesting the VAC. You receive the email with the letter attached on the same date that the letter was dated... It is important that these funds are easy for you to access at short notice.

You are given the options of payment from of a Credit Card or an Australian Bank Guaranteed Cheque. They do NOT accept a bank transfer payment to their account, which is soooooo frustrating. I would suggest paying the VAC to your daughter and asking her to obtain a bank guarantee cheque and delivering it urgently to the Parent Visa Centre which is in West Perth. With your daughter being in Perth makes it so much easier.

When I sent any money across I only ever used the reason as GIFT. There were never any questions asked as long as I was within my allowance. You always have to sign a declaration of what you have used of your allowance so far.

The last excess funds I transferred to my cousin's account here in Aus, the day before I left SA and when I got here the bank put it into a new account for me. They did not charge either of us Bank Fees even from the transfer from SA, they waivered all fees.....said it was because they knew my cousin and welcome to Australia? Was very hard to comprehend but I was happy to accept :)

As far as the final Dollar amount that arrives in Australia is concerned I think everyone has such a different take on it. I used my bank in the end to transfer my final funds, because after shopping around and working out the actual final Dollar arrival amount, they were all so similar and so I decided to use my bank because it was so much more convenient. My recommendation is to do the same and also ensure you get quotes from reputable places is something I was advised.

Yes the 2nd VAC comes off your yearly Forex allowance. Even if you ship your goods out of SA, you have to declare the value and take it off your allowance as well. The only thing you do not have to declare from the allowance is your flight ticket out.

Something I had heard before I left SA in August that there was talk of the 1 mil allowance per year possibly being increased? Not sure if that has happened yet or still on the cards. It could also have just been a rumour.

All the best with your steps further and hope you will hear from DIBP soon... Please keep us posted.

:)

Thank you RitchB..... Yes it is very different and none of the advise I got from anyone worked either :) So it is rather confusing.... lol..... Quick on the draw and luck seems to play a big role... All I need is the luck part :)

Thank you Maudie and RitchB for your advice.

Maudie -
We applied for the 173 temp visa. Thanks so much for all the helpful information. It is so nice to be able to communicate
with someone else who has gone through the experience.

Chippie/Maudei,

There are two allowances available to South Africans. The R1m discertionary and the R4m per person per calender year. We made use of both allowances to move funds to Austaralia (wish I had R4m+ :glare: ). The R4m requires clearance from SARS, which makes it a bit more involved.

Maudei,

Have you joined the saaustralia facebook group? There is a job seeker section which is worth signing up for - give it a try.

Chippie/Maudei,

There are two allowances available to South Africans. The R1m discertionary and the R4m per person per calender year. We made use of both allowances to move funds to Austaralia (wish I had R4m+ :glare: ). The R4m requires clearance from SARS, which makes it a bit more involved.

Maudei,

Have you joined the saaustralia facebook group? There is a job seeker section which is worth signing up for - give it a try.

Yes RichtB if you need more than the R1mil each there are other options.... (I did not even need the 1mil allowance ~blush~ came with a few dollars and a leap of faith) Thanks for the FB tip... I did not join the fb group before but I will now that you mentioned this... much appreciated :)

We will pretty much be in the same position as you Maudie we will also be going over on a "wing and a prayer". Once visa's, bonds, air fares etc have been paid for, there will not be much left to start our new life in Oz, but everything would will be worth it just to be close to our children and grandchildren again.

I would like to know from anyone that has applied for the 173 Temporary Contributory Parent visa's, was the form 40 Assurance of Support included with the original application or was it called for later, also at what stage is the form 80 called for.

Have a great day.

Hi there Alkie, I'm reading your posts (and all the informative replies) with interest.

We have applied for Temp Contributory Parent, lodged January 2013 so we are a bit behind you. Sorry I can't give you any more input as we have only to date received an acknowledgement of our lodgement. Still, it's good to know we are on the same journey, and following Maudei and the others who have gone before! I am so grateful for all the advice and support on this forum. It's invaluable.

Can I also ask please Maudei and RichtB, once your visa is granted, how long do you have to activate it? I know I will probably want to leave the very next day, but we need to be real :)

Good luck with the job search Maudei. Keep reminding yourself it's early days and remember all you've achieved so far. I know it's not easy though, so sending you big hugs and positive thoughts!

J

Hi Jamie,

Our visas were granted on 6 Sep 2012. Our first initial entry (activation) date was on or before 17 Apr 2013. This is about 7 months.

We were fortunate, all things like selling the house and cars, furniture storage etc done. So we decided why hang around and left on 23 Oct 2012. What a journey/adventure so far!

May the waiting time be shorter than what you experience it as.

