Garrick's Mini-Migration Blog

Garrick

Thanks for the update Michelle... that is exactly what Jenilee felt when she went back to SA a few weeks ago.

People say that it is a culture shock to come to Australia... I have always said that this is nonsense... It is no shock to come to Australia, this is the way we are meant to live. The culture shock is when you go back to South Africa. :blink:

Well, just a few more days left till they're finally HOME.

Yesterday I had a rubbish day on public transport... the trains running slightly off time made me miss busses/trams.

It's not fun sitting eating dinner alone in front of the TV... how on earth did I ever do that before getting married? Boggles my mind.

Amy plays whenever we Skype - she "hides" by turning her head away or by coverring her face with her taggy. It's so cute.

On a nice note, I got a nice little tax return from the ATO - after sitting and waiting a few months for them to investigate it.

The weather here is still bizarre... today looks like (from what they've forcast) it'll be just like a JHB day... starts cool... then heats up to 28 in the afternoon and rains. Let's wait and see shall we... apparently another "storm/flood warning" weekend ahead.. with the temperature at one point forecast as a maximum of 16 on Sunday!

This last weekend I watched RED, which I can recommend as a bit of light-hearted action. No idea how the ticket pricing works sometimes. I looked online in the morning, and it was 17.50 before their online charge. Around an hour before the show, the online price had changed to 18.00. I went to the movies (Southland) and bought the ticket there, and I paid 14.50. ??? I think the dude made a mistake... concession amount?

Went to the JB Hifi sale last night...but left disappointed when the special didn't apply to printers and then they wouldn't even come close to matching DSE, nor would they apply their 50% discount to ink+paper combo packs. So I have ordered the printer from MSY (near Southland) and the ink combo online for a lot cheaper. So don't go believing all the "specials" and "sales" you see in the stores.

-G

• Like 1

Yesterday I went to the airport to pick up my girls. Had to wait for a bit, but then I saw them come out and I watched other people's reactions out of the corne of my eye as Amy at first stood by mommy laughing when she saw pappa. Then with a little encouragement from pappa, came running across the floor and almost jumped onto me with her arms around my neck. She had a hard time keeping her dummy in her mouth she was smiling so much. :holy:

Michelle was a bit pooped, so it was a quick dinner at home for the two of them... daddy ate last... mistake... she wanted to play, so there was lots of tears because pappa was eating. She sat between us, with mommy reading a book...watching pappa's every mouthful. When I took the last slice of bread off my plate she was "pappa done, pappa done!"...and then she watched me closely till I was properly done.

Played a bit with her, and at 20H30 Michelle was ready to crash...so we get Amy changed and I got her a bottle. Then tried to get her to sleep with me in her bed - which she was sooooo keen on. Having pappa there with her was so cool... and pappa had to put his arm down so she could sleep on his shoulder.

At 01H00 I was awoken by "Pappa?". Then a few minutes later. "Pappa? uppie"... oh good grief. Then came the stroking of the lips... which really tickles when you sleep (she must have worked this out with Michelle), the fingers feeling all over my face, in my ear, up my nose... Eventually at 01H30 I gave in and proceeded to start tickling her... which she loved. I then took her through to our room where we tried to get her to go back to sleep... fail...

At 02H30 I was standing in the kichen making toast with vegimite followed by some crackers while we watched (soundless) NASCAR racing - trying to bore her to sleep. Went back to our bed and I think she eventually stopped kicking and prodding us around 03H30... so managed to get a little more sleep.

It was so cute opening my eyes though at 01H00 and seeing her eyes open, watching me with a smile.

I left this morning at 06H30 with both of them in near-coma like states. Am so glad to have my girls home. It's amazing how much more Amy has started talking in the last 3 weeks... I've got some vocab to catch up on. :P

-G

Hi Garrick,

I am so glad your girls are home. Sounds like you are going to need to catch up on some sleep though.

Enjoy having your family back together.

T

Ain't those little ones sweet - and they exactly know how to twist one's arm - with jetlag involved, not much you can do to have your night turned upside down ! hehe

So, 1 week on and everyone seems to be back into a normal sleep routine.

This weekend was...

Saturday: Toy sale, Bunnings, school fair, home (midday nap for A), a different bunnings - ants! We got ants in the kitchen!! At the fair Michelle picked up a crocheted (??? Spelling???) jersey and scarf for Amy for next winter for what, $3...what a bargain.

