crime in Oz

Donnyvcpt

It wasn't even that special or unusual - it was one of those decorative concrete pillar letter boxes that you buy at garden centres. Clearly we saved somebody else $300 though!

Oh, and we replaced it with a $20 Bunnings one that you stick in the ground :)

Yeah...I have to agree. I would def look twice if I saw a place here with burglar bars and major security. It would stick out like a sore thumb for sure!

But yes, Fly screens and lockable windows, fly screen/security gate. Though everyone in our apartment building never locks their "security gates". They seem to be more of a pain to people than a thing of security. I lock ours every night in addition to our front door only because the kids know how to unlock the door and I have had awful images of them waking up at night and walking out the door and out of the apartment building. So we lock the security/fly screen door at night.

Yes, you are right. There is no place that is crime free...and we as South Africans should be grateful for the inbuilt extra caution (locking our cars, doors etc) because that is in fact better to do and to continue to do. Rather don't make yourself an easy target. Pack away the GPS, don't leave valuables in clear view in your car. I think these things should be considered plain old common sense.

You become more relaxed really quickly here, but I always try to retain a bit of wariness. Nowhere in the world is crime free.

In our circle of family, friends and work associates here in Oz, we have heard about more home invasions, theft from cars and work place break-ins than we hear from similar size group of family, friends and work associates in SA (CT)!

Just off the top of my head....

I have had my car broken into in our drive way and at the beach, our neighbour has had his front door kicked in twice in 12 months and only last week he asked me if we had heard anyone in our backyard. His outside security light was activated when he went to investigate he heard someone running away. He has also had his car broken into.

Close friends of ours in neighbouring suburb have had their garage broken into and amongst valuables also had the auto garage remote opener stolen from both cars. They had to change locks and electronics. Other friends in same suburb had their home broken into around 9am, stole valuables including WW2 medals. They were even on TV appealing for the medals to be returned. Just last night we had a bbq with them and they were saying that as a result of the burglary, their 14 year old daughter refuses to sleep with the lights off! Other friends in Kinross (WA) also had their front door bashed in, TV< DVD< PC's, etc stolen and drawers in all rooms rummaged through for cash and valuables.

We employed an engineer from SA who like all of us was seeking out a better and safer future for his family. They rented a house and whilst waiting for theor shipping container to arrive they were "roughing it" with borrowed furniture and a few personal belongings. They had their laundry door kicked in, all valuables stolen and on the way out they saw the keys to the car so that was stolen, along with the house keys! All this whilst wifey was enjoying her new found freedom in Aus ans walking the kids to school! :blink:

In the last two months we have had a break-in at our Brisbane office (twice in 2 months)

PcfOPhS.jpg

and a break-in at our Adelaide office. These guys cut a hole in the back of the building, smashed the telephone connections and disconnected the mains supply before making off with valuables. (PS! The replacement sheet was from a previous burglary a few years ago!)

TgblfpWl.jpg

yWC32Ppl.jpg

I call it as it is, I I see it without hiding anything. If anyone disagrees then i ask why is it necessary for the Police display these signs in areas of high home invasion areas. The sad part is that I'm seeing more and more of these signs. In fact I thought it was such a good idea to make people aware of the situation that I called the police and was eventually put through to a Sgt Paddy who was reluctant to take my call. I thanked him for the initiative and he said that he thought I was a real estate agent complaining about the signs. Apparently nothing pisses of an agent more than having one of these signs down the road from where they are trying to sell a house.

It's not all doom 'n gloom and it's by no means comparable to the violent crime we hear about all too often in SA but PLEASE do not fool yourself that crime does not happen and everything is a bed of roses. Those that do not lock their doors or practice some kind of home/personal security are fools and you will get caught, bringing your false feeling of safety and security crashing down.

PS! If anyone thinks I live in a dodgy area think again. We live in a sought after beach side Perth suburb. The house across the road has just been sold for $1.2M :o

5OTlWQjl.jpg

Edited by Johnno

It wasn't even that special or unusual - it was one of those decorative concrete pillar letter boxes that you buy at garden centres. Clearly we saved somebody else $300 though!

