IELTS Test

Hi Everyone...

Just a quick Hallo, we just joined the forum and this is our first post. I'm very excited about this forum, seems like a great resource. We are writting our IELTS test on Saturday in Johannesburg, looking forward to putting it behind us, hopefully everything will go well :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryn

• Dreams

• MarcK

• Jordy

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys,

i just wrote the IELTS test on 17 Jan 09 and it was a breeze. i NEVER studied or went through any course material...

u will all do just fine... as long as your nerves are under control...

J

I am going to fetch our IELTS Results tomorrow morning, so I'm not sure if I should be excited or scared, lol :ilikeit:

Well done, was that Academic or General! Us teachers, doctors and nurses need to do the ACADEMIC.... and let met tell you THAT is not easy! I have a few friends who 'failed' it more than once!!! I was SO nervous when I did mine ... specially for an Afrikaans girl. Luckily we lived in Durban at that stage .... think that helped me alot! Also 'passed' the first time! Although its not a pass and fail, its the band score........

Hi DesertDaisy,

Are u sure you need to do the IELTS? From reading your posts you are going to apply for a 457 visa?? I can't find anything on DIMA to say that you need IELTS.

Have you considered emailing or even phoning DIMA to make sure of what the requirements are for that specific visa.

You will need the IELTS if you apply for PR later on but keep in mind that the IELTS test score is only valid for 1 year for DIMA's purposes.

Paula :(

** WE PASSED **

Scored 7.5 and 8.5 :ilikeit:

Hallo Frank en Leon

Bly vir julle part en dat dit so goed gegaan het. Ons het dieselfde dag as julle geskryf, maar in die Kaap en moet nog WAG vir die uitslae in die pos. Ek het al gewonder of daar nie 'n ander manier is om die uitslae te kan kry nie. Mens se senuwees wil dit nie aldag hou nie. Ons het ook gelukkig die general geskryf, maar ek het by die listening gedeelte ' uitgemiss' ( met rigting te doen gehad) en toe het ek nie 'n idee waar is wat nie. Het maar gepick en choose. Kyk, toe stress ek darem.

Groete

Dankie Karoo-Familie,

Ja ek moet saam jou stem, daai ringting skets by die listening het my ook bietjie onkant gevang hoor, maar eks net bly dis verby :ilikeit:

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

Just want to know, one of my kids turned 18 since we applied. Will it be necessary for him to write IELTS?

Regards

Gena

Hi - my son is 19y... he has a matric certificate with higher grade english plus a letter from school and uni stating his lectures were conducted in English....

I have not been asked for more and we have a case officer.... I think if he was educted in Afrikaans he may need to do IELTS....

Maybe someone else can help??

K

Hi Gena

My kids, 25 and 23 as 'dependants' on my visa application did not need to do the IELTS - actually neither did we.

Our agent advised this was not nessasary, if we could get proof of our english proficiency. I got a letter from my university stating that my masters degree was done in english, and my wife got a letter from her old school that her secondary schooling was in english - this was accepted and our PR visa's were approved.

hope this helps >

Hi There Steyn

Presume you asking me which visa ? If so - as my company transferred me here, I came over on a subclass 121 - employer nominated PR

Does anyone have study material for the Academic Test that they would like to sell?

Please PM me asap, thanx!!

We are applying for the 475 visa.Have the RPL ready only waiting for 1 more certificate and then we can certify and submit on-line.Can someone please tell me if english test is a must have.We are both english speaking and it is our main language. We have our reports from school that show we have passed english subject.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone!

Did IELTS X 3 before I got my 7 in each category!

Missed with .5 twice and passed today.

If you need examples and assistance - PM as I went for one-on-one classes and will help gladly with what to do exactly and what not to do!

I also have material and examples given to me by the facilitator when I went for classes.

I am working in an English environment and is 100% boer! BUT..... it is tricky.

Need assistance? PM me - its for free and I will assist.

Hi All,

Does anyone know of any changes to be made to the english minimum requirement? My husband only needed to get 5 on all 4 (176 visa - trades), he got between 6.5 and 7 for all except the listening he got 5.5. Our agent now told us that the requirement is going to be lifted to 6 from August but I can't find anything like that on the DIAC website.

If anyone knows anything about that please let me know.

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any changes to be made to the english minimum requirement? My husband only needed to get 5 on all 4 (176 visa - trades), he got between 6.5 and 7 for all except the listening he got 5.5. Our agent now told us that the requirement is going to be lifted to 6 from August but I can't find anything like that on the DIAC website.

If anyone knows anything about that please let me know.

I am also wondering what the current/future requirements are? Anyone have some input on this?

English levels

The following table shows the English language levels and the evidence you will need to provide.

Level of English Points Evidence required

Proficient 25 points

You must provide one of the following:

* IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing

or

* evidence of having achieved a score of `B´ or higher on each of the four (4) components of the OET Test.

Competent 15 points

You must provide one of the following:

* evidence that you hold an eligible passport

* IELTS TRF Number to show you have a band score of at least six (6) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing.

Myabe i am answering my own question here. So its a mininum of 6 on all components, or 7 to get max points.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there,

Regarding the IELTS test itself. I went for the test last Saturday and this is my 2c!

DO NOT GO UNPREPARED! I am 100% bilingual as I grew up speaking English. I am Afrikaans speaking and it is not so much the English that will catch you off guard as the format of the questions in the test. The moment you know what to expect you will be more at ease and able to finish the test within the time limit.

There is a lot of examples on the web. I found the practice test on the Canadian Immigration website very helpful.

Armani

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for all the info. My husband is writing his test in June and so glad that we can make sure that he is prepared.

:ilikeit: