IELTS Test

Have just booked for IELTs for 6 September.... this is the first time that it feels completely real to me. Money paid and all... no turning back.

Nervous but excited!

And would you believe - the British Council is actually 2 floors down from me - the same building where they mark them!!!!!!!! What a luck. I already went and introduced myself to them yesterday - can't do any harm to turn on the charm!

Now the rest...

Leigh

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryn

• Dreams

• MarcK

• Jordy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi leigh, can you forward me the address and contact details of the British Council.. Do you have a copy of the specimen pack? Hopefully I will be booking the test in Sept as well...

Cheers ...Bazza

Have just booked for IELTs for 6 September.... this is the first time that it feels completely real to me. Money paid and all... no turning back.

Nervous but excited!

And would you believe - the British Council is actually 2 floors down from me - the same building where they mark them!!!!!!!! What a luck. I already went and introduced myself to them yesterday - can't do any harm to turn on the charm!

Now the rest...

Leigh

Hi,

The new rule is that unless you hold a passport from one of the few select countries then you must complete the IELTS test to prove the english requirement.

We submitted proof of doing english as a first language at school and even went as far as saying that we would get written confirmation that all schooling since birth was condiucted in English. Unfortunately it was still a no go and hubby had to do IELTS.

For some reason they have so far only asked for hubby's IELTS and nothing from me or our 18 year old son.

Please can anyone help if IELTS is required for 457?

I have now been told by another forum member (see the other threat I started regarding 457 visa) that IELTS is NOT REQUIRED for the 457? I understood it is if you did not have high school and university education in english adn if you are not a citizen of english speakign countries (first world). Your opinion?

I have looked at the next IELTS exams- Namibia and Mozambique are both 28 June. However Nam is closer but they say they only have the test there if there is more than 10 people as the examiner must come from JHB? Also that the oral must be done in the same country as the written? Also that they cannot guarentee you can do the oral on same day as written? How to I then plan my airtickets?

PLEASE HELP!

I'm confused and unsure how long the IELTS results is valid for. Zorba, maybe you can shed some light. Who told you 2 years?

I've mailed immi.gov.au and they replied as follows:

Dear Annette

The results usually last for twelve months.

Regards

Amanda Moore

PBSPC

Ph:08 9415 9727

Could this be the case? Is there any one who can assist me with this one?

Thanks

LIGGIE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Specimen pack (bought it in Jan) after both hubby and I failed the test in December... Got overall 7 but not 7 per category. Must add that we did not study/prepare at all. We rewrote on the 8th of March and made it. If anyone interested in the Specimen pack, we are based in Van Riebeeckshof(Bellville). Must say , it is a bit of a waste as they cater for both academic & general training in the pack. Anyway, we did the academic questions as well, just to be better prepared 2nd time around.

I found this site helpful: http://www.ielts-blog.com/

MAC's wife

Hi Tjaart

Hope you don't mind, but I merged our posts!

SS, JPS and I have discussed the test by PM and he mentioned to me that his agent is sending him the practice pack, so if anyone out there is interested drop me a PM and I'll arrange to get it to you (it costs about R400 "new", but second hand is free).

Cindylou

Hi Cindy

please send me a practice pack.. second hand is fine

alida@automationworx.co.za

thanks

alida

Hi all!

Only want to tell you that hubby (Theo) wrote his IELTS on 10 May 2008 and got the results on the 30th May 2008 AND scored a 8.5!

Now for a boertjie that is not to bad. Now I have to do mine on 14 and 15 June 08. Only need a 4.5 but is still nervous.

Good luck to all that needs to do the IELTS still.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...
Please can anyone help if IELTS is required for 457?

I have now been told by another forum member (see the other threat I started regarding 457 visa) that IELTS is NOT REQUIRED for the 457? I understood it is if you did not have high school and university education in english adn if you are not a citizen of english speakign countries (first world). Your opinion?

I have looked at the next IELTS exams- Namibia and Mozambique are both 28 June. However Nam is closer but they say they only have the test there if there is more than 10 people as the examiner must come from JHB? Also that the oral must be done in the same country as the written? Also that they cannot guarentee you can do the oral on same day as written? How to I then plan my airtickets?

PLEASE HELP!

Hi Emile,

I'm busy with my 457 and yes IELTS is a requirement. I will be doing my exam in Gaborone in Botswana on 28 June and the aural on 29 June. Contact Lettan.Modise@britishcouncil.org.bw for further info.

Hope this is not too late.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this issue has been a bit exhausted on the forum but I still don't have a clear answer...

Do I need to do the IELTS?

My fiance is the main applicant (with a trade)

Visa type is 175

I have completed all schooling until matric & 1 yr diploma in english.

