189/190's Lodged August 2016

ChrisH

Hie guys, we reached the 5 month mark last week. I called dibp last week and the lady told me that the application was within the processing times. She said some applications are taking 6 months. I hope we get the grants soon guys. We're almost there.  

@Dorasi great that you managed to speak directly to DIBP, at least you know all is in order and it is being processed. Very frustrating for it to take as long as 6 months - is that the maximum processing time? Do you then just phone them again? No harm in being on their case regularly!

Sorry @Kevin - looks like you're in same boat as @Dorasi, perhaps you can call DIBP also just to chase them up? Unless you have already.

Hang in there guys. It will all be worth it in the end.

Hi

Damn - sorry to hear that. This is also not good news for me :mellow:

Means that my lodged application in November might take another 2 months. I really was hoping to get a answer soon. 

I feel like I am going mad. :D:D:D

Thanks, @Waynec26. I think your family and @Deezo's family were both flying out this week. I hope the first few days are going really well.

@JoVincent, yes, I also telephoned DIBP. They couldn't tell me much. The message I got was similar to what @Dorasi was told. As far as the call centre operator could tell, everything was in normal processing.

On the plus side, I also recently got a reponse to an email query. It was actually my second email query. You always get the automated response first, but it seems you don't always get a human response. My second query email asked a more specific question, and they did answer. It took almost exact a month to get a reply, but we were very happy to receive it. It was our first human communication from a VPO.

The wait continues.

• Like 2

So its day 4 in Australia and its been absolutely amazing!! We are staying in a suburb called Illawong, which is part of the Sutherland Shire and its stunning out here :D

We arrived on Tuesday morning and felt like death after travelling for approximately 28hrs so we didn't do much on Tuesday. We took a drive to the local shopping centre to get some needed items and were so surprised at how clean everything was! The fresh produce and variety of food is just on another level to what we used to get back home.

Wednesday we caught a bus into Miranda to sort out out Banking account activation's etc, then on to Carringbah to sort out our Medicare which was painless! The people are so friendly and always willing to assist (which is something we are not familiar with in SA) :ilikeit:

Today we went back to Carringbah to sort out of Drivers Licence conversions and my wife's Work with Children Clearance, which took no more than 20mins and again the people were so friendly and super-efficient in getting things done and we were told it would take 3 days to 12 weeks for the working with children clearance to come back and by the time we got home she already had an email confirming all was in order with her certificate :o

Now we just need to see how long its going to take for our bank cards and drivers licence cards to be sent to us via the post...

All-in-all its been a remarkable first 4 days and getting to celebrate Aussie Day here was a really great way to be welcomed into our new home :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 6

@Deezo - so glad to hear that everything is going well there. It is fantastic that everything is falling into place.

I am surprised that your bank cards were not ready for you when you went to activate your bank account. When did you open your bank account?

Please keep us updated on how it goes for you - really nice to read updates like this and it helps us prepare for when we come over.

• Like 1

@Deezo

How wonderful. Cannot believe you are actually in Oz. We have walked this path together from the start. So pleased things are going smoothly.

• Like 1

Thanks @FingersCrossed & @Husky :) 

Yeah its absolutely stunning here!

I am starting to worry now about work as i have almost been on this kinda holiday mode, which has been eating into my rands....:unsure:

I really hope and pray that something comes up soon from the interviews etc that i have lined up!

Hope the plans are going well on your side @FingersCrossed and i hope you get some positive feedback soon @Husky :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Hello guys, by the Grace of God our visa was granted today. @Kevin I hope your grant is on the way. 

Will be leaving in 2 weeks to Southern inland (Queanbeyan Nsw). 

Thank you guys for all the encouraging words during this journey. 

• Like 4

Congrats @Dorasi!

Lodged

Granted

Work days

Waynec26

2016-08-08

2016-12-15

MonTage

2016-08-09

2016-09-06

Dorasi

2016-08-09

2017-01-30

JoVincent

2016-08-12

2016-10-17

Kevin

2016-08-19

Sharlene

2016-08-25

Deezo

2016-08-27

2016-11-10

ChrisH

2016-08-29

2016-11-11

Edited by ChrisH
Fixed Dorasi's colors
  • Like 2

Congrats @Dorasi

There is still hope. We're on day 103.

