New beginnings...

Red

Hi All

So glad to finally be here, after all the stress before we left, it’s good to have FINALLY arrived…

I will be writing rather lengthy (perhaps mundane to some) posts. Just about general life here in Oz.... so for those of you who are keen... let our journey begin!

The flights, and Day 1.

As some of you might know it was our first flight off the African continent and Rebecca’s first flight anywhere. Durban to Jo’burg was a great flight, Becca received special attention and was allowed to visit with the captain and co-pilot in the cock pit… the captain asked her if her fluffy toy had a boarding pass… she really enjoyed that. Jo’burg to Perth was just so awful. We sat in the middle of two families – both with young kids… and they basically cried non – stop. Becca was awesome, she only had one complaint at about 3am to say ‘I never thought flying could be this bad’… she had a little cry, but then managed to get about an hour’s sleep. Bern and I were awake the whole eight hours…

At Perth we waited ages for our luggage, only to find that two bags were missing… but the delay helped us when it came to clearing customs… we sailed through… No worries! Throughout the flights we all sailed through customs and security… BUT at the domestic boarding area from Perth to Adelaide was quite simply a NIGHTMARE! Ah man, even writing this makes me stress again!!

The first issue was that we were carrying a ‘vuvuzela’ and had to explain that it was not in fact a weapon of mass destruction, but that it was in fact similar to a bugle or trumpet used at sporting matches. You can just imagine the look on the Aussie officials faces, thinking ‘ Bloody South Africans’… then Bern and I couldn’t get through the metal detectors without the damn things beeping… Geepers, it was so bad, we just couldn’t get through. Everything metal had to be taken off… this included all jewelry, belts, shoes… it was so bad… and all I kept thinking was we had gone so far, why at the last stop did we have this nightmare… eventually we got through… somewhat embarrassed!

The Perth to Adelaide flight was great, amazing conditions, we were able to see land most of the way. So flying into Adelaide was a real treat. We got to see a birds eye view of our new beautiful city. Weather was stunning! Arrived to be met by our new Aussie friend Bob :rolleyes: , and the government meet and greet volunteer. For those who don’t know – the South Australian government provides a free meet and greet service to skilled migrants. Basically a volunteer is supposed to meet you at the airport and take you to your destination, as well as show you around the city and set you up with tax, medical etc etc. But Bern and I were quite confident that we could do this ourselves. So we were met by Sylvia the volunteer (Tuesday) on Tuesday 18h30 Adelaide time, only to request that she showed us were we lived and handed over our keys. She was adamant that she should take us on a sightseeing tour! As much as we had explained that the last time we had slept was on Sunday night, she just couldn’t get it into her head that we wanted to put our feet up!

So after a slight sightseeing detour, we arrived at our flat. As part of the meet and greet service they organize you very reasonably priced rental. The flat was very neat and welcoming, two bedrooms, one bathroom and kitchen. The flat is also furnished with major appliances and beds etc. Unfortunately one of the bags that was lost contained Becca’s sleeping bag. Bob very kindly offered to take us to the local ‘Big W’ so we could buy a cheap sleeping bag to get us through the night. So off we trooped to the Big W and purchased the sleeping bag with some of the money Qantas had given us because of the lost bag. (We were given $120 for the inconvenience). Bob, very kindly also took us to a look-out spot called Windy Point. From there we were able to see the city of Adelaide. This was at about 8 in the evening, and still very light outside.

That’s one of the things we are having to adapt to, the sun is still out, shining at 7pm, it only really gets dark by 8:30pm. Becca doesn’t fancy the idea of going to bed whilst the sun is still out.

Bob dropped us back off at the flat (Rebecca was fast asleep in the back of the car), along with our new sleeping bag, to get a good night’s rest… BUT… we couldn’t get the door to unlock. So there we were, jet lagged, tired and hungry with no food nowhere to sleep, outside our front door trying to opening the damn lock… it took us ten minutes… the longest ten minutes of our lives I am sure. We couldn’t even phone anyone… no mobile phone, and we didn’t know anyone’s number!

We eventually got in… hungry still, with no food, thirsty, but not sure if we could drink the water… so we went to bed… to rest for the next day…

More adventures to follow,

red

Hi there Red

We are hoping to use the meet and greet service in Adelaide and was wondering what area the moved you into.

