Continental Drift - Our Journey

Toitjie

lol...thanx K...I like googling, planning, researching etc. Half the fun of a holiday is the planning...for me anyway

Mike..no worries..I dont mind discussing finances. Jimmy gave me a discount and I paid $ 11 600 for the X-trail. I think its a reasonable price. I have seen some of them that are a little cheaper on carsales.com but then they are in other states, plus I dont know in what condition whereas this one will be given to me just serviced.

On the whole its a bit more than what I thought we should have budgeted for a car, but I think in the long run, if I buy an old car for under $ 5000 wiht over 200 000 km's, I might be getting some serious problems down the road in any case.

Toitjie, Excellent, agree on buying something thats going to last a while, hoping to find something similar, if you have Jimmies email For me I would appreciate it and ask him to keep a lookout for us please, we land on the 31st......car is a priority, lots of coastal exploration to be done......

jimmy_lyttle@lennock.com.au

:)

Thanks, will mail him now......

Ok mailed him thanks, our little Jack Russel went to Karinga yesterday, shew, if you go visit your little one please check on ours too, Her name is Roxy Engelbrecht.......little white one......

Congrats on the wheels and happy motoring. Xtrail is a great choice.

things are really moving now! Congrats on the car :)

LOL on pinterest... really very addictive :) But very very handy especially when you're looking for info on something like DIY or educational / project resources. I love it for finding exciting stuff to do with the kids, we also used it to plan the kids' room, and it's also great for meal ideas and party ideas. :)

Mike - shame, its a hard thing to do but I will look out for her...every time we visit Lucy we walk past a lot of dogs in the Australian quarantine section and each and every one of them sits at the gate with those "please hug me" eyes...Im so sad everytime....but in the bigger scheme of things, they will forgive us and forget about it and enjoy their new lives with us!

HansaPlease - the X-trail is all because of you :) I always read motoring threads with great interest, because Im always interested to read which cars are nice and popular. You recommended an X-trail some time ago and I guess it stuck!

McCabes - thanx! And I agree with the DIY ideas on pinterest...its really something else! At the moment I have sensory overload just by browsing through everyone's pins...its sooooo nice :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

28 October

Less than 4 weeks to go...and the family is getting frantic. How much more I can take of the "skinner" about no-jobs, the crying, the angry reproaches I don't know.

My car has sold in 2 days but hubby's car is a whole different ball-game. According to me, the car is in excellent shape, good bodywork and the engine never gave us a hint of trouble (Chevy Cruze) so when I advertised in Inspectacar told me they will take it. When they saw the car they said now ways, this car was in numerous accidents..and showed me the panel don't exactly line up, slight differences in the colour gray between panels. None of these have I noticed before, I mean..its really very slight.

but according to them they cannot buy the car because of this. We bought the car from GM McCarthy who promised us the car had only 1 owner and never had an accident. So now we are locked in a huge battle as to why they sold us this car. We were never able to verify the previous owner because the service book somehow "got lost" and they gave us a new one and the manager just signed himself next to every service the car had. So Im wondering if they tried to hide something...

This is not something we need right now, I don't know what we will do if we cant sell it, as we still owe a lot of money on this car.

On a lighter note, my brother finally left Amsterdam, visited with us for a while and then departed for Oz permanently. My 9 year old said to him: "See you in the Under Down!"

This is now a standing joke...we are heading for the Under Down...I might just use this as my next journal's heading :)

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 2

I'm liking the "under down" ;)

But the car thing sucks.

I would approach GM McCarthy and ask "what's up". I would say that new service book with manager signing off is a little dodgy (but only ever in retrospect hey?!)

Maybe take it to a few different car dealerships and see if the general response matches that first one?

Shame Toitjie. That seriously sucks.

We saw them this morning and they confirmed that there was an accident - they showed us where (now we can see it)...bleh.

but we took a firm stance that we find this utterly unacceptable, and the guy said he will have to talk to the big boss for a solution and will come back to use before noon..so we wait

was this with GM or the other folk who don't want to take the car after seeing it first-hand?

