So. Came back. And...

hopalong

Question

So. After 6 years in Oz and getting our citizenship after four of those years, we decided to come back to SA. We packed up all our stuff, and shipped it here.

Been here now for 8 months. And it feels like the worst choice we could have ever made. I won't go into all the detail, but it's basically the same reasons we left, and are the same reasons most people leave.

I'll save you from the "everything is worse than it was 6 years ago in SA" spiel. This is not what this post is about.

The thing is that I am petrified of going back to Oz. Went into depression the first time we moved there. Took me 7 months to find a job. Even though I am highly qualified and experienced with an Aussie masters degree in business, and a decade of management experience.

I experienced so much damn xenophobia and bullying in the workplace that I thought maybe I'm the problem. Maybe I need to just "become more Aussie". But on closer analysis, almost every foreigner in there was treated like crap and bullied. Tried another two companies. And it was pretty much the same thing. I clearly don't have the thick skin that some of my more successful expat acquaintances have who have experienced the same thing but are able to move on quickly.

Even as an Aussie citizen, things didn't change. Being bullied and being front of line for retrenchment.

Hence my trepidation of going back to Melbourne.

I love what Aus gave to us. A sense of safety from crime and the chance to earn good money and bring our children up in a great environment. But I hate what it did to me personally. Taking a few hits on the chin is one thing. But to take them day in and day out kills your spirit and your will to go on. Thank God for my children and wife.

Have any of you ever left and gone back? Did you find it different the second time around?

We do have an option to go to the UK. I love the brits. So easy to get along with and I can identify with them. But starting again with a family in a new country is freaking me out. I guess six years of being broken down will do that to you.

Edited by hopalong
  • Like 1

Me, I earned a fortune in SA, but the bills were even higher. Here, I am almost debt free. (One year more) Cars (x2) will be paid By July and cards by Dec. I live like a king in Aus, i started waay down the ladder when I got here workwise, but have slowly drifted upwards, at a nice easy pace.

I earn now more than I did in SA. I have almost nothing to whine about (Except merging and roundabouts) :ilikeit::ilikeit:

We are blessed to have what we have, yes I worked hard for it, but God's grace is the provider not me. I am uber happy here in Aus. I'm sorry Desertroseas does not enjoy it here. But not all people will like it, but more importantly, not all people are that adaptable.

We came here with the clothes on our backs and $6000.

I am glad things worked out for you, your family and many other South Africans.

Like you said 'not all people are that adaptable' I am one of them.

Its kind of silly having this argument, because everyone's reality is different,

You right, very silly ....... and I am sorry I posted.

But this is how I feel about Australia/ Australian people and nothing can

change my mind.

Nothing to do with reality, being unhappy etc......

We have lockup and go apartments in S.A and another country and I can assure you we am very happy

in both countries.

As I mentioned, we had a good vacation here, but when we came here to work/live......a total different story.

Have you been or only heard about Sandton? Because there are much nicer/ exclusive, richer areas than Sandton

Yeah, you're right, she probably should have listed them all for her post to make any sense. :D

• Like 3

Its kind of silly having this argument, because everyone's reality is different,

We have lockup and go apartments in S.A and another country and I can assure you we am very happy

in both countries.

Well, that's fantastic and all that really matters.

Desertroseas: all I can say is good luck with your move back, The wife and I spoke about your post and realised that we won't even go back for a holiday we have nothing there anymore. We fly family across to Aus for holidays. We spend our holidays in Europe, with no VISA, and that would be our retirement country as well. Lock-up and go in South Africa, may not be yours when you go back because of squatter rights or just somebody cleaning out your unit :) but I respect your decision as it is a personal choice and still do not understand why coming to Aus was a forced decision...

Edited by JH6410
  • Like 2

Hi Desertrose - I must be honest, you sound very angry, and exactly like I felt a few years ago.

