IELTS Test

Hi

I saw on another thread that some people are waiting very long for appointments for IELTS. A friend got a booking within three weeks at the Language Lab in JHB, they booked in Aug, wrote in Sept. We booked at the BC in April and only got a booking in Aug! They also had much better service from Lang Lab, plus they actually got a date on which their results will be ready. They might also be very full already, but it might be worth a try. See this link:

Language Lab:

D

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryn

• Dreams

• MarcK

• Jordy

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone here also writing the academic exam in Pretoria on the 27th of September?

My English is not that bad, but the nerves are kicking in already. :rolleyes:

I am mainly using the Scott's English Website to prepare for this, and some of the reading material seems quite tough.

Maybe this is a good thing as they are preparing you thorougly for the real exam? :ilikeit:

Is anyone here also writing the academic exam in Pretoria on the 27th of September?

My English is not that bad, but the nerves are kicking in already. :rolleyes:

I am mainly using the Scott's English Website to prepare for this, and some of the reading material seems quite tough.

Maybe this is a good thing as they are preparing you thorougly for the real exam? :ilikeit:

Hi

Where are you writing in Pretoria? How did you book?

D

Hi

Where are you writing in Pretoria? How did you book?

D

I applied in March already with the British Council, and on Monday received the e-mail containing the venue details. It specified it as being at the Museum Park, Old Fire Brigade Building, Central Pretoria, Corner Bosman and Minnaar Street, for which I am VERY thankful. :rolleyes:

Edit: Just noticed my speaking exam is two days later, on a Monday, at the same address.

Edited by eckotango

Hi All

I'm a bit confused – please help! :) We are doing a 175 application and to get the required points we needed to score a 7 band score on the IELTS. If you look at the Immi.gov.au web site it says "show a band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing". When you get your results back it breaks the scores down in the different categories and then gives you a band score. The 7 we require, is it taken from the band score or do you need to score at least a 7 in each category? What happens if you score lower in one category but your band score is higher then 7????

Al

Maybe this has been covered and I might have read over it... scrolling through...

JUST WANTED TO KNOW:

How long do you actually WRITE the IELTS....? Someone mentioned 8-5pm but that sounds a bit long.

We also booked through the British Counsil.

Thanks!

Ing

Hi All

We are both English first language saffer's writing our IELTS test in November. Is it difficult? Is it recommendable to get the specimen pack? I was just wonering what other English first language members thought.

thanks

:ilikeit::)

Hi Jumbojet, If you are English speaking you should have absolutely no problems. Have a look at some specimen tests on the Internet to see how the questions are asked and remember to write the answers down for the listening section as you hear them. The test is not trying to trick you, the questions are geared just to see how fluent you are and they range from very basic to more tricky but not impossible.

Yellow - as far as I know and I could be wrong my understanding is that you have to get a 7 in each of the individual sections. Sorry about that.

Ing - you have to get there quite early I think they recommend two hours before because there are long queues and they have to go through everyone's details. The actual exam I remember as being about 2-3 hours - which is the three sections plus the breaks in between for explanations and stuff. If you have your oral the same day then you might have to hang around after you write until your turn to go for the oral comes up. So it isn't impossible to spend the day there. Take sarmies :ilikeit:

Hi Sasher

Thanks for your input. I guess one starts self-doubting and when I think about it.....well English is really all I know so it should be a relative breeze. But I will check out the specimen tests and see how it goes from there. I wish it was the 8th November already.....

Jumbojet

Hi Jumbojet, my hubby wrote the normal IELTS and he said it was pretty easy, he got 8's & 7's. And he is not an academic! He found the Writing the most difficult, but he got 7 for it. He did one or two of the free practice things on the internet which he found useful to know the format beforehand. You should be fine if English is your first language, so don't stress! :ilikeit:

Hi Eva

Thanks for the info. It really is great being able to read everyone's experiences on this forum and I am sure will help a lot with the stress part of the entire process.

Jumbojet

Hi all, the new timeline website now has a place for you to put in the dates of your IELTS exams and the results dates before you apply for a visa. Go to www.saaustraliatimeline.com ;)

Hi

I've copied the following from the immi website English language

If you read further you'll also note that any other family members over the age of eighteen should write the test

The second instalment is currently AUD 2 765

If anyone (still in SA) is planing on taking the test in the near future I have a copy of the specimen material which I will gladly give to you, on the understanding that you'll pass it on to the next "wannabe" in need. We found it helpful, particularly as it gave us an idea of what to expect, the format of the test etc. [ post edit 29/2/08 To all those who have sent me mails recently requesting the pack, please note that I sent it out two years ago, and have lost track of who has it now. ]

You can also look at this link for a sample of the different tests.

Cindylou

Hi CIndylou,

I also want to add that a practice book and Cd was lent to me. I wrote on Saturday. If anyone wants to use it next, please Pm me. I am in the highway area in Durban, If any one wants to use it and they are far a way, they can organise a courier.

Regards

Joanna

Hi All

I'm a bit confused – please help! :ilikeit: We are doing a 175 application and to get the required points we needed to score a 7 band score on the IELTS. If you look at the Immi.gov.au web site it says "show a band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing". When you get your results back it breaks the scores down in the different categories and then gives you a band score. The 7 we require, is it taken from the band score or do you need to score at least a 7 in each category? What happens if you score lower in one category but your band score is higher then 7????

Al

Hi

You have to have 7 or more on all four components to claim the points. I see some forum members had their writing or speaking remarked and got better marks.

D

Greetings all,

I wrote the test in PE on the 27th. Went well. Prof du Toit and his wife made the experience as pleasant as possible, it really is nice to deal with such good people.

