Garrick's Mini-Migration Blog

Garrick

I'm limited on how many pictures I can upload (2MB total)... what you're seeing are images reduced by 25%... the originals are amazing. :P

The people are friendly for sure. It's not like SA / JHB where everyone is on their own mission. You can actually have a brief chat with complete strangers in the lift. :ilikeit:

Just got phoned for another interview on Monday afternoon... and though it does seem like I have made a lot of contact and am organising interviews, it's still only 2 weeks in and I must be patient for things to happen. I just want my girls over here. :(

-G

AGREED!

We are suffering without Garrick...so jealous that he is over there and we are stuck here.

Our 17 month old is really missing him...she pointed at a photo of him the other day and then took me into the study so that we could Skype him! And when we asked her today if she'd like to go in a big aeroplane to see daddy, she nodded her little head so vigorously, that she was nodding her whole body!

Virgin only start flying on 13 March, so that is the first date we can head through!! Wishing the next few weeks away!

AGREED!

We are suffering without Garrick...so jealous that he is over there and we are stuck here.

Our 17 month old is really missing him...she pointed at a photo of him the other day and then took me into the study so that we could Skype him! And when we asked her today if she'd like to go in a big aeroplane to see daddy, she nodded her little head so vigorously, that she was nodding her whole body!

Virgin only start flying on 13 March, so that is the first date we can head through!! Wishing the next few weeks away!

Oh Michelle, your little girl sounds so cute......not long now!!!!!!!

Erica

Ok... tomorrow I'm going to do a stealth recon of Sunbury... a wander around the area... seeing what life is like...and I'll take some pics too.

-G

Ok... So I didn't find much to photograph in Sunbury... It's just not big enough. :ilikeit:

So I took a picture of what I believe is the main road... since it had the most shops on it! :ilikeit:

post-13320-1266638424.jpg

It's a nice place, and I could see it as a nice place to stay if you liked farming (hides from Mara) and the rustic feel. The houses are nice, and there are some really big ones, and they're far cheaper than in civilization Melbourne.

I don't think Michelle would be happy there though, because it's quite some distance from her cousins in the east, and we can't really use the train to take Amy to visit, as they'd have to have a carseat on that side...or we'd just have to drive for a long way. So though I think it'd suite families that don't want to live in a big city and the "older" generation, I don't think young/new families will be completely happy there. I must say that people were very friendly there and I noticed how the few kids I did see were happily playing in the front yard.

The Sunbury shopping center had a real community feel to it with lots of people gathering for brekky/tea/lunch and the Coles there was quite large. It had all the junk fast food places as well as Big W, Woolies, Target and various bargain stores. I think for major appliances and vehicles you'd likely have to hit Melbourne to hunt for deals.

-G

Thanks for sharing that, sounds like the job offer is close. It will be really great when your family joins you.

Good luck for the weeks interviews. Jill

Our tickets are booked!!

We will be joining Garrick in Melbourne on 17 March...

soooo much to do now, but its awesome to have a date to look forward to!

Booked through V Australia as their bassinettes take up to 18 kg's.

And i'm in hysterics at Garricks thoughts on Sunbury...when I looked at the houses on the internet, I told him it looked quite rural but lovely...guess I was right. Maybe when we retire!....so give us like 30 years and we might end up there :blink:

HI there

So excited for you all. I'm new to this forum and must admit that all of your excitement and enthusiasm is quite inspiring!

Not sure where we'll be headed, but hopefully soon. Thanks keep the news flowing, I'm loving it.

:ilikeit:

I was wondering whether I should stick up for Sunbury, but then I thought what the hell, people can think what they like. There are more than 20 RSA families living here, none of them over the hill or old...but they do not live in the couple of main streets of the town centre. Sunbury is actually quite big and spread out. If you make it to the suburbs, then you may have seen all the kids playing, and their young parents pottering around the garden. In fact a lot of the older folks live in and around the town centre, as that was the 'suburbs' when many many of them bought their homes 20 - 30 or more years ago. For major appliances and motor vehicles you just need to know where to go. Sunbury does have appliance stores and car dealers. If they are not enough for you then fifteen minutes away you have Watergardens shopping area, you definitely do not have to go to the city to shop, very few people do that in any case.

Fortunately, it is different strokes for different folks, but do not be so quick to judge something you do not know.

If you have family on the east, then of course, that is where you should live. The support of having family close by is fantastic.

getting withdrawl symptoms here Garrick :) didn't get my daily blog.....

That's because I don't post till I've spoken to my wife about the day, and I only just got off Skype with her now. :P

Today I went for my second interview at one company...at the end they asked me how much I'd expect... but they have to discuss things as the German project/development manager is currently in New Zealand and he has to give input / decide.

Tomorrow I was supposed to be going to see another company, but that hasn't been finalised due to large company processes...so I wait... and speak to more agencies as the days go by.

Otherwise a bit of an uneventful day...other than being annoyed with Ebay... Michelle is by far more the better shopper in that arena...

-G

hehe I totally understand, the Missus must know first :whome:

Thanks for the updates, really interresting to know what you are up to and how the days go by....

Right... today was rather a slow day... just did some groceries... then watch some winter Olympics and then played on my laptop while waiting for phonecalls... and nothing until around 15H00...when it seemed everyone decided it'd be a good time to phone.

I now have a telephonic interview tomorrow morning with someone in Canberra (second round) which is for a position in Melbourne.

