New beginnings...

Red

K, thanx so much for letting us know this - read yesterday under another post that she had decided to leave and was so disappointed.

This is the best news Ive had all day !!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yayyyyyy!!!! We are happy happy happy, so happy happy!!!!

She's was my firend with out a face - not literaaly of course. Just felt like I clicked with her, even though we have never met.

Thanks for letting us know K.

Lol, yes, I tend to forget people have lives besides the Forum.

But am so glad she's not gone from the forum forever, I need my "new beginnings" fix! :thumbdown:

I absoultely feel the same as you... we all miss her!! She is just the best!

K

Plenty of news to tell… just wanted to post something for some dear friends that have been sending me messages and of course dedicated to my dear friend Lyn that had a ‘little whine’… :lol:

Just when I thought I was settled and into the ‘swing of things’ I decide to embark on yet another new beginning. A couple of years back I was this fit and healthy spin instructor… a couple of years on I’ve managed to convince everyone around me that “emigration made me fatâ€â€¦ the worst part is, is that I’ve even managed to convince myself!

So along with procrastination by my side, I decide to phone the gym… only as you may well know, you never get a straight answer about gym fees, until you actually visit with a sales consultant that manages to give you the “best deal you’re ever going to getâ€! And so, after follow up phone call after follow up phonecall from the hyper sales lady, Bern managed to get me into the car and drag me into the gym… The worst part though, is that I signed a contract… and that’s probably about when my ‘because I’m fat’ excuses flew out the window. I was even more amazed that even though we didn’t have our debiting details to give to the gym, they happily phoned the bank on our behalf and got the details they needed. There was just no way of getting out of it!

A tour of the gym proved to be something stressful… All these lean and toned bodies seemed to have their eyes fixed on a goal that I had long forgotten. If I had felt stressed before, well then after the tour I needed to find some comfort carbs to ease my sickened soul!

I shouldn’t have looked into the spinning room… especially when I saw “Amazon Annie†on the instructor’s bike. With arms the size of an ape and a glare to make any army instructor proud I soon realised that the loud thumping wasn’t the music at all, but instead my loudly beating heart.

This was not going to be easy… and it wasn’t proving easy for Bern to get me back to the gym.

It was on a Monday that I decided I would go… decided that I would pluck up the courage and face one of the “Amazon Annie’sâ€.

With temp’s below 10 degrees, it wasn’t an easy task pulling on cycling gear and in true feminine style, I decided to have a wobble about what to wear.

The pants were easy. I had no choice but to wear cycling shorts… I knew I was going to need that padded comfort on my rear… the only problem was, well… everything else!

What top… a cycling one? Nah… perhaps I might look like one of those fashion victims trying to “fit inâ€

mmm… what about a little T-Shirt? Nah… after my third attempt I realised that any shirt was going to show my weakness for carbs and calorie consumption. And then Bern, did the worst thing imaginable… right in the middle of my ‘what to wear wobbles’ he suggested, that perhaps I wear one of his shirts?!

What!!! Was he insane!!! I mean, how could he expect me to go out in public wearing a big baggy shirt…

Until, well… I tried it on… and noticed that it neatly covered a few weaknesses for calorie consumption!

It’s quite funny really how much I worked myself up about this first gym episode. Much like starting a new job and learning the new culture, gyms as many of you know seem to breed a culture of their own. I was used to the gyms back in Durban. I was the instructor, I worried about no one and no one worried me. I do however remember when people joined me for one of my spinning classes… I could always spot the newbie… They were likely to be one of the first in, and the first out… usually they headed straight for the back of the class with a face a shade lighter than normal…they also had a tendency to stare blankly whilst sucking every drop out of a water bottle before the class had even begun… well before they really needed any real hydration!

Twenty minutes before my first Australian spinning class my wobble began to worsen.

Do I wear cycling shoes that clip in? Can I walk around the gym in cycling shoes? If I take a bag where will I put it? Should I take a bag even? What if I wear my takkies and just take my cycling shoes? Then I need a bag… But do I then have to use a locker?

And before I knew it I had arrived at the torture house wearing my takkies and carrying no baggage…

Swiped in at the front desk and headed up stairs. The door was closed… I pushed it open.

Everyone looked at me, and I headed for the back of the room in true newbie style.

Another newbie took a seat next to me; I could spot her from a mile. My guess was confirmed when the instructor asked if anyone was there for the first time. Both of us stuck our hands in the air...

When the music began, I realised I felt at home… it was going to be ok. New country, new gym… it was all good… and most importantly, I was going to be ok!

Or so I thought…

The problem is, and I know I’ve mentioned it before… but it is really chilly here in Adelaide.

Winter in Adelaide from a Durbanite’s perspective could best be summed up in the following three words…. Freezing, Frosty and Flippencold. Needless to say, getting home from work and getting cosy by a heater doesn’t bode well for the gym session that should be taking place…. Rather a tracksuit, and scarf, and gloves, and jacket, and blanket with heater are so much more inviting!

