Parents Visa

rene321

I suspect that between Centrelink and DIAC somebody did not do what they were suppose to do. Have sent the documentation (receipt from Commonwealth Bank etc) to agent in Brisbane, let's see what happens in July. New owner will be moving in by 31 Aug. We want to be moved out by 2nd last Friday in Aug, so I need the visa for the removal coy soon!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rich..wondering if you have heard anything yet?

Hi Miraclebabycaw,

No news yet on 2nd VAC payment. Hanging in there!

Shame that sucks big time. Hope it comes thru very soon. I know you are getting to the time you need to be going

We think the call for the 2nd VAC will happen in Aug. There is no rush. The house is sold, we move out end Aug and will stay with my sister untill end Oct when hopefully we can fly out with a one way ticket.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received request for 2nd and last VAC today! Will arrange the payment tomorrow (23 Aug). Looks like we will have visas before end of Aug 2012!

• Like 2

Great news Rich. Congrats...you will be on your way soon..pity you won't be able to make the Oct get together ;)

Second VAC payment was transferred today. Visa grant next week perhaps. Christmas with children and grandchildren - we are so looking forward to this!

• 2 weeks later...

Visas granted today - just received e-mail. Departing mid Oct 2012 - can't wait!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Tickets bought. Departing 23 Oct. So much admin still to do, farewell breakfasts, lunches, transferring funds, making sure that all financial t's are crossed and i's are dotted, closing bank accounts etc.

This journey started in 2005 when we were visiting our son and daughter in law. It picked up a bit of speed when our daughter and husband also emigrated to Oz. It really became a priority when we heard that two grand children were on their way last year.

All the major events like selling the house, getting visa grant, happened at the right time. I must admit that during the 19 month application period when nothing seems to happen, some frustration did occur. We are moving into the 2nd stage of an adventure of which we do not know how it will develop. Taking it day by day seems to be the only way.

To everyone still waiting on the outcome of their application, good luck.

• Like 1

Best of luck to you Richard. Am sure you are going to have an awesome life in oz. So much more for the older generation to do then over here. Enjoy the new chapter in your life!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm busy starting investigating visas for my mom and dad. They're about 50 years old and the current target is to come over for retirement in about 10 years or so (long story... if it were me I'd just go the CPV route and get the hell out of SA!).

Does anyone know if there's somewhere where I can see a timeline of people who have applied for non-CPV's? The one that's cheap but takes a long time to be granted? The DIAC mentions processing times of about 10 to 15 years but that's quite a bit of variation... is it closer to 10 or 15?

Edited by Donovan83

I'm busy starting investigating visas for my mom and dad. They're about 50 years old and the current target is to come over for retirement in about 10 years or so (long story... if it were me I'd just go the CPV route and get the hell out of SA!).

Does anyone know if there's somewhere where I can see a timeline of people who have applied for non-CPV's? The one that's cheap but takes a long time to be granted? The DIAC mentions processing times of about 10 to 15 years but that's quite a bit of variation... is it closer to 10 or 15?

Donovan there used to be a calculator on the Diac website where you could enter your application date or something & it worked it out for you. I'm not sure if that's still on there.

Btw how are you doing? Please give us a nice new Topic to read with all your Perth adventures and impressions.You're far too quiet!

Tickets bought. Departing 23 Oct. So much admin still to do, farewell breakfasts, lunches, transferring funds, making sure that all financial t's are crossed and i's are dotted, closing bank accounts etc.

This journey started in 2005 when we were visiting our son and daughter in law. It picked up a bit of speed when our daughter and husband also emigrated to Oz. It really became a priority when we heard that two grand children were on their way last year.

All the major events like selling the house, getting visa grant, happened at the right time. I must admit that during the 19 month application period when nothing seems to happen, some frustration did occur. We are moving into the 2nd stage of an adventure of which we do not know how it will develop. Taking it day by day seems to be the only way.

To everyone still waiting on the outcome of their application, good luck.

Rich I commend you for making the decision to join your family. I feel very frustrated with my own parents who refuse to consider a life outside SA, even with 7 grand children in Australia soon.

I know we cannot force anything, but I just think their fear is out of proportion to the benefits.

Ahhh well. What's that saying? Fortune favours the brave! ;)

Donovan it all seems dependent on a couple of factors. I have seen anything from 5 years to 10 years currently. I can't remember but I assume you have no siblings? we are going this route for my mother but will be doing it in country and using an immigration lawyer for the process for my mother (it's complicated with us so an agent won't do).

Hi all,

I am also looking into the options for parent visas. Is the immi.gov site still correct? Has the process changed after 1 July 2012, with skills select? Or are the parent visas still the same, same visa numbers etc?

I would also like to know more about the processing time. 10 years is alot!

Another question, how many South Africans have managed to get holiday visas without the 'no stay' clause, so that bridging visas might be an option?

And then with a bridging visa, are you allowed to work?

One more question.. my mom has a twin sister. She never married, has no kids, spends every weekend and holiday with us. She has 3 other sisters living in SA. Is there any hope for a visa for her? She is 62 and retired.

Thank you, any help will be appreciated.

Elmarie, the quicker option is a Contributory parental visa 143 which takes 18 months - 2 years but costs $52 000 ($10k of which you get back in 10 years time).

As for your mom's sister - no chance in my opinion.