I expected Australia to be great, we were really excited, and then reality set in and I was beyond miserable. I cried every day and even my husband who was the world's most happy guy, fell into a deep depression. There were many reasons - our visa required us to start a business. We had to pay Australians but we couldn't pay ourselves, for 3 years. If we didn't have the SA business we would never have eaten. I started freaking out about exchange control, exchange rates, everything, until I was in a bad state but we held it together for our kids. I experienced nasty bullying at my own job. Hubby experienced 7 days a week in a uniform in the sun, in a franchise where he didn't earn one cent in 3 years. It made me very very angry. It felt like they charge you a fortune to get here and then just throw you under the bus. I didn't and still don't like the purely commercial nature of my relationship with this country because it feels like a contract with a bank - they hold all the cards and we are grateful for crumbs. Immi dept even left my husband's eldest off the visa and so we paid again.

I turned to the forum and lashed out in frustration. I was so sick of reading the stories of everyone being 100% happy here. I got blasted from all sides and I was deeply upset, because we had nowhere to turn. I still have a big problem when I think people seeking help and info on here are misled (by accident usually)! Anyway.

After 4 years of hell we finally got PR and 2 months later we moved to Brisbane for a fresh start. We were unfortunately unlucky and our house flooded in the Brissy floods of early 2011 and we lost about $70k repairing it. Life, huh?!

Nowadays we keep to ourselves, my husband has retrained as a driving instructor and I am studying full time. We took a huge huge knock both mentally and financially but we are ok, 7 years down the line. We do this for our kids only, they are thriving.

I still get frustrated daily with the red tape, the racism, the ignorance of some people. We are not difficult or horrible people, I promise you, and I have asked myself many, many times, if the problem was with us. I think we were maybe a bit naive, maybe a bit trusting, maybe said too much in the beginning.

We do not even speak to our neigbours here, we just keep to ourselves. Anyway, the woman went absolutely mental because my husband snapped a small branch off a tree on her pavement (council's tree) because it kept scratching our cars. She threatened to report us for damaging council property. Wtf!!!? but excuse my language. I digress.

I don't mind tatts at all. I find normal people here generally ok. They tend to be a lot nicer if they come from immigrant backgrounds. And that's the truth.

I really really hope you can come to terms with this place and find a bit of mental peace. There are beautiful spots, there are nice people. It sounds like you are here temporarily, so try and accept (if not enjoy) the ride.

I'm sorry if this post is disjointed, I'm using my phone.

Peace x

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 12

Bronwyn&Co

That was a gutsy post, nice one. You are a living example of how tough we are. Well done for sticking it out, all that bad luck sounds hectic. We will see you in Brissie soon!

PS, Ill helpp you cut down the tree that scratches your car, while the dumb@ss neighbour chick watches!! Waahaahaaa :jester::jester::jester:

Cant believe she whinged for nothing. I cut down some trees in my yard that were bothering me, hehehehe.

• Like 1

I agree Bronwyn, that was a very brave and eye opening post, you guys have been through quite a bit!

I guess it makes a person stop and think that not everybody has the same experience base on which to make their decisions and form their opinions. Some have it tougher than others and you can't expect everybody to look through the same lenses.

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing Bronwyn, I think it is also important that newbies get a well rounded and honest mix of opinions and answers................and also for all of us to realise that no two journeys are the same.

• Like 1

Bronwyn,

Thank you for understanding and listening to me and most of all,

sharing your time/ life here in Australia.

You sound like a very nice person and I wish you all the happiness you deserve.

Take care

* hold thumbs we told the company how we feel living here, looks like we will be

going back to Europe /head office.

For the first time in my life I believe in the power of prayer.

• Like 2

Desertroseas: all I can say is good luck with your move back, The wife and I spoke about your post and realised that we won't even go back for a holiday we have nothing there anymore. We fly family across to Aus for holidays. We spend our holidays in Europe, with no VISA, and that would be our retirement country as well. Lock-up and go in South Africa, may not be yours when you go back because of squatter rights or just somebody cleaning out your unit :) but I respect your decision as it is a personal choice and still do not understand why coming to Aus was a forced decision...

Oh my goodness, I don't know where you lived?

