Continental Drift - Our Journey

Toitjie

Sorry if I made it sound like ice skating is safe, I was really just joking with Toitjie. It definitely is a very dangerous sport - and I'm sorry to hear you took such a nasty tumble.

• Like 2

I guess every sport has its risks...except chess :P

• Like 1

I guess every sport has its risks...except chess :P

I sprained the left hemisphere of my cerebellum, planning a daring variation on the Sicilian Defence once. Until I recovered, I was a Bulle supporter ..... bad days :blush::cry:

:P

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 3

there is medication for that, you know that right OBD? :P

Yes, slap on the side of his head........I'm with Toitjie, go for it, just be as safe as you can........now after hearing all your tales about horseriding, skating, and.....ahem....chess, I want to tell you that I slipped a disc in my back a few years ago using one of those carpet cleaners you rent from Coles.................so even housework isn't safe....which is why I pace myself with it and have to SLAM ( stop, look, assess, manage) everything...........yeah, hubby works at the mines, he calls me death in the home and had the gaul to say that I don't plan my jobs well and flit from one to another....................that is when I flitted to the fridge and opened a bottle of wine :)

Life is to be lived, sensibly, but fully.

• Like 3

there is medication for that, you know that right OBD? :P

Yes, I ordered a case, but they said they were against mixing it with Coke. B)

Andrea - I requested dear hubby to clean the floor with that blue mop thingy...since I cannot bend down. In the middle of the stick there is this handle that you turn to lengthen the stick...his hands slipped..I have no idea how the hell he did it but he tried to tighten it or something and his hand slipped...he broke his pinky!

if he knows Im telling you this some of my privileges will be taken away :) but that was so damn funny..the poor thing, his pinky looks awful, nice little bump

But a slipped disc is nothing to laugh about, that must have hurt like hell!

• Like 2

It did, and I had an operation and took a year to recover.........and then on Monday the 5th August I got out of bed and coughed and out popped the disc again, so here I am typing standing up, I have been unable to sit for a week and can only walk or lie on my left side, as the sciatic nerve in my right leg is trapped.....I'm off to the doc today and will see a bout a referral for an MRI and if they can possibly give me an epidural injection...........a 400km round trip to Mackay, which hubby will have to drive as I can't........................but listening to all of you and the things you want to do in Australia is giving me a sense of coming up with a plan to get over this and continue to do the things I enjoy...................I wasn't saying that at 4am this morning when I was dragging myself round the house trying to get some relief.........:(

See even old boring housework has its dangers. I say put on your jodhpurs, or lace up your skates or what ever else floats your boat.

How much longer do you have in your robocop suit Toitjie ?

And Andrea that's a long sit in the car - I bet you don't clean carpets anymore. Hope you all get some relief from your aches and pains soon.

I've managed to get an appointment for a CT scan tomorrow in Mackay, hubby will drive and I will have to lie on the back seat and clip myself in somehow.....but hopefully I can get an epidural steroid injection which might take the pain away.......the slipped disc pain is bearable, but the trapped nerve is...." like giving birth with your leg".....or at least that is how it feels to me.

Keep fingers crossed for me tomorrow guys that I am a candidate for the injection....otherwise I fear another operation.....I don't have time for it, I'm too busy trying to live my life!

• Like 2

Wow Andrea, that really sounds awful. I hope you get that sorted quickly! Let us know how it goes, good luck with that trip. Do you think they might have to fuse the vertebrae on either side of that disc together? Maybe that will solve the problem for good

Lyn - have to wear it for 3 months so about 2.5 left :(

A - I hope you get your injection - and that the roads are good, no pot holes ! I had a pinched nerve when pregnant with my daughter, and that was unbearable, so can only imagine what dreadful pain you must be in.

T - in other words you will only loose your Robocop suit near your departure date. Take care of yourself, no more accidents. Nov is looming.

• Like 1

I've managed to get an appointment for a CT scan tomorrow in Mackay, hubby will drive and I will have to lie on the back seat and clip myself in somehow.....but hopefully I can get an epidural steroid injection which might take the pain away.......the slipped disc pain is bearable, but the trapped nerve is...." like giving birth with your leg".....or at least that is how it feels to me.

Keep fingers crossed for me tomorrow guys that I am a candidate for the injection....otherwise I fear another operation.....I don't have time for it, I'm too busy trying to live my life!

Wow, that sounds like being on the wrong side of the Spanish Inquisition. - Not the Monty Python version - no comfy chairs for you ....

