New beginnings...

Red

Never a dull moment in your life is there!! great read....pity you didnt have your camera to hand when Bern ate the chilli, that was a kodak moment if ever there was one.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanx Billabong - your poem worked !!

Another enjoyable read Red.

Your work mates sound like heaps of fun.

Isnt it amazing how whenever we want to make a quick exit - we always end up having a great time ? So you'll most likely have a blast at the 40th.

What about getting one of those nice embroided tracksuits to keep warm ??

What about getting one of those nice embroided tracksuits to keep warm ??

I'm thinking about it Lyn... it's starting to get reeeeeeeeeeally chilly... 10 degrees on the way to work this morning!

Another superb account of day to day life in Oz. Thank you sweet Red. You really do make it all sound so "colourful".

Till next time eh!

Thanks Red... I think your Journal should become a book......

Glad you feeling better.... Thanks for the encouragement as I go thru a really bad time.....

I think our minds are headed in the RIGHT direction!!!

Love K

Yay, thanks for the latest entry Red!

I have these mental images of what everyone must look like, lol.

Thanks again for sharing your Aussie experience with us! :)

If there’s one thing that used to irritate me, it was those downright annoying people calling from call centre’s, wasting my name, costing me cash and putting themselves first.

You know those people I’m talking about…

Hello… may I speak to the lady or gentleman of the house?

Hello… is this Mrs or Mr. so and so?…

Hello, this is so and so calling from such and such a company…

Ugh…

Working at call centre central feels like I’ve been reincarnated and brought back to a life whereby I’m paying back for all the horror I’ve inflicted on those poor Call centre people in my past life. Take for example; a few months back I received a call from a sickly sweet lady that wanted to sell me a cell phone contract of some sort. The whole conversation revolved around the fact that if I took out this contract I would be in line to win about R10, 000 cash.

What I did to this poor woman was and still is, totally inexcusable.

After her opening rehearsed line I shrieked in her ear with absolute delight that I had in fact won the cash and questioned her as to when I could expect my prize… And the more this poor woman tried to explain that I only had a CHANCE at winning the ten thousand, the more I shrieked back in her ear…. And so it went on for about five minutes, until it came to her closing line… Would you like to take out the contract… and I said back in the calmest tone… Sorry love, I’m off to Australia.

Like I said, its payback time and now I’m on the other end of the phonecall…

Hello, this is now Kirsten the call centre operator, phoning from XYZ society, can I speak to Mr. or Mrs so and so?

It’s really bad… really, really bad…

Firstly, how do you pronounce surnames like …

Zichy-Woinarski , Wyselaskie and SemcZuk.

Worst are the ones that I would normally pronounce with Afrikaans in mind…

Wanganeen, Lange, Langman, Van de Welde…

Secondly there are certain names that get me giggling…

Hello, may I speak to Mr. Snodgrass, Mr. Kock, Mrs Lilliecrap, Mr Sickerdick, Mrs Virgin, Mr Suck… it’s awful, and as much as I know that these are people’s names and not some sick joke, I can’t help myself. I mean can you just imagine if your name was Andrew, and you were blessed with some of those names…

A. Kock…

A. Virgin…

What about having the name of Irene…

I. Suck…

I really could go on, but perhaps the amusement is just the childlike side of me, making something funny that perhaps isn’t really at all!

I still hear all the excuses, and yet I battle to understand people’s logic. Please people if you get a phonecall from a call centre, be upfront and honest. Don’t be rude and stop the lying, for my sake please! There’s nothing worse than being on the end of a half baked story…

‘Sorry I can’t help, I’ve just, this minute given to the blind’…

(What? I’ve been talking to you for about 5 minutes?)

‘Sorry, I can’t help; I’ve got heaps of tickets sitting in front of me already’

(Ah yeah, and what charities are those for mate?)

‘Sorry I can’t help, I’ve just been at the dentist’

(What’s that got to do with me, do you want a ticket or not?)

But then, sometimes as call centre operator we do get our own back, especially to these responses…

‘Sorry, I won’t help THIS time, I ALWAYS do, but just not THIS time’…

(Ah, that’s strange, my records show you haven’t been a supporter for over three years now, are you SURE you don’t want to buy ticket)?

‘Ah, no sorry I actually brought a ticket from your charity last week’

(mmm…. That’s really odd Sir, as I am the only one here scheduled to call you… what colour was that ticket you bought)?

