New beginnings...

Red

By now, you all know I love new beginnings... not only for myself but for others too...

In April, we happened to drive past a whole bunch of 'hard rubbish' sitting out on someone's verge. In amongst the "rubbish" was a neglected rusty little scooter... Bern and I screeched to a halt, and asked the homeowner if the scooter was for the taking, and it was...

It was a mess, rusted and unloved... rotten tyres, ceased bearings and cables... cobwebbed and covered in mud... I don't know what we were thinking...until today, when Bern finished off the project...

See for yourself...

This is the start of the process... tired and rusted, but at least a little cleaner...

DSC05140.jpg

Sanded down and ready for the spray...

DSC07344.jpg

Start of the spraying process...

DSC07347.jpg

The end result, a gorgeous little scooter, appropriately named Bumblebee by a very happy Rebecca...

DSC07399.jpg

I guess the moral of the story is that everyone deserves a second chance...

Edited by Red

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done Red... That looks amazing.

Sorry about the trauma at work.... I can imagine how difficult it must be for you.

Thanks for your continued support and encouragement.

Love K

WOW! Very nice job! Well done on Bumblebee!

Sorry to hear about Molly - sounds like my twin sister!

Wow Red, my heart really goes out to those girls, and you, it's not easy working in such an environment.

Wow, Bern is quite the DIY-er, very impressed...how's he with furniture, have a bed that requires some tlc :D

Oh, Bumblebee is lovely ! You lucky girl, Rebecca !

Love the scooter! I envy you your skills with your hands :D I am glad things are going so well for you. You are motivating me to try harder.

Hi Red

That little scooter looks wonderful, sorry to read about your friends having to leave. Hope Monday turns out good for you.

Blessings

Hey sweetpea... Sorry about the drama at work, it's very sad to see people being released from their positions, and all the more so when they are mates.

Bumblebee is too beautiful for words! Your man is so clever! And Becca is one lucky girl!

Thanks for the pics!!!

oh No - thats just aweful news - Hows Molly been ??

The economy is not looking so rosey at the mo for loads of people - the old guy I chat to at Salvos was telling me that in all his years of working there he hadnt seen so many people asking for assistance - its tough for alot of Australians. So sad. Must say it does worry me enormously too - especially on one salary.

We can all just try and stay positive in these challenging times.

B has given that scooter a wonderful makeover - he's quite the handman hey ? - Becca must love riding Bumblebee by the seaside !

Take care K,

So we’re standing in the middle of JB Hi-Fi this morning staring at some spectacular wide screen TV and enjoying the awesome sound blasting through the surround sound, when a keen salesman heads our way.

‘Hiya, how-are-ya-going… canna-help-with-anything’? he says.

‘Just browsing thanks, we’ll give you a shout if we need anything’… Bern replied with the distinct South African accent.

Surprisingly, the salesman walked away with a smile on his face. Had I perhaps missed something?

And as we stood, still admiring the awesomeness of the sound system, the salesman proceeded to skip through a couple of songs… and stop on one, rather recognizable tune.

Africa, by Toto.

That familiar sound sent shivers… and those well-known words took me back to a place far, far away.

…’ Its gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

Theres nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

I bless the rains down in Africa

Gonna take some time to do the things we never had’…

And for a couple of seconds, I felt a kind of nostalgia for Africa, that song has a wonderful way of evoking all the good happy feelings… Castle ad’s with mates and boerewors… biltong and braai’s… world cup rugby and championship times. I stood there…

… and stood there… and stood there.

I eventually managed to pull myself away, and have a good laugh about it with Bern… but it’s left me thinking about Africa for most of the day.

Africa and all its beauty.

Africa and all it has to offer… the mountains and the sea… the flora and the fauna…

The familiar faces and familiar places.

The thing is though, Africa… is a place. It is not who I was or who I am.

My ancestors were not African… and my descendants might not be Australian…

All I know is that I was born and raised in a beautiful country but will be able to raise my own child in a country that can offer more than beauty alone.

I might have deep roots in Africa, but in Australia my ‘roots’ are spreading far and wide.

I no longer look at a Eucalyptus or Gum tree like it’s an alien invader. I see them as majestic proud trees with stories to tell. The land is not flat and dry. There are so many surprises in this beautiful place.

Being able to watch a sunset in complete safety, ride a bike in the city, catch a bus, walk alone… are just some of the many reasons I am happy and privileged to call this place home.

truly captivating...while reading your post I could actually hear Toto singing Africa....

someone else in another thread said something along the lines of she's blaming SA for "making" us leave. I agree, nowhere else will you get the big 5 etc, but circumstance, people, actions, policies MAKE us leave this beautiful place

But I agree Red - Oz has other things, we just need to reach out to it

Red !! You almost had me in tears, now ! I guess the sentiment towards all that was good in Africa will always be with us. No one can take good times and good memories away from us. It all is woven into our beings. I catch myself sometimes that I'm actually LOOKING for the less admirable, less beautifull (too easy to find, these days) in Africa, to assist my own uprooting here. Maybe it's a way of trying to make the actual uprooting easier some day.

You are doing very well, being able to admire and assimilate what is good there and simultaneously remember the positive and beautiful of Africa. Good on you !

PS: I noticed you said: 'Castle ads with mates and boerewors - getting 'into it', hey ?? It's all good, all good !

Take care

You will have me thinkin about Africa for the rest of the day as well. That song is very uplifting, not sure how I would've reacted to it but think it would have been all good. Africa has an untamed beauty that once it is in your heart can never be forgotten despite the negatives. Thanks for a good start to my day, with a lovely memory.

Susan

been away from home 2 years and still cant listen to that song - let alone watch it on a big screen !!!

Really wanted to go to the Johnny Clegg show but again ....would have stirred up too much . :)

Africa will always be home but .... we are all lucky to have found this wonderful place called Australia to lay our hats and hearts down

I salute you Red. You have got EXACTLY what it takes. - Well done. No matter what life throws your way, you will survive.

PS I LOVE YOUR JOURNAL. :)

Know what you mean, almost in aussie, there was a children's choir from Africa performing here, all he kids from the school went and they asked for parent helpers, I couldn't put my name down and am glad I didn't someone else we know went and hey have been here longer and she said the one song where they ang of "Jesu" had her in tears and I know I would have been finished. Not ready yet for that confrontation, perhaps soon, just not yet. Oh well Africa will always be in my heart.

Susan

The beauty of Australia... taken in the last couple of weeks...

DSC06678.jpg

DSC07007.jpg

DSC07431.jpg

DSC07556.jpg

These are fantastic photos! You must really keep watching the Hero thread on the Canon competition. Maybe something will come up as topic that will fit the yacht photo. That is a FANTASTIC photo!

Fantastic photos!

Oh no, now I've got that Toto song stuck in my head! Going to be humming it all night :lol:

Stunning photo's Red! Seems we've got some very talented people on this forum...poets...photographers... <_<

Stunning Pic's Red! Loved the Journal entry, I'm still here and you had me feeling a little home sick!!!!Whats that about???? <_<

Oooohhh, I just LOOOOVVVEEE that autumn pic ! Keep them for your book, Red ! It's amazing.

I absolutely love that song, we often play it and sometimes I also feel I can't listen to it, makes me sad and other times it makes me happy, I love to play it in the car, turn it up loud and just let it soak into me.

Thanks for sharing Red.

Red, I have to agree with Polly - that photograph of the yacht is a winner!