Garrick's Mini-Migration Blog

Garrick

Yeah... major bug...

Basically, from everything I've read, you cannot currently use recurring alarms accurately. If you want to, set the alarm to 1 hour ahead of the time you want to actually have it go off...and then, it'll only do that TOMORROW. Today it'll go off at the right time, but tomorrow it'll be -1 hour.

Friggin' bizarre.

So right now, I'm testing an independent (free) clock, and so far it's working fine for recurring (but that's today...) so we'll see tomorrow...

-G

Only working solution to the iOS alarm debacle is to set alarms 1-for-1 manually, or set recurring alarms to be one our later...

Anyway... back on topic.

If you read back a few pages, you'll read how I worked for a company that had issues paying the staff on time. Well, I left them in June, and it wasn't until in early September that I finally had enough and lodged an Enquiry with the ATO to get my Super paid. They hadn't paid a cent.

Well, they quickly sorted it out (within 5 days it seems...hmm 22/09/2010) after I informed them that the Enquiry was lodge. However, the money only appeared in my Super yesterday (I check it most days), after a contribution for 01/10/2010.

I have my money at least... and I've informed other ex-employees of my success, so I'm sure they'll do the same, and the ATO - as I've been told - will likely pick up the trend and take it further...

Now I'm just waiting for the ATO to get around to "investigating" my tax return.

-G

If you read back a few pages, you'll read how I worked for a company that had issues paying the staff on time. Well, I left them in June, and it wasn't until in early September that I finally had enough and lodged an Enquiry with the ATO to get my Super paid. They hadn't paid a cent. Well, they quickly sorted it out (within 5 days it seems...hmm 22/09/2010) after I informed them that the Enquiry was lodge. I have my money at least... and I've informed other ex-employees of my success, so I'm sure they'll do the same, and the ATO - as I've been told - will likely pick up the trend and take it further...

Good news G!

Tex

Yesterday we took Amy into hospital yesterday morning for her Grommets.

She thankfully, slept the whole night in her bed and was up just after us and didn't moan for food or water before we left.

We got there just before 07H00 and waited (filled in forms, etc.) till just before 09H00 for her to go in. Mommy (MichelleO) went in with her and once she was "under", M came out and we grabbed something to eat downstairs quick (can't eat in the waiting room as everyone there is fasting) - this amounted to some granola bars and water. :P

We came back up and she was soon out (took like 10 minutes). The doctor came and spoke to us and said that there was air in the one ear, and goo in the other. But all is good now. Shortly afterwards they called us into initial recovery where one of the nurses was trying to hold her, but she was screaming her head off - not quite conscious according to them. So M sat with her while I provided soothing touches and sounds. :P

Eventually she calmed down and we went to the comfortable recovery area. Amy didn't like the ice lolly she was given (never had one) and when they brought jelly, she was happy...but...then... being a contractor, I had to get to work, or not get paid. So I left with her crying for me.

I figured that was only going to last for a minute or two... 3 minutes later, M phoned me as I was walking to the station and I could here Amy "going off" in the background... I tried to talk to her, but boy, that just made it worse... I figured...it can't last... so I got on the train... 5 stops later, I was told I need to come back - she was screaming at everyone...didn't want to touch food and when given a teddy bear, threw it on the floor (2 year old tantrum...)... she also tried to kick anyone (apparently).

So I tried to contact work and tell them I would have to take the day off and I got off the train and made my way back. M said that as soon as she told Amy I was coming back, she settled and started to chow down on just about anything they brought her... I got back, and after asking reception to tell them I'm there, gave up waiting and phoned M to get them to let me in from the inside. As the door was opening I could just hear "pappa! pappa! pappa!" - your heart melts, doesn't it?

So I spent the day at home. Amy asked for the second she woke up from her midday sleep. M played with her a bit, and then I did... so I got to relax a bit at home too.

She slept till 05H45 this morning, which we're quite happy with. 2 nights in a row without her coming through at midnight is great. :D Let's hope the temperature goes away. We're just hoping she doesn't go crazy on the flight to SA with M, cause there's no turning a plane around to go back for daddy.

-G

Well, it's less than a week till Michelle and Amy head back to South Africa for a visit. Right now I am feeling a bit sad, and a bit apprehensive. My girls are not only leaving me for 3 weeks, but they're going to a place I no longer consider safe. Each night when I go to sleep alone, without having given Amy her bottle, I'll pray for their safety and safe return.