I also have a meeting on Thursday to receive an offer of employment from the other company.

Seeing another agency tomorrow, and also had 2 other agencies phone me about prospective positions.

Hoping that by the end of the week I'll have 2 offers... though I'm kind of hoping they'll both be to start in April, because then I'd be able to spend some time with my wife and kid before I start work...but I can only hope.

-G

Right... today was rather a slow day... just did some groceries... then watch some winter Olympics and then played on my laptop while waiting for phonecalls... and nothing until around 15H00...when it seemed everyone decided it'd be a good time to phone.

I now have a telephonic interview tomorrow morning with someone in Canberra (second round) which is for a position in Melbourne.

I also have a meeting on Thursday to receive an offer of employment from the other company.

Seeing another agency tomorrow, and also had 2 other agencies phone me about prospective positions.

Hoping that by the end of the week I'll have 2 offers... though I'm kind of hoping they'll both be to start in April, because then I'd be able to spend some time with my wife and kid before I start work...but I can only hope.

-G

POSITIVE, POSITIVE Garrick!!!

and GOOD LUCK!! Heck, how are these telephonic interviews, I have never had one of those.....would seem so weird to sit in bed, or sloffing around in your slippers talking to someone who can offer you a position....I would get dressed up for that phone call.... :whome::whome::whome:

That made me laugh EricaC....I recall my husband having his tele interview whilst still in SA...in his undies!!!! It was very early in the morning and they caught him coming out of the shower. He said it was the weirdest feeling ever- but somehow exhilerating.

The agent actually did ask me to get dressed properly for the phone interview... so that it'd put me in the right frame of mind - the company is a world renowned company... so they're obviously hoping for the placement.

-G

Great pics, fantastic progress.....seems you're on top of everything. It seems almost all Oz companies want you to start within a couple of days, not the standard 1 month wait as in RSA. I have some questions around the drivers lic process.....will PM you.

Keep up the good work

Ok, I have the first offer. Now just hoping the second company comes back to me soon.

-G

Excellent news, seems things are working out so well............

Hi G

Great news - seems jobs are growing on trees - what line of industy are you in? We're probably going to be the same boat as you and your family in a few months.....with my hubby there settling in etc.

and second question - I see you did the LSD after getting the visa and so got the stamps for each member of family. Does the whole family have to "clock in" to begin the visa stamp thing at the same time? Or can my hubby get his stamp and the rest of the family arrive some time later? I assume this means that our start date would then only commence when everyone has arrived?

Hi G

Great news - seems jobs are growing on trees - what line of industy are you in? We're probably going to be the same boat as you and your family in a few months.....with my hubby there settling in etc.

and second question - I see you did the LSD after getting the visa and so got the stamps for each member of family. Does the whole family have to "clock in" to begin the visa stamp thing at the same time? Or can my hubby get his stamp and the rest of the family arrive some time later? I assume this means that our start date would then only commence when everyone has arrived?

Hi W&W, I'm in IT... software development. Got over a decade experience in it. I was told I'd get work easily once I got here...but it's a very tough decision to make to actually leave a job of 5 years where I was heading for my dream senior job (which they actually offered me within 5 minutes of me resigning...). And it's equally hard going over alone and leaving your wife and child behind...not being able to be there to help out.

In answer to your second question, I believe it is a requirement that all family members (and other?) listed as part of the visa are required to validate at the same time... actually... just spent a couple minutes going through our Visa grant letter and all correspondence from our agent and DIAC and could not find anything that said we all had to come through together. :ilikeit:

-G

The only requirement about validating is that the main applicant either comes in first or together with the rest of the family. The family cannot enter before the main applicant.

Ok... my first day at work... and boy is that feeling an amusing one. I last went through a "first day" 4 years 11 months ago. But now I am older, married, and a father. And though, as always, half the stuff mentioned (IT terms) is new to me, I know that it'll be like that for a few weeks, and then I will start to perform.

Right now, it seems everyone's departed the building...guessing they all go somewhere for lunch... I must find out where... or maybe I should venture outside...but not sure what's a decently priced place to grab something for lunch is...

Busy doing all my forms too... Tax form, Super form, etc. At least I have a PC... but next to me is a nice fat file of documentation for me to read...meh. :ilikeit:

Ahh... that first day feeling. Bliss. :ilikeit:

-G

My first day at my current role:

I was phoned the Friday before the Monday I was due to start and asked if I could work from home for the first three days of my new job as the rest of my team would be at a training session and there would be nobody to even let me into the floor. And by the way because they haven't organised anything could they use my private mobile number and forward a bunch of reading to my private email address for me to read.

It took me about 5 hours to read the stuff I was sent and then I had nothing to do for the next 2 days. Fortunately the software on my private PC was compatible with all the documents sent.

So my first real day was actually day 4.

Edited by 13 years out of rsa

Congratulations on the job! Not long til your family gets there :-)

Edited by Nessa

I'm a bit distressed right now... I've not spoken to or seen my girls in two days. ;)

Yesterday was the ISP... today the ISP claims its the router... and nobody at my wife knows anything about resetting a router...or anything IT... they just use stuff. Depressed now... <sigh>

I need to see my girls.

And to top that, there seems to be cellphone network issues today in South Africa...so I can't even have an "sms discussion"... and then for about 2 hours my Virgin broadband USB connection would stay connected for 5 seconds then drop.

Eish... not having a good evening... so much I want to talk to my girls about...

-G