Oh, and we replaced it with a $20 Bunnings one that you stick in the ground :)

It's a Saturday night special for drunks on the way home from the pub.................steal a letterbox, or drive along in a car and play letterbox baseball.

Johhno, I think that thieves deliberately target upmarket suburbs with better houses.......the pickings are better in Mindarie than St James or Carlisle. Still, you're not likely to get raped, or burned with hot water or an iron, or shoved in a chest freezer, just for the sake of a few personal belongings..................the more violent crime is usually where victim and perpetrator are known to one another and there is a history of violence or drugs, or a straight crime of passion..............There have been a fair few men get rid of their wives in the last few years.

Johhno, I think that thieves deliberately target upmarket suburbs with better houses.......the pickings are better in Mindarie than St James or Carlisle. Still, you're not likely to get raped, or burned with hot water or an iron, or shoved in a chest freezer, just for the sake of a few personal belongings..................the more violent crime is usually where victim and perpetrator are known to one another and there is a history of violence or drugs, or a straight crime of passion..............There have been a fair few men get rid of their wives in the last few years.

Andrea, there's as many break-ins and certainly A LOT MORE theft and anti-social behaviour in the less desirable suburbs than the more expensive areas ,that's a guarantee!

I've been careful not to compare Aus crime with SA crime (that's not what the thread was about) yet that always seems to creep into these discussions. However since you mention heinous crimes in SA where victims are tortured, I agree, that is not something that one is likely to stumble across in Aus. As a matter of fact, I believe that in SA there's very reliable data to support that of the violent crimes in SA, in most cases like murder, something like 80% the perpetrator is known to the victim. I believe the BIG DIFFERENCE between Aus and SA is the effectiveness of the police. And,it always amazes me how quickly Aus crims are apprehended. Also, in SA if 80% of the perpetrators are known to the victim, why is there such a low conviction rate? Useless police force!!!

Andrea, there's as many break-ins and certainly A LOT MORE theft and anti-social behaviour in the less desirable suburbs than the more expensive areas ,that's a guarantee!

I've been careful not to compare Aus crime with SA crime (that's not what the thread was about) yet that always seems to creep into these discussions. However since you mention heinous crimes in SA where victims are tortured, I agree, that is not something that one is likely to stumble across in Aus. As a matter of fact, I believe that in SA there's very reliable data to support that of the violent crimes in SA, in most cases like murder, something like 80% the perpetrator is known to the victim. I believe the BIG DIFFERENCE between Aus and SA is the effectiveness of the police. And,it always amazes me how quickly Aus crims are apprehended. Also, in SA if 80% of the perpetrators are known to the victim, why is there such a low conviction rate? Useless police force!!!

Sometimes yeas and sometimes no, anti-social behaviour definitely, but not always crime .........

UPMARKET Claremont and Swanbourne have a higher crime rate than Rockingham, according to analysis of our safest suburbs.

The latest WA Police crime data reveals Rockingham, home to Opposition Leader Mark McGowan, is the 16th safest out of the 30 local government areas, with a crime rate of 27 for every 1000 people.

The local government area of Claremont which includes the suburb of Claremont, home to Premier Colin Barnett comes in at 18th, with 28 crimes, including assaults, burglaries, car theft and robberies, for every 1000 people.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/we-reveal-perths-safest-areas/story-e6frg143-1226367679291

Sometimes yeas and sometimes no, anti-social behaviour definitely, but not always crime .........

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/we-reveal-perths-safest-areas/story-e6frg143-1226367679291

I suppose it really depends on which suburbs one wants to "hand-pick" to support their view.

Here's WA Police crime stats for Armadale. Very affordable living, some people rave about it but looking at crime stats I'd take my chances in upmarket Hillary's.

85CjWK5l.jpg

Hillary's, WA

ibOjcB7l.jpg

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/Statistics/Searchcrimestatistics/tabid/998/Default.aspx

Edited by Johnno

Home security is a growing industry in Oz and a great business opportunity for an enterprising Saffa! ^_^ It was only in Oz that heard about "ram raids". It was brought to my attention around 2003 when one of the businesses in the same business complex as one of our interstate branches was ram raided! The thieves stole a 4x4 and drove it straight through the front of a computer shop! We received a letter from the body corporate suggesting that all ground floor businesses facing the car park should strongly consider installing anti-ram raid bollards.

