Garrick's Mini-Migration Blog

Garrick

Congratulations Garrick

You both must be very happy to be expecting a new little Australian :ilikeit:

Hi all,

For those that don't yet know. We're having a baby! We've just passed the 12 week mark and things are looking good. Scans show all is well. We don't know what gender yet, but we will find out before birth.

This child will be the first of our 'lineage' to be fully raised (God willing) in Australia. Amy is excited to finally have a baby brother/sister.

This weekend is 2 years since I set permanent foot on Australian soil. I have never left it (well, except for a brief ship cruise). Not even in my 2 years in the UK did I stay away from SA for such a long period. And at this rate, 2 years will become many more.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, wherever in the world you may be.

-G

CONGRATS!!!!!!

:ilikeit::lol::ilikeit:

Awesome, awesome news - congratulations

• 1 year later...

How appropriate that I actually post 2 years after my last post... Bizarre.

So let's see.

Tomorrow will be 4 years in Australia for me and I have still not left its shores for any other country in that time. I'm still working at the same company and have been promoted since joining.

Amy has started school just this last week and Imogen (the baby I mentioned 2 years ago) is a real handful approaching 18 months. 4 years younger than her sister, but already fighting with her when not playing beautifully together.

We've built our own house and have been in here for 7 months or so. You can see it here: http://eynesbury11010.blogspot.com.au/ if I've never linked it before.

We're waiting for some documents from South Africa, before we actually do our citizenship tests (hurry up already) and get our passports.

We've had our ups and downs. Michelle's sister in Sydney has has 2 little girls in the time we've been in Australia, and life back in SA for her parents has been a major roller coaster in the last 2 years.

After 4 years, my advice is pretty much the same, just refined.

Australia is amazing. It is NOT easy for South Africans. Why? Many of you may be Afrikaans, and the culture here is not the same - particularly in the eastern cities. Making (Australian) friends can be hard for Afrikaans people. For me, it's not too hard, but there are always communication issues after you've grown up in another country for 30+ years. The other two reasons are simple. Firstly, ladies, you WILL miss your mom. Period. There is no popping over for a chat, a hug, a tea/coffee. Guys, you'll miss your father. Accept it. There is no quick phone call to ask how to do something. Your father will not know how to repair plasterboard... (note: Most Australian houses are made with wood and recycled material... but cost 5 times as much as a double brick house in South Africa :P ) You cannot just ring him up in the middle of the day (well...not before he stops answering your calls) to ask about some financial decision that needs an answer now and has implications. You may have no family to fall back on to help if you run into major trouble.

Both husbands and wives must make friends here to make it work. Eventually the two of you will drive each other mad if you don't have other people to speak to. :P If you don't have family here, get involved in school, or something.

The final reason it can be tough is simple. Australia is a first world country with laws about minimum wage. That's currently around the $20/hr mark. So if you want someone to clean your house, or do your garden, you are going to pay... a lot. So you either come over and both earn a packet and pay someone to clean your house once a week, or you suck it up and learn that you and the whole family have to have chores and clean your own house. There is no cheap black labor force for you to exploit like in South Africa, and let's face it the middle class in South Africa, be they black or white middle class, live on the shoulders of the lower income masses. (of course, in turn, the rich live on the shoulders of the middle class...that's capitalism for you at it's best...) So don't come to Australia expecting to have a house that is as clean as your house in SA was unless you have the money to throw at the problem. (note: If you build your own house, when you landscape... don't get a blerry lawn that grows so fast that if you don't mow it YOURSELF every 2 weeks it will grow so blerry fast that it will be too much for a 240 liter green bin :jester: )

Lastly, for those thinking about it. Make sure you discuss this thoroughly. Emigration will put your marriage through incredible amounts of stress and if you aren't both 100% in agreement when you come over, then best you sort it out before you do. (note: Guys, make sure it is your wife that makes the final call :whome: )

Happy to have popped in again. I must maybe take a browse around and see how I can help now that I'm slowly becoming an old hand.

-G

• Like 6

Oooh Ooh... before I forget. BRING ALL YOUR FURNITURE WITH YOU! Especially if it's wood. Our container cost us under R100,000 to get here if I recall...actually... I can't remember the exact amount. :P But to buy 2 lounge suites and 1 child's bedroom suite has cost us $7,500!!! And that's cheap!