We did a LSD trip in June 08 and have already enrolled the kids in a school so i was wondering if we would have a choice on the area

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanx for the installement - So glad you guys are settling so well.

Had to chuckle about the "cash out", Coles also say '"fly bys" - was so confused. How about the self service tills - I was so surprised at these - even the library you scan your own books, get a slippie and off you go.

Hope you guys have a happy week, take care

Hey Red, Just love your posts. Sounds like you guys have done this immigration thing with a song and a smile. Good on ya mate!!!! Can't wait to be posting, once we get over there, so I can help others out like you have helped us. In fact I feel like I have actually been living there, with all the info you have provided. Please keep 'em coming!!!!

ETA of the next update ?? :P

Edited by Alida

I am also dying to know what happened next!

Thank you so much Red for all the little tit bits, I've just found this, and spent most of the afternoon with a big smile on face, visualizing your antics. It makes me look forward to our trip with so much more anticipation!

Journal extra:

I sat reading my journal today, and have laughed and cringed along the way… and have been amazed how well things have worked out for us, but then I realised it’s not necessarily because we’ve ‘had it easy’ so to say, but we’ve remained positive, kept the sense of humour and given it all we’ve got. So, my journal entry today, is a reminder that it’s not about the situation you are in… but what you make of the situation.

In life you have a choice,

To make it work or not…

To give things a go, stumble a little,

but giving all you’ve got.

Never losing sight,

Of that place you want to be…

Giving all you’ve got,

Is the only way, you see.

So set your sights,

And follow your heart…

Giving ALL you’ve got,

It’s the only way to start.

I am amazed sometimes that we are here. Bernard started off the process of emigration nearly three years ago, and the reality of moving seemed like a distant dream. He used to come home and read me the weather report in Adelaide, show me photo’s of suburbs, clean streets, pictures of the Torrens river, crowds in Rundle Mall… and I always showed a half hearted interest… Not because, I didn’t care, but because I never thought we could achieve such a big dream. I mean, let’s be honest here we’ve all heard how sticky the Aus government is with migration and financially, we weren’t really in a position to spend the money required.

But when the schools started striking, and we had to rush to pick up Rebecca from school, I thought perhaps this was a sign, and perhaps we could look into it further. That was all Bernard needed… within days, we had made an appointment to see a migration agent…. Within weeks we had passports, birth certificates, and Bernard’s trade had been approved for Skilled Migration. Rumours were flying that due to a new online system being used, our Visa would take around three months… On the 24th November 2007 our application was submitted, and we were making plans to leave around March… and we waited… and waited… March came and went, and we promised my cousin that we would definitely stay till just after her wedding in May… and then May came and went… and nothing…

Everyone asking you daily, if you have your Visa… and always asking… But, what if?

June, July, August… we waited, and we started to question ourselves, what if… but never giving up… Bern was looking into working Visa’s and we both discussed New Zealand as an option.

BUT, then finally on the 23rd September 2008 we received an e mail advising us that we had been granted permanent residence… and that was it… it was all we needed to keep the spirits strong.

The two months before we left was worse than the wait. Our house wasn’t selling, we were spending money on air tickets and boxes and suitcases and more… and the worst part was that everything we had built up together was literally given away… and then a week before we were to fly, our house was hit by a storm… My car damaged by a fallen Jacaranda tree, and the roof of our house hit by another massive tree that took out 8sqm of roofing. The talk of recession, and the exchange rate were working against us, and it was becoming hard to say our farewell’s to friends and family. Finding homes for our animals, was heartbreaking… the guilty feeling, indescribable… We were physically drained, and emotionally exhausted.

But, we never gave up… and literally gave it our all… and landed in Adelaide, on a warm sunny evening… and it was behind us all… we had arrived…

And now, we experience the warm wonderful weather, we ride along the Torrens river, we walk in the clean streets, we shop at Rundle Mall, and we’re moving to the suburbs…

Believe me though, we have had our fair share of trying moments here, trying to fit in, finding a home, questioning if we will find employment, spending rands as opposed to dollars, making new friends and having no family… but the choice has been ours… we’re giving it all we’ve got!

HI Red,

Thanks for sharing, you have a way with words, keep up the positive attitude and you will do well.

bye for now Jill

With a new year, comes along a fresh perspective… a New beginning… and for us, it’s in a new country.