I wish money wasn't an issue for all of us, that we could just move all our families over.

:D

-G

Hi Garrick,

I feel for you having your family come back here and leaving you behind, please know that both Michelle & Amy will be in our prayers for a safe holiday and a safe return to you , as will you for your peace of mind whilst they are away.

Thanks so much for your updates, they really are fun and interesting to read whilst we sit here waiting.

Regards

T

How's Amy doing after her op?

She's great. No noticeable pain. Took us a few days to get her used to having cotton wool (with vaseline when washing hair) in her ears when having her bath - I had to put some in my ears for a bit to show her it's OK. :)

Thanks for asking.

-G

Ok... so today is my birthday... and this morning was a blur of getting M&A to the airport and onto their flight... Then it was a slow lonely drive back...in the rain... Ended up going to Southland and watching "The Town"...and then walking around a bit before heading back to the empty house.

It sucks. I miss my girls. Last time they go anywhere without me.

-G

Ah, doesn't sound like a nice birthday!

Anyway... happy birthday and hope M&A have a wonderful, safe trip to South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Garrick,

Just wondering how your "girls" are enjoying their holiday in SA...hope it is going well..

Have just spent the last hour reading your blog from front to back, what an awesome thing to read, i've laughed and cried on your journey!!

Hope your family had a good holiday back here in SA!

Fabulous reading, so glad things are going so well for you all.

Cant wait to read more!

I think I need to get Michelle to post on how she's found SA in her first week. For me, it's been lonely... I've done some lawn weeding, and trying to get the back lawn into shape - I used to hate gardening as a kid, but now I can see how a good lawn benefits your child. Also have plans to clear out the sheds properly with some work gloves, and a blower to blow the place clean. Just need 2 days in a row (Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday) without rain, so I can empty the garage onto dry grass.

On that... did you know, that Victoria/Melbourne, last had more rain in October 36 years ago?! The year I was born. See... I brought the rain with me. ;)

Having dinner alone at home sucks. Thankfully M has made me a number of meals (though I sometimes have to dig in the freezer to find them :lol: ). It's so nice sitting down to a nice stew. mmmm.

We Skype every day - M is using the laptop we got for her parents; I got annoyed with them having issues with their USB web cam and nobody in the family being tech savy on that side to fix it - general practise became uninstalling, reinstalling, changing ports, etc. Hoping they'll get into the new Cell C 4G system so that they can get a decent speed over their 40+ year old Telkom copper cable that cannot get over 512kb speed...

When we Skype, I can see how much Amy is enjoying it there. She may miss me (which is really nice to hear as a father), but she is enjoying her time with her grandparents and aunt. Makes me a bit sad. Guess we all feel that. Makes me wish we could have the money to pay for them to get parental visas and come live here...but with that cost, for 2 parents, hitting $90,000+ nowadays, it's just not possible for us. Though I have thought about buying a large house and having them live with us (large house, i.e. one where my in-laws are on the faaaar side of the house. :) ). There are pros and cons to having them here... eish... I'm sure we all go through this.

My own parents are somewhere off the coast of west Africa...enjoying their first trip Europe in 7 years. They're enjoying retirement it seems. Next year they might hit Australasia...we'll see. I'm also trying to convince my brother (an ATC) to get a visa for Oz through his wife (a nurse)...for just in case... but he's in PE, so life there is "better" than JHB I guess. He also has a French passport, so the EU (with all it's current problems...) is still an option if they need it.

Oh, on Saturday I drove CraigSA around Melbourne... 6-7 hours of driving... Saw new suburbs, old suburbs, farmland and some demo houses (Williamstown). Did see a stunning Burbank 400 m^2 double storey house... but to find land... oh Melbourne, wherefore art thou land?

In 6 weeks or so, my wife's uncle and aunt hit Melbourne after getting their parental visas last year. They're 60+ and 70+ and will be working for an SA firm here. Going to be interesting and challenging for them living here in a small house that their daughter and her husband bought. We'll try our best to make their transition from "Melbourne the place we went on holiday for a month" to "Melbourne the place we have to work and use public transport". I've already stepped up as tech support for getting much of their electrical setup working (Phone/Internet/TV).