So if you've got a lot of decent furniture (not large appliances...really... just leave those behind... no warranty...plugs that you have to change, etc.) bring it over.

-G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. After chatting with Bri and her husband, I thought I'd do a mini FAQ on things I think may help new arrivals. I'm sure there are similar things here somewhere on the forum, but I'll add it here anyway.

As has been pointed out, Bunnings is like Builder's Warehouse. Their new main competition is Masters - part of the Woolworths group. It's good to shop at both to compare. There is also Mitre 10, and they'll have things that the others might not, but mostly we head to Bunnings first, and if we can't find it, we head to Masters. Do take note that when you find something so insanely cheap there, you pay for what you get... it pays to get quality garden tools that cost more...the cheap ones break too easily...

I posted in another thread, Whirlpool.net.au is a tremendous source of info... on just about anything in Oz... really... you can spend all day reading stuff there. If you're looking for a specific TV or household appliance...go into TheGoodGuys or JBHifi or Dick Smith, etc. to take a look, and see what kind of deal they'll give you, then go to Whirlpool and see people's reviews and/or if anyone has gotten it cheaper - people often post their receipts for you to use

Ozbargain.com.au is another great site for those that have been here a while. I tend to buy a lot of tech by waiting for people to post specials or things they found - the lawnmower I just bought was due to someone in Queensland spotting the special in their local Builder's Warehouse - not advertised in any media - the guy just scanned in his receipt and posted it to show everyone. :)

When it comes to negotiating prices, JBHifi and TheGoodGuys can easily give you 10% off. You should aim for 15% or more off the ticket price... at least....and try get them to throw in extras like free delivery... you can negotiate a lot.

Fantastic Furniture is great for cheaper furniture, but don't buy the fake leather... it doesn't last. We've bought storage cupboards from them.

Ikea... lots of great ideas to get inspired...but their best stuff is really their storage units/goodies. I wouldn't go buying my kitchen, etc. from them. I'd rather get a pro to do that stuff.

EBay... people... Hong Kong... seriously... if it's not something you need a warranty for... EBAY!

Computers... if you have one near you, MSY is great for prices and variety. PCCasegear has a good selection and good service - bought my PC from them. ShoppingExpress has good specials - bought Michelle's laptop for a steal from them on their Boxing Day sale. There are a lot of options for computers and parts... again... check out Whirlpool for what you're after.

OfficeWorks... pretty decent prices and stock. They will match any competitors price and beat it by 5% if its the same item - even if the competitor is actually part of the same holding company...

Phone contracts/internet... don't rush into Telstra... consider buying your phone outright and not tying yourself into a contract - I bought my S4 and am on an Aldi $30/year deal... I hardly phone people and I then top up my 2GB of data every month (or 15 days if you use it quickly) for $15. So in essence, I have access to the Telstra 3G network, can use Google's Hangouts to chat to my wife, and pay $15 a month... There are similar great deals on the Optus 'sub contractors'. So shop around. Same goes for internet.

Foxtel... you don't need it...but if you want it... again, check out Whirlpool for what deals other people have gotten... don't just accept the standard deals...

Woolies and Coles. Honestly... in my opinion...if you care about Australian farmers, you'll not buy the $2 milk. Both companies subsidise the milk with sales of other food... it's not viable to the aussie farmer to sell at that price... so we pay the bit extra and support Aussie brands like Great Ocean Road mlik.

Leonard's meat. If you have one near you, awesome... great deals on meat and it's fresh and good quality. Always new things to try.

Baby Bunting is great for all things baby (and car seats) - Toys R Us is expensive and doesn't have anywhere near the same selection or prices.

Ok... stopping there for tonight... if you have anything you'd like my opinion on for me to post here... please feel free to message me. :)

-G

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Garrick! I'll print this one and keep in my Ozzie folder.

I love whirlpool too...............except when people get aggro......lol............Have you tried reddit?

I do have Foxtel and phoned them up yesterday and managed to score a better deal for $20 less per month.

Now I have a question, and hopefully someone can help...................life insurance, how do you get the best deal and from whom and are you penalised if moving from one company to another?

We pay $160 a fortnight for $650 000 cover, it would have been a million but hubbys job, underground electrician ups the risk factor.

Any tips advice, or good/bad experience would be much appreciated.

