189/190's Lodged Nov 2015

JoleneW

Good day @Chips

Yes we arrived in Perth safely, everything went well. Will start na new thread soon. We have a lot to share, we made a few really stupid mistake within the few days since leaving SA, I can actually write a book about it.  We applied for medicare today unfortunately not being used to paying parking, we received our first packing fine of $60, really stupid mistake, but we wil never forget to pay again. Hehe.  

Good luck to everyone making the move it's definitely worth it. 

• Like 3

Glad you have arrived safely Hanlie.  Hope the jet lag hasn't been to hectic.

All the best with getting settled in, can't wait to read your thread :)

@Hanliedb thank you so much for the feedback can't wait for you new thread, we all learn from our mistakes even though that was an expensive one.

Hi @Hanliedb so happy to hear you've arrived safely! Please do share your experiences with us. Good luck with settling in!

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what I found in my inbox today........... our visas have arrived. We are so excited after waiting over four months since lodging. Such a relief. Now to start spilling the beans:D.

• Like 3

:oHappy:Day ! Thats so quick!!   AWESOME!! :ilikeit:

- Our stuff is all packed in a container waiting to be shipped, we're just waiting for house to sell before we can ship it, and the cats ♥♡❥  note to Captain's log: you can get everything you had, here.  like every thing!  right down to that sentimental hippie throw, i discovered :unsure: mates told me this, i didn't listen :(   bring only your treasures, save yourself the rest of the stress.  Happy packing :)) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MelG said:

:oHappy:Day ! Thats so quick!!   AWESOME!! :ilikeit:

- Our stuff is all packed in a container waiting to be shipped, we're just waiting for house to sell before we can ship it, and the cats ♥♡❥  note to Captain's log: you can get everything you had, here.  like every thing!  right down to that sentimental hippie throw, i discovered :unsure: mates told me this, i didn't listen :(   bring only your treasures, save yourself the rest of the stress.  Happy packing :)) 

Who did you use for your cats? If you don't mind my asking, was it expensive?

On 17 March 2016 at 3:31 PM, TracyAnne said:

Who did you use for your cats? If you don't mind my asking, was it expensive?

We used Animal Travel Services, and our local vet - who are guided through the process if they don't already know it.

So we have two cats.  We haven't finished spending it all, but costs were basically:

approx. ZAR 7,000.00 - Vet (appointments, bloods, tests, vaccinations, etc.)

Animal Travel Services - quote: ZAR 14,040.00

AU$ 720.00 - Australian permit

AU$ 29.00 - Australian quarantine booking assessment (per cat)

AU$ 1,461.00 - 10days quarantine (per cat)

So equals about 60k for both our cats.  

I couldn't find them suitable homes.  They require constant adoration!!   We love them very much, and once we've sold the house the funds will be there.  It will be awesome for the kids, and them, and meeee!! when we're all reunited.  Good luck with your decisions ╭დ

Edited by MelG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

How is everyone's planning going?

We booked our tickets yesterday to avoid the 1 April increases and have booked temporary accommodation for two weeks after we arrive, we decided to fly on Youth day 16 June, so only 11 weeks to go...not that I'm counting.

Our MoveCube is arriving on the 11 April, and we've pretty much packed up the items that are going and will start selling/donating off the rest in the next couple of weeks.  I can't believe we are finally at this point...I don't think its properly sunk in yet! 

Good luck to all the November lodgers with the rest of your arrangements :D

Anyone else flying in June 2016?

• Like 1

@JoleneWYou have done a lot! we fly on 29 June and I sold off a number of the kids unused things this weekend. Our house is on show this afternoon. will advertise furniture im not taking in the next week as we didn't want an empty dining room/family room since we are not taking those items.

Tickets and accommodation booked and finalising quotes with movers.

