New beginnings...

Red

Awww Red you really are rebuilding your life aren't you! it all seems to be coming together again, fantastic!!!

we have all read of the scary people, the strange people, the odd people and the bizzaar people you have met along your journey, now you are feeling more comfortable with yourself, these same people are now approachable and friendly, just goes to show that you should never judge a book by it's cover hey!

The only difference now is you have adjusted or are still adjusting to their way of thinking and doing things, and not the other way around (which would never happen anyway).

Brilliant!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red - You leave me speechless. You epitomize what a person should be like..... I simply adore you!!!!!

YOU ARE SIMPLY THE VERY BEST!!!!

Hi Red,

I have a lump in my throat and also got goosies, thanks for sharing your everyday life with us.

Jill

Cant believe its been a month already - you seem to be doing great and have your routine worked out perfectly.

Glad Sarah is proving to be a great girl - never judge a chick by the words across her butt !!

Thanx again for another wonderful instalment !

I’m on a quest.

A treasure hunting, bargain buying, nice stuff finding quest…

And all that’s required is a little bit of capital… a little motivation… a good sense of direction… a handsome sidekick… and a whole lotta savvy.

And well, we couldn’t forget about the trusty steed… or was that more of a ‘rusty’ steed?!

The checklist looks pretty good.

Capital –Well, I am working after all…

Motivation – Has anyone looked at Gumtree? What more motivation does one actually need?

Direction – who doesn’t have a GPS these days?!

Handsome sidekick – Of course!

Whole lotta savvy – Plenty… redheads have a reputation to live up to after all!

(T)rusty Steed – without her… it just wouldn’t be the same.

A home becomes a home, when it’s filled with memories… and living in someone else’s home, with someone else’s furniture is really, well… odd.

So, I guess… my treasure quest is part of a bigger life mission to make home feel more like home… and of course, who doesn’t like a bargain?!

It all started back in council housing… If you recall, Bern managed to secure us a solid wooden coffee table for $40.00… The coffee table was like opening Pandora’s box… potentially with the power to wreak havoc with our finances!

The good news is, is that I have been very selective in my choices… and our finances are still ok!

After the coffee table I saw an ornate wooden mirror advertised… a perfect match for my wooden frames.

The deal was easy enough. I emailed the seller, and we were able to pick up the mirror the next day. It probably cost us just as much in petrol to get to his home.

Arriving at the house, I suddenly felt uneasy. Thoughts of psychotic internet killer ran through my mind… until a friendly lady popped her head out the door and said.. ‘May I help you’?

‘Uh... I’m here to pick up the mirror, I was looking for Chris’…

‘Oh’, she said… ‘Chris didn’t mention anything and he’s at work’…

‘Oh’… ‘mmmm….ok’… Awkward silence….

She broke it by saying, ‘Well, we were planning on getting rid of a mirror; let me go find it and see if it’s the one… ‘Come in’ she said.

And so I stood for about ten minutes (it’s a long time in a strangers house) whilst she scratched through her home, eventually returning with my wooden treasure. When she handed it over, I handed her the twenty buck note… waiting for her almost to laugh… but she didn’t… and I ran…

I had done it, conquered my first of many bargain buys… handsome sidekick put it into the (t)rusty steed and we headed off into the sunset… nah, more like the sunshine… this was summer in Oz after all.

After the mirror, was the bed.

We had planned on buying Becca one of those metal bunks with the study desk. Fantastic furniture had them for $390.00 and we couldn’t commit to spending the cash. Thank goodness we didn’t… We saved $290.00 by finding one on Gumtree. Only problem… the (t)rusty steed… just wasn’t big enough.

Luckily, we had a Sharks fan friend that offered to help… So the two gents drove long to pick up the bunk… apparently arriving at the house with the Seller still at work… and only the husband at home. Which brings me to the point, why make a plan to meet a prospective purchaser and then not even show up for the deal??!!

The two men stripped the bunk and walked out the door, I believe as the wife was getting home from work. It must have been a little awkward… mmm… imagine having two foreigners in the house walking out with your furniture…

And so with each purchase my confidence grew… and I realised that in order to be a true bargain hunter … I would need to bargain after all!

After the bed, was the tent. We want to camp… enjoy the outdoors… experience South Australia and all it has to offer. Winter, will be the perfect time to stock up on camping goods.

The tent was advertised… brand new, never been used… $90.00 for the taking.