Squatters and someone clearing out homes, good heavens I don't blame

you for moving to Australia.

I go 3/4 times a year to my home in JHB and I can assure you it is very safe.

Bronwyn,

Thank you for understanding and listening to me and most of all,

sharing your time/ life here in Australia.

You sound like a very nice person and I wish you all the happiness you deserve.

Take care

* hold thumbs we told the company how we feel living here, looks like we will be

going back to Europe /head office.

For the first time in my life I believe in the power of prayer.

I hope you guys get that transfer Desertrose! If not I hope you can make peace with Australia.

Thanks to other people who have commented.

It's good to know that people can be honest on here. I think we've all had that post that we regret because we've blown off a bit of steam. So it's nice that we can be accepting and understanding of other people's experiences, which are genuine.

Hi Desertoseas.. did you not see the :) it was a tong in cheek comment.

We moved from a high end secure golf estate in Centurion to QLD then Adelaide but had one of our properties in Hermanus (holiday home), on the beach, (the others were ok) which would be a low risk area, according to the banks and insurance company. It took me 9 months and +-R100K in legal fees (and a flight to RSA also paid people to throw them out) to get squatters out after we moved to Aus which was a rented house for holiday rentals, the agent just said they don't want to get involved. The damage was another R80K over and above the $100K in legal fees. I have since sold the place and purchased an apartment in Europe instead.

I hope all goes well for you, I am also not comfortable in Aus but looking elseware when I retire. We hated QLD thus moved to Adelaide, great environment and have great friends here.

Edited by JH6410

Oh my goodness, I don't know where you lived?

Squatters and someone clearing out homes, good heavens I don't blame

you for moving to Australia.

I go 3/4 times a year to my home in JHB and I can assure you it is very safe.

We also have a lock-up and go in Cape Town and make every effort to visit as often as we can. Whilst our kids are still at school it restricts our travels to school holidays. The plan however is that one day in the not too distant future we'll be able to make a lot more use of out house in CT, maybe even as a home base to travel into neighbouring Namibia, Botswana, Zim and Mozambique. There's nothing better than the familiarity of your place of birth, family and old friends.

Gotta share this: I never forget a few years ago I stopped for a haircut in one of Perth's northern suburbs and as with all hairdressers the lady cutting my hair was making friendly conversation. She quickly picked up on my SA accent and then she put her hand on my shoulder looking at me with the most sincere expression on her face she said "thank God you're safe". Apparently just about every Saffa that had ever sat in that chair had been telling her the most unbelievable and horrific stories! The poor lady thought we were all refugees. When I told her about the lovely houses that we have, the beaches, restaurants, cars etc she could not believe her ears. I assured her that crime was unacceptably high and that SA had all sorts of problems but it was really evident how so many Saffas use any and every opportunity to tell war stories. I'm still trying to figure out if these stories are told for sympathy, to impress or to justify? :blush:

Edited by Johnno

Geeze guys I suppose you are just being honest, yes we all miss our past history but I am really really happy here and feel so much safer. I do not understand when people say, but I had a nicer home in SA. I had a nice home too but the war strories? really you think they are war stories, my neighbour got shot dead and I got gang raped and thats NOT all. I think you have to understand that some of us REALLY DO HAVE WAR STORIES TO TELL!! I get annoyed that some people call them war stories when we have actually experienced the worst that anyone could possible experience. I ask you this, why did we move here? bloody hell one main reason was the safety. Call them stories if you like, You obviously have been lucky. Well, my luck was to come to Oz and if you would like to hear my stories I will sit you down sometime so you can not be so judgemental! Life is more precious than a groot huis!

• Like 8

. I'm still trying to figure out if these stories are for sympathy, to impress or to justify? :blush:

... I think you forgot option four: maybe they they really happened...