Thanks Jordy.

I thought my mom's sister might struggle. She is much younger and healthier than her sisters who will stay in RSA. Perhaps one day, if she does end up being the last remaining relative, that would be the way. Sad to think along these lines, but facts are facts.

Thanks for your reply!

Elmarie,

Vist the immi.gov.au site as it contains info relevant to visas for parents. Download Booklet 3 (in Pdf format) it contains a plentiful info on parent migration. The applicable fact sheets to be found under Media is also worth a read. Form 990i (latest) will contain the cost per visa. I agree with Jordy, the subclass 143 visa is the quickest (18 to 24 months) but also more expensive and the applicant/s may not be in Aus when the visa is granted. Our application took 19 mnths from application submission to visa grant.

There is a queue calculator for parent visas https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/qcalc/QDateCalc.do

It does not tell you how long but rather the number of people in front of you in the queue.

It is not great news for people applying for the offshore parent visa. A recent question was raised in parliament and answered by the Minister.

There were 28948 visa (SC 103/804) applications in the pipeline as at Jan 2012 (a couple of months ago the calculator suggested this figure was then 24,820), with 2000 places available in the Parent category 2011-12.

Last year 2011-12 only 915 103 visas were granted.

In the pipeline means they have been placed in the queue, the answer to the parliamentary question gave an estimated time of 15 years after being placed in the queue. But the queue is dynamic it depends on the number of people that apply, withdraw etc as well as the quota that DIAC set for that category in any given year.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I am hoping that some of those who have gone through the process could help me. My in-laws briefly considered moving to Aus with us but decided not to as my FIL thought it would be too long to wait in the cheap queue (I agree) and too expensive to go with a CPV. IMHO he can afford it but he would rather be rich here than count the pennies in Aus. Unfortunately this has left my hubby choosing to stay here rather than leave his parents completely on their own (their daughter is already in Aus).

If we could find a viable way of earning money in Aus there may be some hope of changing my FIL's mind. His main earning is from his own business that my hubby now runs, but would be sold should we all move. This means that he would not have a great pension in Aus....especially with the rapidly declining Rand :glare: . How have other oldies managed to support themselves? He would be able to work a desk job but is not physically able to run a business that requires labour. I would love to hear how you guys are managing over in Aus.

• Like 1

We came over on the CPV in Oct 2012. How did we do it? Firstly you need to make up your mind that you want to emigrate from South Africa. Making this decision can take one day or it can take months, even years. We started talking about it in 2005. Making the decision is key, if you do not want to come don't bother.

Secondly proper/comprehensive financial planning. You can fund the cost for the CPV from the proceeds from the sale of property/business. Perhaps it is better to pay the visa application charges, household removal cost etc from savings. This is what we did. Doing it this way meant that the money from the sale of the house, selling of cars, lump sum and other sorces of revenue could be transferred to our bank account in Aus and re-invested. We allowed for enough (hopefully) funds to support ourselves for 12 months while I am looking for a job to supplement our pension (from RSA). Mid next year we hope to have completed the formal emigration process, so that we can have all our money in Aus - ("ver van jou goed is naby aan jou skade")

Thirdly, remain focussed on the objective. You may have to make a couple detours to reach the end goal. Accept the fact that you will not have the material goods in Aus that you had in South Africa. You will have to do things like ceaning the house, mowing the lawn, yourself - again

Lastly, patience, persistence, resourcefulness and flexibility is required. Approach it as a big adventure. We are doing it at age 64.

• Like 5

HI all,

thanks for this very important info. I would like to ask about this money we pay into centerlink- what is this for? I dont quite understand the reason for this money.

does this mean that the parents have access to healthcare during this time or would they still need private health insurance? does any of their costs come out of this money or will we get it all back after the 10years?

Thanks

T

I presume you are referring to the Assurance of Support (AoS), which is $10 000 for the main applicant and $4 000 for the, in our case, 2nd applicant. This will be used, should the visa holders require any social benefits. This bond is paid back in 10 years with interest. It has nothing to do with Medicare.

The 2nd VAC of plus minus $40k per person, for the contributory visa, is a contribution towards Medicare. Depending on the age and medical condition/requirements, private health insurance needs to be considered for dental and optics to name but two.

Visit www.immi.gov.au and obtain Booklet 3, this contains all info relevant to parent migration. There are fact sheets wich explains AoS as well as other aspects of parents visa types. You can find the fact sheets under Media on the site.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI All,

I have applied for a Contributory Parent Visa about 14 months ago. Recently I received a Preparation Letter, as they called it, from immigration, it was not from a Case Officer but they stated that they would be assigning a Case Officer in the next few months in time for the assessment of my application which should be around mid June this year. In the mean time they asked me to apply for my PCC, go do my Medical and arrange for my AOS to apply. I would need to keep the PCC until the Case Officer requests it in June.

My Question : Is it common practise to receive a Preparation Letter before a Case Officer has been assigned and to be requested these items? I thought I knew all of the processes of the Visa quite well and was just not expecting this particular Preparation letter inside of that process. I was expecting to be asked all of that by a Case Officer later. I am so grateful to be able to arrange all these items before the time so that it will speed up my Visa which I have been at this moment waiting 3 and a half years for. My heart goes out to everyone that is waiting too, it is not an easy wait, but it will be worth it when we do get there.

• Like 1