Hi Jamie

Thank you so much for the encouraging words... :)

I was given a week short of 7 months to arrive in Australia (to "activate" my visa).

Just realised how a big chunk of your wait is out of the way already.... Cannot wait to hear the exciting news when you get to hear from a Case Officer :)

Maudei x

We will pretty much be in the same position as you Maudie we will also be going over on a "wing and a prayer". Once visa's, bonds, air fares etc have been paid for, there will not be much left to start our new life in Oz, but everything would will be worth it just to be close to our children and grandchildren again.

I would like to know from anyone that has applied for the 173 Temporary Contributory Parent visa's, was the form 40 Assurance of Support included with the original application or was it called for later, also at what stage is the form 80 called for.

Have a great day.

Hi Alkie

The Assurance of Support is not included in the original application... The Case Office will advise when the application for AOS must be done. A the same time the form 80 is normally requested.

For some reason in my process I was asked for the AOS before my application was assigned to a Case Office and only a while later when a Case Office was assigned did I get asked for the form 80.

:)

• 1 month later...

VISA granted!! for my Mother-in-law. We received receipt of application 26th June 2012. Granted 25th November 2013. 17 months to get it. She must enter before 30 September 2014.

• Like 2

Great news Jordy.... congrats to your mum in-law.. there must be so much excitement and celebration going on.. well done...

• Like 1

Congratulations Jordy so pleased for you. I'm really hoping, (judging by your time line) it won't be too much longer before we

receive a case offer. Our Visa application was lodged 07 Aug 2012.

• Like 1

Wonderful Jordy! So happy for all of you. Your MIL must be over the moon.

We are 6 months behind you, so hopefully not long to wait now!

• 2 weeks later...

I was woundering if anyone has had any experience in getting their parents into Australia. I hear that it is very expensive to do $34,330 per a person just for medicare and takes 18 months. My parents do not hav this kind of money.

Any suggestions?

Rene

Renee it is expensive plus you still need to put in the $10 000 assurance figure, we are going to go the route of applying for a bridging visa and then go onto the aged parent visa which takes 15 years. The only problem is they don't qualify for pension or medicare for a very long time... The private medical aid for example Bupa - offers a top visitors cover for a single pensioner for $263 per month, which covers for everything - seems a lot cheaper than trying to find the $34 330 per person upfront. So maybe look at this option

Renee it is expensive plus you still need to put in the $10 000 assurance figure, we are going to go the route of applying for a bridging visa and then go onto the aged parent visa which takes 15 years. The only problem is they don't qualify for pension or medicare for a very long time... The private medical aid for example Bupa - offers a top visitors cover for a single pensioner for $263 per month, which covers for everything - seems a lot cheaper than trying to find the $34 330 per person upfront. So maybe look at this option

Rene made this post 4 years ago. Hopefully she has found the info she needs by now :)

Great news

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

Can anyone tell me if the visa application process has slowed down or what the problem is.

We applied and Acknowledged date of appication was the 07.08.2012. so we now 17months into the

process and we have not even been allocated a case officer yet. We are getting very disheartened

especially when I see others who applied after us moving along in the process and we seem to have

been fogotten. :closedeyes:

There is quite a good site called The CPV Tracker http://www.gainwave.co.uk/cpv/ It is not an official

tracking site, but very helpful in looking at other peoples timelines.

Alkie I think you should give them a ring and ask. You have been patient, maybe it's time to make sure everything is on track. I know the phone call will cost plenty, but it might be worth the peace of mind. Don't be afraid to ask. They are just human and they also make mistakes. Chances are good that it's all happening but they've forgotten to let you know what's happening. All the best, it will happen!

Thanks Bronwyn. I have been so tempted to phone them but I am worried they get annoyed and penalise us and make us wait longer.

We have nominated my daughter as our contact person and about 2 months ago she moved house and contacted them then

to make sure they had recieved the change of address and they confirmed that they had. They also confirm all e-mail addresses

and phone numbers were correct. When my daughter mentioned we were about 15 months into the process the lady said said

"oh so you should be coming up for an answer soon". (Whatever that means) Also when she was waiting for a consultant to answer

the call the recording stated the processing time is taking about 17 months. That is why I am getting so anxious as I presume 17 months

is the averge months till visa is granted.

It sounds like you are on track Alkie! I know the wait is absolute torture. I used to wake up at about 5am every day and just keep refreshing my screen, hoping an email would pop up. The day it actually popped up, I couldn't believe my own eyes. The words just jump around on the page and you can't breathe!! Nearly there.

But if you do phone, they won't hold your app back or anything like that. They will just do it when it's your turn. No worries.

• Like 1