‘Not today love, maybe next time’…

(Sure, I’ll give you a call tomorrow and see how you’re doing)

‘I don’t buy lottery tickets over the phone’

(Are you sure that’s you Mrs Jones, my records show you bought tickets, over the phone, back in 2006, 2007 AND 2008)…

So now you’re probably thinking there goes that irritating call centre girl… and it’s true I know… but I just wish people were more honest. I love it when I get someone on the phone that says … ‘Thanks for the call, but I really am not interested’…

Instead, I phone people and even though I’ve heard the husband shouting in the background, his wife proceeds to tell me he’s not at home. Or better yet, you phone the house and ask to speak to Jim, and when Jim gets to the phone he says I’ve got the wrong number.

The best has to be those people who don’t have the decency to say ‘Thanks, but no thanks’, and slam the phone down on you mid sentence… grrr… I wish I could phone them back.

Phone them back and say, this is my job… this is how I earn money for a living… I do not choose to call and harass you but this is what my boss has told me to do, and until you give me a decent enough answer, I will harass you every day all day long…

Alas… I can’t, and when the phone gets slammed down in my ear, I grit my teeth and start dialing the next one, and the next one… and the next one.

I must say that I have spoken to the most wonderful people over the phone. People that have treated me with respect and kindness, people that have not only given their money but their compassion too.

I am learning so much about life working in the call centre.

Seeing all our patients in wheelchairs and walkers, young and old, I know that in my small way sticking this out is making me a stronger and wiser person. If I can earn money, and make a difference in someone’s life, well then Australia… brace yourselves… There’s a friendly South African call centre girl that’s probably got your number, and she’s going to be dialing it.

You might not have money to give, but do give her two minutes of your time… because you’ll be guaranteed to have laugh and a smile and of course ALWAYS thanked for your time…

Aaaah, Red !!!! At last, I was starving for another installment - thanks, girl - for your time to write to us again !!

You are doing great I think!

I always feel so bad telling people no, but we made it a policy not to buy anything over the phone. I once had a long chat with the one guy after explaining that we were emigrating. Poor guy, he really had longing in his voice. He wanted to leave too. I think call centre work is an EXTREMELY hard job. I would not be very good at it, as much as I can talk :thumbdown:

You are doing a good job and maybe you are getting 'paid back' for those calls you received back home, but put it down to local experience and about learning something new each day.

and remember..... you are working for a charity.

So good on you mate :thumbdown:

i really take my hat off to you for doing this kind of work

i get really HUFFY :thumbdown: when i phone for money and get told no (and thats my own husband turning me down :lol: )

it takes a special kind of person to do your job and u sound perfect for it !!!!

It definately takes balls to cold call and ask for donations. I dont think I could do it - would end up taking things personally !!

Now that the shoe is on the other foot you realise just how tough a job it is. But thats what life is all about - getting out of the comfort zone, learning new things and making new beginnings. You're an inspiration Red.

May your new beginnings in Australia be full of blessings and heaps of happiness.

Hey Red,

You're doing a fab job, regardless how people reply to you over the phone. You help people by doing your job, which is more than most people can say.

I was babysitting the neighbour's kids while staying in the US once and it was the notorious 2000 / 2001 elections. Their phone rang so I answered it and this man in a heavy Texan drawl starts hammering on and on about the Republican party and how great they are etc. and I just can't get a word in edgeways. Right at the end he asks if I'm going to vote for them, so I had to say sorry, I'm South Africa, I'm not allowed to vote. There was an awkward silence, and then he laughed. We ended up talking about what I'm doing in the US, what Texas is like and a whole bunch of things before he finally rang off.

Red,

I only started reading your journal yesterday..... I could not stop and read EVERY WORD!!!!

I enjoyed it sooooo much!

Thank You.

HAPPY 6 MONTH IN AUS ANNIVERSARY K :)

You've done so much in such a short time. Heres to another 6 months of New Beginnings

Edited by Lyn

HAPPY 6 MONTH IN AUS ANNIVERSARY K :ilikeit:

HAPPY 6 MONTH IN AUS ANNIVERSARY TO YOU TOO, L!!!!!!! :ilikeit:

Can you believe it... that's half a year!!!! I wish we could have lived just as close as we did back in RSA...

Red...I cannot believe the lies and excuses we tell in order to avoid sounding bad... I used to do the same..."I gave last time", "Wrong number", etc....

I woke up one day and thought to myself...just be honest. So now if I get a call for a cellphone contract or carpet cleaning or timeshare...the answer is always the same.. "Thanks for the call but I am not interested".

Good luck and keep up the with the stories of Life Down Under....

6 months.....WOW!! And it felt like yesterday when we first met you at Burgess!!!

Can't believe it's been 6 months already!

What a journey it's been!