We’ve left behind that comfort zone, that we clung to so dearly… and have realized that our comfort zone has become a tired old friend of the past.

And without necessarily talking about it, Bern and I have embraced this new adventure. We have no fixed routine, so when we get picked up by a stranger at a DVD Warehouse Sale, we have no hesitation to join in the fun. And what a wonderful evening we had…

We pretty much feel like this is home now, and aren’t making such big fools of ourselves. We know which shops to shop at, we know when and how to fill up with petrol, we know what a bargain is, we know where to live, and not to live… Life is starting to become more like it should, with a little more normality.

This 8 weeks has been the adventure of a lifetime and we have been truly blessed.

We spent most of the week, dreaming of our rental, discussing what we would do with the place, and what our chances of getting it would be. We’ve heard all the dreaded stories how hard it is to get an application accepted… so let’s just say we were a little skeptical.

Our agent phoned us on Wednesday morning (my heart beating like it’s never beated before)… and said…

“Hi Kirsten, your agent from Brock Harcourts hereâ€

“Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssâ€â€¦ I said

“Well†she says… “Are you still keen on that duplex you put in an application for?â€

“Oh, Most definitely (sounding very overeager)†I shouted.

“Ok, thank you, goodbyeâ€â€¦ and that was it! That was all she said…

No reason why she called, no rejection, and yet, no confirmation that it was ours. Bern was staring at me blankly thinking I had some news, but alas, I did not. So we walked around the flat… confused… impatient and desperate. Staring at each other and then laughing…

Half an hour later, we got the call… ‘Kirsten, me again, Just wanted to let you know YOU GOT THE RENTAL!â€

But the best was yet to come, she said, the landlord specifically said I needed to tell you…

“Welcome to Australiaâ€â€¦

And what a welcome that was! So we’ll be moving in this Friday, to the rental we could only ever have dreamed of. It’s pretty much fully furnished so we don’t have to splash out on more and it’s right next to the river Torrens… every bike riders dream.

On, the subject of bikes, Adelaide is just amazing. We ride for 2-3 hours most days, all around Adelaide. Through the parks, and through the city, during the morning, and at night… there we all are… amazed by where we are. I never dreamed we would feel this sort of freedom, I never realised just how much we used to stay indoors, at home… watching TV. You can ride in the middle of the city at 7:00 in the evening, and come across runners and walkers, cyclists and kids, all living life to the full! The parks here, also have gym equipment, similar in a way to the kids jungle gyms, but specifically designed for adults to use. There are hurdles, parallel bars, pull up bars, press up T bars, and along the Torrens, there is actual equipment that you use your body weight to increase the resistance – so you can do a FULL gym workout, i.e stepper, leg press, leg raise, shoulder press, lat pulldown, bench press… all FREE of charge and available 24hrs a day. Ok, so we still look like gobsmacked tourists occasionally, but less than when we first arrived.

The other exciting news, is that Bernard got his learners licence… he woke up on Friday morning, flipped through the learners handbook, and promptly announced. “I’m going to do my learnersâ€â€¦ That was it, no panic, no stress, no chewing finger nails… NOTHING!!! And off he went, paid his $25, sat the exam… and PASSED. Now, when it comes to my turn, I’ll have to be dragged in like a panicked animal with no nails left to chew on… I mean, he could have acted a little nervous, made me feel better about my ridiculous self… but no… he was the epitome of calm. The pressure on, is incredible. Let’s just remember Bern got the job, at his one and only interview, and now… he’s passed his learners… first time! Ugh… wish there was a hole I could crawl into…

Alas, there is no hole… and life must carry on! And I will pass my learners, and then my drivers, and life will be ok… I hit these moments of panic, especially now that we are moving away from the area we have become adapted to, but it also means we close a little chapter, and start a new one. Goodbye to council living and strange council dwellers… goodbye to a tiny flat and hello to a New beginnings… and a house right by the Torrens River…

And people that once were strangers, have now become friends… and not just because we have a nationality in common, but because we have a whole lot more…

Thanks Red. I love your posts!

What made you and Just B select Adelaide as your new home? Any specific reason? What is the weather like there?

What are the house prices for an avearge home like to rent and then also to buy??

Thanks for the helpful info!!!

Kindest Regards

K

Man it great to read these posts. Make me wanna get fit too..........oh wait.................... okay the feeling has gone. Shew that was close. Nearly went and bought a bicycle.