Ok, that's enough for now. :)

I'll try get M to come on and give some input about her experience of visiting SA.

-G

HI G,

Thanks for continuing to post your experiences here, as I've said beofre we have been following your journey and it helps us keep motivated and realise things we need remember when moving.

I hope Michelle and Amy have a great "eventless" holiday in SA and i'm sure they will be more that happy to come home to OZ and be greatfull they do not have to keep their "SA RADAR" on 24/7.

Enjoy the gardening, and your girls will be home soon.

T

Just a brief update... Amy seems to have caught a major tummy bug (what goes in, either comes back out, or goes through "quickly"...) through her Aunt/Gran - Gran is a teacher at junior school, and lots of kids there have been off with it; Aunt is a receptionist at a physio, and patients there have had it.

Makes me really sad to have to sit on the other side of the phone and hear how ill she is and not be able to do anything.

-G

Shame...hope she feels better soon, luckily tummy bugs don't seem to last long...

Hang in there Garrick. We really seem to under estimate the impact distance has on us when trying to be there for someone. No technology in the world can replace hugging someone when they're feeling down. I got a call last night from my mother, as my father was involved in a car accident. Luckily he's ok, but it's really hard being so far away during challenging times.

Michelle will be back soon, in the meantime, if there's anything I can do or if you just want to go for a coffee or something, let me know.

HI Garrick,

We will keep Amy in our prayers my 3yr old also has the bug and hass been ill for 3 days.

Soon she will be home but for now I know it's not easy for you, Hang in there, we are praying for you too.

T

Okay, so here I am (Garrick's wife) posting about SA having been back here for 2 weeks.

I MISS AUSTRALIA!!!!!! :ilikeit:

Wow, how you look at this country with different eyes once you have been out of it. I cannot beleive we used to live like this...prisoners and completely oblivious to it as it is "normal" to watch everyone suspiciously if they come near you, keep your bag hidden and your rings turned in. Not walk in the street or wind down your windows. Hang onto your child when you go out and make sure the car seat is behind the driver so you can get them out quickly in a hi-jacking. I hate it!!!

I have NO IDEA what to do with my 2 year old...there are NO parks (no safe ones in the street)!! And the places she can play charge a fortune for her to play on shoddy equipment (by Ozzie standards) with one slide and no swings. A far cry from the million of parks near our house with loads of slides, swings and interesting things!

People here are all about status and looks and keeping up with the Jones'...I am SO over that! All the shiny new cars and sickening, unnecessary opulence...I am SO over it! Everyone wanting to be better than you...I am SO over it.

Life in Australia may be hard and I may miss my family terribly...but that is ALL I miss!!

This trip has been such an eye opener...I was soooo looking forward to coming 'home'. But have realised my home is in Melbourne and our life there, though SO different, is so much better.

I was looking forward to doing heaps of shopping...but stuff here costs almost the same as it does there! Food is still cheaper and Woolies still rocks, but not by leaps and bounds like I thought it would!!

The maid is a pain to have in the house, she is noisy and in my space...i'd rather clean myself!! :ilikeit:

The people are generally rude and selfish and there is NO sense of community... :ilikeit:

WOW!! :ilikeit:

We are all so fortunate to be in Australia.

Viva Oz, viva!!!!

Unfortunately Amy still has nasty nappies but we have sent off a sample and will hopefully here in a day or two as to what is wrong...don't want to deal with that on the plane this weekend by myself!! I am happy and healthier and my dad's 60th party (which is why we ccame out) was a huge succes yesterday!

It's great to see family, but my immedate family (me G and Amy) are the most important and I know we have made the right move!!

Great post MichelleO, its amazing how differently you see things!! Wonderful to hear how much you miss Auz, makes me wanna get there that much quicker!!!

Glad you are having a good time, but not long and you will be home with your man again.

Safe flight home!!!

Thanks for the post Michelle,

I'm glad you came back to be able to give us this point of view re leaving and returning and exactly what you think.

Will be keeping Amy in our prayers and trusting you will all be home soon in OZ, well and extremely happy.

T

Thank you, MichelleO ! Beautiful to read of the change you experienced. We are looking so much forward to the obviously far less pretentious life in Oz.

Happy going back home !!

Michelle failed to mention how much Amy and her miss me. ;)

Hehe, I fall within the "Australia" missing. :blink:

-G