I put out Ant Rid drops as well as stuck a "trap" near where saw them comming in. That night they were still happily chowing down on the liquid. Not seen them since...all gone.

Sunday: Bentleigh fair - they close down Center Road from one side of the railway line to other - about 500m or more of road closed off for all kinds of stuff. Wasn't amazing, but was still nice to see all the families just walking around happily on the road - won amy a SMALL frog this time...no more space for adult sized stuff toys. Then was home again for midday nap. During which time I decided to attack the garage shed.

When we moved in, it was filthy. Grass growing up inside the walls, and dust/leaves everywhere. But we didn't have time to clean. And since then I had that spell of finding numerous Red Backs. So I put on some old'ish clothes (oops... white shirt) and some heavy duty gloves and proceeded to empty the garage of all out boxes. After that it was wripping up the grass and pulling out all the webs by hand (squashed one RB by hand... I felt it go pop), followed later by a brush over the whole garage...lots of dust <cough> <cough>. Then I used our nice new (once clean, now no more) 2000w blower using it's vacuum option to suck up everything. Then it was some Zero for remains of the grass, and a repacking of the garage in an orderly manner. During this time, M&A played in the sand pit, and chatted to the neighbour over the fence.

Then a shower and off to the beach for Amy to play Kamikazi kid. It was quite windy, and the waves were quite rough, but Amy was just keen on running in the water (permanently attached to my hand). Every now and then I'd ask her if she wants to go back to Mommy... no! All was good until a particularly large wave came and I had to yoink her up to my chest height. After that she was happy to go. :blink: It's amazing...she is like me... loves the sea... will need to teach her the respect I was taught for it.

Awesome weekend... awesome weather... great to just be able to do all of this without a care.

-G

I think this blog has served most of its purpose. I'll post again should anything major happen or when we hit our yearly "anniversary".

Thanks to all for all the positive comments. Going to take a self-imposed break from the forums for a while.

Good luck to all those arriving soon.

If anyone needs my help on anything, feel free to PM me; I'll get the email notice and get back to you.

au revoir!

-G

Thanks Garrick and MichellO, it was really nice to follow your settling-in process. We all still in process, just loves these stories. All the best and enjoy all the privileges of a safe environment.

HI Garrick & Michelle,

We are gonna miss your posts but do understand your reasons for taking a break.

We will miss you but you will never be far from thought, enjoy your new lives.

T

• 3 weeks later...

Just popped in quick to say that today (16 December), 1 year ago, I resigned from my work in JHB (Yes, an SA public holiday, but I worked UK schedule). What an absolutely bizarre year it has been. It boggles my mind how much our lives have changed in just 12 months.

This will be my 3rd Christmas outside of SA and Michelle and Amy's first.

Have a blessed time everyone, enjoy your families, both near and far.

-G

Edited by Garrick

Merry Chrisymas to you and your family, and may the New Year be full of fun and more adventure.

Tania

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the challenges of trying to get both sets of parents on Skype at the right time to see Amy rampage through her presents, the day went well. We also managed to find a church that actually had a Christmas day service; not only that, but it has about 5 SA families and a ton of kids around Amy's age, so we may have found a new "home" at Mentone Baptist.

The period between Christmas and New Year's what up-and-down. On New Year's Eve we received the news that we had been informed may come. M's mother was diagnosed with a rare form (and aggressive as she had tests last January) of breast cancer. She starts her chemo this week. It is very hard on the family, so the next few weeks/months are going to be a bit rough.

On Sunday, we went out to the Healesville Crafts Market which was nicely nestled in amongst huge trees next to a race track. We had freshly baked scones with cream and jam - they had a mobile kiln there and were making them constantly. We also found Billies (Beef?) Biltong...and when I saw the sign, I said, there's a Blue Bulls supporter if ever I see one - the emblem had the big horns of the BB...however, as we stopped there to see, this very Australian lass (accent) offers some biltong stokkies to try. And hey, they're pretty good. Just like home. Then the husband comes forward... and Ferdie... :ilikeit: Ferdie is a PTA boy and definitely a BB supporter. We chatted and man, the world is a bit small. They stay in Burwood (not too far from us) and Ferdie's father went to Diamantveld in Kimberley... the same place my father went to school - though my father was at the english competitor school across the road. And both Ferdie and I had spent time in Kimberley in our youth. Ferdie and his Aussie wife are planning to get into the boerewors market, but it appears that they have to adhere to the Oz rules about the way the meat is prepared. So looking forward to how their's compares to the SA shops boerie.

