IELTS Test

Hi Almal

Kan iemand my asseblief help?

My man is nie 100% engels nie en hy moet hierdie IELTS toets doen. Kan enige iemand help met raad asseblief vir wat hy moet en nie moet doen nie. Ons is al amper 3 jaar hier in Australia was geborg gewees met die 457 visa en doen nou ons 857 PR visa en glo my die wat hulle sê as jy vir 'n Oz firma vir meer as 2 jaar werk dit tel nie want ons altwee moet die toets doen.

Hy stress baie omdat hy sê wat maak hy as hy dop?

Ons het die boek bestel maar het nog niks ontvang in die pos nie. Ons sit die tweede naweek in Februarie en ons moet Canberra toe gaan vir dit wat omtred 3 ure se ry van waar ons nou bly. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryn

• Dreams

• MarcK

• Jordy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Kan amper nie dink dat julle 'n probleem met die toets sal hê nie, julle is al so lank aan die Engels praat daar in AUZ!!

Wat my bietjie onkant gevang het was die "English Writing" gedeelte, ek is so gewoond aan 'n rekenaar en "spell check" dat ek bietjie water getrap het! So, deur so bietjie te oefen om in Engles met die hand te skryf sal baaaaaie help!

Die luister, lees en praat was relatief maklik gewees.

Ek het IELTS gaan skryf met geen voorbereiding nie, het toe nognie van hierdie forum geweet nie en het maar by die diepkant ingespring! (En genadiglik kon ek goed genoeg swem! :blush: )

Maria

Hi all

Anyone who applied for Skilled Independent Visa - Accountant : IELTS - am I right in registering for the general IELTS ? (and not the academic). I don't want to make it more difficult that it has to be.

Thanks

<_<

You can also do the ETS TOEFL test. It is recognized with the IELTS in Australia. I quickly checked and there are two test centers in SA. One in Cape Town and one in Johannesburg. Here is the link to the website: http://www.ets.org/

It is a little bit cheaper than IELTS and normally has more sessions. On the TOEFL site, they will give you a few practice sessions once you register.

There is a test centre in Durban as well!!!!

Toefl test centres

I see there are only two dates set for 2008 with the first one being this Saturday...12 January and the next on the 10th of May.

Edited by Gremlin

Hey there...

Is there anybody writing the test on the 16th February in Durbs? It is my test date and was looking for company.

I am just grateful to be finally getting my test date after many calls to the IELTS officers in JHB. I found it very irritating, once they received my bucks last year that was it I had to run after them.

I was the only person (main applicant) asked to write the test. Will they ask later for my wife to do the same? I could not understand why I had to write because i'm English speaking, work in an English environment and have studied at tertiary level. It's crazy!!!

Regards

HELP! I am trying to fill out our application forms online, and they asking the following question :

Which IELTS test format are you taking?

Please note that it is the candidate's responsibility to select the module that best meets their needs. If you are not sure you must ask the agent or organization you are applying or to. The General Training is not available on every test date."

* Academic

* General training

Which one am i supposed to select???

NEVERMIND!!! I found the answer! Hee hee hee.... :angry:

Hi Everyone

I'm a bit confused :) after reading one of the responses I saw on this website in regards to IELTS and will really appreciate if someone can help me with the following:

1) Do you need to submit my IELTS with the initial lodging of your visa apllication (175) or can it be submitted later on (say when your medical is requested)? (will save a lot of time as the current waiting period to do the test is 4 months)

2) We are applying for the visa (175) based on my spouse's qualifications only. Do I still need to submit an IELTS.

3) If they need an IELTS from me, will they request it upon receiving our application or only when a CO is assigned??

Thanx :ilikeit:

Cindylou,

We are in process of booking our IELTS. Not sure whether we should do Academic or General Training. I will be interested in the study material, but 2nd hand is fine at moment. If you still have it.

Thanks

Andrea

I just sat the IELTS test in Melbourne today. i never bought any study material other than the tips I found in the posts. I am not sure if the tests are the same as in SA but it definitely was not all that difficult. It is very long though.

The test started with the listening test. 40 questions in total. I found reading the questions upfront and knowing what answers to listen out for was a great help. Thanks for the tip regarding this too :ilikeit:

Next the reading test followed; again loads of material to read in such a short space of time and then to answer 40 questions on the text.