• Like 6

... I think you forgot option four: maybe they they really happened...

of course these things happen! I'm also sure that some people choose not to talk about their bad experiences, maybe others exaggerate like my very own sister in-law, that happens a lot! I'm not for one moment playing down crime in SA and I sympathise with anyone and everyone, black and white who has been exposed to violent crime and that includes you funtobeaussiechick. What does seem to be forgotten is that there's a lot of people living very happily in SA who would not want to live anywhere else, maybe they are just lucky, maybe their brush with violent crime is just around the corner? I suspect that they are so busy living their lives that they spend no time on forums telling everyone how wonderful it is ;)

Edited by Johnno

With all that has been said in this long thread are there any people living in Oz at the moment that would take it all back if they could , and never have left SA or is there something that cannot be undone about living in a safe environment that has a good future to offer. The financial security and warmth of SA is still here, albeit not for all, but if you are willing to open your mind, there is still a life here.

Maybe we can arrange a poll of all formites or " active formites"

1. In rsa busy with immigration process

2.recently moved to aus and loving it

3.recently moved to aus and hating it

4.been in aus for a few yrs and loving it

5.been is aus a few yrs and just cant seem to adapt

6.came to aus hated it and going back to rsa

7 came to aus and loving it, I only regret not doing it sooner

Jordy- can we arrange a poll I just thumbsucked these but maybe better options, more options.

• Like 1

Great idea Trevor. Some food for thought, if I may add: (ps: I would go for 4, without the loving it part)

We moved to Aus because of safety and security. As I said in previous posts, I have a wife and 2 daughters, We can't raise our daughters in South Africa as the risk to too high. South Africa is a beautiful country, yes but will never come back. Also Aus is not always what you think it is, but everybody unto themselves and I believe that wherever you are you create your own "safe mental space", our choice for now is Aus.

As pervious posts where people are more financially viable in Aus, great to hear that you are, we sacrificed that for security. Aus won't be our final destination, it's a interim stop for 10-15 years.

The reason why we are on this forum is because we enjoy talking to other South Africans and sharing our experiences. We are happy in Aus but took heaps of time to get there, went through mental hell, I was fine but my wife cried for 3 years non stop because of what we had in the RSA and family ties. If you think camping and pitching a tent creates pressure on a relationship, try immigration as it lasts for years not a weekend.

Before you leave South Africa think why you are leaving and should you want to return, be honest with yourself, did the reason why you left in the first place change? if not why go back? Should you not like Aus, there is a world out there to move to. Nobody can tell you how you are going to cope with a new country, it's up to yourself to experience it as we are all different, humans hate change and moving is change. We have found that if you want to move to a place other than Aus, find a place where they speak a form of English, the acceptance and change will be easier, that is my only real comment.

Good luck to all.

That was my $1 or R10 worth :) I am out of here, said enough.

• Like 7

Maybe we can arrange a poll of all formites or " active formites"

1. In rsa busy with immigration process

2.recently moved to aus and loving it

3.recently moved to aus and hating it

4.been in aus for a few yrs and loving it

5.been is aus a few yrs and just cant seem to adapt

6.came to aus hated it and going back to rsa

7 came to aus and loving it, I only regret not doing it sooner

Jordy- can we arrange a poll I just thumbsucked these but maybe better options, more options.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/41656-for-those-living-in-sa/

Financial security, nah did not have it in SA. Much better job here. Would I take it back? never not ever. best move I ever made:-)

• Like 5

So we came back and ..... this is what we are subjected to. How could we have "forgotten"

Distributed through the Sandton Community Police Forum

www.sandtoncpf.co.za

Open gates and house door . . . . .

Historically crime increases prior to holidays and long-weekends.

There are a series of long-weekends in March and April. Be very aware out there!

Home safety hints (courtesy - www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevention)

A high fence around the house with lockable gates is much safer than a high wall due to the advantage of the improved visibility it provides.
The primary aim of the fence is to make access/intrusion difficult and to allow dogs to move freely around the house.
Ensure that your gates are locked at all times and that the keys cannot be reached easily and are not lying around uncontrolled.
Security gates with sturdy locks in front of each outer house door as well as burglar proofing covering all windows, are recommended.
The following devices prevent easy access:

· Window bars Security doors

· Security gates Razor wire

· Additional locking devices on doors Strengthening of doors

· Peepholes in the doors Safety chains to doors

· Intercom system between the home and gate, front door or garage

Criminals driving smart cars are continuing to target both males & females driving expensive vehicles to rob them of jewellery & other valuables. Be extremely cautious and aware of being followed.

