Garrick's Mini-Migration Blog

Garrick

This is going to be my mini blog of our migration to Melbourne.

I thought I'd start it today, with it being my last work day in South Africa. How strange that is. I worked at this company for the last 5 years of my life... in that time, I started dating my wife, got married and have had our first child. During that time we also made a decision to get a 175 visa and look at moving over...little did we know that it would happen so quickly.

Today was both nice and sad. Sad to say goodbye to people I've enjoyed sharing so the last few years with, but nice to see how much they will miss me by the gifts and farewells. I even had our area manager ask me if I wouldn't mind being available to help out a little bit once I'm in Oz - they'll pay me of course - as I'm taking a lot of knowledge with me.

So, the day has passed... and things are starting to roll on quickly. Tomorrow and Sunday we disconnect, de-struct and prepare everything for the movers on Monday and Tuesday... then two brief days of respite during which I had to try store up enough...togetherness... with my wife and child before leaving them to fly to Melbourne alone.

Right now, I'm car-less, homeless, and jobless. And how great that actually feels. Right now, right here, I am starting again. Excuse the metaphorical speech, but I think I know what a butterfly feels like. Free. Free to take a step into the unknown and change mine and my families lives forever.

Everything is ready, and it has now begun.

-G

• Like 2

OMG... our house... it's a disaster. :whome:

Our bed is somewhere under piles of suitcases and random clothes. Today I disassembled Amy's playhouse with her still trying to play in it. ;) And then she waved goodbye to it. Then there was lugging around 70KG of sea sand down 3 flights of stairs and off to our church's play area... then...then... such a blur... so much cleaning... pathcing holes in walls from screws...and a swimming lesson for Amy in there too...

Phew... and more to come tomorrow. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN PACKING ANYTHING!!

My next post will probably be via cellphone dialup as we move into my in-laws spare room.

So tired right now... but each day brings us one step closer... I'll remember to take pics of our packed up house too.

-G

Edited by Garrick

Garrick

You are a bit ahead of us, we are moving in May and are already an emotional wreck. We have sold our house this weekend, my car is being sold and it seems that all our wordly possessions. The closer i get the more nervous i become. how are you coping with the stress?

Good luck with everything and a new beginning - wow what a wonderfull oppurtunity.

Good luck with your move, love reading these blogs, will be making the move over soon as well and this is the part that I am both looking forward to and dreading at the same time! :lol:

Phew... not been online because I've been knackered. Also didn't help with the Telkom internet issues.

I'm typing this from the study of my in-laws house. Our house... she is empty, and she's not even ours anymore... got the money on Monday. I took some pics after the first day of packing and then yesterday when it was empty - I'll post these later today or tomorrow hopefully. We are now waiting for them to give us the volume so that we can see about adding more stuff at their warehouse.

I've had flu since Friday, so not feeling great, but still so looking forward to my flight in TWO DAYS!!

Got a lot to sort out now... a few banking items to sort out and stupid SABC to fax. Need to make sure that Michelle is sorted for finances while I'm gone.

We used Magna Thomson, and I sat watching them pack our house. It's amazing how they can fit stuff into anything - turning the space between chair legs into a "box". A senior guy came over on Day 2 to check on their progress and check if I was happy, etc. Chatted about people trying to "smuggle" restricted items into Oz and how they get caught... we're fine, no food and no alcohol.

Well, that's all for today... got stuff to do today, so I'll try post again before I fly...and then of course, as soon as I get to Oz.

As for the stresss... I learnt from my mother to actually strive off stress. We're doing our best to joke about me leaving on Friday... but in reality, since we got married, we've not spent more than 2 days apart... Skype will at least allow us to see each other...but that's not the same as being able to give my wife a hug. :lol:

-G

TBH, i'm not thinking about him going...but am so jealous that he'll be in Melbourne in a few days!

The stress is HUGE Weidemans...I was sick to my stomach for a good few days and I think we are both sick because of it. You just cope because you have to, and you know that at the other end great things await you (and even more stress :magic:)

I was very emotional at them packing our house...we had our baby girl whilst in that home and it's all she's ever known..it was our first house we bought as a married couple etc, etc. Hectic, but such is life...we are starting a new and very exciting chapter!