Hi Red, I was just wondering how is your cat doing?

Hi Red, I was just wondering how is your cat doing?

He's doing great... He's a terror though (in the cutest of ways)... will update fairly soon... :lol:

It’s been an emotionally trying week to say the least. We’ve launched our new $50 fundraising drive and spent the entire week cold calling… 5 hours a day of utter rejection and lame excuses. I’ve heard them all, and I can’t even bring myself to repeat them.

On top of it all, I’ve really been battling to meet my required sales target and feelings of doubt quickly crept in. With so much talk of worldwide recession I had a heavy heart and decided to approach my supervisor, Shelley.

Shelley assured me, that all was ok and that she was suitably impressed with my performance thus far.

I tried to relax but even after exceeding my required quota, I just couldn’t shake the sinking feeling. Something, just didn’t feel right.

I now know why.

Today started out like any other day…Calls, lunch and then more calls. None of us had realised what was going on and by the time I looked up 3 minutes before shift ended, I saw Molly dashing for the door.

And as I was about to question why she was leaving 5 minutes early, I saw the tears in her eyes as she shouted back… ‘See ya girls… won’t be back… I just got the sack’

I didn’t need anyone to explain… they’d got rid of Molly, my dear unfortunate friend Molly.

And within minutes, I realised that two other ladies (Lyn and Lynne) were packing their bags too…

I was shattered…. And didn’t want to move from my desk.

I was the immigrant… and they were the Aussies. Would they wonder why it hadn’t been me, instead of them? I felt ashamed to say the least and discreetly packed away.

When I looked up I saw all my friends, and realised that I was just as much part of the team as they were and sheepishly went to say my farewell’s to the two Lyn/ne’s…It was awful… but not as heartbreaking as when I later found Molly sobbing in her car.

Sarah and I felt gutted, knowing that the theory of last in, first out hadn’t applied in the company’s decision. Nothing we could say made it any better. We just all stood there crying.

Partly because I knew my head might be on the chopping block next, but mostly because I felt like I was losing a friend. One of my first Aussie friends… My crazy friend Molly.

We all have that crazy friend… you know the one that always has a good joke, and the one that always has a smile… The one that calls your mobile from the call centre phone, and then promptly asks why you’re answering your mobile during office hours.

The one that shoots back tequila, swears like a trooper and has a heart as big as ever…. I’m really going to miss Molly. And I’m certainly not looking forward to Monday at the office.

Sarah sent me a text after work that read ‘Don’t stress too much mate, us three will be friends forever’…

June 10th is the end of my probation period… June 11th is Bern’s birthday… I’m hoping we’ll be celebrating two things on June the 11th… A birthday and keeping my job…

I am a firm believer that if one door closes, another one opens. I love new beginnings, and I’ll embrace whatever comes my way… Good or bad, I’ll make it work for me. Just as Bern has made it work for him. April and May have been hard for his company too. A lack of orders forced his employer to reduce working hours… and retrench six of Bern’s co-workers.

He too, felt like the immigrant… and he too escaped the last in, first out theory.

It helps to know that we’ve both experienced it and it really isn’t easy. It does weigh heavy on the heart, but it’s important for us to remember that life does go on.

One door closes and another opens.

And one door that is getting closed far too often is my front door! We’ve been spending way too much time exploring great South Australia that our house looks like it has been hit by a whirlwind and then blasted by a pound of dynamite. We have piles and piles of washing to do, dishes to wash, carpets to vacuum and floors to mop… But the great South Australian roads have been calling our names…

And we have been returning their calls! Autumn is well and truly here with spectacular sprinklings of yellow, red and orange… it’s just awesome.

So awesome, that we’re already planning or next drive….

Now if I could just get all that washing done…

Wow, Red, I'm a little bit speechless - you are really and truly blessed to both keep your jobs. Seems like your'e supernaturally being cared for !! Enjoy that wonderful great outdoors - life is just that long and a house anyways never stays clean ! Regarding washing: I understand there's services that will wash and iron for you ??? Then you have your time free to live !!

Thank you so much for yet another great piece of the story ...

Aaaaw Red, I have been thinking of you so much since I saw you saying you were not going to be facebooking too much. I was worried maybe something was wrong... Glad it has all turned out ok for you. You have been rewarded for your commitment, dedication and good work. Nothing to feel bad about!! Here's a great big hug! :unsure::);)

Thanks for sharing Red, love to read your journal.

enjoy your weekend, I also have housework calling me, in fact it is shouting at me, but I am not going anywhere and neither is the work, soo....... have a good weekend.

Jill