These men are armed and dangerous.

Smash and Grabs continue to occur when vehicles are stationery at traffic lights (day or night).

· DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE SEATS OF YOUR CAR.

· KEEP WINDOWS CLOSED AT INTERSECTIONS.

· LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS.

SECTOR 1:

(Gallo Manor; Khyber Rock; Lonehill East; Paulshof; Rietfontein; Sunninghill; Woodmead.)

Category:

Vehicle related crime was the main crime committed in the Sector this week.

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 14:30 to 16:00 and 22:00 to 23:00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Wednesday.

Contributing Suburbs: Sunninghill 71.42% and Paulshof 28.57.

Pertinent Detail:

In a house robbery that occurred along Spitfire Road, Sunninghill on Wednesday, 2014-03-12 at about 14:30, complainant came out of the bathroom and was confronted by 3x b/males. One was armed with a firearm. She was told not to scream. The victim was tied up with neck ties. Suspects ransacked the house. They demanded safe keys. They took electronic equipment, jewellery and cash from the safe. Suspects gained entry through the electric gate which was not working and open door. Investigation continues.

SECTOR 2:

(Bryanston; Klevehill Park; Petervale; River Club)

Category:

Vehicle related crime (Smash & grab) was the main crime committed in the Sector this week.

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 22:00 to 23:30.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Monday, Friday and Sunday.

Contributing Suburbs: Bryanston 50%; Petervale 25% and Riverclub 25%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a attempted robbery with firearm incident that occurred along St Audley/Grosvenor Rd, Bryanston on Wednesday, 2014-03-12 at about 10:10, complainant was stationary at the red robot. Window was slightly opened. An unknown b/male grabbed her hand and pointed her with a firearm. She was told to get out of the vehicle. The other motorists started hooting. Suspect tried to grab handbag but did not manage to take it. He then ran away.Investigation

continues.

SECTOR 3:

(Benmore; Dalecross; Duxberry; Little Filian; Moodie Hill; Morningside x40; New Brighton; Parkmore; Sandown; Sandhurst x4; Strathaven; Sunset Acres.)

Category:

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 08:00 and 20h00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Tuesday and Friday.

Contributing Suburbs: Sandown 69.23%; Parkmore 15.38%; Dalecross 7.69% and Benmore 7.69%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a carjacking incident that occurred along 5th Street, Sandown on Tuesday, 2014-03-11 at about 09:00, complainant was parking her vehicle Range Rover Sport when a Grey BMW reg.VKZ276GP stopped behind her. Two b/males jumped out. One pointed her and told her not to scream. One suspect remained in the car. Suspects demanded her belongings. They took electronic equipment, sunglasses and cash. Suspects also took her car keys. Investigation continues.

SECTOR 4:

(Edenburg; Morningside; Morningside Manor; Rivonia.)

Category:

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 12:00 to 20:00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Contributing Suburbs: Rivonia 62.50%; Morningside 31.25% and Edenburg 6.25%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a House robbery incident that occurred along Stiglingh Road, Rivonia on Saturday, 2014-03-08 at about 14:30, complainant was inside the house watching TV when a black male entered the lounge and pointed her with a firearm. He covered the complainant with a blanket and took her upstairs. He demanded jewellery and laptops. He took the complainant downstairs and told her to lie down. She was tied up with shoe laces. He proceeded to the lounge and took household appliances. The Security had been tied up. The Security saw four black males in a white Toyota Yaris. One got out of the vehicle and asked for water. The Security gave him but he took out a firearm and pointed the Security. The Security Guard couldn’t take the registration of the suspects’ vehicle. The suspects jumped through a window to gain entry. The suspects fled. Investigation continues.