We will not have to use my qualifications in obtaining points

If money was not an issue I would do the test but R1900 is a bit of a waste if I don't have to do it.

Please advise!?

Oh, also...would anyone be able to assist with study material? - will pay costs

Hello

As far as I know you don't need to do the Ielts test. I am in the same position as you are and all you have to do is show proof of schooling/studies in English. What I have done is got a letter from my highschool and one from the technikon that I attended saying that I did all my studies in english.

I also have my matric certificate and diploma which I will send.

I hope this helps!!! :ilikeit:

Hello

As far as I know you don't need to do the Ielts test. I am in the same position as you are and all you have to do is show proof of schooling/studies in English. What I have done is got a letter from my highschool and one from the technikon that I attended saying that I did all my studies in english.

I also have my matric certificate and diploma which I will send.

I hope this helps!!! :ilikeit:

Thanks, I'll do that. I have only just started the process & booked the IELTS test first for my fiance so I can do it later if required.

If any one need a specimen pack, please pm me

In preperation for the IELTS we are going through some online examples for the LISTENING part...

Now.. do they give the answers in the same order as they ask the questions ? ? ?, so can you work through the questions answering them from top to bottom ?

Dankie dankie ! :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...
In preperation for the IELTS we are going through some online examples for the LISTENING part...

Now.. do they give the answers in the same order as they ask the questions ? ? ?, so can you work through the questions answering them from top to bottom ?

Dankie dankie ! :ilikeit:

They give the answers in the same order, but they don't quote it like on the disk, we battled with that on the 14th June. I waited to hear the answer and when I got hold of myself, they were already at number 6....so I had to GUESS the first 5 answers.....BUT it paid off, I've got 8.5 out of 9 and my band score was 8. not too shabby nigel....ahhahaha

Good luck and dont stress TOO much!

Hi Guys, probably a dumb questions.

Is the EILTS test result, valid for the rest of your life? or does it expire?

Do other countries also except the EILTS Standard?

Hi Guys, probably a dumb questions.

Is the EILTS test result, valid for the rest of your life? or does it expire?

Do other countries also except the EILTS Standard?

Hi Sproeitjies,

The IELTS is valid for 2 years, although I have seen a post from someone who said that DIAC told her that because she was a stay-at-home mom the IELTS was only valid for a year. This is because she did not use English in a professional environment (workplace).

Other countries, e.g. Canada also recognises these standards (as far as I know)

Cheers,

DKH

Edited by DKH

Ek is baie deurmekaar, as my man oorgaan op 'n 457, moet ek Engels skryf of kan ek wag om eers in OZ te wees voor ek skryf, ek beplan om nie dadelik te werk nie en wil eers kinders in die skool kry ens ens?

Ek raak bietjie bekommerd as ek almal se aanmerkings hieroor lees.

Help asb

• 1 month later...
Hi

Is anyone writing IELTS in Braamfontein on Saturday, 30 August 2008?

Regards

Bev

Hi,

Jip, we can like to be writing the test on 30 Aug 2008..........no really I'm getting a bit stressed. I should be ok but I'm worried about my wife. When I met her 8 years ago, she battled to pronounce "toothpaste" and not "toefpaste"......she's from Middelburg in Mpumalanga :lol:

As sy ooit die post lees gaan die hare waai :ilikeit:

Good luck to all !!!!!!!!!!

Neville

Ek is baie deurmekaar, as my man oorgaan op 'n 457, moet ek Engels skryf of kan ek wag om eers in OZ te wees voor ek skryf, ek beplan om nie dadelik te werk nie en wil eers kinders in die skool kry ens ens?

Ek raak bietjie bekommerd as ek almal se aanmerkings hieroor lees.

Help asb

Hi

Ek dink dit hang af of julle binne 2 jaar wil aansoek doen vir PR. Die IELTS is 2 jaar geldig, anders moet jy daar skryf... maar dis nie so moeilik!

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I wrote the IELTS this past Saturday in CPT. I prepared with the examples of Cambridge Test 4-6, which is about 16 full exams.

i downloaded from http://artefact.lib.ru/languages/eng_textbooks_ielts.shtml. These exam seem to be set on the academic exams. i wrote the general test which I found very easy if you prepared on the above.

The oral was very similar too.

You will need to download a *.rar extraction tool, can get it from tucows.com. Trick on the IELTS download site mentioned above is to hold the "alt" key down after putting in the code given in the block, when starting download, especially if you are using Firefox browser. Also remember to download the MP3 files for listening test.

Will help my wife in next 3 weeks to prepare for her test end of September.

Good luck

Cheers