Wow Johnno sounds like Perth is definitely the Wild, Wild West ;)

All stats can be presented and read to suit the situation.

We are living here and everybody knows you cannot compare it to SA but on the other hand why be naive and leave your home or yourself open to problems?

My daughter is a 19 year old uni student and we have had 4 international students near her age murdered in Brisbane since November. Two of the perps were known to the killers, one was lured on Gumtree and one just found dead last week near Southbank.

My daughter is no longer walking alone from classes, she always has to walk with somebody now.

LOL Bronwyn&Co, not the wild west here in Perth, just an honest assessment and telling it the way it is, as I see it. I have nothing to prove, no axe to grind but it does "piss me off" when people on expat forums try make out like nothing will ever happen. I thought the same and I used to leave my car unlocked in the carport. I mean this is Australia, why lock your car on your property. That was in Feb when we arrived,on that easter weekend (3 months later) I forgot my wallet and camera in the centre console and the next morning it was gone! I had a phone call from a lady who had found my wallet in her driveway. All the cash gone, just a business card from which she got my details.

but then every now and again something really good happens, like a few weeks ago my son lost his wallet at a skate park. It was picked up by a young bloke who drove all the way to our house (got address from drivers license in wallet) and dropped the wallet off at our place, complete with $80 cash still in tact and all cards. This happened before my son even realised he'd lost his wallet. After thanking the young bloke he said, no worries, I'd expect someone to do the same for me. In CT my elderly Mom left her handbag in a shopping trolly. By the time she got home there was a message to say that the good Samaritan had taken her bag to the Wimpy in the mall and left it with the manager. fifteen minutes later she was reunited with her handbag and all her belongings, yes it even happens in SA :hug:

I have always considered Mandurah to be a really nice area but then look at the WA Police stats and one starts to wonder....

tDphJ0k.png

• Like 1

When we first arrived in Adelaide I called a computer guy to come and help with I-don't-know what, wireless networking or something. When he got to our house I was just busy in the study, enjoying my new freedom with the front door wide open.

Anyway this Aussie guy gave me a big uitk@k and said 'It's not safe, you MUST lock up your door when you're home alone!' Etc etc. So that scared me and I was a bit more cautious after that.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Johnno, I'm not hand-picking stats..............lol, but one has to remember that some thieves actually have brains and would rather get a bigger haul in a swanky neighbourhood.................it is the same with kerbside pick-ups.............there are people that visit the specific suburbs on pick-up day, because the pickings are likely to be of a better quality, i.e. older suburbs like Como and South Perth might have more older residents who are more likely to put antique or retro furniture on the kerbside than suburbs with a high rental rate and average goods.

BTW ramraids have been around since the 30's, popular in the US, sometimes in the UK and even in RSA, usually on cash machines.

I don't think that anyone is trying to paint a picture of a crime free society, in fact it seems there have been a fair few crimes this very week, with a French student murdered in Brisbane, A South Australian man has murdered his parents, and a Melbourne man stabbed to death....................it is just that usually crime here has different motives.

A lot of people don't have the option of taking their chances in Hilarys and have to live, in Belmont, Armadale and the like. Actually I was quite surprised by this http://house.ksou.cn/suburb_compare.php?r=Armadale&sta=wa&q=Hillarys,%20WA in that there are quite a few demographic similarities, despite the disparity in income and house price.

The thing that people need to know is that there are no crime free suburbs, yes, some are better than others, but criminals, as in thieves etc are opportunists forthe most part, other than career criminals, so yes, people should be sensible about security etc, but living in a less upmarket suburb does not necessarily mean you are going to be a victim of crime.

A lot of people don't have the option of taking their chances in Hilarys and have to live, in Belmont, Armadale and the like. Actually I was quite surprised by this http://house.ksou.cn/suburb_compare.php?r=Armadale&sta=wa&q=Hillarys,%20WA in that there are quite a few demographic similarities, despite the disparity in income and house price.

The thing that people need to know is that there are no crime free suburbs, yes, some are better than others, but criminals, as in thieves etc are opportunists forthe most part, other than career criminals, so yes, people should be sensible about security etc, but living in a less upmarket suburb does not necessarily mean you are going to be a victim of crime.