We then headed to Healsville Sanctuary, where it became clear quite quickly that it was holiday time as the place was swamped by people from all over the world. What was very disappointing was the way one group of foreignors (leaving out exact nationality here) from South America "swarmed" over exhibits. I mean, their kids were standing on the signs for the display...they climbed up on the walls and over bushes to see stuff. We stopped to look through a small window (like the size of my hand), and I asked M to park the pram behind me and Amy to stop us being swamped... I turned around to find about 5 kids all around my legs, pushing me out the way. Disgusting behaviour. But you know what, having travelled the world a bit, I know that the tourists you experience are more-often-than-not NOT a good representation of the country's locals.

Anyway, Amy loved it and it was a nice day out "in the country". Bizarelly, it's like only 70 or so KM away from us...but it took around 1h20m to get there... things we have to take into account here in Oz.

That's all for now.

-G

Hi Garrick, really sorry to hear about M's mom... dammit that is not good... Good on you for getting out to Healsville, really a pretty place with lots to see and do...

Glad to see you back :ilikeit:

Hi Garrick & Michelle,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, having been through a simalr situation in our family we know it is not easy.

Thanks for the update on your travels. May you have a good New Year.

T

• 5 weeks later...

Hey hey. I'm back.

Ok. Things are in a whirlwind again.

I'm just 3 days from having been planted here for 1 year (technically, our citizenship 4-years started earlier). That also brought us closer to the end of our 1-year lease. Now, I've worked hard on the back-yard lawn at this property... buying a lawn mower (they have a monthly law mowing service, but that's just too infrequent) and various weed killing agents...not to mention sweat and labour of digging out weeds in the lawn. We've looked after the place really well too. However, that hasn't stopped the owner increasing the levy... and they're doing a 6-month lease... which clearly indicates that they plan to increase it again in 6 months time.

So we started to consider our options. When could we buy... and then... could we buy in Bentleigh area... and sadly, due to us being middle-class South Africans... we're "behind" on the property ladder right from the start. Many Australians my age, already have their first investment properties... whereas we still have to save for a good while before we can buy one to live in. A bit depressing.

Anyway... with it clear that we could not buy in this area, we decided that since we have been here a year, we have a better feel of the city and what we need on a daily basis, and thus, we need to rent in a suburb where we can ultimately buy a home. Not only that, we must rent somewhere cheaper, so that w can save more/faster. We then started the process of eliminating suburbs based on distance-from-work/CBD. We like our family time. I grew up with a father that worked early till late, and then still studied part time. So family interaction during the week was low (weekends were awesome, and I have/had a great relationship with my father). I didn't want that here though, so travel time is important, as I want to spend time everyday with Amy. So places like Berwick dropped off the option list.

And then we considered a place we'd been to, quite honestly, only briefly. We had spent one morning there, running around to see 6/7 properties, with someone else driving us. Knowing nothing much about the suburb, and having family want us in the east...there were many factors that really stacked against a fair view of... Point Cook.

Yes... that's right... we're heading out West for another look. :ilikeit: This time it's on OUR time, at OUR pace and we know what to look for. We know Melbourne houses... we know about the local technology and services. We know what child stuff to look for (swimming lessons, playgroup, daycare, kinder, toy library, etc.). Not only that, but we can rent a house for around $100 less PER WEEK... Soo... Point Cook people... we might see you all again soon. :ilikeit:

This is all just expeditionary, so we haven't set anything in stone. With my parents coming out in April/May, there's lots to consider. For those ladies in Point Cook, please give M a shout (pm her) and please help her find what she's looking for.

Right...as for Amy, well, she's just one amazing child. In the naughty 2's of course, and there are days when she can be a right little rascal and deliberately be naughty, and then there are days where she'll be an angel. She has a really sharp mind. She'll see me do something with one of my tools, and the next day, she'll be doing it with one of her toy tools - though obviously with little success. :ilikeit:

Recently, on a Sunday, we went to the beach in the morning for just over an hour, then home for lunch, then off to a "Party in the Park" with some "stand in" Dorothy/Waggles/Cpt Feathersword people and various activities. What an amazingly free and relaxing day.

I see I have like 18 pages of unread posts... eish.