And so I emailed, and bargained… Would the Seller be willing to look at an offer? It was a good buy already, but damn… I was taking bargain hunting to a new level.

Shortly after Trevor (the seller) replied to say a prospective purchaser was coming to collect it, and that unlike me, he was prepared to pay full price. Silly me, and my silly bargaining skills… I still thanked him for his time and wished him well. Perhaps I wasn’t a natural… my skills needed to be worked on.

Until… the next day, he sent me this e mail…

The guy that was meant to pick the tent up tonight cancelled until Monday.

If you want it and can pick it up tonight or tomorrow morning before 10:30am then it is yours for $80 even tho he was going to pay $90, I didn't like his attitude. I feel your energy is better than his.

And the next day, we arrived at Trevor’s place with $80.00 and huge smiles. We ended up chatting a whole bunch about camping and for some reason I blurted out…

‘So, is there anything else for sale?’

Bern looked horrified, until Trevor laughed… And pulled out the most awesome camping table…

It was a friend’s he said, but it had been sitting in his garage for over six months.

He wasn’t prepared to sell it, and said he would have to check first.

I received an e mail later to say that his friend hadn’t planned on selling it… and unfortunately wouldn’t take offers much less than $180.00. I responded with an e mail that said… much appreciated Trevor, but we wouldn’t be prepared to spend more than $100.00. I wasn’t bargaining… we just weren’t prepared to fork out that much cash.

Two days later I received this…

I sms'ed him again tonight and to my surprise he come back with ok at $100.

So if you want it for $100 it's yours.

And it IS ours… we’re getting that much closer to our first camping trip… and I’m getting that much closer to becoming a real bargain hunter…

If there is one thing I always keep my eye open for, is Coca-Cola memorabilia. I have Coke tumbler glasses, shooter glasses, buckets, straw holders and more… the problem is, is that I can only ever get my hands on the small stuff because the big memorabilia is so darn pricey!

And I’ve never seen Coke memorabilia second hand… until I saw an ad on Gumtree.

Was it a joke? The ad after all had been placed on April fools day. Was this some sicko playing a stupid joke… I’m always the one that falls for stupid jokes…

A mini Coca-Cola fridge, in the shape of a can… for $80.00… it was too good to be true, but I still had to bargain… Bern said I was mad, I have been in search of one of these for years… and now I come across the first one in my price range and I want to bargain?!?!

But, I got it… and it’s sitting in my kitchen… thanks to my trusty sidekick and his (t)rusty steed…

I guess, it’s pretty much like life… if you don’t take the chance, you’ll never know the outcome….

Whooohooo, Red - I absolutely looooove this !!! Makes my adrenalin pump too ! I truly, truly, truly hope you keep copies of all your posts to one day publish it as a lovely 'written-by-a-redhead-immigrant-bargain-hunter -book !

Bargains always has so much character attached to it, because you haven't just popped into a store and bought the first thing - you put in some effort and when you find what you want, you feel extra good about it - and it has a history, a story. Especially something like your Coca-Cola fridge.

Until the next installment (of yours !), keep well ...

LOL Red! I am so glad you are not here while I am trying to sell all my furniture and appliances, I might be lucky to walk away with ten bucks in my pocket for the entire contents of my house, and you would probably make me feel good about it!!. :lol::)

Here's the pic...

I must say i am so excited... have wanted one for years!

post-2789-1239277532.jpg

Wow, it's beatiful ! Almost gives me the same 'nostalgica' impression than the red post boxes of London !

now that is cool!

Hiehiehie, pardon the pun ...

Hey Red,

The fridge is exactly as you described it. Wow it is truly beautiful. I have looked at Gumtree Adelaide out of interest and it seems so similar to Gumtree in South Africa. Of course with a few variations - I guess everyone's got something to offer.

So happy that you are settling in. The camping thing sounds great and I have heard that there are some truly exquisite spots in Adelaide.

Will we be calling you a happy camper then?!!!!!!

Our time is drawing near and the LSD is now only 2.5 months away - I have been pounding at the Internet day and night and luckily a family member is down here on holiday from Adelaide - so I have been loading her with homebakes in exchange for info - that sounds like a fine deal to me.

Take Care

From a still very warm Cape Town

Pipit

Hello Red,

We have something in common - we too love "pre loved items" - at the mo OH is busy stripping a solid wooden chest of drawers that has been covered in white paint for years - got it from Salvos for $25 !! Just the 5 solid brass handles are worth more than that.

Havent plucked up the courage to visit homes and garage sales - feel a little sheepish when OH bargains. But you go girl !! I notice the Aussies do it a lot of the time so you are fitting in perfectly.

Enjoy the fridge - looks really cool - And happy camping.

We say project, they say prowject. We say maroon, they say ma-roan. We say h, they say heych.

But my worst, by far has to be the word debut….

How else could you say it and WHY on earth would you say… DAYBOO…

i.e. He made his dayboo playing footy, listen to their dayboo single…

I often wonder if it is just because we have different accents… but those words, I dunno…

And even though Saffers and Aussies speak English… certain things are really just not the same. Here’s an example.

What I am now used to:

G’Day…Name’s Bazza. I’m a tradie, I was a brickie, but now I’m a sparky. I’m a regular kinda bloke.I drive a ute, and being a dinky di bloke I greet the postie every morning. I live in Brizzie and enjoy a brekkie at Macca’s and having a barbie with mates. I buy my coldie’s from the local bottle-O, and store them in my Esky. I don’t ever chuck a sickie, actually I’m never crook. I don’t like ambo’s, polly’s and bogans. My kids are in kindy and love eating lollies… although they do enjoy a bit of spagbol.

What I was used to:

Howzit, my name’s Barry. I’m a tradesman, I was a bricklayer, but now I’m an electrician. I’m a regular kind of dude. I drive a bakkie and being a lekker genuine ouke I greet the postman every morning. I live in Brisbane and enjoy eating breakfast at Macdonalds and having a braai with my mates. I buy my beers from the local bottle store, and store them in my cooler box. I don’t ever fake being ill to get off work, actually I’m never sick. I don’t like ambulances, politicians and low lives. My kids are in preschool and love eating sweets… although they do enjoy a bit of spaghetti bolognaise.

And it’s not really an exaggeration. The Aussies take every chance to shorten a word… even the news readers… footy… polly, the list goes on.

But… I love watching the news here. Every morning, just after six we welcome Mel, Kochie and Fifi into our homes. I never realised watching the news could be so entertaining. And I love the fact that if Becca walks through and happens to catch a glimpse of the news… she isn’t faced with gory images of blood and death, which we were so used to on South African television.

The Aussies might have these hard hitting anti-smoking, anti-drink driving campaigns… but when it comes to the real thing, they are very aware of people’s sensitivities. And you notice that when there is a car accident and someone is injured, they always obscure the scene with a blanket or tarpaulin of sorts to spare potential onlookers.

The news is pretty much the same… you are informed about what is going on, and yet are spared the really disturbing footage.

During the Victorian bushfire, I had initially banned Rebecca from watching ANY footage about the bush fire tragedies, until I watched a program where a psychologist explained the various needs of children from ages 3 and up. And, when she mentioned that you should sit with together with children of Becca’s age and watch the footage, it dawned on me that for once she could actually watch the news… without being scarred for life. And so we sat, every morning and watched the stories of the heroes, the ordinary people and of course Sam the Koala. Becca asked many questions, and I hope learned a lot. Had I prevented any exposure to the tragedy, she wouldn’t have benefitted from all the positive stories that were shared as well.

I realised she had learnt something vital when she came home from a day and school, and I asked her how her ice block (like an ice lolly) had been, and she turned to me and said… I didn’t have it mom. I gave the money to the bushfires…

She’s really settling into the Aussie swing of things… and it’s such a relief. I think sometimes we forget just how much our little ones go through. Each week the kids at school have to prepare a mini oral, and each week there is a new theme. The easy ones were… My favourite book, my favourite animal, my holiday… but the hard ones were…

My pet…

After looking at pictures of all her pets she ended up taking a photo of Bandit the black lab in RSA.

My family…

That was hard for her too … she asked for photos of her ‘Nana’ and ‘Grampa’ and took those to show.

Last week, she came home with the new themes…

Needless to say… I’m dreading the one entitled my best friend…

But that’s a bridge to cross when we get there… and cross it we will…

Red, I so enjoy reading your life!!

You really make your characters come alive, I almost feel embarresed to add to my feeble journal.

Thanks for sharing with us....

Red - you have an amazing talent for writing and you need to use it........... Love your posts!!! As Eva says - you bring everything to life!!!