SECTOR 5:

(Buccleuch; Eastgate; Kelvin; Kramerville; Wendywood; Woodmead.)

Category:

Vehicle related crime was the main crimes committed in the Sector this week.

Times: Times of crimes were mainly between 12:00 to 17:45 and 20:00 to 22:00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Contributing Suburbs: Woodmead Mart 58.22%; Buccleuch 29.41%; Kelvin 11.76; Eastgate 5.88% and Wendywood 5.88%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a Carjacking incident that occurred along Pretoria Main Road, Kelvin on Saturday 2014-03-08 at about 12:00, complainant was offloading two brand new vehicles from his truck (2x Audi A4 TT red and white) when approached by two coloured males. Both suspects were armed with firearms. They demanded the keys for the vehicles. They took the complainant into their white Quantum with two more suspects. They drove with the complainant until Main Reef Road. He was told to get out of the vehicle. The complainant saw Metro Police and stopped them. He explained what happened and they drove with him to Burchmore’s. All suspects are coloured males. Investigation continues.

SUCCESSES this week:

· One suspect was arrested for Burglary Business.

· One suspect was arrested for armed robbery.

· One suspect was arrested for Possession of stolen M/V. Distributed through the Sandton Community Police Forum

www.sandtoncpf.co.za

Open gates and house door . . . . .

Historically crime increases prior to holidays and long-weekends.

There are a series of long-weekends in March and April. Be very aware out there!

Home safety hints (courtesy - www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevention)

A high fence around the house with lockable gates is much safer than a high wall due to the advantage of the improved visibility it provides.
The primary aim of the fence is to make access/intrusion difficult and to allow dogs to move freely around the house.
Ensure that your gates are locked at all times and that the keys cannot be reached easily and are not lying around uncontrolled.
Security gates with sturdy locks in front of each outer house door as well as burglar proofing covering all windows, are recommended.
The following devices prevent easy access:

· Window bars Security doors

· Security gates Razor wire

· Additional locking devices on doors Strengthening of doors

· Peepholes in the doors Safety chains to doors

· Intercom system between the home and gate, front door or garage

Criminals driving smart cars are continuing to target both males & females driving expensive vehicles to rob them of jewellery & other valuables. Be extremely cautious and aware of being followed.

These men are armed and dangerous.

Smash and Grabs continue to occur when vehicles are stationery at traffic lights (day or night).

· DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE SEATS OF YOUR CAR.

· KEEP WINDOWS CLOSED AT INTERSECTIONS.

· LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS.

SECTOR 1:

(Gallo Manor; Khyber Rock; Lonehill East; Paulshof; Rietfontein; Sunninghill; Woodmead.)

Category:

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 14:30 to 16:00 and 22:00 to 23:00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Wednesday.

Contributing Suburbs: Sunninghill 71.42% and Paulshof 28.57.

Pertinent Detail:

In a house robbery that occurred along Spitfire Road, Sunninghill on Wednesday, 2014-03-12 at about 14:30, complainant came out of the bathroom and was confronted by 3x b/males. One was armed with a firearm. She was told not to scream. The victim was tied up with neck ties. Suspects ransacked the house. They demanded safe keys. They took electronic equipment, jewellery and cash from the safe. Suspects gained entry through the electric gate which was not working and open door. Investigation continues.

SECTOR 2:

(Bryanston; Klevehill Park; Petervale; River Club)

Category:

Vehicle related crime (Smash & grab) was the main crime committed in the Sector this week.

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 22:00 to 23:30.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Monday, Friday and Sunday.

Contributing Suburbs: Bryanston 50%; Petervale 25% and Riverclub 25%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a attempted robbery with firearm incident that occurred along St Audley/Grosvenor Rd, Bryanston on Wednesday, 2014-03-12 at about 10:10, complainant was stationary at the red robot. Window was slightly opened. An unknown b/male grabbed her hand and pointed her with a firearm. She was told to get out of the vehicle. The other motorists started hooting. Suspect tried to grab handbag but did not manage to take it. He then ran away.Investigation

continues.