I really hope it's GM and they will take the car back. That is really awful that they would sell you a car at premium price (I'm guessing) and not even say hey it's been in an accident. :(

We went back to the dealership who sold us the car - GM McCarthy...still waiting for the big boss' answer. Im hoping they will buy it back but Im guessing business is business and they will probably refuse.

The 2IB told us that he does not think we can go into a court battle because then we wont be on the plane the 22nd....which is a veiled threat in my opinion. Hubby just said well then I stay and go later, but we will sort this out, one way or another

Am I allowed to rant a little? I have had so many bad experiences lately with rental agents that I have little self assurance left to phone them again. When I phone them they are completely friendly until they hear me speak, then they become really rude. I honestly don't think my accent is that bad. I speak English every single day working in local government, its not like I struggle, its just a difference in how we sound. Im really a little peeved off.

Yes you can rant. They can be very annoying.

Do you need a hand? I can check out rentals for you and email photos if you like? Are you applying for places while you are still in SA?

I'm trying to apply and when they don't respond to email (there is no way for them to know I'm in SA) I started phoning and got a few contestants for "How rude can I be today" on the line. Are you near Nicholls? I might just take you up on your offer to go and check a house or 2. Thank you for offering K!

Yes you can rant. Grief. :(

Maybe you should mention to them that you've heard how friendly and helpful the australians are and how great it is to be able to have such nice people trying to help you out even though you're so far :P :P :P

I agree with your DH I would push back on that not-so-veiled-threat and state sweetly that even if you DO go, you will appoint someone with power of attorney to keep going with the matter as per your instructions.

Sometimes helps to go onto hellopeter (or whatever it's called now). I did that when I was having no joy with a big-ish company and hey presto they sorted everything out and I heard back from them really quickly. Never underestimate online influence and reviews. *some* companies take it quite seriously.

Good luck with everything!

Thanx...already lodged complaints at HelloPeter, Beeld's consumer forum and the Motor Industry Ombudsman. I HATE this but writing it was a little therapeutic :)

Sorry...the above post is for the car with the issues...not the rude agents....lol ;)

• Like 1

I'm in the inner North so not too far from Nicholls. I'm happy to have a look at places for you during the weekend :)

I think rental agents are very laid back when it comes to potential tenants because vacancy rates are fairly low here so they don't have to try too hard to get applications. You kind of have to spoon feed them a bit and have your paperwork and references in such good order that you make it a no-brainer for them to pick you above all the other applicants.

• Like 1

3 November

I was wondering how everyone else's kids behaved during the last couple of weeks. I know it is said that the kids adapt easier than we do, and we take most of the strain, but my daughter is really worrying me.

She is a happy 9 year old, but of late she developed severe separation anxiety and she cries a lot, over little things which I can see is an excuse to cry about something else completely. She is definitely stressed, and she started saying she does not want to move anymore.

I really feel so bad for her...she is a gentle soul and everything happening is too much. In the last 4 days she picked up 2 baby birds who fell from their nests during the night. Its a habit she got from me, to pick up any stray baby animals that are in need. But they seldom survive, having fallen so far and the process of them dying is horrible. Tonight she picked up a beautiful tiny Grey Loerie, with his little fringe...but I could see he was hurt and he died.

She has tummy aches, and she doesn't eat. Which is stress, in my opinion. And of course this starts just as our medical aid expired ;) but that's the least of my worries now.

I think the rushing from dinner date to dinner date with family members and friends every single day is taking its toll. It certainly is on me, I am sick of saying goodbye. At this stage I don't even want to see anyone anymore.

I think I should give more attention to the kids and not just focus on the last days, last preparations etc. They are definitely feeling strain too...

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 2

Toitjie, I can identify with you. My 6y old started wetting the bed again. We have not eaten at home in 3 weeks. Tomorrow is our last day in our home town and we still have 3 different sets of goodbyes and then another round of family goodbyes the next week. Of course I appreciate that they love us and are sad to see us go (as are we), but it is incredibly draining at the same time.

