New beginnings...

Red

You won't blieve, after all the talk of that song from the tim I woke in the morning, I get in my car and am driving to work last night and that song came on, I couldn't believe it. It was quite emotional actually but turned up the volume and sang along. Photographs are beautiful.

Enjoy your day.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yooohooo, Reeeedddd !!!!???? Where feeling deprived ! Hope your'e well ?

The wonderful part about being a parent is that you get to watch some fantastic kiddy movies. A couple of year’s back I became the number one fan of a little bird. He goes by the name of Chicken Little.

Poor Chicken Little… his self esteem is pretty much nonexistent and his poor emotions are continually tried and tested. However, with any good story – there’s something to learn.

What I learnt, thanks to Mr C. Little… is that “Today, is a new dayâ€. If he can make it… well then, so can I.

No matter what yesterday brought into my life, I continually have to focus that today, this day, right here and right now is the start of something new.

And I love new beginnings.

The good news is that I managed to make it through my probation period. The bad news is that if the newly appointed General Manager (the CEO got the boot) doesn’t get the company back into shape within 12 weeks, they close the doors and we ALL lose our jobs.

12 weeks.

60 working days to cut the fat.

It’s like I’m in the reality show ‘Survivor’… only instead of 30 odd days to survive, I’ve got 60 days until my’ tribe has spoken’. The worst part is that this kind of thing brings out the worst in people.

Whispering and gossiping have become the norm. Outbursts in the call centre have become somewhat frequent… and it’s left me feeling a little down. It’s hard to wake up on a cold winter’s morning when you know what kind of day is going to be facing you. It’s hard to know that no matter how hard you try… unless the team pulls together, you’re fighting a losing battle. It’s hard being one of the only two casual staff members.

It’s even worse when you’re the immigrant, and the other’s an Aussie.

What I have failed to mention though, is that during times like these it does also bring out the best in other people. Those who are willing to go the extra mile.

Those that don’t bother with the small picture, the gossiping, the whining, the nagging… those that know, just like I do, that today is a new day.

To go to work and get the job done. To go to work and fight the fight. To convince people that by buying a ticket in some lottery, is actually making a difference to thousands of people.

The strange thing is that when people used to buy tickets, I always thought about the clients we were raising funds for, and the good it was doing. Now, when they buy a ticket I say a very sincere thank you… because they aren’t just helping strangers… they’re helping me. They’re keeping my tribe from extinguishing my flame just that little bit longer.

Weekends have been welcomed with open arms. Weekends with my wonderful family and that gorgeous car, Homer. Homer is a great change from dear ol’ Mitsi.

She nearly got left on the side of the road two weeks back. Couldn’t figure out what was going on with her… and after I stalled for the fifth time one afternoon. I decided I’d had enough. I stopped on the side of a road and debated whether walking would get me home quicker. How badly I wanted get out the car and kick her door in… even further than some stranger kindly did a few months back when we were still in council housing. How badly I wanted to find a match and flick it her way. I’d had enough!

Enough of stalling, enough of a car that could only get up to 25kph (no matter how flat the foot was on the accelerator), enough of the car that left a bigger carbon footprint than China alone. My poor husband must have felt desperate when I called him and told him of my troubles. Any man knows that they’re only happy when the wife is happy… and I was miserable!

He came home that evening appearing as a knight in shining lumo safety apparel with a box full of goodies, four new spark plugs and a spark plug spanner. And with some kind of magic, he turned my misfiring pumpkin back into my coach. I knew with one little rev of the engine, she was going to be alright. Life was going to be ok… and I wouldn’t have to ride my bike.

Until a couple days later, leaving late for work I discovered much to my annoyance I had left her keys in Homer’s cubbyhole. And Homer was sitting 30 minutes away with Bernard at work. And just as I was applying necessary headgear to ride to work, my knight in shining lumo safety apparel appeared again. This time with keys in hand.

I am a lucky girl… but didn’t feel as lucky when I woke the next morning to find the dear Mitsi with a flat back tyre… I had visions of flicking that match again. I rode to work that day.

She’s doing ok, the poor ol’ gal… but her latest stunt is really bothersome. She’s decided that a working speedometer is no longer necessary. So, every morning I have to judge my speed on those around me… I just try not judge my speed against any local hoons.

Thankfully, Homer has been doing us proud and has managed to take us to the most extraordinary places. The funny thing about Adelaide is that wherever you drive, somehow… you always manage to come right back to where you first started. Or just when you think you’re finally completely lost, you go past that same landmark you went past an hour and a half earlier… and then an hour later, you pass that same silly landmark again! We’ve visited the world’s largest rocking horse, been to the whispering wall, walked the Botanic gardens, viewed paddleboats and ferry’s, we’ve spent time in the hills and at the beach… and yet there is still so much more to do…

But, not until we’ve sorted out the house for the 3 month routine inspection. This is when our friendly rental agent comes to check that we have been looking after the place, and not treating it like pigs in a sty. There are a couple of things we need to sort out. First on the list is that bright yellow spray paint that managed to miss the newspaper and land on the courtyard floor. Second, would probably be to lay all the newly bought rugs over those stained mint green carpets.

The joy of a pale carpet and an eight year old.

Luckily, the weather hasn’t been spectacular, and it was easier than normal to put off more driving for a better weathered weekend. We get given an extensive list of what needs to be done. Cobwebs and corners… it’s all in the list!

But tomorrow will be a new day, and we’ll get it all done then.

Till the next time, take care.