Hi @Sweepea and @JoleneW

I am also planning to fly first week of June. Yet to book a flight but I have resigned from work so will probably book in next 2 weeks. Have the month of May to tie up admin and pack up things. Going to use IOM for flight. Did you guys do the same? Thankfully have family there so accommodation is not an issue.

• Like 1

@BobSAI booked flights with IOM. organising insurance now with Flight Centre as you pay IOM by EFT and not credit card. How nice for you to have people there when you land. We booked with Airbnb. my last day at work is 17 June and we fly 29 June but I will take leave in May as the removal co will take our household goods probably 1 and 2 June. SOrting out 1 or 2 things per day whilst at work and started selling off things. Signed an OTP on our investment apartment and having another showday today. are you taking a container? who will you use? I will probably go with Bayleys.

Hi @Sweepea 

Not taking much apart from kitchen things and clothes so no need for a container on my side. Heard about these cube things for sending good across so will use that- heard Seven Seas Shipping is good from a friend so will try that. Have already secured a tenant for my place also so that saves that hassle.

Hi BobSA and Sweepea,

Been a bit slack checking forum updates, so much on the go...lol.

We booked our flights for the 16th June on Quantas through Discover Vitality, we got a really good price as we managed to get 20% discount through Vitality. We only have the standard 30kg luggage allowance each, which is more than enough for us. The thought of having to hang onto 3 kids, clear customs and maneuver large amounts of luggage is daunting enough. Our connecting flight is only 1h40m after we land so that is stressing me a little, I hope we're going to be able to pull that off. BobSA, maybe we'll end up on the same flight, wouldn't that be funny!

Our MoveCube left on Monday, so that was exciting. We decided to take a Large cube but Seven Seas didn't have availability so offered to send us two mediums for the price of the large. We packed and measured everything before hand so the loading went quite quickly. Nothing was overly heavy so my Hubby and Nephew managed to load everything well within the allocated time allowance. According to their time frames the cubes should arrive between the 26 June and 12 July which is perfect timing. The whole process was smooth and I have no complaints...just praying everything arrives when and where it's supposed to.

We have booked temp accommodation for two weeks when we arrive through Tamara @ homesdownunder.com.au who we found through this forum so that is sorted. We also have a lead on a permanent rental through a South African family that have bought a house in Adelaide but are relocating to Brisbane for work and wanting to rent out their house, amazing thing is that it is in the exact area we want to stay.

We have opened our Commonwealth bank accounts and already done our first transfer...quite sad to see how your money goes from something to almost nothing...at least we aren't transferring to Pounds...lol.

So everything seems to be on track at the moment...63 days to go :)

• Like 3

Hi @JoleneW

Your post makes me feel like I have not yet done enough regarding my impending departure. I am struggling to get hold of anybody at IOM to get a quote on a flight. Receptionist keeps putting me through to a person's voicemail- SA service strikes again :rolleyes: 

Vitality discount will be my back-up option and I was hoping to finalise my booking by this week. Still looking at 1st or 2nd weekend in June. Probably a Saturday if possible.But you never know we could end of the same flight! I have been hearing some good stories on the job front from a friend that just moved to Melbourne in the same field as me so that bodes well. Dawned upon me how little time left I have to spend with so many different people and even worse how little weekends I have left. Time waits for nobody has never applied more to me in my life...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

This thread has been quiet for a while. How is the packing and goodbyes going? I have booked my flight for 11th June 2016 and busy wrapping up things in SA now.

Hi from PE

We are planning to leave on the 26th July. Waiting for the sale of our house to go through. Will soon start getting bank accounts set up in Australia. We probably will land in Brisbane and explore work opportunities from there. At the moment we are re-homing our dogs and horses and selling caravan and car. Work is still a problem in that I have no one who wants to take over my business. Slowly starting to spread the word that we are leaving which often creates awkwardness. We also have a mountain of stuff to sell or give away since we are leaning towards not taking a container. We are getting nervous now and are not sure what to take and what to leave. Great to see others from this group already landing. Good luck to all.

• Like 1