So, I will be thinking of you.

Toitjie, there was someone on the forum who said they did an open house - let everyone know that on a certain day they'll be having their "farewell" and people are welcome to drop in and say cheers any time during the day.

If you can, maybe reschedule any remaining dates so that they're like this? Let them come to you on one specific day, and then it's done...

Maybe try rescue remedy and pamper her a bit - give her a nightly bath with lavender oil, that should help calm her for the night.

And maybe also have a frank discussion with her - ask her how she's feeling and what she's worrying about, let her pour it out, tell her you feel the same (if you do) and that it's hard for all of you, and it's ok to feel that way, but you and your hubby will always be there for her, and you're moving to ensure a better future for her (well, for you all). Maybe look up the area you'll be staying in on Google and point out all the really great parts (see if you can swing her to feeling more positive). If that doesn't work, maybe take some pics of your house and all the places she knows and loves - her school, her friends, her favourite restaurant and make a scrapbook of memories for her to take with her (so she knows it's ok to miss this stuff and grieve for it all).

Poor child. It just makes my heart ache.

Hope she (and you all) are ok and thing settle down a bit.

Edited by McCabes

And maybe also have a frank discussion with her - ask her how she's feeling and what she's worrying about, let her pour it out, tell her you feel the same (if you do) and that it's hard for all of you, and it's ok to feel that way, but you and your hubby will always be there for her

Thank you McCabes :hug:

You know what she asks me ALL THE TIME? She wants know what will become of her and Aiden if her dad and I both die in Australia. She is absolutely terrified this will happen.

I have spoken to her but I will have to do so again. You are right. and one discussion is not going to make the problem go away.

The saddest thing today was our cat. I told the kids to say goodbye as we had to take our Siamese to the vet, she is ill, but I could not bring myself to say she might be put down. I told the kids the vet might find a nice home for her. but when we got there he told us the cat has kidney cancer and to treat it is very costly and painful to her, so not an option.

Now Im agonizing whether I should be truthful or spare them the details since they are already so stressed. My gut is to be honest. My mom had my dog put down when I was a child and did not tell me until long after and I still blame her for this. I just hope this isn't going to make matters worse.

but however much we want to protect our kids against hurting, they have to learn about death too, and how to cope with loss. It just seems everything is piling up right now!

Hi Toitjie

I once "lied" to my daughter (aged 3 at the time) about a dog who we had to put down. Eventually she found out the truth and she is still upset with me about it. I regret the "lie", but at the time I thought she was to small to understand. In hindsight it would have been better to just tell the truth.

Just my 2c.

• Like 1

I would also be honest - tell them she had late stage cancer and treatment wasn't an option (because it's not, really), and the kindest thing to do was to let her go peacefully so she won't suffer anymore.

Maybe hold a little service for her, let them say a final goodbye... shame hun shew what a tough time!!!

I often have to pull my 7 year old to one side and ask what's up. He's really not a very verbal kid - it's like it honestly just doesn't occur to him to say something, or that there's something to be said or something that should be said. Once when I was talking about something he'd done that was really terrible (can't remember but it was so unexpected I was REALLY mad!), I could see he was heartbroken and asked him if he knows that regardless of what he does or how he behaves, I will always love him? and he said NO - he didn't know that! I was devastated and have made a point of enforcing this message every chance I get. I'm so guilty of just assuming my kids know something when they aren't sure - they think it might be so, but aren't 100% sure, that I think I overcompensate now! ;)

This morning he couldn't find his school jersey, then shrugged and said he doesn't need it, so I said I am going to be so cross if you've lost it, and as he ran out to my hubby's car (he does the morning run), he called back: "but I know you love me anyway." that was so precious to me - I'm so glad he's got that down now :)

So I agree - keep talking to her and give her that reassurance. They equate the stress to a divorce or death in the family, so I think the stress is very real, and needs to be looked after. (which it sounds like you are doing really well).

Hang in there, I hope the kids take the news well and these last days go quietly now.

Edited by McCabes
  • Like 1