Why is it so hard?

SandraDee

Starting over in a foreign country with no family, friends or support system can be hard, depending on your circumstances and your attachment to your friends and family in South Africa. It's like going to a new school - you have no clue where the toilets are, you know no one and all the teachers look scary. Once you find your feet, it is smooth sailing. For us, that was the hardest part, if I could even call it that. More like challenging...

I also think the type of visa you have also contributes a lot to your experience!

If you have a temporary visa, it can suck a lot of your joy at being here, right out of you!!! Look at all the people on a 457 that has to go back due to unemployment... That hangs like a sword over every move you make, every minute of your day!

That's an extremely good point. I've personally seen people on 457s being abused. Companies know they have you by the scruff of your neck, if you don't give in to their whims they can fire you and then you have to go back to SA.

• Like 1

Yes a 457 is hard, it is scary and insecure. When you finally get PR it is like the sword of Damacles is lifted. Even better when you get the little blue passport.

I have moved countries before, when i was much younger and with a lot less responsibility and I can safely say that the older you are, the harder it gets. Not only logistically (finding schools, jobs, places to stay etc.) but emotionally as well. You have to consider the other members of your family and how it affects them - the upheaval and havoc it created in their lives before we left SA and after we arrived here.

I always considered how the rest of my family would react, how my husband and daughter would adapt and how much it will affect them, so much so that I never once stopped to think about how I felt - that's because I'm rather good at shutting down my feelings, probably due to self-preservation instincts.

Eight months down the line I have asked myself, am I settled?... And the truth is that I don't really care, as long as my family is settled. They are getting there, my husband slower than my daughter, but they are definitely getting there.

• Like 2

Agreed on that Pell-this is also my second time moving countries.

The first time was a breeze, I was very young and full of the joys that only youth and energy can give you.

I always thought of myself as massively adaptable, a traveller and explorer at heart.

I was rudely awoken to my rather limited perspective on this move.

I am ashamed that I have not adapted with more grace and skill.

I feel guilty that I basically forced my husband to move, and he has actually adapted better than I have.

I have learnt a lot of things about myself, I am not unaware of my own shortcomings.

This has all been a bit of a surprise to me.......

Just goes to show-when you enter unfamiliar territory you really never know how you are going to react.

You just keep learning about yourself-and it's not always a pleasant task .

Adversity is the biggest teacher- hopefully all my lessons are all almost learnt.

• Like 2

I have been lurking in this thread for a few days and it is always good to hear different stories.

Karinwise, do you think that you would think differently about the move if the business had taken off?

• Like 1

We are still in the honeymoon phase as we have only been here for 2 months. I've had one occasion when I found it hard - my son had a serious temperature and I couldn't just ring up my local doctor for an appointment but we found one and it was okay.

Other than that, we have loved every second. We dont have family here but we have made so many friends so quickly, weekends are packed and most people i come across are willing to engage and get to know you and your family.

It has been a wonderful experience and I hope that yours is too!