Keep the posts coming buddy.

Enjoyed reading your journal...just sat down and read all from start to finish for the first time. Gripping reading!

Highly inspirational stuff to remind all of us why we are making the move...what an adventure! :cry:

Hi Red

Thank you for sharing your experiences so far. Your journals certainly keeps us motivated and positive, as you are aware this waiting for visas can really test a family's patience.

Regards

Blue

• 3 weeks later...

New beginnings marked new emotions for me. Closing our chapter on Hawthorn council housing proved to be harder than moving from South Africa to South Australia. Hawthorn was where I had made home, developed some roots, developed a love for my new country and felt completely at ease. People’s faces were becoming familiar, shop assistants more talkative, and we no longer needed the Garmin to get us from place to place. This was home… and this was where I wanted to be.

And as much as I was excited about our new move and our new adventures I had this sense of loss. It felt like I had to say goodbye to something all over again… I was totally unprepared for these feelings that seemed to have sprung on me quite suddenly.

On the day we collected the keys for the rental, my cheeks streamed with tears all the way from the agents office to our new home… the home we had signed a lease for a year… 12 months… 52 weeks… 365 days… it all seemed just too much. We were going to live in the middle of nowhere, where the streets seemed barren, the people seemed creepy and the trees seemed dead… and this is where I thought my journal would end… Why bother keeping a record of something that really shouldn’t be recorded…

But this is also where I realised what an amazing family I am blessed with, and what an extraordinary man I am married to. Bern’s efforts at maintaining a peaceful home must not go unmentioned. Despite all the tears he managed to get his girls through it all… and we’re out the other end, living life to the full.

I have so many stories leading up to the move, and after the move, but felt the need to mention what was going on at the same time… and how without a sense of adventure and a sprinkling of humour… one’s perspective can change from good to bad…

And that is all it was… my perspective, my outlook… The trees here are beautiful, tall and strong. The people here are normal, some are creepy… but just as creepy as my local council friends (and they made great stories). The streets are clean, paths maintained, and roads taken care of… And the grass… well, it’s greener on this side… WAY greener. We are 5km’s from the centre of the city, and our front door is literally 50 metres from the most awesome cycling path… that seems to go on forever!

We’re settled now , and I can call this home… but it took a bit to get us here… And this is how the story goes…

With Bernard only having a week left till he went back to work, we decided to visit Historic Port Adleaide, enjoy the museum and take a stroll around the place. What we didn’t count on was having a two hour ferry cruise around the port, only to leave Port Adelaide hours later! The museum itself was interesting enough, but it was the immigration section that really left me feeling quite privileged about the way we came to this country. Compared to what they experienced back in the day… we had five star luxury, and our “awful†trip from Jo’burg to Perth was nothing to complain about.

A quote that stuck with me written in 1849 by a new immigrant read… “All hearts did rejoice to be expelled from our floating prisonâ€. Imagine what kind of struggle those poor people went through. This is also another amazing part of Australia… they are truly accepting people. Immigrants to the country are made to feel a part of the country… and encouraged to embrace it like their own. Maybe that is what makes it easier to adapt here, perhaps the common bond is that somewhere along most family lines there is a migrant in search of a better life. .. better opportunities and more freedom. It’s not easy starting over again… but I could never say it’s hard… especially not harder than the lot that did it in the 1800’s… they must have been crazy!!!

Talking about crazy, we still hadn’t packed any boxes for the big move on Friday… I mean really what can one family of three collect in two months, a couple of items here and there perhaps… No, not our family! We had literally squashed the tiny 2 bedroomed flat from corner to corner with new goods needed to set up for our new home. If it hadn’t been for Manny who kindly offered to help transport some of the heavier goods in his vehicle, we would have been moving for days… yes, DAYS!!!

We are not the type who like asking for help, and prefer going at it ourselves, so when Bern mentioned Manny had offered to help... I just gave him the raised eyebrow… and he then went ahead and happily confirmed with Manny that help was needed… much to my distress… Had I only known what we were really in for, I would have taken the extra help offered by friends, Kerry and Steff…

So Friday arrives, and we collect the keys for the rental… oh, and sign the lease. The agents here are really laid back… everything… “No worriesâ€! Actually everyone here is pretty laid back… and if you say you are taking something, they take you on your word… and don’t rush to get a signature on a dotted line… But of course it did leave us wondering if we would get there and not have a rental to go to because perhaps their word wasn’t as good as ours.