The two writing tasks were a letter ( 150 words) and a for / against report ( 250 words) an hour was given to do these.

I finished at 12pm and had to go back to do the speaking test at 3pm. This took about 10 minutes. The invigilator asked me why I was there as she said I should be regarded as a native speaker. i then had to explain the whole immigration requirement for South Africans.

So to all of you who is stressing about the test you can do it :ilikeit:

1) Do you need to submit my IELTS with the initial lodging of your visa apllication

my understanding is that if you are going to do an online application, you will not be allocated the points assiciated with the english ability & will also have to provide the date on which you have booked, in order to qualify for the minimum requirement. (i.e. even if you don't need it to increase your qualifying points, you need a minimum proficiency to qualify at all)

On a manual application, you can send it at a later date, but I would think that with your medicals would be a bit late, as by that time your CO would already have had a look at it and the lead time for an appointment seems to be about 3 months

Hope I helped & didn't cloud the water for you

Jan

Edited by JanCpt

my understanding is that if you are going to do an online application, you will not be allocated the points assiciated with the english ability ......

On a manual application, you can send it at a later date...........

Jan

Thanx Jan

Are you sure that on a manual application they will wait for the the IELTS test but on th on line system application they will not consider the points when you submit the test later? It seems a bit harsh :D as the same procedure must be followed for both anyway :)

Can someone maybe comment on this?????

How did you answer the question on the application form:

How many years have you been studying English?

I did not study English, except for the few years at school. Does speaking English count?

Hi Godan

I suggest that you book for a IELTS test as you will not recieve your Visa if you haven't done the test.You can find all the detail you need on the web site www.britishcouncil.gov. They do not have the detail of their bank account on the website so here it is ,Standard Bank acc no 002336987 and branch no is 004805 .The contact number is 0860012233

Cheers

Dan

Yes, thanks. I paid Brittish council for the IELTS test, but i want to know how is how to answer the question:

"How many years have you been studying English?"

on the application form.

I only had English at school and spoke English at the office. Does that count?

Hey Cindylou,

Thanks for this, I have a feeling that JPS will be very interested... :blush:

Will contact him to let him know.

Love

SS

:)

Hi from WAM,

Does anybody out there have a second hand practise pack

Look fwd to hearing from you :ilikeit:

Yes, thanks. I paid Brittish council for the IELTS test, but i want to know how is how to answer the question:

"How many years have you been studying English?"

on the application form.

I only had English at school and spoke English at the office. Does that count?

Godan

I picked the 9 + years ,I figured I had English at school for 12 years .

Dan

Hi everybody

I don't know whether I am just stupid or in too much of a hurry, but I am not sure how to go about making an appointment for an IELTS test!! Can we apply online and where exactly? I am also not getting any joy by phoning the local numbers!! Please help!

Thanks

Joan

I downloaded the application form from their website - there is a Word doc, Fill it in and email ti th them. The email address is in the doc. Or you can print the pdf and kax it to them, together with the proof of payment.

I am also not getting any joy by phoning the local numbers!! Please help!

Did you get thru to the lollipop lady?

Hi All,

I've been through this thread and maybe I'm just plain dof, I can't find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone please tell me if we have to write the IELTs test on a 457 visa? We are here one year now and hubby is working full time for a government institution. We are busy with our PR now and need to now if we need the test and do I need to write it also even if I'm just a plain old 'housewife'

Thanks,

Kannidood.

If I remember correctly you will have to. Even if you have been there for a while. Somebody commented on how silly it is and I agree.

Anyboy else struggling with the British Council? There service is worse than telcom's!!! Never get through on the phone and nobody replies emails!

Everyone good luck with British Council, they are hard to get hold of.. When u get throuhg ask for the person's direct phone number... it helps !

I wrote in Cape Town, when the English Requirement was not yet compulsory, so it was then an easier process...

Then hubby wrote in Botswana, which was so much easier than dealing with the British Council in Jhb.

Their process: Its apply, pay and pray for them to give you a date to write close to the time you wish to apply! Or go to Namibia/Botswana or Malawi! Botswana was very safe, not as I expected.

I agree . I've been battling to get my test date confirmed and that after they have already received my payment two weeks ago.