And this is what I believe the essence of this discussion to be. Someone from SA researching information about crime in Oz and they are given advice (by some) that there's no need to lock up the house, you can leave cars doors unlocked etc. The fact is, whether you live in swanky Hillary's, upmarket Cottesloe next door to the States Premier or in the lower priced Armadale or Balcatta, crime is never too far off. A Saffa arriving from a good middle class suburb in SA with not much AUD but desperate to get back into home ownership will be very disappointed with the crime and anti social behaviour in places like Armadale etc.

• Like 1

I wouldn't dream of living in Belmont, WA. A friend of mine bought a house in Cloverdale and I visited her the one night. On the way home we drove past cops that were stopping people all over the place on the street, we saw someone that was sitting in the middle of the road drunk/high out of their mind in front of a car... not good.

A good way to get an idea of what an area is like is to use the public transport in the area or go to the local supermarket and see what the locals are like. Using the 37 bus to/from the airport is always entertaining.

• Like 1

Imagine if you were visiting Oz (LSD trip) from SA and were invited to this wedding which took place over the weekend in an expensive riverside suburb of Perth. (PS! Note the Trellidor barriers, they came in handy on this occasion)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/22435928/bride-locked-in-kitchen-during-attack/

Edited by Johnno

I saw that and was shocked... big difference is that this is big news here and quite unusual.

Regardless of these incidents, the reality is that Australia is a far better country to live in overall than South Africa right now.

I saw that and was shocked... big difference is that this is big news here and quite unusual.

Regardless of these incidents, the reality is that Australia is a far better country to live in overall than South Africa right now.

It's not "quite unusual" in Perth, it's almost par for the course! Just google "out of control parties". It's such problem that there's new state laws being introduced to allow better police control and to prosecute people who lose control of these parties. Friends of ours had an 18th b/party for their daughter a few weeks ago and landed up calling the cops. The cop said that if they had left it another 15 mins it would have been a disaster!My son went to a 15th party (yes 15th) and when he came home early I asked why, only to be told that gate crashers had arrived, throwing bottles, damaging cars and jumping over the fence. Parents shut it down quickly with the help of cops. Not all anti social behaviour is a crime but it can make for a pretty annoying and downright scary night!

Edited by Johnno

Might be why it was popular when we lived in Brisbane for people to hold an 18th birthday on a boat on the river - no chance of gate crashers.

Edited by Crisplet

Hmm last time I picked my 16 year old son up from a party the cops were there. Some of the kids were shouting and screaming in the backyard, parents sitting up in their bedroom ignoring the ruckus. Neighbors phoned the police at about 10.

I've also picked my daughter up from outside a house party where police chased them all out and said they had 10 minutes to get a lift or they were being dropped at the station. She was very shaken. It was only about 10pm. She was about 16. It was just supposed to be a small birthday gatho for a friend.

Ahhh well.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Wow, and I Googled for "parties in Perth that went off quietly without gatecrashers, assaults or police being called" and was HORRIFIED to see there were none - not one.

Of course crap happens - it just doesn't happen nearly as much as in the armpit of the 3rd world we come from.

A gatecrashed party there would have to have at least two murders and someone "important" (by that I mean self-important) inconvenienced before it made the papers.

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 3

Sort of stuff going on at these parties that people in South Africa would associate with what we would expect to find going on in townships here in South Africa. I feel sorry for the wedding, imagine having a brick put into your face....

• Like 2

Finally, thanks Johno, you got what I was really asking. This was never meant to be a competition between the 2 countries. I still live in SA and I see all the crime happening around me here, even the crime you guys might not hear of, so I really just wanted to hear honest encounters or experiences of crime in OZ.

The main concern seems to be petty theft and home invasion, not overlooking the murders, but you guys mentioned 4 murders that happened nation wide so I really can't see that as a major threat.

Based on what you guys are saying, I will definitely be securing my property once I land over there, and while I'm renting, I'll discuss installing safety equipment with the owner. I don't see any point in making yourself a target.

I'm also noticing all this talk of anti-social behaviour. Seems very contradictory to the whole aussies are friendly and helpful concept.

Can't wait to see for myself.....preferably not in Lake grace though.

• Like 1