Ok... managed to get some pics loaded.

post-13320-1265224377.jpg

Amy standing on a box of stuff from her room, waving goodbye to her room.

post-13320-1265224396.jpg

Amy trying to give the movers a helping hand - the box probably weighs more than she does.

post-13320-1265224436.jpg

End of Day 1... The dining room, lower patio and most of the kitchen packed and some other stuff.

post-13320-1265224413.jpg

All gone... our empty home.

-G

Very nice blog and very nice photos!

Good luck with everything.

Right... it's almost 08H00 SA Time... and in 9.5 hours my flight is scheduled for departure. I had a nice dinner with Michelle at our favourite restaurant last night and we went to say one last goodbye to the home that has been such a great part of our lives.

Now, it's time to gather in the washing, pack the suitcase, go hand over the keys to our old home to the new owner and try spend some time with my wife and toddler before I go.

Phew... the two months from when we decided to go till now have just flown. Hope the next 6 weeks do too.

Next update... sometime after arriving in Melbourne. :ph34r:

-G

Ooh! This is me saying goodbye to SA. Currently sitting alone :ilikeit: in ORT waiting to board my flight in less than 20 minutes. Weeee!

And at this point in time you are flapping your arms furiously, trying to stay in the air! LOL

Hope the flight was good!

Well today is the 6th February 2010. No more sleepies. You will be in Aus. Holding thumbs for a soft landing. :ilikeit:

What a a feeling, PRICELESS! (I can only imagine)

Well... I'm here now... 00H00. And um... shortly after that SMS I went through security and then ended up sitting in the plane for 1.5 hours waiting for the weather to clear and our chance to leave... got bumped to the next flight in Sydney... only to be delayed there too for 15 minutes only...due to weather! Nooit bru.

Got some nice pics from the balconies here tonight... will post them tomorrow.

Saw Michelle and Amy on Skype earlier... miss my two girls already... but it reminds me that failure is not an option.

Must force myself to sleep now. :ilikeit:

-G

Glad to hear you have arrived safely, look forward to hearing from you!

Here are the pics:

Balcony facing the city

post-13320-1265496451.jpg

Harbour view pic 1

post-13320-1265496473.jpg

Harbour view pic 2

post-13320-1265496509.jpg

• Like 2

Man these photos are stunning. Did you use a Canon EOS 500D to take them?

Man these photos are stunning. Did you use a Canon EOS 500D to take them?

Yip. 2.5"shutter speed. Had to leave my tripod behind because of weight worries (sitting in the shipping...) :ilikeit: Otherwise I'd try longer.

Going to try get the sunset this afternoon...

-G

Ok... So Monady morning... and I woke up at 06H45... went back to sleep...woke up at 07H25... went back to sleep at woke up at 09H50! Bah!

Had one missed call and message... went for a shower and came back to see a second missed call and message.

Two agencies.

Phoned them, and messaged others, and have a possible work interiew towards the end of the week, and seeing two agents tomorrow. I must say, the "start time" of daily life in Oz is going to take some getting used to... as is the "end time" of the day.

Having lunch at 15H30 in the afternoon is just bizarre. :P

-G

Ok... I'm dying.

I wonder if people will look at me strange if I walk around with an umbrella? This heat is insane! I just walked from Docklands to CBA at +- 360 Collins, then to an interview in Bourke (further down) and back again... I think I've managed to lose weight... who needs gym...just walk from one side of Melbourne CBD to the other and back again in 30+ degree heat (in longs, longsleeve shirt and tie)... my word... mellltttiinnnggggg. Doesn't help that I'm not quite over the flu I got last weekend...

Back now and enjoying some aircon before I have to head out to Flinders and to the east a bit... phew... We should have planned for a winter move. :P

-G

Edited by Garrick

LOL . . . :lol: use the Trams . . . they have aircon, even the free City Circle Tram , but if you WANT to use a umbrella... put some sunscreen on to complete the look :P