Wow, girl - you're certainly have a really fully lived life down under - everything imaginable to colour your lives. I can sooooo relate with all that irritating little niusances cluttering your days and tapping your energy. It's only by 'zooming out' and getting perspective, that we regain balance. You're still you, you're healthy, you have a great family. Your job insecurity doesn't threaten your family's survival. You're still welcome in Oz. Etc, etc, etc.

Nice to have you back and thank you for a pleasant read, even though you mostly vented ! It's all good, in the end: the ups and downs that make your stories real and honest and enjoyable.

Bless you !

Love your story :) My sympathies with the car. I am driving a big ol' tank. She has been very dependable so far, but I do wish they would make a little extra space in the parking bays at tourist spots. Her bum is big... she needs more space to turn (maybe I should name her after the red robot in Robots?).

Why do they put light carpets in rentals? We are in the same boat. My daughter got hold of some paints and there is the red ice lolly we missed that she dropped during the heat wave.

I hope things start getting better at work. I know it can be stressful. Take care of yourself and enjoy all your weekend adventures! I have made a list of things to do with the kids during the holidays. I have decided to really go into tourist mode (I have to keep practising taking pictures, don't I? ;) )

in the end: the ups and downs that make your stories real and honest

Thanks Alida (and Polly).

It takes a fair amount of debating from my side if I should always tell it like it is... It's hard in a way because I want to keep it real, and if I didn't mention day to day troubles like day to day joys, it just wouldn't be an honest account of my new beginnings in this wonderful country.

I know that in order to grow, I need to learn from yesterday.

I guess at the moment I am just learning a lot about myself... each day getting a little bit stronger!

I love this place and all it has to offer.

I really needed this read today Red - I sometimes feel as if I have no motivation - everything is still so new and unknown and therefore a real bother !

and knowing if Red was doing it then I just had to get on with it too !

Thanx for the inspiration and the honest posts - keeping everything in context - some days are rocks and somedays are diamonds.

Nearly 7 months, you're loving it more each day, getting stronger, more settled - all real good.

Take care,

Hope things turn out all right at work Red.

Must be tough going to work with that over your heads, thinking of all of you!

Love your journal, and really appreciate the honesty!

Thanks Red for sharing your new beginnings. You are an amazing lady and Bern and becca are two lucky loved ones!

I hope and pray all goes well at work but no matter I am sure you will make it thru the storm and to the rainbow!!

Lotsa Hugs!

K

X

Hi Red

I just so enjoy reading your posts. I always search for "New Beginnings" before going to the other posts. It's really tough trying to keep your chin up, when stressors at work come into play. You've been such an inspiration and source of encouragement to so many of us on the Forum, so here's to you ... you're in our thoughts and we pray that your situation will turn out just fine.

Regards

BevF

Hi Red,

You are truely an inspiration!!!!

I have decided you are the example I want to follow when we go over. Always looking for the positive site of things and dealing with the negative in the most positive way.

Thank you for your honesty and guidance.

MANDI

Hi Red,

You are truely an inspiration!!!!

I have decided you are the example I want to follow when we go over. Always looking for the positive site of things and dealing with the negative in the most positive way.

Thank you for your honesty and guidance.

MANDI

Hear hear! :lol::ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Missing your journal entries - missing your pix - missing your positive and supportive attitude - miss you Red !!

I agree, Red, where are you, girl ??? We're feeling deprived !!

Yip - me too. Feel like a recovering druggy, all shaky and on edge. Compulsively checking the website for your "shot" of life!!!!

I was wondering the same thing, where has Red gone??

And Andi??

You 2 girls - are you out there somewhere? :ilikeit:

Yes!!! HELLOOOOOOOO Ladies!!! Where are you??????

Red I miss you!!!

Yes, where is Andi and anyone else who is living the life in Oz. Please keep us informed of your experiences. Plllleeeeeeaaaasseeee!!!!!

I wont go into details as I dont know the exact ins and outs and its not really my place - but there has been a "little friction" around the forum - and I would suspect that this has a lot to do with it. People on both sides have been hurt !

But I cant speak for anyone - so please dont hold me to it.

All I know is that I miss these 3 amazing ladies (Andi, Polly, Red), they were so supportive and helpful and a real inspiration to anyone making this move. I really hope that they will eventually return to the forum.

Missing your amazing writing skills Red ! :ph34r: Hope all is going well for you !

Edited by Lyn

i absolutely loved this and hope for more

Gosh, just found this post and sat here all afternoon reading all 27 pages!!! How inspiring and funny, I really laughed.

Some of Red´s experiences are so similar to the ones I had in Perth shortly after we arrived 2 years ago.

I work as a receptionist in a Medical clinic and at first had trouble understanding the australian talking very fast, and all the different names, and had to keep on asking them to repeat themselves, but after a couple of weeks I got used to the accent and names. All adds to the fun of day to day living, and we must make the best of our experiences.

All the best to all fellow immigrants!!

I wont go into details as I dont know the exact ins and outs and its not really my place - but there has been a "little friction" around the forum - and I would suspect that this has a lot to do with it. People on both sides have been hurt !

But I cant speak for anyone - so please dont hold me to it.

All I know is that I miss these 3 amazing ladies (Andi, Polly, Red), they were so supportive and helpful and a real inspiration to anyone making this move. I really hope that they will eventually return to the forum.

Missing your amazing writing skills Red ! :cry: Hope all is going well for you !

I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks now and this news is devastating!!!

RED???

What went wrong??

I recieved our grant letter this morning. Needless to say that my productivity has been non-existant as I sat here reading everything (all 27 pages) you wrote about life in Adelaide (we got a 176 sponsorship to South Auz)

Hope to hear some more soon. Your writing puts everything in perspective and I love reading your posts.

Hi - Red is well. She will be back. Just needs time with family so is taking a break for a while.

K