-G

Welcome back! I gotta say we identify 100% regarding the property situation and its nice to hear that other people are in the same boat. Not that it makes it any easier, but you know misery loves company :thumbdown:

Hey hey..Michelle is welcome to ask me any questions...we have moved to sanctuary lakes since we last saw you guys, My little one is still in the same daycare (in Kindy this year as well!) but 2 new daycares have opened since we last saw you...I have also enrolled her in swimming lessons here in Sanctuary lakes (there are tennis lessons as well)...we have been in point cook 1 1/2 years now and are still happy....please let me know when u around and we can hookup for a visit ;)

Just a short post.

We went through Point Cook today, and my how it has grown since we were last there like 11 months ago. It looks so different now after the drought is gone - ok, today it was kinda flooded. :P

This time around we took our time and drove around the suburb. We looked at 4 houses...mainly because if we move anywhere (PC or elsewhere) it'd only be in April. We wanted to see the size of houses, etc. we could get for our target budget. I must definitely say that it's crazy how many rentals there are in PC.

The trees are starting to grow in many sections, and that's great. Though we did get the feeling that it maybe needs another shopping centre with a KMart/Safeway in it...maybe in the Innisfail area, or on PC road south of Sanctuary Lakes - yes, I know there's a KMart at Weribee Plaza and a Safeway in Hopper's Crossing.

-G

Just an update..they are building a new mall in Sneyeds road (the main road running past featherbrook estate) I havnt looked at what shops are going to be in there but that makes it the 3rd mall to pop up in the last year ;0

I presume a safeway might be on the cards as there is an IGA near Stella Maris school and 2 coles' (sanctuary lakes and town centre), will be nice as I go to hoppers crossing safeway when their specials are good.

Oh..for ballet, mum's groups etc...check out http://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/ for the communitiy centres in point cook (there are 2 that I know of)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another Saturday of rental viewing.

We saw some really nice houses - well designed and very nicely finished, and others that, well... the owner's suffered an unfortunate episode of BAD TENANT. The one reeked of something aweful...looked like it had mold in the roof as well.

In the end, we've applied for 2...though we are only wanting to move in on 01/04. So we're betting on the fact that Point Cook is now a renters market, as well as the two properties being listed for 1 month and 2 months respectively. Check this site out, it's pretty accurate:

http://www.suburbview.com/view/VIC/Point+Cook/3030/rent

It was very refreshing to speak to 2 or 3 agents that were honest enough to acknowledge that Point Cook is a renters market right now as there is so much on offer - an oversupply of people that bought using the FHBG and after their 6 months are now looking to rent then out. It was amusing to note that all but one of the agents were young black haired females in black jackets, short skirts, and black high heels - almost like a uniform. The remaining one was blonde. No males. Not being sexist, just saying that there was a trend.

There was one agency (no names) that have twice told us that we should only look/apply in mid March... I think they're wrong, as with there being more houses than (decent) renters, that old way of doing things doesn't apply there anymore. And we weren't the only couple/family that were looking to start in April.

Anyway... apps off...now we wait and pack.

-G

Well, both the agencies that we applied at basically said they wouldn't wait till April, that we should rather apply in March. We'll wait and see if they're still available in March or what's new.

In more important news, Amy contracted what the doctor diagnosed as Tonsilitis on Tuesday. Her temp started spiking to 40+ and so she was put on antibiotics and we could give her Panadol every so many hours to bring it down, which worked. Though this put a lot of strain on M for the last few nights - I was relegated to Amy's bed to allow the two of them to sleep in our bed.

This morning we though it might have broken as she was soundly sleeping till almost 9am. M had been told to bring her in for a checkup and so went in at 10H30. During the wait...the fever returned... the doc has now diagnosed possible pneumonia. M has just gotten the x-rays and is off to one of the children's hospitals to have Amy checked.

It's a very stressful time for us...so hard seeing your child suffer. I don't know which is worse - that I am at work and can do nothing but pray, or that M be with her and see her suffering.

-G

So sorry to hear that your LO is unwell...

About the rentals..yip..they make you wait till the last minute here...they did it to us as well, they expect you to be packing without know where you moving to yet..a real pain I know...apply mid-march for a few properties and just get a quote for "point cook" from your movers..then you can tell them the street addy on the day.

Hope you enjoy being able to pick and choose..i found lots of properties once you hit the $400 a week mark that were nice (more to choose from)