Good luck with the move.

• Like 1

Hello @Kevin, I bet you will receive yours very soon. I know it's not easy, just hang in there. 

@Husky, there's hope. You will get your grant very soon. 

I am praying for you guys to get your visas. 

• Like 2

@Dorasi - Congratulations - now the fun stuff of planning your move over can begin. I am busy going through stuff we can sell and getting the property ready for the market. Hope it sells quick :-)

• Like 1

@Fingerscrossed, thank you. We are already busy sorting out everything. I am also selling stuff, hopefully they will sell. We're booking our flights today and Airbnb for accommodation. Good luck to you too. 

Congratulations @Dorasi that is wonderful news! Leaving in 2 weeks already, wow!! Excited for you.

We have booked our flights for the 9th March - we spend 8 nights in Perth with my aunt, uncle & cousins, then fly onto Brisbane on the 18th where we are settling permanently. @Deezo I also can't quite believe you are there already, well done on getting that admin done. Will be feeling exactly the same as you when we arrive, no jobs as yet, positive interviews with recruiters but they only want my husband applying 3 weeks prior to flying, any earlier and they're not interested! So it's incredibly stressful the idea of being jobless in a new foreign city. But having faith that we will be ok and will find work, and so will you @Deezo don't worry (well hard not to :)).

Hang in there @Husky and @Kevin (and all other waiting on there visas). This "when is the visa coming" stage will be over I hope for you soon, then you will enter the "how am I going to pack up all this crap", and "will I find a job as a foreigner" stage!! Each seems to have its own set of stress. But of course I understand that the biggest step is just getting that visa so you can move forward, so I pray you have them as soon as possible.               

• Like 4

Congratulations @Dorasi :) 

Now @Kevin & @Sharlene just need to get theirs and we are all in the "Granted" club :ilikeit:

So we have been here a week as of yesterday and we have had some challenges...

Learning to use the buses and trains is rather confusing if you dont know where you are etc :blush-anim-cl:

But i caught the train into the city today on my own and knew where i was going somewhat so felt good!

The city is just manic crazy here in Sydney and everyone walks around and is on a mission somewhere, which is something im not familiar with coming from Durban and using a car for everything all the time!! I may lose a lot of weight walking around in the heat and just in general as the walks are 500m here and 1km there so it all adds up ;) 

The food on sale is unbelievable!!

Such a huge variety but rather costly on the ZAR :wacko:

Had my first interview yesterday and then a follow-up again this morning and then another after that with another firm.

Tomorrow i have my final interview scheduled at this stage and pray something comes of it!

Just seems there is a lot of "red tape" here with strict requirements that need to be met in order to work here - for myself and for my wife, which is proving to be a challenge but hopefully not too much longer and we will have something secured so we can start planning then next steps :D

Hang in there everyone, because the REAL work starts when you get here!! Lol 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Deezo said:

Hang in there everyone, because the REAL work starts when you get here!!

You're making me so jealous, I feel like I just need to get on a plane and get to Aus.  

• Like 1

@Deezo, that's great to hear. Its a pity i am not in the city anymore or else we could have met. But we can still arrange that :-)

You will most definitely loose weight with all the walking, well i certainly did.

Best of luck. keep us updated.

• Like 1

Hahahaha @ChrisH its not all fun and games ;)  but i suppose the sooner you can get things going the better i guess...

@Yuvi you can get in touch if you ever heading out to the city, but we are staying in an area called Illawong which is in the Sutherland Shire and its stunning out here!

Thanks @FingersCrossed :) will be sure to keep you all informed and once i have enough time then i want to also do a little blog on here about our process from beginning to now, but i just need the time....:wacko:

13 hours ago, Deezo said:

@Yuvi you can get in touch if you ever heading out to the city, but we are staying in an area called Illawong which is in the Sutherland Shire and its stunning out here!

Will do, PM me your details.

Edited by Yuvi
  • Like 1