We still manage to get out and do all our exploring around our beautiful new country on the weekends, but that’s done from the comfort of a nicely heated car. I am always amazed at the beauty this country has to offer. I had somehow imagined a rather arid looking country, with a flat boring landscape.

I have been proven terribly wrong time and time again, and every time I think I have seen the most beautiful place, I get surprised yet again!

Our exploring has taken on a fairly new dimension… no longer will we only be exploring land, but we’ll be exploring the rivers and sea too!! A few weeks back, we made an exciting purchase of two kayaks. Everyone of course asking why buy kayaks in Winter? Simple of course, no one wants to paddle in Winter… makes for the best bargain around! The only problem is, is that we really want to get out and kayak… we’re desperate! So for the past few weekends, we’ve searched high and low for appropriate winter paddling apparel. The cheap winter kayak bargain has turned out to be a rather pricey buy!

But, in a way it makes Winter a little more bearable….

A little less cold, and a lot more inviting.

Till the next time… take care!

Helllooooooooooooooooooo....glad to have you back - missed the updates! And WOW! Now I have no excuse not to join the gym (hhhmmmmmmmmmmm)....

Liesl

Welcome back Red, you were sorely missed girl! Now I guess I had better start exersizing as well - put on a about 5 kgs from "stress eating" these past 6 months.

Ooohhhhhh, wowwww !!! Absolutely wonderful to have you back ! I couldn't get the kids into bed quick enough to make myself comfortable at the PC for yet another very welcome read of 'New beginnings'.... It feels like chocolate together with coffee in front of the fireplace and wonderful company.

Thanks Red, we've sorely missed you !! :ph34r:

Hello Red. Great to have you back!!

What are the Oz gym costs like and do you need to pay extra for spinning classes? I used to spin a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I am putting on the kilos now and will definitely need to join gym in Oz. We booked our flights Red...30th Sept!! Can you believe it?? Our house is sold. Bond approved so all moving along!!!

Lotsa Love

K

Hi Red,

So glad to have you back, as you can see you have been MISSED.

I also need to join a gym or something!!!!! Last year I joined Curves, but they have closed down now, find the other gyms very costly, so am doing nothing at the moment, not good.

Like you say, it is really cold now and hard to motivate myself, can you hear all my excuses??????????

Jill

YAHOO ! :)B)B)

Thank you Thank you.

You are a brave girl heading into that environment - gyms and I dont get along - hence the size of my behind. Waiting for summer to start eating leaves again. Too darn cold to eat anything else but hot steaming carbs !

I know how much you loved spinning in the past and its just a matter of time before you're hooked and toned ! Must also be great stress relief.

Happy kayaking - ive always wanted to paddle / row - Im so jealous !

Now dont disappear again for such long spells please - we missed you !

Thanks so much for your latest update Red!

I'm so sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at your wobbly, because, you see, I had one last week! Went for a run for the first time in absolute ages and I couldn't find a top to wear to cover my lumps and bumps. Also, it was cold. So hubby suggested I wear one of his long sleeve running tops. I was absolutely horrified until I had it on, and it fit perfectly. Covered everything nicely!

Hope you have a great week and let us know when you go for a kayak!

Hi Red,

I'm really glad to see another post from you. I really enjoy your journal, and it's a sneak peek at life in Adelaide for me and others. I hope you enjoy the gym. Keep writing!

Hi Red

There's nothing quite like those endorphins rushing through your bloodstream for that "lekker" feeling! Half the battle of exercising in winter is just getting out the door, but once the blood starts pumping, you're so glad you did it.

Enjoy the ride!

BevF

• 3 weeks later...

Please Red write something!!!!!.

I am halfway to convincing hubby to move to South Australia and need some more reasons to move there.

Pretty Please!!!!

Hestie

We want Red, We want Red, We want Red, please keep writing, really helps me with my Australian journey, reading about yours, Red.

I have so much to write about that I don't know where to start! :blush:

Promise to post it ALL soon... and then you'll all be complaining I write too much :whome:

Red - we wait with bated breath!!!!............................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

............................C'mon - where is it?................................................................................

.............................................................................And???

Hello stranger !!! Im so looking forward to reading all you've been up to. Please dont keep us in suspense for too long -

You can NEVER EVER write too much, :whome:

Waiting .............................

We will never complain you write too much!

Can't wait for the next instalment! :whome:

Phew, at least you didn't vanish from the face of the earth ....

I haven't been on the forum for an age and I'm glad I did today as I love your spinning story. I used to spin twice a week (for about 8 years) but the place closed down. Everytime I go to Virgin I look at the spinning class but haven't yet done a class - must be a year now!

Nice to hear from you again.

Sharon xxx

Fingers tapping on the desk, :) waiting, trying to be patient, what's happening Red, I am definitely in withdrawl mode now, please give us a "new beginnings" fix. :hug:

Jill