Keys collected, we drive to our new home… arrive and open the door to be welcomed by the most awful stench… and as you may recall my emotional state was not at any point where a bad smell might be tolerated… Ripping open doors, windows and blinds eased the smell and frustrations a bit, but this was only the beginning… On closer inspection in the ‘professionally cleaned rental’ we found cobwebs, stains, cigarette burns, dust, dirt, grime… and… dirty underwear… I was finished… I could not live here… and I wanted MY council housing back… I wanted to live with the creepy bunch of people in government subsidized housing… Judgment clouded the mind… and rationality flew out the open window. ..

But I had no choice, this was moving day.

We got back to the flat, and I mentioned to Bern that I was happy with Manny helping transport goods, but was not happy with him doing any manual labour. This was our move, and I didn’t want a new friend to feel like he was being used as some form of cheap labour. It was going to be up to us to get the fridge, 73 kg washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher down the two flights of stairs… and would you believe (with the help of a special trolly we had bought) we did. Well, Bern did most of the work, but I am sure I played some vital role like assisting him down the stairs.

So we have all the brand new goods on the pathway next to the apartment block… And Manny arrives… Load the fridge in the vehicle, throw in some extra boxes… pack up Mitsi (our ’89 hatchback) and away we all go… it’s about a half hour drive. Becca decided Manny was better company, and so was his air-conditioned car… she’s a clever thing, and hitched a ride with him. We got to the rental, unpack the stuff… Bern and Manny go on a little walk to see the area, I pull out the disinfectant… and about an hour or so later, we head off again… another load… only now I realise that the rest of our furniture is sitting… on the pathway of the apartment block…What had we been thinking????? Brand new items, nicely packaged and ready to move… outside low income housing… in a dead quiet neighbourhood… they were surely gone…

But we arrived, and lo and behold they hadn’t been taken, let alone touched!! And that’s how we carried on. Our valuables left on the pathway ready and waiting for the next load. We thanked Manny after he had done his third trip with our belongings, not being entirely able to thank him enough for his kindness, time, petrol and vehicle… and not to mention an AWESOME travel companion for little Becca.

Between the both of us we had decided that we needed to make a clean break from our flat. So we undertook to get all our items moved and to get the flat clean by that same day… Kerry and Steff had offered to bring us over supper, but we decided that we would need to decline… And so, the rest of the evening we packed Mitsi to the brim… Becca shoved between a bean bag and potting soil…Pots and a clothes drier… toilet brush and microwave… The poor girl never moaned… perhaps it was the laughs we were having… maybe the tiredness… but we all got through it. And at the stroke of midnight we finished off the last bit of mopping at the flat… and headed for our new home… Unpacked Mitsi, managing to walk over all our worldly goods, Bern headed for the fridge and cracked open a beer at two in the morning, gulped it down… and we headed for bed… exhausted…

The next morning we collected our pot plants from the flat, and closed the door behind us…slid the key under the door as instructed.

The end to a new beginning, and the start to a newer beginning...

More to follow…

Hi Red, Was wondering where our updates were. You've been too busy with the move and the sanitising.

As always thanx for sharing your ups and downs - your new and newer beginnings -

sending you lots of hugs and tons of happiness in the new rental.

How about some photo's?

Hey Sharon... will put some up... Xxx

Are you on facebook, I have a whole bunch on there... PM me your full name and I'll ask you to be my friend... :ilikeit: That sounds so odd...

Hey Red,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, the good and the bad.

now that you finally have some sort of stability in your new home I am sure that things will look brighter especially after all that cleaning, :ilikeit:

The newer beginning seemed daunting. Our two month holiday was coming to an end, and reality was setting in, Bern would be going to work, and Becca would soon be following her way out the house, and going to school. My last weekend before normality resumed.

We had an awesome ending to our long break together, we decided that we would ride into the city and watch the Tour down Under (secretly hoping we’d get to spy Lance Armstrong). And that was what we did. We hooked up Becca’s trailer bike to Berns, filled up our water packs, hopped onto the bikes, and away we went… The freedom of being able to do this is totally indescribable. There are no words that I could possibly string together to convey the sheer awesomeness of it all. From our driveway we are 2 metres from the cycle path that winds it’s shady way along the Torrens River… Over bridges and under them… you feel completely free… and safe. Maybe that’s why you feel so free… you have no worries and safety is not a concern. Well, for most… You see… Bern has his concerns, and rightly so.