SECTOR 3:

(Benmore; Dalecross; Duxberry; Little Filian; Moodie Hill; Morningside x40; New Brighton; Parkmore; Sandown; Sandhurst x4; Strathaven; Sunset Acres.)

Category:

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 08:00 and 20h00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Tuesday and Friday.

Contributing Suburbs: Sandown 69.23%; Parkmore 15.38%; Dalecross 7.69% and Benmore 7.69%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a carjacking incident that occurred along 5th Street, Sandown on Tuesday, 2014-03-11 at about 09:00, complainant was parking her vehicle Range Rover Sport when a Grey BMW reg.VKZ276GP stopped behind her. Two b/males jumped out. One pointed her and told her not to scream. One suspect remained in the car. Suspects demanded her belongings. They took electronic equipment, sunglasses and cash. Suspects also took her car keys. Investigation continues.

SECTOR 4:

(Edenburg; Morningside; Morningside Manor; Rivonia.)

Category:

Times: Times of crime were mainly between 12:00 to 20:00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Contributing Suburbs: Rivonia 62.50%; Morningside 31.25% and Edenburg 6.25%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a House robbery incident that occurred along Stiglingh Road, Rivonia on Saturday, 2014-03-08 at about 14:30, complainant was inside the house watching TV when a black male entered the lounge and pointed her with a firearm. He covered the complainant with a blanket and took her upstairs. He demanded jewellery and laptops. He took the complainant downstairs and told her to lie down. She was tied up with shoe laces. He proceeded to the lounge and took household appliances. The Security had been tied up. The Security saw four black males in a white Toyota Yaris. One got out of the vehicle and asked for water. The Security gave him but he took out a firearm and pointed the Security. The Security Guard couldn’t take the registration of the suspects’ vehicle. The suspects jumped through a window to gain entry. The suspects fled. Investigation continues.

SECTOR 5:

(Buccleuch; Eastgate; Kelvin; Kramerville; Wendywood; Woodmead.)

Category:

Vehicle related crime was the main crimes committed in the Sector this week.

Times: Times of crimes were mainly between 12:00 to 17:45 and 20:00 to 22:00.

Days: Majority of crimes were committed on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Contributing Suburbs: Woodmead Mart 58.22%; Buccleuch 29.41%; Kelvin 11.76; Eastgate 5.88% and Wendywood 5.88%.

Pertinent Detail:

In a Carjacking incident that occurred along Pretoria Main Road, Kelvin on Saturday 2014-03-08 at about 12:00, complainant was offloading two brand new vehicles from his truck (2x Audi A4 TT red and white) when approached by two coloured males. Both suspects were armed with firearms. They demanded the keys for the vehicles. They took the complainant into their white Quantum with two more suspects. They drove with the complainant until Main Reef Road. He was told to get out of the vehicle. The complainant saw Metro Police and stopped them. He explained what happened and they drove with him to Burchmore’s. All suspects are coloured males. Investigation continues.

SUCCESSES this week:

· One suspect was arrested for Burglary Business.

· One suspect was arrested for armed robbery.

· One suspect was arrested for Possession of stolen M/V.

• Like 1

Workplace bullying is unfortunately a reality in some companies, but I don't think it is limited to Australia. I've been on the receiving end a few years ago and I can assure you it is not a racist thing - I was bullied (and slapped!) by a 20 year old South African girl! It's all about disrecpect and narcism - you will find it anywhere these days. We live in a very selfish society and we raise our kids to blame everyone else but take responsibility for something. But that's a whole other conversation....

I'm now working for an amazingly multicultural company - 23 staff represented by 13 countries! And we all get along - not only get along but we are close-knit and care about each other. I've actually never experienced anything like this!

If you're getting bullied or treated badly in the workplace, either do something about it, or find another job. I don't think moving to another country is the answer. I'm not unsympathetic - having been there myself - but I think it is a bit drastic to uproot your whole life for that.