Garrick's Mini-Migration Blog

Garrick

Ok, been a few days since I last posted. Currently, I have about 6 or 7 agents all "representing" me to a pile of companies...so hopefully this week I'll get soe interviews in. Tomorrow I'm going to do my learner driver's license and then the hazard test a day or two later when I pass. Then to work out how to do my driver's.

How about that weather this week? 30+ degrees up til Wednesday or so, and then bam! flash flooding. Still got this annoying niggly cough that isn't going away. I feel 100%, but I'm taking various cough and flu stuff to try get rid of it... but it just keeps coming back after a bit.

Today of course, is Valentine's day... my first one apart from my beautiful and loving wife since we started dating. I'm going to lunch with M's cousins, but the day just isn't the same without her. It's strange, you can be amongst friend's and family, but when your soulmate is not there, part of you is missing. :)

Ironically, today, apparently, marks the "death" of the Hyundai Tuscon, with, according to some articles, the launch of the IX35 happening today. Just an arb fact... :)

For those in Melbourne, don't forget that today is also the St Kilda festival. Went past there yesterday and saw them setting up; hope the weather is kind to them. What impressed me so much, was the number of signs clearly telling people that the festival is a dry zone. Some coffee shops, etc. have signs up saying that they will not be selling liquor today at all. They actually have a local council bylaw that will give the police the right to arrest and/or fine people. Damn, that's impressive. Now if they can just ban smoking as well. :P I must say that walking the streets of Melbourne, I often have to change paths because I end up behind or next to someone walking and smoking.

I must say that the "Sysie" couple have made me feel right at home here, so that has helped with me getting into the routine of things.

-G

Hi Garrick

I loved the photos and all the info you give in your posts. please keep them coming. I know you will find a job soon seeing as you are so positive.

Just keep on doing what you do and things will fall into place.

And please keep the posts coming - we will be joining you in May and have never been to see Melbourne so every bit helps.

Good luck

Here's a picture of the fans leaving the ACDC concert tonight...50,000 to 60,000 people in the stadium.

post-13320-1266239832.jpg

-G

Gosh, I heard they were big in OZ, but that's BIG!

Jeepers creepers thats a huge amount of ppl - saw in the papers it was great.

Oh what my other half would of done to have been there . . . next time!

So... today I saw an interesting advert on TV. It seems that ESP, and possibly side curtain airbags, are to be made compulsory in ALL new vehicles from 2011. Wow. Just wow.

So...off I went to check the IX35 specs, and yip, even the base model has both. But get this, and for me as a parent, this is a major plus. The Hyundai IX35 comes standard with ISOFIX!!! What's ISOFIX I hear you say. Well, ISOFIX is a European standard that has small brackets extending from the chasis of the vehicle, in pairs, that can be felt/seen between the gap where the seat back and seat meet. If you drive a european vehicle, you'll likely notice a small tag on the seat saying ISOFIX. This is used to very securly fit the base of a child car seat to the chasis of the car. That, together with the standard seat belt and top tether, makes for extreme safety for your child.

We have one of these carseats which Michelle is bringing with her when she flies, and I was worried that we'd never find an asian car that had ISOFIX... seems Hyundai has gone with adding these (the cost is so minor, but such a good addition) to all IX35's.

The more I look at this car, the more it seems like it will be the car for us... now to actually see one up close and test drive it.

On that... passed my learner's test on Monday with 94%... tomorrow I do my Hazard Perception... then practise driving in Michelle's cousin's 307 convertible before booking for my test.

Oh... and then there are some more interviews too... got one at a prospective employer tomorrow, so hoping it goes well.

-G

It sounds as though things are going really well for you. Hope that you find a job soon. I am so envious looking at that crowd coming out of the ACDC concert - what Ty and I would have given to be there!!!!! Good luck for your drivers too!