Andrea, what did you say to Foxtel to get a cheaper rate? Might give them a call too.

I find the old "going to cancel" trick often works...

• Like 1

Andrea, what did you say to Foxtel to get a cheaper rate? Might give them a call too.

I find the old "going to cancel" trick often works...

I phoned up to get a new remote and then asked for info about upgrading to IQ...............got talking to the lady, mentioned that I seem to be paying more than the latest special offer, did the old "loyal customer of 5 years" bit and got $20 off.................I also wanted to enquire about the multiroom offer and have a technician coming out to do this for half price...................but have to wait a while because we are in the sticks......................and the best part was that I got to speak to someone here in Australia who was really helpful.

You can get really good insurance rates for life/tpd, etc. through your industry super fund.

-G

I can totally agree. I am neat but my house is not as clean as in SA and we are busy talo g all the beds out our small garden and will be just grass as we both hate gardening and there is no money to pay someone else to keep it neat and tidy. We can live with mowing the lawn

I love whirlpool too...............except when people get aggro......lol............Have you tried reddit?

I do have Foxtel and phoned them up yesterday and managed to score a better deal for $20 less per month.

Now I have a question, and hopefully someone can help...................life insurance, how do you get the best deal and from whom and are you penalised if moving from one company to another?

We pay $160 a fortnight for $650 000 cover, it would have been a million but hubbys job, underground electrician ups the risk factor.

Any tips advice, or good/bad experience would be much appreciated.

Hey Andrea we are with Onepath and TAL. Yours does sound expensive. I'm thinking mine is about $580 a year for $1mill? My husband is older, think his is about $980 for a mill. We pay annually and we linked with Qantas FF points so we get them too.

I'm pretty sure we used iSelect to compare.

I'm going off memory here but I don't think I'm way off. Are you sure you are paying $160 a fortnight?? Sounds very high. Maybe due to the job, as you say.

I'm not aware of any penalties & we didn't do medicals.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Received a letter from my Super fund (Australian Super) so I can let you know exactly what I will be paying from the end of March (30%+ increase... :o:o )

At present, I am paying the following PER WEEK:

Life Cover: 2mil @ $15.00

TPD: 2mil @ $15.60

IP: XXX @ $2.52

Total: $33.12 per week.

This will change to:

Life Cover: 2mil @ $20.40

TPD: 2mil @ $21.00

IP: XXX @ $4.41

Total: $45.81 per week.

So that means I will be paying $91.62 per fortnight. Or $2,382.12 per year... or $198.51 per month... not really that amazing anymore... was really good before this wopper increase...so now I must go look at quotes... especially since I actually work for an insurer now. :P

-G

Received a letter from my Super fund (Australian Super) so I can let you know exactly what I will be paying from the end of March (30%+ increase... :o:o )

At present, I am paying the following PER WEEK:

Life Cover: 2mil @ $15.00

TPD: 2mil @ $15.60

IP: XXX @ $2.52

Total: $33.12 per week.

This will change to:

Life Cover: 2mil @ $20.40

TPD: 2mil @ $21.00

IP: XXX @ $4.41

Total: $45.81 per week.

So that means I will be paying $91.62 per fortnight. Or $2,382.12 per year... or $198.51 per month... not really that amazing anymore... was really good before this wopper increase...so now I must go look at quotes... especially since I actually work for an insurer now. :P

-G

Wow Garrick, a 30% increase is steep! You've got me thinking. It may be time to up our cover a bit.

Try iSelect for comparisons.

It is always a bit of a pain changing things around. We recently changed our cars to RACQ and our house to St George insurance and got better deals than we had with QBE.

• 2 months later...

Hey all. Quick post/update. Today Michelle and I wrote our citizenship tests and both got 95%. So now a wait of 6-9 months for a ceremony invite.

-G

• Like 1

Is that all!!?!

:) Congrats in advance. Good onya.

I also got one wrong and although it was a year ago I'm still wondering which one was wrong...;)

Hey all. Quick post/update. Today Michelle and I wrote our citizenship tests and both got 95%. So now a wait of 6-9 months for a ceremony invite.

-G

If you REALLY cared, you would have had 100% (Like me (and the wife), but not the son who'd done it in school) :)

Actually, congrats. Good feeling.

• Like 1