All of the best to all candidates still on the waiting list. There is not much to stress about.

Regards

Heine

Hi, Everybody!

I've read through most of this but all starting to swim a bit! :ph34r: My question is this: If we go over on a 475 (or is it 457? Can never remember :ilikeit: ) and want to apply for PR once in Oz, can we do the IELTS Test there? Or, would it be best to do it here now any way? What if we don't get our application in within a year? Also, we've been told that it's cheaper to do it in Oz. Is that true?

This forum is such a source of info!!! Am really glad I joined!!! :whome:

S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just thought I would recall my experience. My wife and I wrote the exams in Durban on the 11th October. The experience overall was a lot more professional then I thought it would be. However we were promptly told to be there at 08:00 sharp and if you were late you would be turned away.

So we got there at 07:40 and waited. And waited and waited and waited. Eventually at 09:30 we were called to register. At about 09:45 we started.

Listening is first. You listen and answer 40 questions as you go along. I would recommend you get some practice material first as even being a English speaker it can become a little tricky. Next we did the reading section. Again 40 questions on material that you are given to read through. Lastly you are given 2 topics to write on. My first was to respond to a job application - 150 words. Next was a 250 word essay on - "Do you believe children should be scared of their teachers - Talk on both aspects of this"

We then had our orals the next day. Painfully it was near Berea and we live in Umdloti. The orals were very easy. I had to talk on young adults - What I thought of them, do they have a better or worse life then the young adults of the old S.A. And then I had to prepare a 2 mins discussion on a teenager I know - Very easy. My wife had to talk on animals - What is your favorite ect ect. Other topics I was aware of were traditions of your name and "Tell me about the last visitor to visit you at home"

Anyway we now wait 13 days for our results, let me know if you have any questions,

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Also just sharing our experience with the British Council... although we had a few disagreements, all worked out fine...

24 Sep - applied electronically for the exam of 25 Oct. According to the BC website the 25th of Oct was still available.

26 Sep - received an email from the BC thanking us for our application and requesting our proof of payment and a copy of my husband's ID.

6 Oct - did the payment and send them the proof and ID.

9 Oct - an email from the BC, requesting a copy of the ID, again.

13 Oct - As we did not hear from them again, we send an email requesting confirmation of our booking.

15 Oct - another request from BC for a copy of my husband's ID. Said they need it to process the application. So again, third time now, we send the ID.

17 Oct - phoned the BC to confirm. They told my husband that he is not booked for 25 Oct – apparently they were still waiting for his ID copy, which we have been sending, three times already. We could not believe this! After a huge fight and discussion with the Customer Services Manager, she promised to look into the matter and feedback to us on Monday, 20 Oct.

21 Oct - no feedback yet

22 Oct - received a phone call from the Customer Services Manager apologising for the misunderstanding and admitting that their Clerk has made a mistake. She (the Clerk) did receive the three ID copies, but for some reason did not finalize the booking for 25 Oct. And now, unfortunately they can’t add him for Saturday as it is already overbooked. Unbelievable!

22 Oct - 1st confirmation letter received via email. Test will be on 8 Nov... hopefully all will go well.

And then, we would like to thank all of you who contributed with tips and websites in order to prepare. I've written it all down for hubby and he has already started on them. Very helpful indeed! So, thanks again!

And to all of you still waiting for your results, or those waiting to do the test - good luck!

Hang in there...

P & L

I have booked on 3 October and wrote on 11 October with the speaking on 16 October.

We are therefore busy with the wait - Yes we are waiting actively and tomorrow is day 13 after the written exam. I am however not sure wether thay count the 13 days from the Written or from the last tests.

We did a lot of sample tests and did pretty well but I found 11 October difficult. Also the Speaking for I know little about art and culture and my wife knows little about technology.

But still have faith. It seems that 7/9 is about 30/40.

Anybody that wrote the same day here on the forum?

Kind regards.

Greetings all,

Well, on day 13 after writing the test, the postman delivered a registered envelope containing my results.

9 for speaking, 9 for reading, 8.5 for listening (my wife wants a re-mark, thinks a 4 is more like it) and 8 for writing, giving me a 8.5 band score. Not too shabby.

Glad thats over with.

heine

Just wondering: What is the 'band' they all talk about?

How much do you need for the points? We plan to go over on a PR175 so what is the cut-off lowest you can score?

xx

Thanks

Hi All!

I see a lot of people say that if you are English speaking, first language, you would have no problem with the test. Have there been any Afrikaans speaking people who wrote the test who could give some feedback? Have any of you failed the test (less than 7 when 7+ is necessary) and what happens then? Can you repeat it?

Die Fourie's

Hi all,

Hubby and I wrote yesterday and found it to be easy. If you speak English at home you have nothing to worry about.

Started at just after 9am. Listening first. You just have to concentrate but it is really not hard. They play a CD and you have to answer questions. Then i did the reading bit. I did the academic test and had to read three articles. They were not really professional journal articles but more like the stuff you would find in the Sunday times lifestyle section. One on the industrial revolution, a psychology article on children and one on vanishing british woodlands. Then the academic writing. Had to work on a graph looking at television content on a british channel and write about would female leaders result in less violence and conflict then male leaders. Do the speaking on wed. But it is really not hard.

Good luck all!

Al

Hi I have a question....

I have booked for our IELTS tests on Sat 8 November in Durban. I have also sent in our visa applications for holiday visas to Australia for next year. It only dawned on me that our passports are currently at the Australian consulate for visa processing (been there 10 days and they say it takes 20 days to process) so I dont think I will have our passports back in time for the IELTS tests.

Can we use ID books as suitable form of ID or do we need our passports????

Thanks

Marc