I love your posts Garrick, keep them comming :ilikeit: , it's posts like these that keep us SA stuck people going and hoping to be in OZ much sooner

Thanks man

Ok... so Hazard Perception passed... 80%... but that's ok, since it has a 54% required pass mark. Effectively a 23 / 28.

Had a meet with two agents this morning, very friendly and helpful. They suggested contracting first, so we'll see what comes of that.

Now a few hours break before back into the city for a real interview in a suit. meh.

-G

Enjoying the posts, keeping it real!

Congrats on passing the learners test and Hazard thingy.

Wishing you all the luck for the job hunting, knock :boxing: em dead :) !!!

Ok... some more pics of the varying skylines that happen here.

Overcast day (Saturday 13th)

post-13320-1266441000.jpg

Sunny day (Valentine's day - 14th)

post-13320-1266441043.jpg

Sunset (Wednesday 17th) I didn't plan on the Oz flag being in the middle like that. :)

post-13320-1266440982.jpg

-G

Edited by Garrick

Ok... here's a mark against Oz.

The next available driving test date, at both the main centre in town (Carlton), and one out at Oakleigh, is MID APRIL! That's as bad as South Africa.

That's incredibly annoying. That's 2 months away... hell, I should be well underway with work by then and would have to take time off. That sucks! Bloody stupid system.

Grrr

-G

Perhaps try one of the offices on the West....according to everyone....nothing happens this side, so you may well be able to get an earlier date. Friends did theirs through the Broadmeadows office, because they got a quick date.

Perhaps try one of the offices on the West....according to everyone....nothing happens this side, so you may well be able to get an earlier date. Friends did theirs through the Broadmeadows office, because they got a quick date.

Thanks Mara, will phone and simply ask where I can get a date soooon. :)

-G

Thanks for the updates and especially the photo's, they are stunning <_<

2 months for a drivers is not to bad, i know of youngsters here in SA waiting for up to 8 months for a test and even then there is a HUGE chance of it being cancelled.

How did your interview go by the way?

Regards

S

Interview went ok. Waiting for feedback still. In the mean time, I keep applying for positions and speaking to lots of agents. The agent process here feels slower than in SA... almost of a feeling of less urgency, but maybe that'sjust because back in SA I was working while looking, so time didn't pass so slow.

I think I might just make the booking for April, as I'd need to borrow our relations' car down in the SE, and it's easier to go for a test closer to them.

-G

I'm limited on how many pictures I can upload (2MB total)... what you're seeing are images reduced by 25%... the originals are amazing. :ilikeit:

The people are friendly for sure. It's not like SA / JHB where everyone is on their own mission. You can actually have a brief chat with complete strangers in the lift. :holy:

Just got phoned for another interview on Monday afternoon... and though it does seem like I have made a lot of contact and am organising interviews, it's still only 2 weeks in and I must be patient for things to happen. I just want my girls over here. :ilikeit:

-G

Is it just me or does the sun appear bigger? :holy:

In your photo of the sunset - it's huge. Don't think ours is ever like that . . .

Is it just me or does the sun appear bigger? :holy:

In your photo of the sunset - it's huge. Don't think ours is ever like that . . .

Nah, it's what the movie guys use to cheat to make the moon look bigger too. It's caused by telephoto lenses.

On the interview front, I had a 40 minute technical-type phone interview this morning - as a precursor to the meeting on Monday - they need someone to start in March I guess, so that's a bit of hope.

The other interview from Wednesday has progressed to a second round interview early next week - details to be confirmed...so that's also a possibility...

Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps?

-G

Yes, stunning posts and photo's...........some more.....please!!!!!!! :holy:

Erica

"G"

Holding thumbs for the interviews! When is you fandamily joining you?

Yes, stunning posts and photo's...........some more.....please!!!!!!! :holy:

Ok ok ok! What do you all want pictures of?

-G

Ok ok ok! What do you all want pictures of?

-G

EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! We nominate you Garrick.......SA Photographer in your State!!!!! :holy:

Damn, where were you when I got married.....could have done with a superb photographer like you!

Erica