There are times when, as a mother, I want to run… far, far away… And it’s not the times when my daughter develops and attitude worse than my own, it’s those times when she arrives home with that invitation… that dreaded invitation to Sports day.

And, believe me; it’s got nothing to do with taking the time out to watch my daughter, but more to do with taking the time out to make idle conversation with some idiot that wants to tell me just how good their child is… you know the type…

‘I can’t believe how well Katy is running… her extra training is really paying off’ or ‘Katy let that poor other girl win the race… good for her’…

Ugh…

Although, you can’t forget those mothers that get so worked up… you think they’re ganna blow a fuse. Again…you know the one’s I’m talking about… the one’s that aren’t sitting idly on the stands… but the one’s screaming threats from the sidelines.

And when Rebecca came home with ‘the’ invite, I was so relieved that for the very first time Bern would be able to join me at one of her Sports days. I wouldn’t have to join the ‘hubby’s-are-at-work club’ and end up sitting next to the chick that won ‘Worlds Best Mother award’ for the third time running.

Instead I would land up sitting to that gorgeous husband of mine… well… so I thought.

I soon realised that the day was going to be a little different when the kids all had their warm up drill…

Two hundred of them all dancing to some latest hit… Clapping their hands and stomping their feet… one step forward and two steps back with their hands in the air, and they just didn’t care!

The funny part was when I went back to listen to the song from the video I took, all I can hear is…

‘Bern, can you believe this, you HAVE to be kidding… and then you hear Bern say… ‘oh geez… no way!’… and with all our talking… I’ve lost any and all background music…. Silly, silly me…

After the dancing disco diva’s and their stylin’ moves the principal, Mr. Zed gave his announcement… and ended it off with…

Now kids, remember.. There is no such things as losers… we are here to have fun, and we’re all winners.

Nice try Mr. Zed… perhaps you might want to line up the parents and give them the same speech…

‘Now parents, remember… no one’s kids are losers… they’re here to have fun and all your kids are winners…’

But, it was all so different… so incredibly different.

We were given a map of the school grounds, along with the times each event would take place. The kids were split into their classes and from there, split into the houses. Red, Yellow and Blue. Funny though… when the teacher realised that there weren’t enough yellow members, no panics… she just pulled some red members and stuck them in the yellow team… No drama’s and no worries, mate….

The first event was ‘under over’… The kids standing in a line, passing a ball to each other (under the legs, then over the head). The game is meant to end when the first person gets the ball for the second time… but hey, they were having fun and the teacher just let it carry on going.

The final score was judged on attitude and not outcome… fair enough…. I guess….

The second game had me in stitches. Three teams… one hula hoop and a whole lotta beanbags…

The point was to see how many beanbags each team could ‘steal’ from the middle hoop… Everything was going well… and then when the bean bag collection had been depleted from the centre, the kids literally started to steal from the other teams. I’m still not sure if this was all part of the event… perhaps it was because the teacher was so busy taking photo’s so didn’t quite realise the all the ‘homies in the hood’… I was completely shocked to see my daughter running about five extra times, gleefully stealing one beanbag after the other… makes a mother proud…. Really?!

Not sure how we managed to judge the winner of that one… it’s all rigged anyway…

Somehow, during the next game… sorry, event… the teacher managed to get us parents involved. And it progressed from Bern helping roll this giant sized ball to having the giant sized ball rolled over us… the kids loved it…

The sports day was truly remarkable … egg and spoon races, hoop throwing, obstacle courses and more. No pressure… no pressure to perform and to meet parental expectations. Just kids acting like kids and enjoying the benefits of being eight, nine and ten.

I loved seeing Rebecca embracing what the day had to offer, and I think she thoroughly enjoyed having her parents by her side. I’m sure it won’t be long and she’ll soon be begging us to stay indoors… but the laughter we shared is something to be remembered!

The final event of the day was the running races… would you believe that each child that ran a race was given a ribbon… first, second, third and ‘competitor’…

Perhaps, it’s not really a true reflection of what the big wide world is has to offer… but it sure was an awesome reflection of Mr. Zed’s earlier words… There’s no such thing as losers… we’re all winners.

Wow, this is truly, truly amazing. I just looooovvvve that !

I remember dreading our own school sports days. The nauseating tension, the almost 'hatred' between the houses, the competition. I liked the activity, but aint much of a competitor. So I always was relieved when the day was over. What a ball we as kids could have had !!

Thanks Red, this was really great !