Hope whatever they do gets you well and back to being your old insolent self again. ;)

OBD and D will miss you. :)

16 August

I took the kids to visit Lucy again today. I just had to share this video of her. She is absolutely crazy about a rugby ball, its so cute. For those who want to send their pets to Keringa, you can see the size of the pen they are in during the day. At night she is in a smaller enclosure. The log cabins are on the same size pen, but with a full log cabin. It does seem small, but I can see she has adapted well. She plays a lot and there are people constantly in and out, all the staff play with the animals, or so they say...I hope so, and it does look like she's happy, relatively.

• Like 1

Glad to hear Lucy is doing well - but I can't see the video ?

Try a different browser - I can see it.

What a vicious dog ..... :)

Lovely dog, actually.

Don't get techno with me OBD - I'm blonde :blush-anim-cl: - decided to get off the ipad and onto the desk top and voila - there's sweet Lucy.

I would love to know what is going on in her mind - does she understand this is just temporary ? Will be such an amazing reunion for you all in Canberra.

Don't get techno with me OBD - I'm blonde :blush-anim-cl: - decided to get off the ipad and onto the desk top and voila - there's sweet Lucy.

Ipad (ptah) - I fart in its general direction ..... some of us use a HP Slate - (mainly because we got it on an employee deal).

I would love to know what is going on in her mind - does she understand this is just temporary ? Will be such an amazing reunion for you all in Canberra.

I was wondering the same thing. The personnel says she plays a lot whenever they are with her so I guess she must be wondering where we are a little...although animals have different thought processes than we have. She was definitely depressed in the beginning, for 3 days she did not want to eat so there is some emotion..now she is just happy to see anyone

This pen that she plays in during the day is right behind her night-time kennel and when we are walking towards her past the kennel, she can hear our footsteps but not see us. From far away as soon as she hears us she starts with such little crying barks..very sweet

When we got there there was a man coming from the front, just leaving. Collin turned around and asked him if he was ok, his eyes were red from crying. He just sort of whispered yes he's ok, but he wants to take them home and not leave them here...shame I felt for him. He's going to the UK

What a vicious dog ..... :)

Lovely dog, actually.

OBD - I went to Mr Price Sport yesterday to buy her her own rugbyball. I will admit - when choosing I was thinking of you only. There was the cutest pink blue bulls ball but I just couldn't bear the comments that would have received :)

• Like 1

Lucy defiantly looks happy playing with the ball. A pink one would have been perfect.

How much longer has she got at Keringa ? And then this side before the family reunion - before Christmas ?

she has 4 months left this side then 1 month in Sydney so we will only get her middle January

OBD - I went to Mr Price Sport yesterday to buy her her own rugbyball. I will admit - when choosing I was thinking of you only. There was the cutest pink blue bulls ball but I just couldn't bear the comments that would have received :)

\

For a dog, I would have made, maybe one barbed comment and then abstained ..... Dogs love everyone - even if they are doomed to an eternity in Hades, because they support the Bulls ..... :(

Edited by OubaasDik

• 3 weeks later...

3 September

I think I am losing it...for real...marbles...my wits...my mind...Im not sure...but after reading another thread on coping with stress I thought about it.

Stress gets to us in different ways..and since I gave in my resignation some time ago I did not realise it immediately but my resignation is official as of yesterday. Today, my boss emailed me a pro-forma advert of my own post, for inputs! I should have expected it but it threw me, caught me off-guard. Im happy, excited, sad, scared...

Anyway...my coping mechanism is very soothing, but not very economical (you would think I have won the lotto or something, but I haven't. Don't tell my hubby :) . I have bought A LOT of shoes the past week. I cannot get enough :) ...and finally I ended up in the Apple i-store.... ;)

I have been agonizing about a new laptop for so long....and I dont want to make the wrong choice. So finally I sold my soul to that half eaten little apple :)

I decided on the MacBook air (sorry Andrea and HEOJ :) ) and the price was R 13 999. When the clerk rung it up, he said the computer says R 9 999. Im not complaining! This type of luck does not befall me often, so Im happy, and its a newer model with same features, but cheaper!

So...Im the proud owner of an apple, its lying here next to me, Im to scared to open it :) Hopefully the apple and I will find our chemistry

• Like 3

Toitjie,

Most Apple owner are really happy after the lobotomy .... you probably will be too, and you have a dog that can do the thinking for you afterwards, as well.

• Like 3