He worries for my safety… and not from the harm of others, but from harm from myself.

I have to be the clumsiest person on a bike – but clumsy in the oddest situations… Give me a downhill with roots, dirt and a rock in between and I can ride like a star. Let me come to a flat tarred area, where nothing should get in my way – and I will find a way… and come crashing down… hard. I have had a few of these, and each time Bern breathes a sigh of relief that I have not in fact injured myself beyond a kissable repair. I don’t know why he doesn’t laugh… I don’t know if I could be so heartfelt. I mean I turn into a corner and suddenly, I don’t know… the bike and I part ways… except for my feet, because they’re still clipped into the pedals… I mean, how can he NOT laugh…

We managed to get to watch the tour, after I had also managed to fall outside the front of a building with a tradesman watching from his ute (bakkie). My ribs hurt… but my ego hurt more…

Luckily within minutes, we saw Lance Armstrong… and what a great experience… What a great rider. We saw him from a distance, and I had the camera ready… so steady… aimed and poised for that moment every photographer dreams of… Closer and closer he got, and when I was ready to click the shutter button… I had a moment of shock… Lance Armstrong… 1 metre from me… and as I looked up in sheer amazement I clicked the button… and lost sight of my camera angle… The photo of him was of the tarmac… I treasure that photo, because it reminds me of the feelings behind the camera lens. You’ll be glad to know I did manage to snap a few of him… but they weren’t as close as he had initially been…

Thousands of people lined the streets… And just before the race began… the loudspeaker bellowed…â€Please be upstanding for your national anthemâ€â€¦ and it was weird, my national anthem… I kept going over it in my head as crowds were equally grasped by the words ‘for we are young and free’… The ride back home was fantastic, we managed to get back whilst it was still light outside, and enough time for Bern to feel relaxed and enjoy a Sunday before work started the next morning.

When the alarm sounded at 5:45am on Monday morning… I just wanted to close my eyes and forget that Bern was off for his first day at the office. But I couldn’t and Bern gave me a kiss goodbye, jumped in the driver’s seat and rattled down the road in Mitsi, on his way to experience work and the Australian way. I seemed to be able to hold it together, until a few special friends e-mailed to see how I was doing. Carman knew even from thousands of kilometres away that I needed a chat, Lyn knew I had a heavy heart, and Kerry knew that I needed a little space… but not too much... just the right amount. I felt silly, like one of those troubled teens, lovesick and totally irrational… it was silly… but I was even sillier…

And thanks to my beautiful friends, I pulled through it ok. Kerry popped round the next day, with her daughter (Becca’s new playmate) and would you believe… with Crème Soda and Nik Naks… things were going to be ok. Crème Soda can fix anything… What I seemed to have forgotten was that I wasn’t the one having to experience new challenges, after all… I was the one staying at home… or was that a challenge in itself?!

Bern’s first week was a good one, which was a relief for us all. He came home to tell me that all was well, and that the people were great… He also told me that when he first walked in to the office, the receptionist wasn’t there, and so he just hung around… waiting… hoping not to get the attention of this rather massive, boot wearing, tattoo covered , scary looking Aussie bloke… also that he was somewhat relieved when a rather meekly looking chap asked if he needed help… Bern stated “I’m your new systems co-ordinator’… and the meekly chap said…’Hang on. Let me get the person you need’… And guess who the person Bern ‘needed’ was… yes, the massive, boot wearing, tattoo covered scary looking “Aussie†who bounded up to Bern and greeted him with…’hallloimmacharrison’…

The scary looking ‘Aussie’ turned out to be the company’s production manager, Bern’s boss… and had actually said “Hello, I’m Mick Harrrison†in the broadest Scottish accent known to mankind.

So Bern has a fellow immigrant as his superior, and they share a common understanding without even having to talk about it. The one worrying factor is that Bern won’t pick up an Aussie accent, but rather an olde world Scottish one… Who would’ve thought?!

Bern works at a commercial furniture factory owned by Les Steven’s, and as far as Bern is aware of, Les is no longer involved in the daily running of the business… until he learnt the hard way! He asked ol’ Mick Harrison if he had ever met “this Les Steven’s guyâ€, to which Mick responded… “Yea, and so have you – you were introduced on your first day… and he’s in and out the office all dayâ€â€¦

I can’t believe that when my darling hubby was introduced to a man called Les, he did not click and perhaps assume what should have been assumed…

He’s also asked if the bakkies that were parked were in fact office bakkies… Mick has obviously adapted to Bern, and gave him an answer, but as many people will know… Bakkies are not bakkies here they are utes. Like takkies are sneakers and sausages are snags and jerseys are jumpers and dinner is tea… We’re still learning… but we’re getting there…

On the day Bern went to work I picked up the phone and enquired about enrolment at our local school. Things work differently over here. You don’t get put through to an admissions lady, you get put through directly to the principal, who then says… come over in half an hour, and you can ask all the questions you need to ask. So that’s what we did… In ridiculous heat, we walked to the school… halfway Rebecca stops and says… “I’m ready to blowâ€â€¦ It was hot and I felt the same… and it was bliss to walk into his air-conditioned office. I asked all the normal questions… like times (school here is 9:00am – 3:05pm), uniform (generally they like you to stick to the uniform… huh??), school fees ($170.. gulp..a month I ask… NO, per year… huh?), stationery (supplied by the school… huh?)… and that was it. He didn’t want to see my passport or Bernard’s, only looked at Rebecca’s because she made him. Didn’t want to see her inoculation sheet, or income statement, or proof of residential address… nothing… No deposit, nothing. Just one thing he wanted… an answer to… would you like Rebecca to join our school?

Her school is also a centre for the hearing impaired. So a few of her school mates are either deaf or hearing impaired, an unlike other Australian schools, her second language she will be learning is AUSLAN – Australian sign language.

Trying to get the uniforms was a whole new learning experience. We went a few days later, with the idea of kitting Rebecca out from top to toe… Only to be met by some feisty women who wanted to save me a couple of dollars. So I ask for a golf shirt… and they just stare :ilikeit: , and don’t say oh you mean this only other shirt, they just look at me blankly almost like I have spoken a north western dialect of some Ethiopian language…

Turns out the golf shirt is called a Polo Shirt. One mother (bless her money saving tips) asked me how many I wanted, and I said four, and then she said, two and I said four… and so the debate continued… till eventually, perhaps when she thought I was about to start frothing at the mouth, she allowed me to buy three…

And once we get over the shirt hurdle now come the skorts (shorts that look like a skirt)… I ask for three (lucky number three you know), and she said… ‘Nah, go to Big W… they’re $17 cheaper’… I mean that’s all very nice and everything, but the closest Big W is like 10km’s away and I only have a bike… So I say, well could I perhaps just have one… and giving me that blank Ethiopian dialect stare again reluctantly gave one to me. I didn’t bother asking for the two different styles of hats… just got the bucket hat. Managed to get a jacket… but wasn’t able to get the jumper (waste of money you know) and wasn’t able to get the long pants because it really isn’t cold yet… and anyway, like the sweet mother pointed out… the uniforms are more of a guideline... huh? Bless the Australian school system… A lazy mothers dream come true…

And before I knew it… I had completed my first week. And I had survived… the house, now filled with love and laughter and no more bad smells. The bathrooms and kitchen disinfected from top to toe… and to end off our week we had a barbeque at Kerry and Steff’s… and met more great people.

It’s been a while since I’ve laughed so much… laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks… and those, were happy tears... coming from a happy heart.

Till the next time… take care.

Red ! You're an absolute star !!! I really hope you keep these posts to one day gather them in a lovely volume for reading for our children and their children and theirs.... we're making history here, you know - and somewhere later on our kids would love to learn what their ancestors experienced during this time of uprooting and 'rerooting' !

Keep'em comin'

And yes, I am a picture-minded photo-addict. May I too PM you to have a peep at your photos ? Pleaaassseee ???

Edited by Alida

May I too PM you to have a peep at your photos ?

Of course... send me your details...

Hey Red, You won't believe it, but you have reduced me to tears. Your adventures are sooooo funny. I know there are tough times, but you make everything sounds hysterical. Nothing like a laugh to keep the spirits up. I am so eager to get over there so I too can report back on our adventure. Keep smiling.

MANDI

nice post, please keep them coming!

we anxious to get there and post our jounal...

J